Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Which Matthews bow? - 08/23/09

Last time I looked at them the Switchback XT was the best Matthews hunting bow - which one is the curret best.

Rezen ?

Spot
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/23/09
I have two Mathews bows- a Drenalin and Reezen. I really like them both, and have taken game with both.

Don't know that I like one over the other, but the Reezen is faster, with a heavier arrow. I am equally accurate with either.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/23/09
No regrets when I sold both of my Hoyts and purchased the DXT 60/70 pound set at 65lbs. Short and fast.

Ken
Posted By: co_jack Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/23/09
Just got a Reezen, and like it a lot so far. Very accurate and easy to shoot.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/23/09
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Last time I looked at them the Switchback XT was the best Matthews hunting bow - which one is the curret best.

Rezen ?

Spot
Depends of your definition of best.....
Personally I like the Hyperlight and DXT...the only difference between the two is the riser thickness and the DXT has roller wheels for the cables and the Hyperlight has the teflon sliders......really the weight is the difference....and its plenty fast.
The Reezen is a nice bow and dang fast but not as forgiving as the latter......hey if you really want to get crazy get the Monster SL8......IBO of 360 fps whistle
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/24/09

If you get a Rezen 7" vs. 6.5 is "should be" more forgiving.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/24/09
Love my Drenalin LD,never thought I would buy a Mathews with all the hype but I'm glad I did.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/24/09
I have a Reezen 6.5 and a LX both are nice, although you can't get a LX now(discontinued) you can a Reezen. Easy to shoot bow very accurate and fast!!! As per the best current hunting bow I'll say the Reezen if you want speed and a less forgiving bow go with either of the two Monsters!
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/24/09

I'm more of a dead deer from a quiet bow freak than a speed freak.

Posted By: Tom264 Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/25/09
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

If you get a Rezen 7" vs. 6.5 is "should be" more forgiving.
Yes.
Posted By: summitsitter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/26/09
I wouldn't hold my limitions to a Mathews. And if I did there is no way it would be a Monster.Horrible draw cycle.. To me it's kinda like shooting a 300 ultra mag compared to a 308. Most likey if the guns shoot the same your going to shoot teh 308 alot more becuase easier to shoot..There fore becoming better with it.I know weird analogy but maybe you understand
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/26/09
Also understand that in a thread called, "Which Mathews Bow", we like to keep it limited to Mathews-Mathews bows. The Monster being a McPherson bow, but offered by Mathews, and designed by Matt McPherson, Owner of Mathews, we would probably say that it is INCLUDED. Horrible draw cycle (subjective opinion) or not...

Taylor

-[]------->
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/27/09
I think it is best to go a shoot them yourself and see which feels the best. Most Mathews dealers let you demo the various models. I went last year before the season(prior to the reezen and Monster) to try several models out after I sold my LX. It came down to the drenalin, DXT, and Switchback XT for me. To be honest, I couldn't really tell much difference in any of them. The switchback XT fit me very well, so I went with it and feel I made a pretty good purchase. It's about 10fps slower than my old LX, but still plenty fast(295).

Give em a spin and see what feels the best.

loder
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/27/09
I can get Matthews bows at dealer cost. I tried the newest bow this year, the "Monster". It is supposed to be the fastest bow on the market.

I shot my Drenalin and the Monster side by side, giving both the best opportunity to see which is better, I kept my Drenalin. It is lighter, smoother to draw. The velocity difference in most hunting yardages doesn't really matter.

I had both bows sighted in dead on at 20 yards, then went back to 40 yards using the 20 yard pin to check the difference in trajectory...the Monster was only 2 inches higher than the Drenalin with everything being equal.

The smoothness, weight and accuracy of the Drenalin bow is so good, 2 inches isn't worth the extra weight or pull over with the new Monster cam.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/29/09
Ok shot some bows (mostly mathews) and even chrony'd my bow against the rezen.

My bow set a 65lbs kicks arrows at 242 fps

the Rezen set at 57lbs kicks at 267 fps.

WTH! 25 fps faster at 8lbs less pull!

Not to mention my bow is hard to pull compared to the rezen.

I'm sold
Posted By: aheider Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/29/09
Shoot the Hyperlite before you buy... You might like the draw cycle a whole lot better than the Reezen. I know I did! No regrets with the Hyperlite.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/29/09
what weight of arrows?
Posted By: Coolbreeze Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/29/09
Call me an old timer I am still shooting a FX and am very happy with it although if it wasn't for kids in college I would upgrade to the reezen. Any of the Mathews bows would be a good choice.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/30/09

Ok I tried the Hyperlite - it's a heck of a lot harder to pull than the Reezen and not as fast.

Reezen, 28" draw, 70lb draw weight.

I use gold tip xt arrows

Spot
Posted By: aheider Re: Which Matthews bow? - 08/30/09
The Hyperlite has the same cam that is used on the DXT... Never heard that it was hard to draw but at least you tried it. The Reezen might be your huckleberry.

