Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I started out about 35 years ago shooting my dad's hand me down Bear at 60 lbs. I lived for shooting that thing, and only managed a few varmints, a coyote or two, and a few nutria.

In 1980 I had Jim Brakenbury build me my first Drifter at 68 lbs. I started building Port Orford cedar arrows and really became one with my bow. I shot several Mule Deer, and a few nice Elk.

My father watched the enthusiasm and after Jim died tragically, we both ordered bows from Wes Wallace, Jim's long time boyer and friend. We both had success each shooting elk together over the years.

My wife also shoots a Wes Wallace recurve, but has found it harder to pull as she get's older. She has a Hoyt compound now and has shot a couple of deer, but yet to get her first elk. She got really close to spoiling the rest of her bowhunting career a few years ago in the Missouri Breaks in Montana when she shot under an enormous bull!

I had a Hoyt compound made up for me and gave it a go for a couple of years and destroyed everything I loved about archery hunting. Range finder...check, Release....check, Pins...check,...Peep...check, gadgets, gadgets, gadgets! No more draw and release.

At 61, I now only shoot my Brakenbury and Wes Wallace and truly love spot and stalk hunting again. Am I as effective beyond 30 yards? No, but I really don't care, and I am one with nature again and love it! Traditional Bowhunting is where it is at!

Last edited by DZG; 02/08/14.

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DZG
In 1980 I had Jim Brakenbury build me my first Drifter at 68 lbs. I started building Port Orford cedar arrows and really became one with my bow. I shot several Mule Deer, and a few nice Elk.

My father watched the enthusiasm and after Jim died tragically, we both ordered bows from Wes Wallace, Jim's long time boyer and friend. We both had success each shooting elk together over the years.

I remember very well when Jim passed away. I had just started hunting with a new guy from work who shot a compound. When I showed up with a longbow, he was very interested so I loaned him a recurve to get the feel of it. When he was ready to order a bow, he asked me who to talk to and I told him Jim Brackenbury would be at the top of the list. He had been talking to Jim on the phone and we were planning a road trip to visit him and shoot some of his bows before ordering. My buddy asked Jim if we could come down that 4th of July weekend and he replied he would be on the river. My buddy called the following week to order a bow only to find Jim had just passed away in that rafting accident. He ordered a bow anyway and I'm pretty sure Wes is who built it.

D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It was a very sad day for many bow hunters that knew Jim and carried his bows. My Drifter is also 68# @ 30". Wes Wallace remembers he and Jim building it for me. It is truly the smoothest shooting bow I have ever carried. I also have two Wes Wallace Custom bows that I truly love. My wife also shoots her Wes Wallace. Jim and Wes are truly two of the finest bowyers of our time. True craftsman that will sit down and discuss traditional archery and help everyone. I am speaking in past and present tense. We lost Jim but he will always be remembered in our hearts. Wes to this day is available to help young and old archers with their bows and equipment. He is going to build me a second set of limbs for my Brackenbury at a lower draw weight. They will be identical because he built my original bow in Jim's Shop. Who knows..... I might come home with another Wes Wallace Bow. Godspeed to Jim & Wes

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Started shooting trad back in 89. I have never looked back or missed the compound thing,Boy how the compounds have changed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DZG
. I lived for shooting that thing, and only managed a few varmints, a coyote or two, and a few nutria.

Dood...unless your coyotes are retarded (which I doubt), they're ain't much better of a trophy with traditional tackle!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

[/quote]

Dood...unless your coyotes are retarded (which I doubt), they're ain't much better of a trophy with traditional tackle![/quote]

Well they may be retarded...don't know? I have called in a fair number of them with an elk calve call during elk hunting. They get real curious and a couple real dead.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.