Home
Posted By: WBill Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
How many trad guys do we have on the fire?

How many of you are struggling with accuracy, shooting form, tuning, sharpening broad heads, selecting equipment, or in general, etcetera?
no disrespect to you in any of the earlier posts.... I just started shooting traditional after Christmas and I'm eat up with it!!! reading and watching everything that I can to learn, I've been shooting a compound since the mid 70's (Martin Oscelot)
going to my first trad 3D shoot this Saterday to meet some trad shooters and pick up some helpful tips
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
I've been pretending to shoot trad for like 12 yrs now.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
I've been at it over 40 years and struggle with it almost every day. smile
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
I've shot traditional (Recurves) since I started shooting a bow around the age of 5. I have been fortunate that my father is also a long time trad shooter, I have learned a lot from him and reading the likes of Asbel, Wensel, Don Thomas, Jay Massey.

I have thought about going to a compound at times for game like Elk to increase my effective range but know if I shot more I'm pleanty effective to 40 yards, and have seen Dad make some 60+ yard shots on targets (never game). Seems I heard tell of Paul Shaffer shooting a sheep at somewhere around 90 yards? So I know it can be done, it just a matter of practice.

It's both fun and frustrating at times, but I know it's mostly "operator error" smile

Posted By: MnFn Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
I started in 1965 or so. Put it on the back burner for a few years because of family responsibilities until 1990. One of the reasons for the hiatus is in my opinion to do it right, it takes a lot of time and preparations, and family comes first for me.

It is my preferred method of hunting, although I do hunt a little with my rifle also.

Regarding the aspects you mentioned, I have pretty well ironed them out. I have owned bows made by Robertson, Pronghorn, Shrew, Kota, Blacktail as well as Bear, Indian and Shakespeare. My current main hunting bow is a Blacktail Recurve- 53# @28", 60" long. I shoot that one the best, but I do really like Pronghorn longbows as well. Of the bows that I regularly use, they are all in the 53 to 59 lb range.

Tuning can be difficult at times. I have settled on Sitka Spruce arrows with 160- 180 grain two blade broadheads. I have used KME products for sharpening(and they work very well with great customer service) but have gone back to filing/stropping single bevel grizzly heads.

My range is limited to about 25 yards when hunting. I am very serious about that. I did not take a shot at a bull elk in Colorado that came in to my call at about 35 yards for instance.

I do not know about Paul Schaffer's 90 yard shot- it may be, but he was an exceptional archer and I would never attempt that distance. To me it is all about getting within 20 yards or so. That is the challenge to me. I have had mature bucks very close and it is a rush. I can think of two different very nice bucks. One came in on the opposite side of the tree that I was in, the second one almost ran me over- I could have reached out and touched him with my bow as he ran by.

Except for the dead of winter I try to shoot daily. Even then I will shoot a few times in the garage just to keep up my strength and muscle memory. I think good form and repetition leads to accuracy. I like to stick to one bow for the entire hunting season, and lately that has been my Black tail. If my arrows are not going where I want them to, I try to analyze my form and for me most often it is not engaging my back muscles in the draw sequence.

Google Tradgang, it is a great resource for traditional bow hunters. Good luck, it is a great past-time.
Posted By: WBill Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
no disrespect to you in any of the earlier posts.... I just started shooting traditional after Christmas and I'm eat up with it!!! reading and watching everything that I can to learn, I've been shooting a compound since the mid 70's (Martin Oscelot)
going to my first trad 3D shoot this Saterday to meet some trad shooters and pick up some helpful tips

Going to 3D shoots is certainly a good way to start. Don't get to wrapped up about equipment at this point just watch the better shooters closely as to form and then watch the guys that are struggling and their form. Once you see the difference in good shooting form, practice the good form. Standing in front of a mirror will help you get to good form. Most good shooters have everything in line with a pull through release.

Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Normally when I hear stuff like this means you are usually pretty efficient at what you doing. Modesty is all ways a good trait.

Originally Posted by ltppowell

I hear that! Seems the older I get, the more bows I shoot, the more I struggle also.

Originally Posted by TakeEm
I've shot traditional (Recurves) since I started shooting a bow around the age of 5. I have been fortunate that my father is also a long time trad shooter, I have learned a lot from him and reading the likes of Asbel, Wensel, Don Thomas, Jay Massey.

