Home
Posted By: djb Powder measure for ball powders - 01/14/22
I've done really well with the cheap Lee Perfect for my loading with most powders except H110 (leaks). The Lee's do really well with the longer stick powders but I have been buying Ramshot powders lately. I never felt the need to upgrade until now and the ball powders are supposed to meter well even in 'crappy' measures. Was thinking about picking up a Redding 3BR or Harrell's but not sure if this price point is necessary.

What measure would you recommend for ball powders?
No that price point isn’t needed. I get drop and load consistently with both a uni flow and a Hornady deluxe measure bought in the mid 80’s. Ball powders are easy.
Thanks Swifty.

People poo the Lee but I loaded 150 rounds yesterday with RL17 and Benchmark and the Lee was either dead nutz or .1 grain off at max. It does leak with H110 badly, and I heard will seize up with ball powders.
You can get a baffle for the Uniflow and it helps with consistent charge weight. Well worth the 8 or 10 bucks. I don't know whether there's a baffle available for the Hornady.

My early 80's RCBS measure is quite accurate with W296, AA#7 and similar powders. Even my Harrell's struggles with coarse stick powders like H4831, but is no more accurate than the RCBS with the fine ball powders.

And yes, with the RCBS the baffle helps quite a bit.
Harrells is what I use. You only live once
I use a Redding and it has been very good
Originally Posted by pullit

I use Redding also, works well with fine powders, so so with stick.
I've used a few different measures and by and large all did a great job. (Never owned a Lee though.) Then I gave a Belding&Mull a whirl and never looked back. Until, that is, I bought a Harrell's. Worth the price point? Maybe, maybe not, but it is a wonderful measure that will stay with me forever.
I have both a Harrell's and a Lee. Both work great. Bang for the buck you can't beat the Lee.
That being said, it's stick powder that causes problems.
Most any powder measure works well with ball powder.
Originally Posted by hanco

I use Redding also, works well with fine powders, so so with stick.

I agree with this
I’ll 3d the vote for the Uniflo with baffle. Also if you’re loading handgun and small rifle the small capacity drum is a good add. Consistent flow with Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Bullseye, 110, ball, etc.
I will admit after I got a RCBS Chargemaster, I don't use a powder measure much anymore
Originally Posted by NVhntr
... it's stick powder that causes problems.

This.
I mostly use my Harrell's these days, but there are exceptions.
My Harrell's will not throw HS6 at all, for that one powder I get out the Uniflo
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by NVhntr
... it's stick powder that causes problems.

This.

I agree with the above.

I use a redding br3 but a uniflow with a baffle works great with ball powders. A friend has a hornady that he likes as well
I will admit after I got a RCBS Chargemaster, I don't use a powder measure much anymore

I have a new chargemaster, never taken it out of the box. Got to get on that.

You will be happy you did

I use the small Harrels on handguns. Charge Master for rifles. Hasbeen
I've, been impressed with the Lyman Brass Smith, with ball and flake type powders.

It is not quite as consistent as the Lee with stick powders, but seems to be getting better as I use it with stick powders.

YMMV
I have the poor man's Harrell (Culver) measure, Lyman 55 and it measures stick and ball powders very well.
Originally Posted by arky65
I've, been impressed with the Lyman Brass Smith, with ball and flake type powders.

It is not quite as consistent as the Lee with stick powders, but seems to be getting better as I use it with stick powders.

YMMV

That statement is very good. My uni-flow only gets used with pistol powders and yes I I have the baffle. Good unit. The Hornady is all I use for rifle and stick powders. They don’t make a baffle as far as I know but I had a guy make one. I even had to replace the powder hopper a few years back due to age. After 30+ years of using it I know all the little quirks.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
You can get a baffle for the Uniflow and it helps with consistent charge weight. Well worth the 8 or 10 bucks. I don't know whether there's a baffle available for the Hornady.

I made my own baffles for my Uniflows from an aluminum beer can. Later on from proper baffles when I bought a bunch of reloading stuff at a yard sale. The store bought type didn't work any better than my home made.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
No that price point isn’t needed. I get drop and load consistently with both a uni flow and a Hornady deluxe measure bought in the mid 80’s. Ball powders are easy.

You got that right. Ball powders drop like water out of my uniflow. No need to get fancy

Dropping with a powder measure is significantly faster and very accurate with ball powders. A chargemaster would be a waste of time and money for this application.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Dropping with a powder measure is significantly faster and very accurate with ball powders. A chargemaster would be a waste of time and money for this application.

