Home
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Shot Comfort - 06/29/21
What is the longest shot, that you feel comfortable taking at live Game?
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Shot Comfort - 06/29/21
30 yards for me.

I'm out there for the challenge of getting in close. No reason to push the limit for me on game. Most of the time anymore I take my recurve anyway and bump it down to 20 yard limit.

-Jake
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 06/29/21
Deer, with wheels and release....50 yards.
Practice farther though.

Recurve 30 early and late season 20.

Id be happy zipping em all at 10 to 15 though
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Shot Comfort - 06/30/21
I stepped back the other day from 17 to 23 with the recurve and saw noticeably more arc...
given I am still getting to know the bow...
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Shot Comfort - 06/30/21
Too many variables to give an answer....animal position, alertness, what it it's doing etc. Also the terrain and surrounding cover for observing impact and subsequent followup on the shot? Wind? Time of day? Lighting conditions? I will say I practice out as far as 100 yards on the level and downhill shots on the mountain in the back yard. But I hunt within the the 5 fixed pins on my slider sight (0 - 60 yds). Would take a followup way out there if a wounded critter gave me a shot. I really like 20 to 40 yard shots. Under 20 and things can often fall apart. Over 40 becomes much more critical on a variety of fronts but still very doable.

Good luck to the original poster!
Posted By: AEL Re: Shot Comfort - 06/30/21
I'm with Kurt52 - its more about the conditions, animal position, etc. I regularly shoot way farther in practice than I would at game. A couple of things that can help in practice is to borrow from cold-bore rifle practice and make your first shots of a session the hardest. Also, good 3D shoots can help give you an idea of comfort range. I shot in one recently where the max distance on a 25-target course was 112 and the closest was 47. The hardest shots on the course were some of the closer targets that were in difficult settings and at steep angles. Another thing that helps it to introduce some stress into your practice, like getting a quick shot off at odd ranges, or shooting against buddies, especially the type that like to sh*t talk while you are shooting.... I like to pick odd ranges to shoot from too. Instead of shooting at 60-80-100, I might do 63, 74, etc. Its more realistic. All that said, my comfort range in real hunting situations where I'm cold, tired, etc. is probably around half my comfortable target ranges.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Shot Comfort - 06/30/21
My furtherest has been 44 yards, double lunged elk.
Much prefer 30 or less but would take 40 plus in right circumstances. Meaning animal not alert, and broadside or slight quartering away.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 06/30/21
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
30 yards for me.

I'm out there for the challenge of getting in close. No reason to push the limit for me on game. Most of the time anymore I take my recurve anyway and bump it down to 20 yard limit.

-Jake

I like that Jake. Bowhunting has helped to make me a better hunter. Like you said, getting closer.
Hard to put a price on what you learn, when getting closer to your Game!
Bowhunting, has taught me a lot of Patience Also!
Originally Posted by Kurt52
Too many variables to give an answer....animal position, alertness, what it it's doing etc. Also the terrain and surrounding cover for observing impact and subsequent followup on the shot? Wind? Time of day? Lighting conditions? I will say I practice out as far as 100 yards on the level and downhill shots on the mountain in the back yard. But I hunt within the the 5 fixed pins on my slider sight (0 - 60 yds). Would take a followup way out there if a wounded critter gave me a shot. I really like 20 to 40 yard shots. Under 20 and things can often fall apart. Over 40 becomes much more critical on a variety of fronts but still very doable.

Good luck to the original poster!

Yeah, A lot of good points here also.
The Equipment used, and then the Variable's of the Conditions, like you say, all enter in!
Practice, Practice, Practice!
Never a shortage, or excuse for not getting enough practice!
Originally Posted by AEL
I'm with Kurt52 - its more about the conditions, animal position, etc. I regularly shoot way farther in practice than I would at game. A couple of things that can help in practice is to borrow from cold-bore rifle practice and make your first shots of a session the hardest. Also, good 3D shoots can help give you an idea of comfort range. I shot in one recently where the max distance on a 25-target course was 112 and the closest was 47. The hardest shots on the course were some of the closer targets that were in difficult settings and at steep angles. Another thing that helps it to introduce some stress into your practice, like getting a quick shot off at odd ranges, or shooting against buddies, especially the type that like to sh*t talk while you are shooting.... I like to pick odd ranges to shoot from too. Instead of shooting at 60-80-100, I might do 63, 74, etc. Its more realistic. All that said, my comfort range in real hunting situations where I'm cold, tired, etc. is probably around half my comfortable target ranges.

