Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hey guys, check this out, I used a program (www.outdooroutlook.com) to instantly analyze over 13,000 trail cam pictures from last season and this season. Look at the peak in photos during the third quarter of the moon. The second graph shows the comparison by time of day AND age of moon.
Thoughts?
Johnnie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hunter71; 11/20/07.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What do the small white areas in the second graph indicate? Kinda confirms what we all think. Deer move best around the new moon and even then, mostly during darkness. Excellent study.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
that's pretty interesting! thanks for posting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does not bode well for the next week or so...

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. Not much increased activity around noon during a full moon.

Where were the trailcams located? Feeding areas, bedding areas, travel routes, water?

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
ltppowell, the white spots are simply areas where the program is trying to fill the voids. They are meaningless.

Redrabbit, the cameras were all located at feeding sites/baited sites. Since food is the driving force behind deer most of the time, I'd say this is a good indicator of activity.

Johnnie

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting, I always felt that first quarter was best hunting, and then in the evenings.... Shows strong movement there dark to first quarter but both AM and PM....

I"m more inclined to hunt first quarter than I am new moon any day.

But full moon, we've got more than a few photos mid day....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff, If this info applies to east Tx we should see an awesome 2nd rut around the end of the month. My observations make me believe we peaked about the 1st of November, so the second should fall during the third quarter.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
ltp, here is the third quarter, any update?

Johnnie

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
IF one pays attention to the solunar cycle, he can accurately predict peak activity for game or fish based on moon-sun orientations.
Free site, sign up-register and then type in the neares zip code for the area that interests you..Jim:

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hunter71
ltp, here is the third quarter, any update?

Johnnie

Definately secondary rut going on. Lots of chasing Friday and Saturday. Weather today made it hard to hunt. We saw some running does, but I ain't so sure the wind wasn't after them 'cause if the bucks were, they wouldn't come out in the open. Hindsight is 20/20 ain't it?

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Jim, I am not sold on the solunar tables ( I used to hunt by them for years). They often predict "peaks" in the middle of the day. Personally, I've never seen a "peak" in the middle of the day that was more productive than the morning or afternoon. Based upon when my cameras take photographs, they rarely take pictures during the middle of the day "peak" or no "peak".
Not trying to argue, just stating my (and my cameras) observations.

Johnnie

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had a Lot of success on 3rd /last Quarter evenings. I generally wont even get out of bed on/or 3 days before a full moon, to hunt in the morning. Maybe it's in my mind, maybe I just like to sleep in grin
But historically speaking the 3rd quarters of Oct. & Nov. have been "good" to me in the evenings.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Three months of deer season for me generally, three moon phases...

Never paid that junk no mind.

If I want a deer I simply go find one and kill it.......

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well that is "one" way to look at it, and it is true that you can't kill anything unless you go out, but having said that. "Time" to me is very valuable, and I can't spend every waking moment of deer season in the woods, so learning to up my odds has been key to my hunting. The moon phase is just one such factor. Infact the Barometer, Temperature, and general weather conditions play larger rolls in my stratagies than do moon phase. But when you are putting in for vacation leave in Feb. or March for the next hunting season. Third Quarters make a lot of sense to me.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can't know your pain...

I'd guess me livin' in the woods makes a difference.

Was marveling a few minutes ago at last night's "deer activity" just out back of the house, in the fresh snow, there's a few apple trees and such out there.

I could go out now...but I'm not in the mood to gut, drag, skin today. I've a turreted M8 6X to switch over to my inline .50 for next week's late season start.

Livin' where I do...is almost cheatin'.

'Course, I'm not much prone to perch in a tree and waste time waitin' on 'em to move around either.

I tend to go huntin', which means to me, findin' 'em....and killin' 'em.

That my friend, can be done anytime, anywhere, regardless of moon phase.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,611
Posts18,511,737
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.