Home
Posted By: Esox357 Chronograph recommendation - 04/28/21
Looking for a decent chronograph sub 200.00 dollar range if possible? Don't need anything fancy, something to check my loads.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/28/21
Magnetospeed Sporter is about that price I think.

I’ve had one for years and wouldn’t be without.
ProChrono DLX. Accurate and inexpensive. It has an app that Bluetooth's to your phone and records the info.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/28/21
Magnetospeed sporter- works very well, not sunlight or cloud sensitive, very easy to set up.
Originally Posted by M1Garand
ProChrono DLX. Accurate and inexpensive. It has an app that Bluetooth's to your phone and records the info.

Went that route, abit w/o the bluetooth.

Works good, and was < $100 on sale.

GR
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/28/21
Thanks guys!
I just bought a mag sporter and like it so far.
Originally Posted by Garandimal

Went that route, abit w/o the bluetooth.

Works good, and was < $100 on sale.

GR

Yep, I had the ProChrono Digital before that for around 20 years or so. Excellent chrony.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/29/21
I have a Magentospeed Sporter and my only complaint is having to retighten it on magnums after 2-3 shots. Outside of that I like it.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/29/21
Great. Thanks again. Think I'll order a Prochrono. The Magneto was out of stock at Midsouth!
Posted By: Bugger Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/29/21
Magnetospeed - this is my second chronograph. I hate screens one reason - it seems to be windy here a lot, but even if there would be no wind, I do not like screens!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/29/21
Thats a good point. Hmmm....
Posted By: Brad Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/30/21
Prochrono... save yourself some money and get the basic unit.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Magnetospeed Sporter is about that price I think.

I’ve had one for years and wouldn’t be without.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That’s the one. Berets is 100% correct.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/30/21
Thanks guys
Posted By: beretzs Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by Hudge
I have a Magentospeed Sporter and my only complaint is having to retighten it on magnums after 2-3 shots. Outside of that I like it.

I squirt a little Super 77 spray glue on the plastic V spacer. Let the Super 77 harden up, but it now has a little squishiness that grips the barrel much better. You have to reapply every once in awhile but it got rid of the slipping and having to retighten all of the time.
The magento sounds good but I work up loads and chrony at the same time so that puts it out for me.
The magento sounds good but I work up loads and chrony at the same time so that puts it out for me.

If you can rig it independent of the barrel, it works OK. Have posted this before. JB has a similar set up. It takes a longer bench.

I built this one to fit the tailgate of my Z-71. Works OK.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Hudge Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/30/21

I do the same thing and use a Magneto. Many say they get about a one inch POI shift. I have noticed it on about 50% of my chronographed loads. My 270 WSM was one I saw no POI shift at all. What I do now though is ladder test with it and then when I narrow it down for groups, I do not use the magneto speed.
The ProChrono is great, but mine has sat on the shelf ever since I bought a LabRadar a year and a half ago.
Posted By: 79S Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

If you can rig it independent of the barrel, it works OK. Have posted this before. JB has a similar set up. It takes a longer bench.

DF

So much for a lefty shooting off your tailgate bench..
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Chronograph recommendation - 04/30/21
Well I ended up going with ProChrono DLX at 106.00 from midway. 10.00 shipping plus tax. I appreciate the recommendations!
Originally Posted by 79S

DF

So much for a lefty shooting off your tailgate bench..

Build a mirror image.

Shoot it from the left.

DF
[quote=M1Garand]The magento sounds good but I work up loads and chrony at the same time so that puts it out for me.

DF

[/quote

DF How far can your set up be from the MS before it won't read.

Thanks
The bayonet needs to be right under the line of flight and parallel with the bore. About like when mounted on the barrel.

I check after each shot to make sure it’s close enough and not in line to get blasted.

Haven’t shot one yet.

DF

Edited to better answer your question. It picks up shots pretty well. I’d think over an inch it may not. I’ve not tested it’s limits. Usually half inch or so it works well.

Thought of another question. Will a big bullet register farther away than a tiny one?

Maybe someone knows. Never crossed my mind to test that.

Anyone who has the ProChrono, does muzzle blast effect it? I’ve heard people say it needs to be set up 15’ or so from the muzzle? Thoughts?
Posted By: Brad Re: Chronograph recommendation - 05/14/21
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Anyone who has the ProChrono, does muzzle blast effect it? I’ve heard people say it needs to be set up 15’ or so from the muzzle? Thoughts?

All chronographs should be set up 10-15' from the muzzle. Having used the ProChrono for 30 years now, no 15' is not necessary. I set up around 10-12'.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Chronograph recommendation - 05/14/21
It sort of depends on your situation, shooting area etc. I suppose.

I have my own range less than a 100 yards from my front door, putting something up in front of the bench isn't a problem - neither is carrying extra equipment. I used to have (still do, but never use it any more) a chronograph that used screens. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But wind was a problem and keeping the screens up was a problem, and clouds vs. sun shine was a problem.

Since then, I've bought a Magnetospeed Sporter and am very happy with it, even though I don't have to worry about stopping other shooters when I set up the chronograph. It is a new purchase for me and so far it's been flawless in performance.

I considered a Radar unit, but it evidently had a couple of drawbacks - maximum velocity and bullet diameter. I don't know about these drawbacks from personal experience but I've read a respected authority's comments and that is what I've taken away from his experience/comments. I wanted to read what my 17 Hornet was doing and also my 204 Ruger, besides some fast bullets from cartridges.
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

All chronographs should be set up 10-15' from the muzzle. Having used the ProChrono for 30 years now, no 15' is not necessary. I set up around 10-12'.

I’ve been wanting to purchase one these for quite some time now but that is what is stopping me. I shoot at my hunting club almost exclusively and there is no way I can set a chrono up 10-15’ in front of my rifle without using a tripod or building some sort of table the exact height needed.
© 24hourcampfire