Some more good points and variables to consider!
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Shot Comfort - 06/30/21
I shoot only traditional and have for over 50 years. For me, an elk is too far away at more than 40 yards and a deer too far at more than 30 yards. And I'm talking standing, broadside or slightly quartering away. I've never shot an animal at more than about 27 yards. For me, it's all about getting as close as I can, NOT seeing how far away I can hit an animal. If I can't get close enough, I'll pass up the shot rather than taking a chance at wounding it.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/01/21
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I shoot only traditional and have for over 50 years. For me, an elk is too far away at more than 40 yards and a deer too far at more than 30 yards. And I'm talking standing, broadside or slightly quartering away. I've never shot an animal at more than about 27 yards. For me, it's all about getting as close as I can, NOT seeing how far away I can hit an animal. If I can't get close enough, I'll pass up the shot rather than taking a chance at wounding it.

So when you say Traditional, I'm assuming a re curve, Correct?
I tip my hat to you, I always told my self some day I'm gonna, but never did!
I completely understand, what your saying here about, not taking the wrong shot, and possibly wounding an Animal, I agree!

SHOT COMFORT!
You've explained that very well, also, like the others!

I don't care who you are or how far.
You have to be Comfortable taking the shot, at live Game!

SHOT COMFORT!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/01/21
I dont take shots Im not comfortable with
And yardage doesnt dictate everything
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/01/21
On trad.....style and setup can influence it too

Some folks use the arrow as a sight.
Fixed crawl, face walking ?

Your point on distance might be out a ways, and actually pretty easy to shoot well.

Closer w larger gap may be tougher.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Shot Comfort - 07/02/21
any thoughts on decline?

or

I guess scratch that,
85-98% of 20-49yds is a pretty small reduction in the distance gravity acts in the arrow, though air friction is higher than fir lead.
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/02/21
Adjusting for the declination angle of the shot can be a significant yardage at very steel angles....45* down means about a 30% reduction in the yardage you hold for....40 yards line of sight is shot for 28 yards in my example. You may get even steeper angles in sheep and goat country.

But, besides the shot angle yardage that is calculated by most rangefinders these days, I find it much more difficult to shoot accurately on a steep down hill shot....reducing my effective yardage significantly. Practice some steep angle shots and you will see what I'm talking about.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/02/21
Back in the 80s a club nearby had a steep 60 yarder.
It was an eye opener.

Even today, a lot of folks think shoot the hypotenuse and not the horizontal leg.

Even had a math major ( graduate ) tell me i was wrong, and that gravity helped on downhills.

I asked him why you shoot it the same uphill? And handed him a Lyman reloading manual w the diagram/ explanation.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/02/21
Downhill.... treestands....
Lots a folks dont bend at the waist.
Then theres the change in feel, dropping the arm or pushing up to counter the feeling.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/03/21
Lots of variables, what critter, wind, level of alertness and more. Deer and Whitetails 50 yards, Antelope 90 yards is my furthest. I practice to 120 with the compound daily. My recurve I won’t shoot past 20. I practice to 50 with it.
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Shot Comfort - 07/04/21
I killed one at 45 yards back in my youth with a 45# round wheel bow. I don't why that deer didn't just step out of the way.....It took quite a while for the arrow to get there.

Since then, I limit my shots to 30 yards and under. Every deer I have ever shot at within that range, I have killed, tagged and eaten.

I've left a lot walk over the years, but I'm okay with that.
Posted By: ribka Re: Shot Comfort - 07/04/21
Originally Posted by Sykotik
I killed one at 45 yards back in my youth with a 45# round wheel bow. I don't why that deer didn't just step out of the way.....It took quite a while for the arrow to get there.

Since then, I limit my shots to 30 yards and under. Every deer I have ever shot at within that range, I have killed, tagged and eaten.

