Home
Posted By: Kenneth Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/14/22
Bad batch of Winchester primers and about 50 rounds loaded,

Need to pull the bullets and save the bullets, powder and also the brass.

I've heard of just a few story's of the hammer shaped (kinetic) igniting a round while being used,

If so, No thanks....

Need the tools to pull for 30'06,

What do you guys suggest?
Ive used an inertial bullet puller on hundreds of rounds. Never had one go off yet. After about 40 years my RCBS came apart. They replaced it with a new one.
I use a kinetic hammer style puller. No issues thus far.
RCBS with collets. Much better than a kinetic puller
Originally Posted by Ghostman

Any chance you could provide a link or such so I know exactly what your talking about?
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Ive used an inertial bullet puller on hundreds of rounds. Never had one go off yet. After about 40 years my RCBS came apart. They replaced it with a new one.

Back on the list of options then.

Best answer^^^^. I tried the kenetic pos and broke it the first time I tried using it. Took it back to the store and got my money back..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We talking about the RCBS model 9440, about 30 bucks?

Then I would need the collet for .30/7 .35 mm, about 15 bucks?
Posted By: TX35W Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/14/22
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Yup. The Hornady also works and is sometimes easier to use bc of how the handle swings, depending on your press. I use both. That said I have pulled...I dunno...hundreds or thousands with a kinetic puller. I can't imagine how it would ignite a primer. I still use them if I have to pull one or two bullets bc it's faster than setting up a die in the press and making sure the correct collet is in.

But to pull more than a few bullets, the collet pullers do it without damaging the brass and without dumping the powder everywhere. If you have a very stuck bullet you can sometimes induce runout in the brass with a kinetic puller.
Originally Posted by TX35W

Yup. The Hornady also works and is sometimes easier to use bc of how the handle swings, depending on your press. I use both. That said I have pulled...I dunno...hundreds or thousands with a kinetic puller. I can't imagine how it would ignite a primer. I still use them if I have to pull one or two bullets bc it's faster than setting up a die in the press and making sure the correct collet is in.

But to pull more than a few bullets, the collet pullers do it without damaging the brass and without dumping the powder everywhere. If you have a very stuck bullet you can sometimes induce runout in the brass with a kinetic puller.

+1

I've pulled a lot of bullets with a kinetic puller. No issues. Have said that, if I'm only pulling a round or two, then the kinetic is faster, but if I'm pulling a larger quantity, the Hornady Cam-Lock collet puller is skookum.

Yes!

I've had one for about 10 years and would never go back to one of the inertia types. Unless the bullets have a heavy crimp or are cold welded in place they pop right out.
Just for reference I use a RCBS Rockchucker press
Posted By: KenMi Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/14/22
If you want the bullets to be as close to perfect condition as possible, then use an inertia, and jamb a cotton ball in the bottom of it.
The collet pullers can mar the bullets pretty bad, especially if there is heavy neck tension or crimp.
But, they get marred the instant they touch the rifling, so probably not too much of a worry as far as losing accuracy.

Hornady cam lock
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Hornady cam lock

^^^This^^^
I've used a few bullet pullers over the years, but this one is cheap and easy to use. No banging or powder issues. The video demonstrates. $40 for the various configurations. There is additional information, prices and other stuff at the site.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

I've pulled a lot of bullets with a kinetic puller. No issues. Have said that, if I'm only pulling a round or two, then the kinetic is faster, but if I'm pulling a larger quantity, the Hornady Cam-Lock collet puller is skookum.

Same here for the Hornady Cam Lock.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1

pretty much exactly what I was going to say myself
I wonder if those who have used the Hornady system can comment on this. I have never used the Hornady system. Do the Hornady collets get damaged with 308 bullets? Is this only a concern with handgun bullets?

Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I've used a few bullet pullers over the years, but this one is cheap and easy to use. No banging or powder issues. The video demonstrates. $40 for the various configurations. There is additional information, prices and other stuff at the site.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

I’ll vouch for this one also. Super simple. Easy to use. Works great.
I have the RCBS collet style works well. I also have the Grip n Pull which is very convenient and faster.
Originally Posted by KenMi
If you want the bullets to be as close to perfect condition as possible, then use an inertia, and jamb a cotton ball in the bottom of it.
The collet pullers can mar the bullets pretty bad, especially if there is heavy neck tension or crimp.
But, they get marred the instant they touch the rifling, so probably not too much of a worry as far as losing accuracy.

