Home
Posted By: moon222 Hoyt Bows - 12/03/11
Are Hoyt bows made better?? In regard to bearings & Limb pockets??
Posted By: B_Lance Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/03/11
Hoyt has many years of experience with quality manufacturing and they build one of the most bulletproof products on the market.

Are they better....than what exactly? All of the top brand name manufacturers make a very good bow..... I've put thousands of arrows through Hoyts, Mathews, Bowtech bows and all were excellent.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/03/11
Howyt's are very good bows but so are alot of other brands.If you asked what is the very best compound bow on the market today,you would probably get atleast 10 different answers...Some things on a bow are more important to some shooters than others which makes the best,a personal choice thing.

Jayco
Posted By: GuyM Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/04/11
Dunno about that, but I've got a couple of Hoyt recurves from the 1970's that still shoot very well. Never bothered buying any other bows.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/04/11
This comes down to a lot of personal opinion, some based on facts some not. The big three all make very good bows that if taken care of properly will last you more then a lifetime. Of course bows will advance in a lifetime so many feel the need or just want to buy the new stuff. Every company in every industry has that 10% that slips thru the QA department over the years. So you will hear stories of people that have had or know someone that had a bad experiance with every company. So I am not going to tell you who has the "best bows". What I will tell you is that for over 25 years I have been shooting Hoyt compound bows. I have had one issue with a Hoyt bow that was totally my own fualt as I fell walking into my stand in the dark crossing a typical New England stonewall. Hoyt replaced the limbs in three business days no questions asked.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/04/11
Yep, Hoyt has great customer service. I own 4 hoyts.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/04/11
I have a 32" Alphamax and couldn't be any more pleased but my Bear Truth 2 has never disappointed me either.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/04/11
Hoyts are great bows, I just prefer Mathews a little more. Simplicity of design and the ultra thin limbs of the Mathews give them the edge for ME.

It's all just a matter of opinion.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/04/11
I have two Hoyt Ultratecs that have performed flawlessly since 2003 they make great bows, but wouldn't mind trying a Matthews to see if I have been missing anything!
Posted By: fyshbum Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/05/11
I have owned and shot Hoyt bows for most of my adult life. I have won several State championships, countless regional tournaments, and taken the majority of my archery killed big game animals with my Hoyts.

I have a pretty stong brand loyalty to them.

I have shot others but always seem to come back to them. I know there is a lot of subjectivity to "the best". I just always liked their products and their customer service, in the few times I have needed it, has been outstanding.
Posted By: Whisky Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/06/11
I have no brand loyalty when it comes to bows. There isn't a bad bow made by anybody nowadays. Right now I'm shooting a Hoyt, but I've also owned a Mathews and PSE. It comes down to what specs you want and what feels good for you. You need to figure out what you want in specs and shoot a few side by side. You'd be surprised that a lot of times the bow you think you want based off all the internet talk, isn't the bow you buy.
Posted By: Blkram Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/06/11
With regards to Hoyt's bearings and limb pockets being better than other brands parts, I have found them to be of good quality and have had very few problems with them as a bowtech for the past four years.

Other than owner abuse, I have not seen any failures. By this I mean dry fires, for the most part....but I have found that bearings can and will also fail over time from people who draw and shoot with poor form, as the bearings are subjected to torque forces that they are not designed for. You will also want to keep an eye on your top cam for cam lean. It is nice to see that Hoyt is now serving there yoke on the cable, so that cam lean can now be corrected.

But I have to also say that I have found the same results with Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Bear, Quest, and Athens.

Customer service from Hoyt has been good.

Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/11/11
Ive shot Mathews for the past 8yrs (Icon, Switchback,Switchback Xt,DXT)getting ready to buy a new bow not sure if a Bowtech Destroyer 340 or a Hoyt CR35,they are all good bows .buy the one that feels best
Posted By: db102550 Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/11/11
I shot Mathews for years and still own my original Q2XL but had a little falling out with the local dealer so went over to Hoyt. I've owned three diffrent Hoyts over the past few years, Viper Tec, Alpha Max, and now a CRX. In general I prefer the Hoyt grip to the Mathews. I also shoot an Elite Pure. I guess each one had its own unique qualities that I liked. I like the Elite for the smooth draw and valley for 3D and spots but prefer the CRX for the hard wall for hunting. I have mended ways with the Mathew dealer over time but just haven't found a good reason to leave Hoyt.
Posted By: dcd Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/11/11
was a pse loyalist but hoyt changed that.
Posted By: prm Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/11/11
Count me in as a big Hoyt fan. I really can't say if their design is better, but I've never had a problem after thousands of shots through by Vectrix. I've shot the Matthews but really can't warm up to their feel, particularly the grip. Purely a personal preference issue of course.
Posted By: maconcountyboy Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/20/11
well its like this if you have an eye for quality you can look at a hoyt and recognize it.if you like 2nd hand stuff then the other brands may be for you.i have never had a hoyt fail me in 10 years and 10 different bows.before i shot hoyt i shot another brand bow that uses those cheap 5 dollar limbs and they broke.nuff said
Posted By: Winnie Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/21/11
I have a older Hoyt that looks like crap but it is a awesome bow to shoot.