It gets easier to let game walk when you age. 40 to 45 yds for me in ideal conditions. 25 yds with long bow. Pass on 10 to 15 yd shot if angle too steep from tree stand.

I shoot at 100 yards and can really see how good your form and follow through is.
Posted By: hanco Re: Shot Comfort - 07/04/21
I’m a 30 yard shooter.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Shot Comfort - 07/04/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
Then theres the change in feel, dropping the arm or pushing up to counter the feeling.

good point.
platform piviot..
set up a decline target off the deck.
that way I can sneak out for a couple..
Posted By: pacecars Re: Shot Comfort - 07/05/21
If a totally unsuspecting, calm relaxed deer with no wind and looking away from me I would say 50 yards. On a pig I might stretch it to 75 yards when I practice at that distance and they need to be reduced on my lease
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/05/21
Back in the 80s a club nearby had a steep 60 yarder.
It was an eye opener.

Even today, a lot of folks think shoot the hypotenuse and not the horizontal leg.

Even had a math major ( graduate ) tell me i was wrong, and that gravity helped on downhills.

I asked him why you shoot it the same uphill? And handed him a Lyman reloading manual w the diagram/ explanation.

Hook,
That's a great analogy!
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m a 30 yard shooter.

hanco'

That's always been my comfort zone, and I've taken many under that.

I would always practice out farther but never took game much past that!

Had a small 8 point(Eastern count), White tail Buck, walk in to 8 feet,(2-3 yds.) while I was standing in a Corn field, stalking!
That was a fun Hunt!
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/06/21
Originally Posted by pacecars
If a totally unsuspecting, calm relaxed deer with no wind and looking away from me I would say 50 yards. On a pig I might stretch it to 75 yards when I practice at that distance and they need to be reduced on my lease

My son is practicing out there at 50-60 yds. getting comfortable.
As I watch him, he's taking a few farther out, to get acclimated.
He's a big fan, as I am, not to take a bad shot, and he's taken it to several levels, with his practical scientific approach, knowing his equipment, and looking at ballistics of his Arrows!

He Can tell me how much arc his Arrow will have at a certain distance, so he knows if he'll hit a branch or not!
Heck, we just guessed if we could make the shot or not back in the Day!

Computers, and all the available tools are there if we want to use them!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

good point.
platform piviot..

They had a big elevated platform years ago at a F&W area.
It allowed one to practice comfortably and safely from it.

Honestly, I just shot a few from a treestand way back, for a few shots and learned how things felt different, accepted it and never worried or practiced it again.

IMHO its the 10 yard and in stuff that poses the biggest difference.

When people shot fingers theyd see a deer at 20 and follow it in to 10, lowering bow arm while holding same anchor.
Changing finger pressures.

That and holding pin on wrong spot, made a lot of shots go high.

Bend at the waist, and aim where you are supposed to smile

Half way up on a broadside out a ways aint the same as halfway up when you are seeing more of the back when tjey are closer
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

good point.
platform piviot..

They had a big elevated platform years ago at a F&W area.
It allowed one to practice comfortably and safely from it.

Honestly, I just shot a few from a treestand way back, for a few shots and learned how things felt different, accepted it and never worried or practiced it again.

IMHO its the 10 yard and in stuff that poses the biggest difference.

When people shot fingers theyd see a deer at 20 and follow it in to 10, lowering bow arm while holding same anchor.
Changing finger pressures.

That and holding pin on wrong spot, made a lot of shots go high.

Bend at the waist, and aim where you are supposed to smile

Half way up on a broadside out a ways aint the same as halfway up when you are seeing more of the back when they are closer.

Have not shot elevated practice for decades. Dont need to
Recurve or wheels i do just fine

Still like em NOT at the base of my tree. Out a little is easier.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by Region6
Lots of variables, what critter, wind, level of alertness and more. Deer and Whitetails 50 yards, Antelope 90 yards is my furthest. I practice to 120 with the compound daily. My recurve I won’t shoot past 20. I practice to 50 with it.

Absolutely,
A lot of Variables!

