Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Howdy ya,ll,
Just came into a model 700 custom shop 338 ultramag,,, very pretty wood an engraving to die for,,,,, 26" factory barrel etc,, very low miles (wonder why lmao)

Being a rem 700 lover I will keep it,, but likely not shoot it much w/out a good break,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can build ammo etc,, good thing as its a higher n giraffe ears everywhere.
so-- lay it on me,, who makes the break that reduces recoil but does not kill accuracy??

Thanks,, Rc

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It's "brake" as in car brakes--same idea.

How good is your hearing? If it's still good, I'd think twice about a muzzle brake. Same for friends and family standing nearby or other folks in nearby benches at the shooting range.

A small sandbag between you and the rifle, and a Decelerator pad, can honestly do wonders.

Most muzzle brakes don't affect accuracy in any appreciable manner that I'm aware of.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I forgot about a 300 Win mag once, took a week for my ears to stop ringing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are for the birds, anyway you want to spell it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had my first and last muzzle brake
It's not like it'll be shot one time after another
as a hunting rifle, so one shoulder bump isn't
going to hurt anybody
PAST pad or padded jacket or vest for practice
is adequate and better than making expensive alterations
to your firearms

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Well then,

I stand corrected,,, Thanks ya,ll.... just another rifle I didn't really need,,, its just so dang pretty,,,,,

good shoot n to ya,s,,
Rc

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well most of us only need one, but need isn't
part of the equation

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
FWIW, I have multiple rifles with muzzle brakes, from 7mm08s and .280 Rem and on up to a .300 Dakota. These braked rifles are some of the most accurate that I own.

The Dakota actually came straight from the plant, back in the 90's, with a KDF brake. KDF has been around a long time and still produces a quality product.

Muzzle brake naysayers, and they are legion here, have legitimate concerns regarding the potential for hearing loss, but I'm a big fan of brakes. Having said that, I have no qualms about wearing quality hearing protection at all times, whether at the range or in the field. I am an avid hand loader, with a multitude of rounds fired down range over several decades, and my hearing is surprisingly intact! YMMV.

Last edited by rabst; 10/24/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Look at the bright side, as a handloader you can down load it to 338-06 status, and probably have a great time shooting a custom shop M700..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I picked up one at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months ago.

put it on my 6.5 Grendal.... took two shots with it...

Took it off....blows the sound right back at ya...

I've always hated when I'm at the range and someone sets up with one at the bench right next to you....

If I had an axe with me, right after they pulled the trigger, I think me and the axe would have gone after them....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Son and I used to travel each year to a C3 shoot. Our line position was always adjacent to another guy who liked his Barrett 82CQ. That's a 21" .50 BMG with brake for those unfamiliar. Rude doesn't begin to cover it. We usually sat in the very back of the table area with both plugs and muffs till he was out of ammo. Interestingly, the least obnoxious place to be is right behind the gun, shooting it. Directly behind the bore axis.

Brake or no-brake does not have one single correct answer. Like most things, it depends.

Some variables. Guided hunt? Most guides don't like them, nor do their horses. Believe it.

Wear hearing protection while hunting? Well, you should. I didn't. Now I do. Kinda too late, really. My hearing is so bad audiologist said she'd fire me if I ever fire another shot without hearing protection. She's not wrong. The elephant in the hearing loss room is the gun - not whether it's braked or unbraked.

At the range I double up with plugs and muffs. Always. In the blind wear MSA Sordins, and make my son do likewise. Losing your hearing permanently is not a test of manhood. It's a test of dumbarsery. Don't like how muffs look or feel? Get over it.

Back to brakes - wearing the MSAs there is no issue firing the braked .375 20" vs unbraked given a) I'm the shooter and b) wearing the MSAs.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thank you guys,,
I,m learning with every line,,,,, The jury is still out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I have been @ the bench w./ a "BRAKE" going off,,rudely obnoxious I agree,,,,, hmmmm

RC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Quality hearing protection is key with or with out a 'brake'.

Many shooters confuse the concussion of the muzzle blast with increased noise, it is the combination that most shooters do not like.

I have several rifles with brakes and they are a joy to shoot, easy to shoot a pound of powder out of a 300 wm in a session.

Also, I have not detected any loss in accuracy using a brake.

I do not use a brake on a hunting rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
They are for the birds, anyway you want to spell it..

Agreed! Unless the rifle is quite light, less than 9 pounds or so scoped, loaded, slung, a brake is unnecessary! A brake could be considered/warranted, ...... during load development or you are going to be putting a lot of rounds downrange from a bench! When hunting: added length to barrel....unwanted, excessive noise.....again unwanted, recoil reduction......unnecessary! JMO

Been there....done that! I used a brake during initial load development with my rifle......then learned about all the negatives. The brake was removed in early 1990......has not been seen since! There have been a lot of rounds fired since then......quite a few from a bench! I’m not a “tough guy”.....just a “practical guy”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could see one on a big range toy like a .50BMG, but that's about it. I hate "loudeners" in the real world.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several rifles with them. I’ve had 2 different 300 wby’s with them. Wife loved to shoot both rifles.
She would not have used them without the brake. Most here would not have shot them without the brake either.
Hearing protection is needed for most shooting.
Heavy Kiking rifles cause hunters to develop a flinch. Not good for shot placement.
Each should decide depending on skills and experience. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
alrighty then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

considering,,,,,,,,,it is in fact a 338 "ultra mag" this sob is a big ass round,,,, it will not be a day in the park,,,or "days"

I have all the belted mags an shoot em well,, not the go to gun for the bench,, but this thing,, needs to be dialed in,,, to the "knats ass": so to speak,, it will go the diatance with energy,,, so,,

yes, I have ear protection,,, and,, its not a barrel, burner so why would I not shoot it in ,,eventually w/ handloads?? if a brake made it easier?

boom,,,,,,,,,,,

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Like several here, some of my rifles do and some don',t have a brake. My lighter, more classic, hunting rifle do not. My competition (NRL, NRL Hunter, Precision Rifle style matches) absolutely do as does my LR Custom Muzzleloader. In the matches I shoot one needs to see their impacts, anywhere from a few hundred yards to 1000+ yards, to adjust POA for following shots. A great quality brake is a must! Most competitors wear higher quality, electronic, hearing protection so we can hear commands, directions, etc., from the RO as well as BS with the other competitors. Being away from over head cover the brakes are not too bad. When I'm at the range, under cover of a roof, I prefer non-electronic muffs as they typically offer higher NRR than electronic's do. The roof bounces the blast back to the shooter, making it louder. My LR Custom Muzzleloader pushes a 300 gr to 2556 fps in a 10 lb rifle which can cause brutal recoil. With one of Levi Reed's brakes, I can literally free recoil that rifle. The MZL blast is brutal. At end of last season, as we were leaving the mountains, I inserted my ear plugs, before I shot/unloaded my MZL. The plugs were not enough! This year I packed my MSA Sordin electronic muffs. MUCH better!

Alan

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I'm at the range (which is covered) and muzzle brakes appear elsewhere on the line I double up with plugs and muffs.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks you guys,,,
Friend an I were shooting yesterday,, Friend has a new 6.5 300 Roy,,,,, w/ a nice brake,,,, yep , I get the "Percussion" issue real well now,,,
But he sure did shoot it quit q bit -- break in an to empty the factory brass for custom loads,,,,

I,ll get one I think,, I,m mpretty sure I will shoot better w/ thr cannon,,,,no sence wasting 5 Plus $ rounds,, dang stuffs gett ing pricey,,,,

good shooting ya,ll

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 48 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.