Ken, is correct. The bullet damage from the collet pullers does very little if anything to the accuracy of the bullets in my experience. I currently have some 55 grain VMax bullets that were difficult to remove to the point that I had to really bare down on the RCBS collet puller to where it squashed a new connelure around the bullet. Have been shooting those in a 22-250 with no noticeable difference in accuracy. They shoot great as long as the marring is concentric. If it is eccentric then all bets are off but that usually is not the case.
So far I’m liking the looks of this grip n pull, One tool for calibers .17 up to .30
Seems handy.
Another vote for the Grip-N-pull. Best ever.
Yep collet or grip and pull. Stay away from the hammers
RCBS collet puller works well for me. I have an old hammer style but prefer the collet type.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/15/22
Hornady Cam-Lock

The inertia pullers setting off primers is a lot like ADs with Walker triggers: the fact that it has not happened to someone means that it has never happened, nor could it ever happen to anyone else. The instances when primers have gone off with inertia pullers are no doubt the result of idiots who should not be allowed to handle tools more complicated than a lead pencil either tampering with the sear of the puller or else having their finger on the trigger of the puller. If everyone just followed the basic safety rule of never having the muzzle of the puller pointed at anything that you don't want to shoot, the whole issue would be moot.
Grip n pull on the way.

Thanks to all.
Posted By: DugE Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/16/22
I had the inertia style. Read about the grip-n-pull here. Bought it. GLAD I did!
I've gone both ways, but prefer the kinetic as it does not marf up ones slugs. If I had serious volume I'd go with a collet.
Grip n pull on the way.

Thanks to all.

Good choice
Steve, I ruined one collet early on, but it was my fault (I grabbed the case mouth). I have pulled hundreds of .224, .270, 7mm, & .308 bullets with no problems. I will add I have found bullets that have bonded to the case neck and or seated so you only have the ogive to grip are good candidates for the kinetic pullet to get the bullets started out. IME the kinetic pullers are ok but separating the powder from the bullet can be messy. I don't have collets larger than .308.
Thanks for that, Dave. Like you, I used kinetic pullers. I went with the Grip and Pull because it wasn’t noisy and was less fuss smile
Thanks guys. I've used the kinetic puller a few times and found it was a royal PIA so I avoid it unless I have a bunch of 223 or other small cases to deal with- which did a few months ago. For just a couple I have used a lineman's pliers and gripped the bullet like the grip and pull does, and it works great but damages the bullets. This looks like the best way to go so I ordered one already...

Bob
Posted By: LFC Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by KenMi

Same here....
Have the Grip N Pull and depending on the bullet profile you can't get a hold of the bullet. With these I use a Kinetic puller to get them further out of the case to get a better hold of them.
You might consider who is claiming the most knowledge on pulling bullets as someone you may not want to listen to.
I use an inertial puller I bought from Midway many years ago when dealing with smaller quantities, and a Hornady camlock type for larger quantities. There's a bit of a learning curve with the Hornady puller, but once it's set up and adjusted properly it's easy to pull bullets without damaging them.

If you use an inertial puller, just drop a foam earplug in it to prevent damage to soft points. Much better than a ball of cotton.
I’ve had two inertia bullet pullers they work great until they break. Less marks on the bullets is the main thing. I have two styles of bullet pullers now. They both clamp on the bullet and are used in a press - both work equally well. Well maybe the RCBS version is slightly better. On calibers that I don’t have covered with those I use a pliers - clamp onto the bullet when the case is exposed and lower the ram. That works too.
This is my annual notice regarding intertia bullet pullers. In the pic below you’ll see I have a nice “racing stripe” that goes from a quarter inch past the crease of my eye to back in my hairline. This happened years ago and the scar has diminished just a little bit.

This was the result of my intertia puller inadvertently setting off a large rifle magnum primer belonging to a 300 Win Mag. I made a habit of slightly turning my head away when the hammer hit the floor. I was fortunate….it missed my right eye by a quarter inch. The doctor treating me was a hunter and a reloader so he was naturally able to understand what happened. He told me how fortunate I was and that had it been worse, losing my eye could have been the least of my worries. The path of the magnum primer could have conceivably took it straight into my brain after going through my eyeball. Dayum!

When the primer detonated, for some reason it did not ignite the powder in the case. Probably because it was on its way out the backside of the case.

No comments on what a naturally ugly face I have please.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I might be overly cautious. I wear safety glasses when I have anything to do with ammo, including reloading, casting, or shooting. When I was a kid I got powder back in my eye when shooting my model 57 Marlin 22.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
This is my annual notice regarding intertia bullet pullers. In the pic below you’ll see I have a nice “racing stripe” that goes from a quarter inch past the crease of my eye to back in my hairline. This happened years ago and the scar has diminished just a little bit.

This was the result of my intertia puller inadvertently setting off a large rifle magnum primer belonging to a 300 Win Mag. I made a habit of slightly turning my head away when the hammer hit the floor. I was fortunate….it missed my right eye by a quarter inch. The doctor treating me was a hunter and a reloader so he was naturally able to understand what happened. He told me how fortunate I was and that had it been worse, losing my eye could have been the least of my worries. The path of the magnum primer could have conceivably took it straight into my brain after going through my eyeball. Dayum!