I have thought about going to a compound at times for game like Elk to increase my effective range but know if I shot more I'm pleanty effective to 40 yards, and have seen Dad make some 60+ yard shots on targets (never game). Seems I heard tell of Paul Shaffer shooting a sheep at somewhere around 90 yards? So I know it can be done, it just a matter of practice.

It's both fun and frustrating at times, but I know it's mostly "operator error" smile

You certainly had a head start above me. Having a father to help guide your way was something I did not have and mostly learned on my own.

A lot of good writers in days gone by. It used to kill me waiting for the next Traditional BowHunter to hit the mail box reading the stories written by Paul Schafer, "Too Short" Paul Brunner & the Wensel Brothers. Plus re-reading Fred Bear, Howard Hill & others adventurers.

I had several conversations with Paul Schafer regarding shooting and practicing at longer ranges. Shooting an elevated rest with plastic fletched aluminum arrows tipped with Zwickey Eskimo broad heads. And according to Barry Wensel the best instinctive shooter he has ever seen.

But in order to play that game you pretty much need super human strength and heavy poundage bows.
I only gave up the wheels in the late 90s. I happened to bowhunt elk one year with a guy that used a longbow and I immediately knew that I wanted to go trad. I wish I'd discovered it earlier, but such is life.

Posted By: Hoyt Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
I started shooting recurves in the late 50's went to compounds a few yrs after they came out.

The shorter the compounds got the less I liked them and finally came back to recurves about 5yrs ago.

I avoided a release for many yrs. and when I did finally got to one due to shorter bows I always hated it..never trusted them and didn't like the draw cycle and using the muscles needed to pull string with a release.

When I was talked into putting a peep site on my string that did me in with compounds. Couldn't half see through them and didn't like the way it took almost everything out of my view.

Wish I'd came back to recurves many yrs sooner. Enjoy shooting much more now days. I really never liked shooting my compounds just to shoot. I'd practice just a little right before the season and that was it. I shoot my recurves just about every day during off season when weather is better. Shoot as much as I can during season also.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
I mostly shoot trad only 3D. I'm not much of a bow hunter or gun hunter either. I enjoy all the shooting sports and particularly bird hunting. I've shot recurves for 35 years off and on but only seriously for about 10 years. I run the full spectrum from Osage selfbows to Italian Olympic barebow risers and high end ILF rigs. Most of my hunting bows are 50-55lba and target bows 35-45 lbs.
Posted By: ScottH Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
Started shooting a recurve in the late sixties, skipped a few years hunting to raise a family. The last five years I have probably been more serious and been having more fun shooting than ever before.

I need to shoot as often as possible (daily is preferred) to gain the confidence needed to pursue any game animal.
Posted By: deg967 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/17/14
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

This...plus a decade and a half
Posted By: Glynn Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/18/14
Switched from rifle to bow in '95 and rediscovered hunting all over again.

Luckily I had a great teacher in traditional and have been surrounded by good shooters ever since.
Posted By: aalf Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/18/14
Started with the recurve back in the early sixties, and moved to the early compounds when they came out. I never did use a release, so when I made the move back to traditional in the mid nineties, it was an easy transition to make.

