Home
Posted By: obamasucks muzzle break opnions ? - 10/24/21
Howdy ya,ll,
Just came into a model 700 custom shop 338 ultramag,,, very pretty wood an engraving to die for,,,,, 26" factory barrel etc,, very low miles (wonder why lmao)

Being a rem 700 lover I will keep it,, but likely not shoot it much w/out a good break,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can build ammo etc,, good thing as its a higher n giraffe ears everywhere.
so-- lay it on me,, who makes the break that reduces recoil but does not kill accuracy??

Thanks,, Rc
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/24/21

It's "brake" as in car brakes--same idea.

How good is your hearing? If it's still good, I'd think twice about a muzzle brake. Same for friends and family standing nearby or other folks in nearby benches at the shooting range.

A small sandbag between you and the rifle, and a Decelerator pad, can honestly do wonders.

Most muzzle brakes don't affect accuracy in any appreciable manner that I'm aware of.
Posted By: hanco Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/24/21
I forgot about a 300 Win mag once, took a week for my ears to stop ringing.
They are for the birds, anyway you want to spell it..
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/24/21
I've had my first and last muzzle brake
It's not like it'll be shot one time after another
as a hunting rifle, so one shoulder bump isn't
going to hurt anybody
PAST pad or padded jacket or vest for practice
is adequate and better than making expensive alterations
to your firearms
Posted By: obamasucks Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/24/21
Well then,

I stand corrected,,, Thanks ya,ll.... just another rifle I didn't really need,,, its just so dang pretty,,,,,

good shoot n to ya,s,,
Rc
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
Well most of us only need one, but need isn't
part of the equation
Posted By: rabst Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
FWIW, I have multiple rifles with muzzle brakes, from 7mm08s and .280 Rem and on up to a .300 Dakota. These braked rifles are some of the most accurate that I own.

The Dakota actually came straight from the plant, back in the 90's, with a KDF brake. KDF has been around a long time and still produces a quality product.

Muzzle brake naysayers, and they are legion here, have legitimate concerns regarding the potential for hearing loss, but I'm a big fan of brakes. Having said that, I have no qualms about wearing quality hearing protection at all times, whether at the range or in the field. I am an avid hand loader, with a multitude of rounds fired down range over several decades, and my hearing is surprisingly intact! YMMV.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21

Look at the bright side, as a handloader you can down load it to 338-06 status, and probably have a great time shooting a custom shop M700..........
Posted By: Seafire Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
I picked up one at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months ago.

put it on my 6.5 Grendal.... took two shots with it...

Took it off....blows the sound right back at ya...

I've always hated when I'm at the range and someone sets up with one at the bench right next to you....

If I had an axe with me, right after they pulled the trigger, I think me and the axe would have gone after them....
Posted By: Sam_H Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
Son and I used to travel each year to a C3 shoot. Our line position was always adjacent to another guy who liked his Barrett 82CQ. That's a 21" .50 BMG with brake for those unfamiliar. Rude doesn't begin to cover it. We usually sat in the very back of the table area with both plugs and muffs till he was out of ammo. Interestingly, the least obnoxious place to be is right behind the gun, shooting it. Directly behind the bore axis.

Brake or no-brake does not have one single correct answer. Like most things, it depends.

Some variables. Guided hunt? Most guides don't like them, nor do their horses. Believe it.

Wear hearing protection while hunting? Well, you should. I didn't. Now I do. Kinda too late, really. My hearing is so bad audiologist said she'd fire me if I ever fire another shot without hearing protection. She's not wrong. The elephant in the hearing loss room is the gun - not whether it's braked or unbraked.

At the range I double up with plugs and muffs. Always. In the blind wear MSA Sordins, and make my son do likewise. Losing your hearing permanently is not a test of manhood. It's a test of dumbarsery. Don't like how muffs look or feel? Get over it.

Back to brakes - wearing the MSAs there is no issue firing the braked .375 20" vs unbraked given a) I'm the shooter and b) wearing the MSAs.
Posted By: obamasucks Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
Thank you guys,,
I,m learning with every line,,,,, The jury is still out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I have been @ the bench w./ a "BRAKE" going off,,rudely obnoxious I agree,,,,, hmmmm

RC
Posted By: Axtell Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
Quality hearing protection is key with or with out a 'brake'.

Many shooters confuse the concussion of the muzzle blast with increased noise, it is the combination that most shooters do not like.

I have several rifles with brakes and they are a joy to shoot, easy to shoot a pound of powder out of a 300 wm in a session.

Also, I have not detected any loss in accuracy using a brake.

I do not use a brake on a hunting rifle.
Posted By: memtb Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are for the birds, anyway you want to spell it..

