Home
Posted By: mmanincor Ladder test question - 04/14/21
I have never performed a ladder test. Research I found talks about shooting at 300 yards and recording chrony readings and marking each shot. My question is what difference does the distance make if your 1st node is based off of the flat speed readings? Thanks, Mark
Posted By: Hudge Re: Ladder test question - 04/14/21
Originally Posted by mmanincor
I have never performed a ladder test. Research I found talks about shooting at 300 yards and recording chrony readings and marking each shot. My question is what difference does the distance make if your 1st node is based off of the flat speed readings? Thanks, Mark

Lower velocities maybe. I’ve done a total of 4 ladder tests and they were all at 100 yards. I used muzzle velocity as I have a Magnetospeed. In all but one of my ladder tests, I got a low and a high node. The velocity difference was over a 100 FPS on those as well. Only one though was at or near max load according to the Nosler manual.
Posted By: HaYen Re: Ladder test question - 04/14/21
Originally Posted by Hudge

Lower velocities maybe. I’ve done a total of 4 ladder tests and they were all at 100 yards. I used muzzle velocity as I have a Magnetospeed. In all but one of my ladder tests, I got a low and a high node. The velocity difference was over a 100 FPS on those as well. Only one though was at or near max load according to the Nosler manual.

Could not have said it any better. The only reason why some folks say use 200 or 300 yards is the difference in drop at those distances are more noticeable. So, for example, w/o a Chronograph you would look for the two rounds that were the closest together and somewhere in between those two would be an accuracy node. Like @Hudge stated, I typically find two nodes that are accurate.

With my chronograph, I will load from min to max; keep the same POA for each shot; and watch as each hits just a little higher. The one difference I have noticed is with each shot the speed keeps going up and at some point one will shoot just a hair slower than the previous or the difference is very small (like a few feet per second). Those shots will also group closer. I will poke and prod around that charge a bit using 3 to 5 round lots. Anyway that how it has worked for me. YMMV

HaYen
Posted By: boatboy Re: Ladder test question - 04/14/21
Tag
Posted By: boatboy Re: Ladder test question - 04/14/21
Tag
Posted By: DoubleRadius Re: Ladder test question - 04/14/21
I know that some folks put a lot of faith in ladder tests, but in reality most are seriously flawed. One or two shots at each charge means nothing statistically, but I guess if it makes you feel good then go for it. 300 yard ladder groups have more to do with extreme velocity spread than anything else. Just be advised that ladder test results may not be what you think they are.

Posted By: mmanincor Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21
Thank you all. I appreciate the info. I don't have palns do such testing as I don't a chronograph. I was more curious what the distance played into it when the chrony is so close. Thanks, Mark
Posted By: kingston Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21
I do a close variation on the Satterlee Ladder test, which are of little utility when preformed at ranges under 400yards.
Posted By: kingston Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21
Basically, you're looking for the broadest range of any variable (powder charge, seating depth, etc.), which lands bullets in the same spot. This can be done with and without a chrono. I color coat bullets with Sharpies to help keep track of impacts on a single target. I use white blueprint paper for targets. The applied sharpie color is left on the paper when each bullet passes through.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ghostrider272 Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21
Tag
Posted By: mmanincor Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21
I like that sharpie idea.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21

Same here. When I find my velocity node, I load 3-5 more of each charge and may split the difference. I then shoot for groups with those 3-5 shots, 5 shots usually. The one that gives me the best group is what I then load. You can play with seating depth and adjust accordingly.
Posted By: HaYen Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21

+1
Posted By: HaYen Re: Ladder test question - 04/15/21

.... When I find my velocity node, I load 3-5 more of each charge and may split the difference. I then shoot for groups with those 3-5 shots, 5 shots usually. The one that gives me the best group is what I then load. You can play with seating depth and adjust accordingly.

+1 A lot of great advise for the OP on this one
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Ladder test question - 04/16/21
Kingston got it right, velocity has nothing to do with a ladder test.
Nothing shorter than 300 and 500 is better.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ladder test question - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by sherm_61

David Tubb says he does his ladder testing at 200 yards. That's the distance I prefer as well. Beyond that and you have more variables that inadvertently effect the testing.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Ladder test question - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by kingston
Basically, you're looking for the broadest range of any variable (powder charge, seating depth, etc.), which lands bullets in the same spot. This can be done with and without a chrono. I color coat bullets with Sharpies to help keep track of impacts on a single target. I use white blueprint paper for targets. The applied sharpie color is left on the paper when each bullet passes through.

You should show pics of the colored bullet holes. All of my bullets leave black holes. This is caused by the bullet burning the edge of the hole in the paper.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Ladder test question - 04/16/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by sherm_61

David Tubb says he does his ladder testing at 200 yards. That's the distance I prefer as well. Beyond that and you have more variables that inadvertently effect the testing.

There variables in anything your shooting no matter what distance. I know Record holder1000 BR
Shooters who shoot ladders at 1,000 yards.
Not taking anything away from David Tubb his accomplishments speak for themselves.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Ladder test question - 04/18/21

In all but one of my ladder tests, I got a low and a high node.

Here's why. This may also explain why it's not a function of bullet speed, but barrel harmonics.

I still like Dan Newberry's Optimum Charge Weight (OCW) method better than a ladder.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ladder test question - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kingston

You should show pics of the colored bullet holes. All of my bullets leave black holes. This is caused by the bullet burning the edge of the hole in the paper.

The color shows fine. I've used that method in the past. I prefer the OCW method over a ladder test though.
© 24hourcampfire