I've killed bear, deer, caribou, and elk with the recurve since......
I got my first traditional bow in 2012. I had tossed up the idea,looking and shooting several bows for two years or so and ended up ordering a new Black Widow. They were very helpful tuning the bow when I picked it up and to be honest I have not changed a thing. I'm really not worth a crap shooting it past 25 yards but I am content with closer shots most days. I read tons and tons after I got the bow on shooting form and such then just shot the daylights outta my bow. I managed to take a doe the fall of 2012 and in spring of 2013 got a turkey and hog with it. The hardest part for me was coming to grips with myself that I just can't shoot it as accurate as a compound at a distance,I gave up on that and just try to have fun with it. Last weekend we went out rabbit hunting and I finally hit my first moving target with it. I have 3 friends that have got recurves since I got mine and that makes for some good laughs when we all get together
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/22/14
I have not hunted with a recurve for two years on the trot. I used to prefer it.(Several Decades) I have Bears,a Brackenbury, a Ben Pearson,and a Colt recurve. I think the most big game animals I have harvested with a single weapon (Rifle or Bow) is a Bear Super Grizzly with Fascor. It truly is a fine way to hunt. Hope to get back after it this year.
Originally Posted by prairiedog223
I got my first traditional bow in 2012. I had tossed up the idea,looking and shooting several bows for two years or so and ended up ordering a new Black Widow. They were very helpful tuning the bow when I picked it up and to be honest I have not changed a thing. I'm really not worth a crap shooting it past 25 yards but I am content with closer shots most days. I read tons and tons after I got the bow on shooting form and such then just shot the daylights outta my bow. I managed to take a doe the fall of 2012 and in spring of 2013 got a turkey and hog with it. The hardest part for me was coming to grips with myself that I just can't shoot it as accurate as a compound at a distance,I gave up on that and just try to have fun with it. Last weekend we went out rabbit hunting and I finally hit my first moving target with it. I have 3 friends that have got recurves since I got mine and that makes for some good laughs when we all get together
great post, sounds like your having fun and thats what it all about!
Posted By: centershot Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/22/14
I love shooting trad bows. My current affair is with a Toelke Whip Longbow. Currently shooting inside because it's too dang cold to go out. But punching paper is pretty fun and a good way to work out those form bugs. Shot a 261 NFAA round with it last week. Not to bad considering the shooter! Fun stuff.

IF your struggling and have questions on gear, tuning, form etc then the book "Shooting the Stickbow" is an awesome resource. It runs about $20 from Amazon or any online retailer - like a shooters bible for reference.
I've just started again with a 45# Samick Sage, after becoming dissatisfied fiddling around with sights and adjustable rests and such on my old Bear compound. I have plenty of firearms to attach gear too, and wanted simplicity.
Shooting instinctively off the shelf with nothing but a strip of Velcro is humbling, but satisfying and a good learning experience. I am shooting carbons though... wood arrows are a bridge too far for me at this stage and good carbons are pretty simple and forgiving.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/28/14
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
I am shooting carbons though... wood arrows are a bridge too far for me at this stage and good carbons are pretty simple and forgiving.

I've made built wood arrows for 25 years from cedar shafts. They are actually more forgiving, and quiter than carbon. On the other hand, I shoot more carbon than wood, because they actually cheaper in the long run and penetrate better than wood because of the smaller diameter and faster spine.
Started in the mid 1970's. Grew up about three miles from Hall's Arrow. First bow was a fiberglass long bow my mom got me. It killed a lot of squirrels and carp along the banks of the Hockanum river. From there I got a York recurve and a Howard Hill long bow. Around 1985 or so I started getting into compound target archery. I never gave up on the long bow but limited it to hunting mostly.

Now I split my time between compound and Long bow. Currently shooting a Dan Toelke XX Whip. Planning on ordering a Toelke Whip takedown soon.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/29/14
Guilty as charged.

Stick bows and 'curves, love-hate-frustration-joy-fun-disgust-pride-shame-nirvana
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 01/29/14
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
Guilty as charged.

Stick bows and 'curves, love-hate-frustration-joy-fun-disgust-pride-shame-nirvana

Yah..it's like golf, but not gay. smile
Posted By: Aught6 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/02/14
Been at it for nearly twenty years. Recurve so far but hope for a real long bow some day i.e. a tall one not a short one with thick limbs. No offense to anyone that runs a short-fat long bow.
I think everyone struggles a bit with it from time to time if you don't shoot everyday and I mean everyday. It doesn't take me much to get back in the groove though. I know some folks find it frustrating but I just find it a peaceful challenge. I find the impossible pursuit of perfection of it intoxicating and addictive. I've owned every newfangled latest greatest compound back in the day and now you couldn't give me one. Well maybe so I could sell it and buy more trad gear. I'm no expert and don't know everything about tuning and history like some guys. What I do know is I like the simple stuff better and I can kill with it just fine. I am starting to get into putting together my own arrows. I won't say "build" as that to me means starting with cutting up rough stock and rounding out your own arrows and "building from scratch. Me I'll start with pre fab shafts and glue on some feathers and points for now.
Posted By: crossotter Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/02/14
Always used the traditional bow but the last 7 or 8 years my bird dogs have won out over the bow hunting. Can't stand the looks they give me when I leave them at home so I mostly just target shoot, still the dogs think they should fetch the arrows!
Posted By: CRS Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/02/14
I switched to traditional in 1993 and haven't looked back. I started with a Bear Whitetail II in 1985.

