Home
Posted By: SDupontJr Reloading table and location - 02/14/21
Starting to get into reloading after a long talk with a buddy of mine.  Yes, yes I know times are really difficult getting items, but I did manage to get a Hornady Lock N Load kit which will at least get me started and can add as needed.  I have a room in my house the wife calls "game room".  Its not big, about 10' x 10'.  The CPU is in there and other crap.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I'm debating on building a small table in here which will only be about 2'x4' with shelves with doors.  That way I can close the doors and won't have to hear it.  It would look like any other piece of furniture.  OR I have a 30' x 60' shop, insulated walls and could build whatever I want out in there.  I just finished my bathroom and countertop area for processing and cooking. 

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The only problem is my shop doesn't have AC or heat, YET.  Not sure when I'll get it but I would like to get something just to knock down the humidity.  That being said, The humidity here in south Louisiana can get as thick as pea soup.  Is or would there be a problem with building it in my shop and having the powder and primers out there with no climate control?

for your heating/cooling

look at a Greer mini split heat pump system

Your humidity is awful....................sorry

I live in Utah.....you lick your lips & pick your nose

Powder/primers like a stable/dry enviornment...

My storage is 62* & probably 20% humidity

Reloading ? Hornady dies are on the bottom of my list

Depending on cartridge of course....

Redding---Forster---Lee----RCBS

good luck with your project.........
A small reloading bench is all you really need. Your 2'x4' idea is a good one.
My small reloading bench is a Microwave Oven cart from the big box hardware store. IT has a butcherblock top, 3 x 3 legs with locking casters a small drawer and shelves beneath. At the time it cost $89.00, much cheaper than I could build something comparable. It sits next to the gun vault most of the time, although for large volume loading it can be rolled next to the main bench for added capacity. Main bench is a similar situation, it is a baker's table from the unfinished furniture store, thick butcher
block top, 4 x 4 legs, two storage drawers and two shelves.
Think about a 2x shelf mounted to your wall studs with steel shelf brackets:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-18-in-x-16-in-White-Heavy-Duty-Shelf-Bracket-14835/202824731

Takes a 2 x12 and a 2x6 screwed onto the brackets. Need about 6' of wall space. Strong enough for mounting a press and a bench vise. Enough room for scale, powder measure and loading blocks. Total cost under $50.

Used this setup on a wall in my garage for many years. Add more shelves above or below for storage or more tools.
I've built a few 2' x 4' benches for reloading. I've got several setups, one in the garage, one in the basement, and one in the cabin. I like the small ones. Plenty of space for loading tasks.
Like everything else, more space is better.

Not like everything else, DON'T store powder and primers in the heat and humidity!
You can do a LOT with a 2'x4' reloading bench, its likely all you will ever need..Good luck..Hb
I have alot of scrap aluminum tubing. Could also weld up an aluminum stand and cap it with wood top and shelves. Then have the aluminum powder coated to match stuff in the house. Trying to keep peace with wife. Ha.
I built my bench out of quarter sawn white oak and ash. Top is 30"x5 foot x 5/4 oak. Legs, apron, and spreaders of ash, 2 1/2 x 4 legs. Furniture grade finish throughout, because it sets in the middle of my living room. (May be yet another reason I'm a bachelor!) Bulk storage of components is in a utility room, basic components and tooling resides in several foot locker-sized dovetailed oak and cherry chests next to the bench. I find that 360 degree access to the bench is really nicer than having it butted up against a wall. Stools and chairs on both sides.

Lighting is as important as the bench and storage. I rely on a halogen setup at the bench (or "dench" as I call it because it doubles as my desk too) but the main drawback is the bloody extension cord - I keep tripping over it, but I find it easier to curse it than to figure out a solution!.
Been building a loading room myself the last month or so, after moving to Idaho. Place has a 24'x66' shop garage, and also has an 8'x10' enclose room in the shop. Decided to go with the small room, as it is well insulated and heated. Built the bench 2'x6'. Thought it might be a little small, but is working out fine.No matter how big the bench, it would just be a catch all anyway. (im bad that way). more shelving, and I will be all set!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Wanted to also mention previous owner had left over flooring, and I used that over doubled up 3/4" plywood. Makes for a real nice surface.
Way, way too neat 😀
I can fix that,real quick!!
Ken, that's a great idea, but I'll have to wait. The back half of my 30x60 is an indoor batting cage for my sons. Hell graduate this year and unless he goes play college, which is a good chance, I could do that. Build a small room and install a mini split in it to control temps. But that'll have to wait.
Thoughts on a good place/setup for reloading....
Use a good secure place people will leave alone... meaning if you have younguns.