To be honest, I do not like the looks of the newer Hoyt's. If I had the funds I would buy a Bowtech or Stroher SX-1.
Posted By: Redbone311 Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/21/11
Originally Posted by B_Lance
Hoyt has many years of experience with quality manufacturing and they build one of the most bulletproof products on the market.

Are they better....than what exactly? All of the top brand name manufacturers make a very good bow..... I've put thousands of arrows through Hoyts, Mathews, Bowtech bows and all were excellent.

All the top manufacturers bows are pretty equal. Or they wouldn't stay in business long. They all make good bows. It depends on you needs, style, and preferences.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/27/11
Hoyt is a great old time American archery brand. I really tried and want to love them. I just cannot get past those ugly risers. What the hell were/are they thinking? I wish they could just use a regular riser like everyone else. I have seen others say the same thing, so I guess I am not alone.
Posted By: nomad_archer Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/28/11
Originally Posted by ULA24
Hoyt is a great old time American archery brand. I really tried and want to love them. I just cannot get past those ugly risers. What the hell were/are they thinking? I wish they could just use a regular riser like everyone else. I have seen others say the same thing, so I guess I am not alone.

Its all in the eyes of the beholder. I like the look of the hoyt riser but what is matthews thinking with the waffle house special. Different opinions because some really like the look of the new matthews bows Im just not one of them.

Between me and the wife we have 4 hoyts. I came over from matthew because I just couldnt get the grip and the back wall to work for me. So its really a personal preference.
Posted By: hoyt3 Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/28/11
All depends on what you like. I started off with an old Browning, then went to PSE, then XI, then to Pearson, then to Hoyt, now to Bowtech. My Guardian is 3 years old and is still the best bow I've ever shot/owned. It's a personal choice.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/28/11
Hoyt is a great used bow find. They were considered TOP of the line during the 1990's.

TR
Posted By: CBB Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/29/11
Ive had a hoyt trykon since 06 and i absoluly love it. i had a Bear code before that and it worked great for 8 years also.. buy the bow that feels the best in your hand when you shoot it.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by Sherwood
Hoyt is a great used bow find. They were considered TOP of the line during the 1990's.

TR

Thems fighting words. Some archers still feel Hoyt is the best.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/29/11
Originally Posted by nomad_archer
Originally Posted by ULA24

Its all in the eyes of the beholder. I like the look of the hoyt riser but what is matthews thinking with the waffle house special. Different opinions because some really like the look of the new matthews bows Im just not one of them.

Between me and the wife we have 4 hoyts. I came over from matthew because I just couldnt get the grip and the back wall to work for me. So its really a personal preference.

I like Mathews just fine, have to agree on that new riser pattern though. It is ugly to my eye.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by Sherwood

TR

Speaking of which, a 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32 just followed me home for what considered a hell of deal.
Posted By: Winnie Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Speaking of which, a 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32 just followed me home for what considered a hell of deal.

Nice! Are you going to kill a elk with it?
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/31/11
Gonna try
Posted By: Winnie Re: Hoyt Bows - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Gonna try

I can help you next year. whistle

grin

Good luck!
Posted By: FNG Re: Hoyt Bows - 01/02/12
I bought my last bow in 2004. It is a Hoyt Dynamax and it kills things. It has also never given me any reason to go buy another. The elk in my avatar is this years proof that I still don't need to shop for a bow. "Just" a cow for those wondering...
Posted By: ab_bentley Re: Hoyt Bows - 01/31/12
At the top it's all Ford or Chevy. Adam
Posted By: eyeball Re: Hoyt Bows - 01/31/12
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
I own a Matthews so i don't need customer service. grin
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Hoyt Bows - 02/01/12
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
I own a Matthews so i don't need customer service. grin

Do not worry....you will.

Last year a buddy that had a Matthews lost his entire bow season due to a bow problem and a delay in getting it fixed.
Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: Hoyt Bows - 02/27/12
I have a new Hoyt Vector 32 it has a great build quality, I also picked up a G5 Quest for backup, and I am impressed with the fit and finish of the G5 right up there with the Hoyt. it has sealed bearings in both the cam and idler wheel and nice adjustable limb pockets and the finish is nice.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Hoyt Bows - 03/03/12
I've had a few compounds and so far, like Hoyt the most overall. Shoot what feels good to you.
© 24hourcampfire