I have hunted with selfbows to hybrid longbows and everything in between. Cane to carbon arrows. Never played with any ILF bows though.

Have hunted frogs to moose, sometimes successful, sometime not. Hunted from FL/TX to Alaska. Always had/have a good time.

I struggled mightily for the first 10 years, then everything seemed to click. I don't consider myself a fantastic shot, but can hold my own most days, shine other, and really stink it up on yet other days.

My main focus is hunting, and honestly if it wasn't for that, I probably would not be shooting a bow.

I have never enjoyed any of the competitive type shooting sports, and it followed me to archery equipment also.

I love helping get people started in the right direction, but consider myself no expert.

Posted By: LostArra Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/02/14
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
I am shooting carbons though... wood arrows are a bridge too far for me at this stage and good carbons are pretty simple and forgiving.

I've made built wood arrows for 25 years from cedar shafts. They are actually more forgiving, and quiter than carbon. On the other hand, I shoot more carbon than wood, because they actually cheaper in the long run and penetrate better than wood because of the smaller diameter and faster spine.

I love making and shooting wood arrows. Mine are never pretty but they seem to fly right. Good cedar has a soul and hickory are almost indestructible plus they could be used as a club in a pinch.

But I agree about carbon's being cheaper. They are also perfectly straight and stay that way, consistent in spine (usually) and much easier to change point weight for tuning purposes. Buying bare shafts as blems keeps the cost down too. I do not cut shafts for tuning purposes. I cut all my arrows, wood and carbon, to the same length and adjust weight in the front end with points/bh, adaptors and inserts. I'm not joining the gap/instinctive/aiming discussion but I shoot better with arrows the same length.
Posted By: JGray Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/05/14
I've shot stick bows since I was a kid and started bowhunting right out of high school in '79 - mostly recurves then. I've been making my own wood arrows since then and have dabbled in bow building since the late 80's - selfbows initially, now laminated longbows. I do shoot recurves better, but enjoy longbows more. I love shooting arrows more than about anything, but haven't been very succesful hunting with a bow.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/05/14
56 years old...shot em since I was 14...enjoy compunds too though. Mostly Black Widow bows...love em!
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/06/14
Just started 2 years ago with a Sarrells Blueridge longbow. 2 shots at live targets so far, 1 dead pig and 1 missed turkey, don't think I will go back to wheel bows, trad is too much fun and plenty frustrating!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
don't think I will go back to wheel bows, trad is too much fun and plenty frustrating!

I've said that many times over the past 40 years. Then I got hungry. smile
Posted By: CRS Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/06/14
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Just started 2 years ago with a Sarrells Blueridge longbow. 2 shots at live targets so far, 1 dead pig and 1 missed turkey, don't think I will go back to wheel bows, trad is too much fun and plenty frustrating!

I have three Sarrell's Blueridge S/R longbows. They have quickly become our go to bows.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
Guilty as charged.

That's what I get too, plus being proficient [practicing] with handgun, rifle and shotgun, is screwing with my traditional bowshooting. cry mad

Gunner
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/08/14
Another trad addict here. I have three long bows, a vintage Ben Pearson fiberglass, a Jerry Hill, and a Seven Lakes Longbow.
Then, for recurves, there's the Bear Takedown, PSE take-down, two Nirk Rebels, and several kids recurves.

I make my own arrows (though it has been a while) and use cedar, carbon, and aluminum, depending on the intended use.
I can't stand plastic vanes and stick with feathers.

The rest of the world can have their compounds with all the gadgets and accessories, I'll be here, stuck in the past and loving it. grin

Ed
Can a compound really be considered a 'bow'? I say no.

It's an arrow launching device, sure but... grin
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/08/14
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

String rifle. I "love" it when a magazine or TV show refers to a compound as a "stick and string". WTF? confused whistle
Posted By: JGray Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/09/14
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Ha! My Dad always laid that one on me when I fiddled with compounds as he shot next to me with his Bear Grizzly. We both ended up with Howatt Hunters and called a truce!