a large bench is not needed, but then you need more storage space nearby.
My reloading bench was originally slopped together by a guy who was a lot taller than me. Have never thought much about shortening it because of a good amount of storage space below. I just bought a good quality tall stool to sit on.

Just went n measured my bench. Its 2' x 4' on top and i have plenty of room Two shelves below and 2 above. At first the i covered the bench top with a Masonite kind of paneling. Later i used good quality Linoleum on top of that. I have 2 presses but only mount one at a time on the bench.

My reloading place is in my basement which is nice on very hot summer days or on cold winter days. I store powder and primers there. Cool and stable. My primers are in dessicators.[sealed containers with silica gel to absorb moisture.] The kids grew up and are gone. As said above, provide yourself with good lighting. My fluorescent light, daylight tube, does not influence my digital scale.

Build yourself a reloading place that is functional AND adjustable. Change what needs changed. Add what you will need and use. A lot of storage space. Buy what you need and then some. That storage space is meant to be used. :-) Get at least 2 manuals and use information from internet. Find a mentor to help you. Be safe. Its a fine hobby.
good advice. large bench not needed if just used for reloading. I am building a seperate bench just outside my enclosed loading room for rifle work, mounting scopes, cleaning, etc.
Counter space is nice, but for actual reloading, you don't need anymore than a 2'x3' space. Here's what I like:

For cleaning and working on guns, I like using my portable bench and roll around work table:
These rifles are both being glass bedded ^^^^^

Counter space is key for doing other chores, as are cupboards. Cupboards are excellent for hiding your reloading components:

Peg boards for hanging chidt:

Bench grinders, vises, and roll away tool boxes are good too:
Consider mounting the press on a stand instead of a table, desk or bench. With most reloading presses, you will end up putting a lot of torque on the edge of the bench surface. That's why people tend to build really stout benches even though they don't hold much weight. It's an attempt to withstand the torque of bearing down on the press. Consider that a lot of the heavy construction on reloading benches doesn't actually help with the problem. People tend to overbuild the whole bench, but the bench edge that needs to resist torqueing often remains inadequate. If you focus on the force the press is actually transmitting to the bench edge, you'll begin to see what actually needs to be reinforced. I decided that building a bench edge to resist this torque wasn't the best way. Instead, it makes more sense to me to mount the press on a stand. Not only is it easier to build a stand to resist the torque without flexing, it also isolates the press from the items on the bench, like the powder scale, loading blocks with brass carefully arranged and filled with power, primer trays and so on. None of that is stuff that I want shaking with every press stroke. Also notice that benches are rarely the correct height for a reloading press. So many people are pleased with the result of raising their press using an Inline Fabrication mount. The raised mounts are a kludge. For one thing, the steel on the Inline Fabrication risers is too thin. They're 3/16" steel. Quarter-inch, three-eighths, or even half-inch would better resist the torque from the press handle. Instead of installing the steel mount plate on a 7.5" or 9.75" riser above a wood bench-top, it makes more sense to have a steel support column going from the bottom of the press all the way to the floor. If you fabricate your own stand, you can customize the press height to your preference. I like to stand when reloading. Some people prefer to sit. Different press designs and handle-lengths also result in different optimal mount heights. The press stand can be bolted to a concrete floor with anchors or it can remain portable on a pedestal base. I used a giant brake disc discarded from a heavy truck for the base. A steel wheel could work. A base could also be poured in concrete. I prefer a low-profile base that doesn't get in my way, so I would favor bolting a floor-flange with anchors or using a 1/4" plate with a larger area. Obviously, a press stand requires much less area than even small benches. You may or may not want a bench as well. You'll find that a beam-scale is best read at a height much higher than most benches. You don't really need a bench for cleaning either. You can put rifles and shotguns in a gun vise and the gun vice is best mounted on a stand rather than sliding around on a benchtop. Even for cleaning handguns, I prefer to use a small utility cart with a work surface. 18" x 24" is more than enough, and it's easier to keep it free of clutter. Large benches just accumulate clutter and create a never-ending task to find a better place for all of it.
Holy crap BSA. Even have the Miller tucked away under there. Ha.