I agree, if you've done it long enough, a truly ethical hunter, won't take the shot!
Practice, practice, and practice!
Knowing your equipment, and shot placement through practice, gives you Shot Comfort!
In my opinion!

Originally Posted by Sykotik

I'm also okay with that!
I think that's also part of it!
You have to be able to let them walk, if your not comfortable with the shot!

Bow hunting isn't for the Lazy!
The challenge is fun, and exiting!
It might not be for everyone, but that's okay too, but once you get hooked, look out!
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Shot Comfort - 07/10/21
Many years ago I shot an 80# Hoyt. I was shooting 3 or 4 days a week and regularly shot broadheads at 60 yards. I did shoot a small buck at 53 yards. BUT it was across the corner of a soy bean field from one edge to another AND he gave me time to use the range finder.
It is a whole lot diferent than try to shoot in the woods where your arrow has unseen branches along the path of the arrow's arc. Have you noticed how 3D shoots offer longer shots, but the trails are cleared to be wide open? There is a reason for that.
Since going to recurves, my shots now have to be 20 yards and under.
I often hear crossbow guys tout the range of them, but their trajectory is no better than a good compound. And once you get to 40 yards, the momentum is less.
Stay under 30...
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Many years ago I shot an 80# Hoyt. I was shooting 3 or 4 days a week and regularly shot broadheads at 60 yards. I did shoot a small buck at 53 yards. BUT it was across the corner of a soy bean field from one edge to another AND he gave me time to use the range finder.
It is a whole lot diferent than try to shoot in the woods where your arrow has unseen branches along the path of the arrow's arc. Have you noticed how 3D shoots offer longer shots, but the trails are cleared to be wide open? There is a reason for that.
Since going to recurves, my shots now have to be 20 yards and under.
I often hear crossbow guys tout the range of them, but their trajectory is no better than a good compound. And once you get to 40 yards, the momentum is less.
Stay under 30...

Great points! Strayer,
I'm in full agreement with your post!
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Shot Comfort - 07/12/21
Heck, my last two deer taken with a rifle were 16 and 25 yards... if it were not for antler restriction here in PA, I would not even have a scope mounted rifle.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Shot Comfort - 07/12/21
HunterShooter58, Yes, when I said traditional shooter, I meant recurve. However, now I find myself shooting my longbow almost exclusively. It's 64" and #51 at my 28" draw. "D" style longbow with slightly backset limbs. It's a bow I made and a copy of an old Louie Armbruster Zebra longbow, other than the slightly dished handle. I shoot off the shelf, split finger style, wood arrows (mostly lodgepole pine) and three 5" feathers in a left wing helical. Also, I shoot Fred Asbell instinctive style, not gap or "three fingers under" and don't use the tip of my arrow as an aiming point. I've shot this way for over 50 years and for me it works. There's nothing quite like the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. If you want to try traditional shooting, get yourself a copy of G. Fed Asbell's book, "Instinctive Shooting". It's geared towards recurves and gives all the basics. His follow up book, "Instinctive Shooting II" is more directed towards longbows. I highly recommend both.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/14/21
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Heck, my last two deer taken with a rifle were 16 and 25 yards... if it were not for antler restriction here in PA, I would not even have a scope mounted rifle.

I understand that!

Originally Posted by Utahunter
HunterShooter58, Yes, when I said traditional shooter, I meant recurve. However, now I find myself shooting my longbow almost exclusively. It's 64" and #51 at my 28" draw. "D" style longbow with slightly backset limbs. It's a bow I made and a copy of an old Louie Armbruster Zebra longbow, other than the slightly dished handle. I shoot off the shelf, split finger style, wood arrows (mostly lodgepole pine) and three 5" feathers in a left wing helical. Also, I shoot Fred Asbell instinctive style, not gap or "three fingers under" and don't use the tip of my arrow as an aiming point. I've shot this way for over 50 years and for me it works. There's nothing quite like the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. If you want to try traditional shooting, get yourself a copy of G. Fed Asbell's book, "Instinctive Shooting". It's geared towards recurves and gives all the basics. His follow up book, "Instinctive Shooting II" is more directed towards longbows. I highly recommend both.