Yea, forty-two years and thirty-some deer later--it's kind of like golf except not as silly.
I have a Black Widow PMAIII and a Bear Montana Longbow.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/09/14
Once it warms a bit, the Toelke is coming back out. Gives my shoulders a little time to heal up too. It reminds me of playing a musical instrument, which I can't:). But I will get back on the horse this year and attempt to get good enough out to 20 yards.
Posted By: DZG Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/09/14
I started out about 35 years ago shooting my dad's hand me down Bear at 60 lbs. I lived for shooting that thing, and only managed a few varmints, a coyote or two, and a few nutria.

In 1980 I had Jim Brakenbury build me my first Drifter at 68 lbs. I started building Port Orford cedar arrows and really became one with my bow. I shot several Mule Deer, and a few nice Elk.

My father watched the enthusiasm and after Jim died tragically, we both ordered bows from Wes Wallace, Jim's long time boyer and friend. We both had success each shooting elk together over the years.

My wife also shoots a Wes Wallace recurve, but has found it harder to pull as she get's older. She has a Hoyt compound now and has shot a couple of deer, but yet to get her first elk. She got really close to spoiling the rest of her bowhunting career a few years ago in the Missouri Breaks in Montana when she shot under an enormous bull!

I had a Hoyt compound made up for me and gave it a go for a couple of years and destroyed everything I loved about archery hunting. Range finder...check, Release....check, Pins...check,...Peep...check, gadgets, gadgets, gadgets! No more draw and release.

At 61, I now only shoot my Brakenbury and Wes Wallace and truly love spot and stalk hunting again. Am I as effective beyond 30 yards? No, but I really don't care, and I am one with nature again and love it! Traditional Bowhunting is where it is at!

Posted By: JGray Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 02/10/14
Originally Posted by DZG
In 1980 I had Jim Brakenbury build me my first Drifter at 68 lbs. I started building Port Orford cedar arrows and really became one with my bow. I shot several Mule Deer, and a few nice Elk.

My father watched the enthusiasm and after Jim died tragically, we both ordered bows from Wes Wallace, Jim's long time boyer and friend. We both had success each shooting elk together over the years.

I remember very well when Jim passed away. I had just started hunting with a new guy from work who shot a compound. When I showed up with a longbow, he was very interested so I loaned him a recurve to get the feel of it. When he was ready to order a bow, he asked me who to talk to and I told him Jim Brackenbury would be at the top of the list. He had been talking to Jim on the phone and we were planning a road trip to visit him and shoot some of his bows before ordering. My buddy asked Jim if we could come down that 4th of July weekend and he replied he would be on the river. My buddy called the following week to order a bow only to find Jim had just passed away in that rafting accident. He ordered a bow anyway and I'm pretty sure Wes is who built it.
Posted By: DZG Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 03/11/14
It was a very sad day for many bow hunters that knew Jim and carried his bows. My Drifter is also 68# @ 30". Wes Wallace remembers he and Jim building it for me. It is truly the smoothest shooting bow I have ever carried. I also have two Wes Wallace Custom bows that I truly love. My wife also shoots her Wes Wallace. Jim and Wes are truly two of the finest bowyers of our time. True craftsman that will sit down and discuss traditional archery and help everyone. I am speaking in past and present tense. We lost Jim but he will always be remembered in our hearts. Wes to this day is available to help young and old archers with their bows and equipment. He is going to build me a second set of limbs for my Brackenbury at a lower draw weight. They will be identical because he built my original bow in Jim's Shop. Who knows..... I might come home with another Wes Wallace Bow. Godspeed to Jim & Wes
Started shooting trad back in 89. I have never looked back or missed the compound thing,Boy how the compounds have changed.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 03/28/14
Originally Posted by DZG
. I lived for shooting that thing, and only managed a few varmints, a coyote or two, and a few nutria.

Dood...unless your coyotes are retarded (which I doubt), they're ain't much better of a trophy with traditional tackle!
Posted By: DZG Re: Traditional Bow Hunters - 03/30/14

[/quote]

Dood...unless your coyotes are retarded (which I doubt), they're ain't much better of a trophy with traditional tackle![/quote]

Well they may be retarded...don't know? I have called in a fair number of them with an elk calve call during elk hunting. They get real curious and a couple real dead.
© 24hourcampfire