Agreed! Unless the rifle is quite light, less than 9 pounds or so scoped, loaded, slung, a brake is unnecessary! A brake could be considered/warranted, ...... during load development or you are going to be putting a lot of rounds downrange from a bench! When hunting: added length to barrel....unwanted, excessive noise.....again unwanted, recoil reduction......unnecessary! JMO

Been there....done that! I used a brake during initial load development with my rifle......then learned about all the negatives. The brake was removed in early 1990......has not been seen since! There have been a lot of rounds fired since then......quite a few from a bench! I’m not a “tough guy”.....just a “practical guy”! memtb
Posted By: JPro Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
I could see one on a big range toy like a .50BMG, but that's about it. I hate "loudeners" in the real world.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
I have several rifles with them. I’ve had 2 different 300 wby’s with them. Wife loved to shoot both rifles.
She would not have used them without the brake. Most here would not have shot them without the brake either.
Hearing protection is needed for most shooting.
Heavy Kiking rifles cause hunters to develop a flinch. Not good for shot placement.
Each should decide depending on skills and experience. Hasbeen
Posted By: obamasucks Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/25/21
alrighty then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

considering,,,,,,,,,it is in fact a 338 "ultra mag" this sob is a big ass round,,,, it will not be a day in the park,,,or "days"

I have all the belted mags an shoot em well,, not the go to gun for the bench,, but this thing,, needs to be dialed in,,, to the "knats ass": so to speak,, it will go the diatance with energy,,, so,,

yes, I have ear protection,,, and,, its not a barrel, burner so why would I not shoot it in ,,eventually w/ handloads?? if a brake made it easier?

boom,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: GSSP Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/27/21
Like several here, some of my rifles do and some don',t have a brake. My lighter, more classic, hunting rifle do not. My competition (NRL, NRL Hunter, Precision Rifle style matches) absolutely do as does my LR Custom Muzzleloader. In the matches I shoot one needs to see their impacts, anywhere from a few hundred yards to 1000+ yards, to adjust POA for following shots. A great quality brake is a must! Most competitors wear higher quality, electronic, hearing protection so we can hear commands, directions, etc., from the RO as well as BS with the other competitors. Being away from over head cover the brakes are not too bad. When I'm at the range, under cover of a roof, I prefer non-electronic muffs as they typically offer higher NRR than electronic's do. The roof bounces the blast back to the shooter, making it louder. My LR Custom Muzzleloader pushes a 300 gr to 2556 fps in a 10 lb rifle which can cause brutal recoil. With one of Levi Reed's brakes, I can literally free recoil that rifle. The MZL blast is brutal. At end of last season, as we were leaving the mountains, I inserted my ear plugs, before I shot/unloaded my MZL. The plugs were not enough! This year I packed my MSA Sordin electronic muffs. MUCH better!

Alan
Posted By: mathman Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/27/21
When I'm at the range (which is covered) and muzzle brakes appear elsewhere on the line I double up with plugs and muffs.
Posted By: obamasucks Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/28/21
Thanks you guys,,,
Friend an I were shooting yesterday,, Friend has a new 6.5 300 Roy,,,,, w/ a nice brake,,,, yep , I get the "Percussion" issue real well now,,,
But he sure did shoot it quit q bit -- break in an to empty the factory brass for custom loads,,,,

I,ll get one I think,, I,m mpretty sure I will shoot better w/ thr cannon,,,,no sence wasting 5 Plus $ rounds,, dang stuffs gett ing pricey,,,,

good shooting ya,ll
[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21
There is need and want. I am in the need class with a replaced right shoulder.Mt .06 is just a tad more than .243 now
with 180 gr bullets. A little bit more with 220's
With or without a brake ear protection is a must.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21

.338 Ultra Magnum. Holland, Harrell, Badger, KDF, etc

Gain some weight and develop a really good and comfortable prone firing position.

Posted By: 338reddog Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21
I always disliked brakes, until neck and shoulder issues have caused me to reevaluate that position. I have two rifles with a brake my wife’s
7mm rem mag and my 300wby. Both have comfortable recoil and to me any ways are tolerable in the noise dept.
I would look at a Gentry quite brake and Vias. Vias website says closed but not sure if thats correct. O have a Vias on my wife's 7mag
and one of my buddies has a Gentry. I have called shots at the range sitting at the bench next to them with regular hearing protection and didnt want to run and hide. Im contrast wife shot her first mule deer buck using said 7mag, I was spotting sitting a few feet away. Wife forgot to put her ear plugs in and so did I. The muzzle blast never bothered me but her ears rang for 1/2 hour. Im thinking of putting one on my 338wm as it is my favorite rifle, just not sure my shoulder can continue to take the recoil anymore.
Posted By: obamasucks Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21
Great concept, I myself am beat an broke,, and no, my puncuattion ai,t too gud edier..................big deal,, I don't type for a living,, never have,,,,

