Home
Posted By: Tahnka 3D Target realism: What gives? - 12/04/19
Howdy,

In the "age of aluminum" (shafts), Mckenzie targets were always my choice due to their realism and attention to detail. Since the re-formulation of the foam in 3d targets to allow for extraction of carbon shafts (or at least I THINK this is when it happened), why is there no longer a manufacturer that constructs animal targets that have even the vaguest resemblance to actual animals?

All offerings now, including "Delta Mckenzie" look like poorly cobbled cartoons. Heads and bodies entirely out of proportion, silly facial expressions, body shapes that follow no lines of natural flow, etc.

Pretty darn disappointing. I used to have a quite respectable 3d course on my property. Looking at reconstructing it, but I don't want it looking like a collection of Saturday morning characters.

Any explanation? Who's got the inside skinny on this?
Rinehart.
Originally Posted by WTM45
Rinehart.

Pretty much as good as it gets.
Just reviewed their webpage: Rinehart's offerings illustrate precisely what I am talking about. Sunday funnies, not even close to an accurate representation as the old Mckenzie targets were. My suspicion is that the new foam does not allow for such detail, but that does not excuse not even a "try" by the sculptors.
Originally Posted by Tahnka
Just reviewed their webpage: Rinehart's offerings illustrate precisely what I am talking about. Sunday funnies, not even close to an accurate representation as the old Mckenzie targets were. My suspicion is that the new foam does not allow for such detail, but that does not excuse not even a "try" by the sculptors.

Then snap a picture of the animals you want as targets and shoot at those! You either can put the arrow where it needs to be or can not! A target is a target, you either know the kill zones or do not. A life like imagine isn't going to change that!
Funny Deer don't seem to know the difference. Had a few deer try to fight and hump my 3D Rinehart targets.

https://www.rinehart3d.com/3d-targets/deer-targets/
R&W makes the best and most realistic 3D targets IMO.
SFCSNOW: Thanks for that. (RealWild targets). Head and shoulders (pun intended) above the rest.
I see the resemblance smile smile smile I guess Center Mass is the heart??????

https://bigshottargets.com/product/coyote/
Bwhahahahaha,

LOL. Phouc.

grin

I'm with you, MCH !
If I'm remembering correctly,McKenzie was derived from their taxidermy forms. I too had a nice personal 3D course back in the 90s. They were nice targets.
© 24hourcampfire