That's cool as heck!
The old Fred Bear, style re visited!
One of my early heroes!
Posted By: jeeper Re: Shot Comfort - 07/15/21
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

Has been 70 yards back in the day , more like 40 now a days with aches and pains limiting confidence inspiring daily practice.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/16/21
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

Has been 70 yards back in the day , more like 40 now a days with aches and pains limiting confidence inspiring daily practice.

I completely understand that!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shot Comfort - 07/16/21
Ill proly shorten my max a little since my new bow is of lesser #.

Dont care what system a trad shooter uses.
Its all about hitting your target.

Seen too many supposed purists shoot like chit.

What is nice about trad, theres more than one way to shoot a bow well. Experiment and find what system works best for you smile
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/16/21
35 yards with a compound but I rarely hunt with one anymore. Inside of 20 with my recurve. I like hunting with traditional archery but Michigan archery has almost turned into an extension of rifle season. Most of my “archery hunting” now is with a crossbow to extend the season and take advantage of the rut. My longest crossbow kill was 50 yards with perfect conditions, plenty of daylight and a relaxed broadside deer. He jumped the string a bit but it was still a good double lung shot I’m not sure I’d do it again.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/17/21
Ill proly shorten my max a little since my new bow is of lesser #.

Dont care what system a trad shooter uses.
Its all about hitting your target.

Seen too many supposed purists shoot like chit.

What is nice about trad, theres more than one way to shoot a bow well. Experiment and find what system works best for you smile

I agree Hook!

Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
35 yards with a compound but I rarely hunt with one anymore. Inside of 20 with my recurve. I like hunting with traditional archery but Michigan archery has almost turned into an extension of rifle season. Most of my “archery hunting” now is with a crossbow to extend the season and take advantage of the rut. My longest crossbow kill was 50 yards with perfect conditions, plenty of daylight and a relaxed broadside deer. He jumped the string a bit but it was still a good double lung shot I’m not sure I’d do it again.

Sounds like fun to me!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/22/21
Deer/elk, no wind, 40 and 60 yards, Mathews Triax.

Toelke Montana whip longbow, 15 yards [un-alerted], cant do the longbow deal in a tree, hunt them on the ground, got one doe at 9 yards, had another broadside at 6 yards, didn't shoot her, sometimes i wish i would have, when she finally saw me, you've never seen a cartoon character on tv as a kid make that many moves trying to get gone! ; ] had to stuff my face in my elbow to keep everything within 500 yards from hearing me laugh!
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/25/21
HAHAHA!
That's a good one Jerry,
Love gettin close too them on the ground!
You feel like you earned it!
Had a small 8 point,(eastern count),walk in to me as I was in the corn field yrs. ago, on the ground, IN Ohio.
3yds., maybe, 8 feet, about!
Wham, that son of a gun didn't know what hit him!
Jennings Forked Lightning Ultra, 63 lbs. Max.
XX75 Easton aluminum arrows tipped w/Rocky mountain 4 blade fixed ,1 1/4 Razors, 140 grain!
That arrow went clean through naturally, but I didn't find that thing until the next day, cuz he was headin East towards PA.
He didn't go far, giving it all he had, doing the WOOP, WOOP, WOOP, Like the three stooges as he left, with his dew caws diggin in on the hard dirt road, next to the Corn Field, and his hoofs, just a slappin, hard on the ground!
I was laughin my Butt off!

Great memories!
Tony
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/25/21
LOL, yep, good stuff Tony, it was cool getting that close to her, damn near as good as sitting down to a supper table loaded with her friend loin, fresh onions and potatoes with gravy and biscuits, ho lee damn i hurt myself at a dinner table loaded like that ; ]
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/27/21
Love sittin Down to the Table with Her friend LOIN!!!

The Last Two yrs. back, my oldest Son and his Friend and I threw Some Back Strap Medallions, on the Hot pre heated grill, and OH MY!!!
It Was on!

Were still talking bout that Rare Red meat with just the right amount of Rub Seasoning on it, A couple ICE Cold ones!

Like you said, Could hurt ourselves! LOL!!!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Shot Comfort - 07/27/21
LOL, dang right HS58, looking forward to every bit of that again this season ; ]
© 24hourcampfire