Thank ya'll
Posted By: Bugger Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21
Muzzle breaks are really loud unless you will be using ear plugs and muffs...
If you bought a suppressor you'd get less recoil and less noise.
Posted By: buffybr Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21
I have KDF brakes on my .300 Wby and my .375 RUM. I wouldn't shoot either one without their brakes. At the range I won't shoot anything from a .22 LR to my .375 RUM without ear muffs. When hunting I wear foam ear plugs and carry extra ones for my guide or anyone else with me. I've had both of these rifles on multiple international hunts, and have never had a complaint from my guides.
Posted By: JJF Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/29/21
While in the military, I took a dislike to recoil. I also boxed in college and did not particularly care for getting knocked around. So, when I got out and begun to hunt I did everything to minimize these effects and that's when I developed a fondness for muzzle brakes, even in calibers not known for excessive recoil. I hunt solely from tree and ground stands. I wear electronic ear muffs when shooting and the noise does not bother me one bit. In a concession to other shooters at the range, I shoot from the very end of the shooting range, which is uncovered. I really like it that on my hunting rifles, I can spot the shot due to the muzzle brakes' limiting muzzle rise. With that being said, the only after-market brake I ever used was a KDF on a Browning BLR in 358 Win. It was very effective but boy did it produce a pronounced rearward blast wave. Other than that, it was very good. My other 2 hunting rifles with brakes are a Winchester 70 with BOSS (270 Win) and a CVA Scout V2 (444 Marlin). Both are a joy to shoot, given that I wear electronic ear muffs. So, for me and my style of hunting, a rifle with a muzzle brake is ideal.
Posted By: boatammo Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/30/21
I like my hellfire self timing brake.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/30/21
Linear Compensators seem to be very good at reducing sound for the shooter. Anyone with a shorter barreled rifle would benefit. Not as good at controlling muzzle jump as a brake but very good at sending the concussion blast forwards. I have one installed on a .260 and shooting side by side with similar rifles it's much more enjoyable. Tried to measure decibels but for such a short sound spike it's difficult to get an accurate reading. I was showing a max reading of around 110 db with my phone app but I think this is lower than reality.

KAW
Posted By: chesterwy Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/30/21
I am 80 percent deaf in my left ear because of one. Not a fan.
Posted By: keith Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/30/21
Lots of really dum [bleep] on this thread.

Shooting harms your hearing...no schitt!

Wear electronic ear muffs while hunting, you will hear more deer ratting with another buck, more snort wheezes, than you have ever heard in your life. Electronic ear muffs add another complete dimension to hunting.

I use Gentry "Quiet" muzzle breaks on everything with ports slanted forward where the concussion is less.

Not all muzzle breaks are created equal. You need to see your bullet impact at some distance.

With my 257 Weatherby, I see the bullet impact, water vapor fly off the animal, and the bullet impact after it has gone through the animal. 7 mags, I see the bullet impact on the animal with 140's at 3250. Lighter calibers than 7 Mag, like shooting a 223.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/31/21
I use them, I recommend Vais brakes. To me they can't be beat, though if you're shooting prone (as in competition) I've heard people complain about dirt flying up, so you'd want one with a solid bottom.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/31/21
I’ve got one on a 16.5 in model 7 308 tried it once after installed prone on a bipod after “without” ear muffs it tamed the recoil but I couldn’t here schitt after for a week
Posted By: Azshooter Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/31/21
Read entire thread. No mention of adding a mercury recoil reducer. Friend put one in his 338 Rum and I have fired his gun many times and it made a difference. The rifle shoots 300 gr Sierra MK at 2800 fps.

The mercury does add some weight and it also spreads the recoil out over a longer period of time therefore reducing the kick/second

The mercury recoil reduction system works on the principle of moveable weight, which is liquid mercury, free to react instantly when the gun is fired.

There are many companies that sell this product, here are two:

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressors/index.htm#top#top

http://mpcsports.com/candhmercuryrecoilreducers.aspx

Posted By: LFC Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/31/21
Muzzle breaks are for pansy azzes.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by LFC
Muzzle breaks are for pansy azzes.

And the illiterate.
Posted By: LFC Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 11/01/21
And the dumb that go deaf....
Posted By: JGRaider Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by LFC

One would think after 674 attempts to say something intelligent you'd actually stumble into one, but you still the big o-fer. Keep trying though.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 11/01/21
I like the brake on the end of my Silencerco Harvester....

If I couldnt have a can, something like the Vias is where I'd be looking. Brakes are loud....but they work. Wear your ear pro, and enjoy the ability to spot your shots.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 11/01/21
I sold a sweet tikka in 300 wm that kicked like a .25-06 with a brake because it was stiffling to shoot with anything less than plugs and muffs......
Posted By: LFC Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by LFC

One would think after 674 attempts to say something intelligent you'd actually stumble into one, but you still the big o-fer. Keep trying though.

So after 24000+ attempts what advise can an internet cOwboy offer a feller ?
Posted By: obamasucks Re: muzzle break opnions ? - 11/02/21
Interesting on the 300 wm comment- I have been shooting w/ a buddy, got himself a new weathermark in 6.5 -300 w/ an accubrake,,, I must say, it does produce a fair
amount of percussion/shok, but its not bad at all w/ muffs,,, an mine are not that high end ,,, dang thing shoots well too,,,,
© 24hourcampfire