Agree 100%. Sphericals meter beautifully in my Uniflow. So do some of the finer granulated extruded powders like Benchmark, LT32, and maybe some others. Using a Chargemaster for those powders seems downright silly to me...I think the Uniflow would drop more uniform charges with these powders than the Chargemaster can. Besides, one thing I like about using a measure like a Uniflow is the ability to use quarter-grain increments for small cartridges.

Agree 100%. Sphericals meter beautifully in my Uniflow. So do some of the finer granulated extruded powders like Benchmark, LT32, and maybe some others. Using a Chargemaster for those powders seems downright silly to me...I think the Uniflow would drop more uniform charges with these powders than the Chargemaster can. Besides, one thing I like about using a measure like a Uniflow is the ability to use quarter-grain increments for small cartridges.

I have both a good powder measure and a Chargemaster. The Charge master only gets used with stick powders.
When I use the Chargemaster, by the time I seat the bullet the next charge is done. Never timed it but it seems fast enough for me.

+1

lefty
Stick powders weren’t meant to be metered.

Harrell’s for ball powder.
I believe that statement is too broad. There are a number of stick powders that meter quite well. Even some old school long grained ones like IMR 3031 and 4064 meter well enough to produce very good ammunition for my herd of 308 Winchester chambered rifles.
The Lee Deluxe Perfect measure is much better with ball powder.
I was going to get the Uniflow after this thread but it appears to be discontinued. Considered the Hornady L-N-L, but then would want/need the pistol drum and stand which gets $$$. It also seems a little complex/gimmicky. Read up on the Lyman Brass Smith and it gets great reviews. All these measures operate on the same principal so am just going to give the Lyman a try for ball powders. I just hope it does well with Lil Gun and Tight Group as I use these for subsonic loads at lower charge weights.

My pair of Lee Perfect's will still get plenty of use with stick powders. Thanks for the responses.
Originally Posted by djb
I was going to get the Uniflow after this thread but it appears to be discontinued. Considered the Hornady L-N-L, but then would want/need the pistol drum and stand which gets $$$. It also seems a little complex/gimmicky. Read up on the Lyman Brass Smith and it gets great reviews. All these measures operate on the same principal so am just going to give the Lyman a try for ball powders. I just hope it does well with Lil Gun and Tight Group as I use these for subsonic loads at lower charge weights.

My pair of Lee Perfect's will still get plenty of use with stick powders. Thanks for the responses.

It’s the Uniflow 3 now. It’s available and actually sounds easier than the original.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-po.../uniflow-powder-measure-iii/16-9016.html

New on the UPM-III is the ability to use one metering cylinder and rotor for both rifle and pistol to throw charges from 0.5 grains to 95 grains. The new threaded hopper makes disassembly for cleaning quick and easy.

I have both a good powder measure and a Chargemaster. The Charge master only gets used with stick powders.

That's where I would use the Chargemaster. I can see the usefulness there. But with ball powder, what the op is inquiring about? Just drop and go with a powder measure. Its extremely accurate and quick. Not that I'm trying to skimp on a process, but when you have a lot to load, it just makes sense. It seems like some guys like complicating things here, or giving others bad advice. I'll load over 300/hr doing it this way. That includes some 308w as well.. Accuracy of the loads do not suffer either. Newbies may not know this.
Thanks Swifty. I'll check it out. I was only finding competition or quick change models when searching Midsouth, Midway etc.
Originally Posted by djb
Thanks Swifty. I'll check it out. I was only finding competition or quick change models when searching Midsouth, Midway etc.

If you are talking the lock n load measure, it has standard threads to be used without the quick connect bushing.

That's where I would use the Chargemaster. I can see the usefulness there. But with ball powder, what the op is inquiring about? Just drop and go with a powder measure. Its extremely accurate and quick. Not that I'm trying to skimp on a process, but when you have a lot to load, it just makes sense. It seems like some guys like complicating things here, or giving others bad advice. I'll load over 300/hr doing it this way. That includes some 308w as well.. Accuracy of the loads do not suffer either. Newbies may not know this.

If I had enough mad money I might go the electronic route. But H4350 and H4831SC are about the most coarse powders I load and them only for 10 or 20 hunting hunting or sight checking rounds. You’re right about drop-n-go powdering. Once I get the powder drop dialed in I can hold a tray of 80 pistol or small to medium rifle brass under the drop tube and run that sucker. Weigh a throw after each tray to confirm and boogie on.
© 24hourcampfire