I recently switched from Gold Tip XT Hunters 5575 to Easton ST Epic 400 and they are awesome and fairly affordable. I think the eastons are 79.00 a dz.
Posted By: tzone Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/02/09
I'll take my "quiet" 260 fps from my Outback and spend the $1200 I save on a new Rezen on women and beer...the rest I'll just waste.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/04/09
I'm also sticking with my Outback for now....why fix what aint broke
Posted By: BareBack_Jack Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/04/09
I had the original Switchback IMHO was the best bow Mathews made.I sold it last year to buy the dxt.Didn't like it so I traded it for the 6.5.The 6.5 had a bit more had shock that I like.
The shop didn't have everthing I needed for it so I waited for it on order.In the mean time the Monster came it.My bow guys said I have to shoot it.So I did and let me tell you it is he better bow.
Not a dual cam fan,not a split limb fan,but this bow is smooth and fast,fast.I'm shoot 70# 29 inch draw 330 gr arrow(I know under spined hear all the time) but it tunes nice. I get a sizzling 353 FPS.
BBJ
Posted By: one horn Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/04/09
There is a reason the switchback is still in the lineup (aka s2)
Posted By: ranger53 Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/06/09
I don't have a mathews, but I do have 2 mission bows. One is the UX2 and the eliminator. The UX2 is the smoothest dual cam bow I've ever shot and down right accurate. I can go up to 70lbs., but I have it set at 58 lbs. And it's oh so quiet. The eliminator, I will say is the best of all the bows I have, and I've bought 4 this year. There is absolutely no hand shock, and I don't here anything until the arrow hits the targets of mine. Mathews was smart putting out a line of bows, that everyone can afford. All mathews and mission bows of course come with the zebra hybrid strings which is a plus.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/06/09
I looked at the Rezen, but it just didn't feel as good as my Outback and i just couldn't see paying more for less . I will stick with my Outback for now and use the money on another Lilja or Shilen barrel.
Posted By: Blkram Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/07/09
Personally, I shoot the Drenalin LD...and absolutely love it! ....but that's due to the fact that I'm a 31" draw and all of the other Mathews bows mentioned above stop at 30 or 30 1/2"" draw lengths, or are no longer currently available.

The best bow for you is going to be the one that feels the best to you when you draw and shoot it. And that will most likely be the model that is 4" to 6" longer axle to axle length than your draw length. This will provide you with the smoothest draw cycle and give you more stability. But do yourself a big favour...be honest with yourself...regarding your strength and shooting form. Picking the right bow for your abilities now, will pay you huge rewards as you shoot your new bow.

The Drenalin has to be one of the smoothest and best performing bows on the market today. It's light, it's quick, it's forgiving, it's smooth and it's quiet. And with proper hunting weight arrows, most guys (even with shorter draw lengths and lower draw weights) can still get enough speed out of them to get complete pass throughs on bull elk, out to 40 yards, if they do not contact heavy bone. What more is required than that?

The best reason to move to a shorter bow would be if you are mostly a treestand or groundblind hunter and require the compactness due to space restrictions. Other wise the weight saved by buying a DXT or Hyperlite over a Drenalin isn't enough of a reason to give up smoothness of draw and stability.

If speed is your thing, than the Reezen or the Monster are definitely faster...but keep in mind, you are giving up brace hieght, which equals forgiveness to shooting form flaws. You are also going to be getting into bows that produce more handshock. But for a measley 5 fps the Reezen 7.0 or the Monster are going to be more forgiving to shoot in both models due to the longer brace heights. Also keep in mind that tuning these bows becomes a greater challenge, and that they require heavier arrows to make them perform better...as the norm.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/08/09
Originally Posted by tzone
I'll take my "quiet" 260 fps from my Outback and spend the $1200 I save on a new Rezen on women and beer...the rest I'll just waste.

A reezen is only $725, if you pay 1200 who's selling it to you?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/08/09
I've been shooting fairly crappy but Ok bows for years.

My first bow was an onieda Eagle, second was a PSE nova, third was a Jennings Buckmaster G2xL. Now I'm shooting for the first time the Matthews.

I think the ease to draw back the bow is highly under rated, my main reason to upgrade was that pulling back my 65lb buckmaster was much more difficult than the reezen. That and the Reezen shoots a lot faster, and I had extra $$ from selling a rifle so I'm re-investing some coin.

Spot
Posted By: centershot Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/08/09
I was pleasently suprised when I drew a 63# Monster. I was expecting the feel to be similar to the PSE 2 cam, but wow, that was smooth - could definately tell it is a speed bow, but not as bad as expected. IF I were to buy one I would consider 50# peak weight. It would draw and shoot like a 60#'er with an IBO of around 305. In the end there is no free lunch. A fast bow will draw harder than a slower bow - The stored energy has to get there somehow.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/10/09
In the end that's why I got the Reezen, more speed for less draw weight, and smooth as a 27 year old thighs is just icing on the cake.

I've got a 28" draw, so I get more speed than a guy with a 26" draw anyway, but dropping the pull weight 5-7lbs and incresing speed - come on!

Spot
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Which Matthews bow? - 09/23/09
I gotta love the "NEW" S2....(Switchback 2)...........547.
© 24hourcampfire