Print Thread
Hop To
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hi, I have finally got to the range and shot my new Kimber Talkeetna (375 H&H) for accuracy.

I equipped it with Talley quick release rings and Talley bases, both in stainless. I ordered from the Campfire, they were great and sent me exactly what I needed. I am Canadian and had no trouble with the border.

I mounted a 3 X Leopold

I asked a local supplier for the cheapest shells they had, federal 270 grain. Not premium just the plain old blue box ($42.00 canadian). I had 2 boxes.

Previously, I had done a barrel break in for the first 25 rounds with frequent cleanings. I realize that this may be witchcraft but felt it couldn't hurt. It also gave me a chance to get familiar with the rifle.

With open sights at 90 meters (100 yards) I was getting 2 inch groups(3 shots). I was very happy. The sights are easy to see even with 47 year old eyes. The front bead is white.The sights were easy to adjust to centre of the target. If others are doing this, remember to remove the locking screw and sleeve it screws into. The sight were easy to see over the mounts. I used a 6 inch bull for this test.

For scope testing, I use a target with 4 squares around the bull, this helps me line the scope up at 100 yards with a 3X scope http://www.mytargets.com/target105%20grid%203inch%20high%20blk%20corners.pdf

First off I was only getting 8 inch groups,with the scope. I noticed that the rings were sliding forward in the mounts. I tightened everything and got it down to a 5 inch group but the scope was still sliding forward.Both were 5 shot groups.

Well, you can make things idiot proof but a talented idiot will still manage to f--k it up.

I had the rear base backwards, I took everything apart and put it together correctly. No more scope slide.

The first group had 2 bullets touching and the other immediately above, 6/10 of an inch for the whole group . I was 1 inch left and 1 inch high.

I adjusted the scope for point of aim and placed my last 2 shells on top of each other dead centre , 1 inch high at 100 yards.

Well she is a keeper. This is the most accurate rifle I own.

The rifle has had 40 shells through it, function has been flawless and it is very smooth.

Trigger pull is 4LB even , very crisp and feels lighter.

The barrel is not free floated but bedding is perfect

Only problem with the rifle is that it arrived with a small chip in the paint, SIR in Winnipeg has contacted Kimber and is trying to get me some paint. They also are good people.

It is strange, after seeing the little teeny group the chip seems allot smaller, almost unnoticeable.

I hope this report help anyone that is considering a Talkeetna.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like she'll work and thx for the targets, I also have a 3X Leo on my 375 Wby....grins

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.