Western, I did consider building a stand after talking to a buddy about having to beef his up.
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
Holy crap BSA. Even have the Miller tucked away under there. Ha.

Western, I did consider building a stand after talking to a buddy about having to beef his up.

BSA's space highlights a lot of interesting points about a good gun space.
Sure he only has a few square feet dedicated to reloading, but he also has 5 or 6 additional work spaces, some with dedicated tools, others where he can swap them out, and lots of storage, some with locks.

The concrete floor is also nice, often you are working with solvents, grinding, sanding, etc. so I prefer a functional floor, and not something too nice for this work space.
Harbor Freight makes a heavy grinder bench for $30. Strong ,mobile and easy to put anywhere. Also one a little larger if needed.
Posted By: NWT Re: Reloading table and location - 02/17/21
It’s always way more comfortable 12 months out of the year being in heat or ac.
You don’t need a full blown bench for now to make precision ammo. Look at something like a LEE freestanding
Reloading press stand. You can use your desk when you want to weigh powder charges with your scale, resize cases, and fill cartridges.
Loews or Home Depot should have some some nice looking premise cabinet(s) that you can screw into the wall to store your reloading equipment and components.
I built mine from some plans I found on the internet. My room is 7X10 and I put it on the back wall. I insulated the room good and put a 110 window unit for cooling and use a.milk house heater in the winter. It keeps it comfortable to work. The plans I used makes a very strong bench. The front edge still flexes a little resizing big cases.
Originally Posted by Texson2
Harbor Freight makes a heavy grinder bench for $30. Strong ,mobile and easy to put anywhere. Also one a little larger if needed.

This is what I use for the base of my reloading table. Attached to the top I have a 2'x3' top off a computer table. Just make sure the press is lined up with a couple holes in the top of the grinder bench and it works great. Not a lot of room so I have to be by a nearby table or bench to put parts and pieces on until ready for work on the bench. I have a press, trimmer and powder thrower permanently attached and have a scale and concentricity gauge that I move around as necessary. Works pretty slick and does not take up much space. FWIW: I have a big plastic toolbox that holds all the small stuff and get put under the table when not in use.
I bought a couple of metal base with a butcher block type top from sams club. I think they’re 6’x2’, and were about $200 or less each. With the price of lumber now, it might be worth looking into. You have to put them together, and it takes 20 minutes. But they’re nice and strong. These are what I got. They cost $210 now. In my opinion I’d rather be out in the shop than in the house. And you can never have enough outlets and storage cabinets or bench space.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086?xid=plp_product_4
Originally Posted by Scurvy_dog
I bought a couple of metal base with a butcher block type top from sams club. I think they’re 6’x2’, and were about $200 or less each. With the price of lumber now, it might be worth looking into. You have to put them together, and it takes 20 minutes. But they’re nice and strong. These are what I got. They cost $210 now. In my opinion I’d rather be out in the shop than in the house. And you can never have enough outlets and storage cabinets or bench space.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086?xid=plp_product_4

I bought one of those 5 years ago. Nice and solid, plenty of work space. They also make a 4 footer for 139.00. For a nice cabinet I bought one of these
https://www.samsclub.com/p/6-drawer...34?xid=cat-_carousel_garage-cabinets_0_9
Rolls under the table for nice compact work area.
Posted By: EdM Re: Reloading table and location - 02/26/21
I'd head over to Harbor Freight and see what they have. My youngest recently began handloading and bought his bench there.
Originally Posted by EdM
I'd head over to Harbor Freight and see what they have. My youngest recently began handloading and bought his bench there.

They have a bunch of shït made in China.
A couple of apartment dwellers that shoot at the range bought the ANYSIZE WORKBENCH KIT from Northern Tool.

© 24hourcampfire