When the primer detonated, for some reason it did not ignite the powder in the case. Probably because it was on its way out the backside of the case.

Scary. I have to second Bugger's use of safety glasses too.
Posted By: Vek Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 03/17/22
I only got inertial ones to work if I hit endgrain of lumber...padding in the hammer end will save the bullet as noted above.

The collet type is fine if you care to save bullets as foulers or whatnot...they'll get marked up in my experience.

A pair of side cutters held against the top of the press leaves two small marks above the meplat and leaves a bullet that can similarly be used as a fouler.
i never trusted the inertia and went straight to the rcbs bullet puller and collets
I've broken two kinetic ones, skip them and get a collet puller, works much better on larger volume pulls too.
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Hell to the NO! Officially walking away from the hammer style puller.

Cant even imagine had the powder fired off.

I just broke mine. Forgot about the warranty and threw it away.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
You might consider who is claiming the most knowledge on pulling bullets as someone you may not want to listen to.

Or perhaps as someone that has reloaded many more rounds than you?

Hornady Cam-lock puller works great when needed. I recommend them to newbies wanting a list of what to buy.

I recently helped a friend pull 30 cal bullets using my 277 collet - all I had but it worked great safely with no mess.
I pull them by putting the cartridge in my press and going all the way up. Then grab the bullet firmly with side cutter pliers. Slowly pull the cartridge down and let the pliers settle evenly on the top of your press.

Gentle pressure takes the bullet out without damage and the case still has neck tension and you can reuse everything.

And no primer in your brain.

Same here. No way to have a round go off unless the operator does something wrong.
Grip N Pull for sure. Haven't touched my others since buying one many years ago.
If you have a batch of stubborn bullets to pull bump the bullets down a few thousandths with your seater. Generally improves the task. If they’ve really set up you can hear the crack when you bump them back. I use a kinetic puller because it’s easy. But I did have the threaded part of the head break off with cap, collet, and 9mm round taking off and break the plastic cover of a recessed fluorescent light fixture over my head. Whacked a section of oak trunk and that side of the hammer took off like a rocket.
I just got through pulling some 250 grain RN 35 caliber bullets. My previous 35 Whelen's chamber was a loose compared to the 700 BDL's chamber. I used an inertia puller on these bullets and there were no issues. I checked to see if there was any measurable slip core inside the jacket slip and there was not any measurable slip. I've seen in on some 44 jacketed bullets using the inertia but so far, I have not seen this slip with rifle bullets. I am sure it's possible, I have just not seen it yet.

I have several mean of pulling bullets on hand. I just thought I'd try it this way, this time.
I used rcbs for years and then bought the grip n pull which I use most of the time.

For grip n pull users do you have to pull your handles apart to fit the bullet. I called the company and they told me it's normal but metal would relax over time and fit the bullet easy, I've probably pulled over 500 rifle bullets and not relaxed enough yet to easy go over the bullet.
+1 for Harnady Cam-Loc. Especially if you have to pull a bunch. That said, if I’m going just pull a couple, inertia.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I wonder if those who have used the Hornady system can comment on this. I have never used the Hornady system. Do the Hornady collets get damaged with 308 bullets? Is this only a concern with handgun bullets?

No Steve it isn’t. The main reason I junked the Hornady collet puller, not cam lock is that the collets were pure junk. Too damn thin at the contact points of the bullet to collet and the collets always got marred up. I got that POS somewhere in the shop, or maybe I just trashed it as I have been using RCBS for 20+ years.
Posted By: JJF Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 06/09/22
I have used both the RCBS and Hornady collet bullet pullers. I find that the RCBS works better (at least for me). I don't know if its the thicker RCBS collet but I find it easier to get a good grip on the bullet.
I recently bought a Grip N Pull and it just doesn't work for me. It takes way too much effort to get a tight enough grip on bullets to reliably pull them. I tried using the device on several different calibers, total waste of time. Maybe I got a bad set, I will send them back.
I don't believe anyone mentioned a Forester bullet puller. I used my Dad's Forester-Appelt Lanark, IL collet puller for years and inherited it. It works great and never saw the need for an alternative.
+1 on the RCBS collet puller, used an inertia puller for years but only pulled a few bullets once in a while. The collet puller is the way to go if you have any volume of bullets to pull !
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Same here. No way to have a round go off unless the operator does something wrong.

Until it happens there is no way. I've use an inertia puller for close to 30 years and last spring I had a round blow up. Luckily I was not standing directly over the puller when I hit it on the floor. Bullet came out, unburned powder went everywhere, it blowed the puller body into, just behind the handle, the screw ring was broken in 2 pieces and the 3 collets? were scattered on the floor. The bullet was still in the front end of the puller, but the brass was out on the floor. Parts of the puller were scattered all over the room. The primer was still in the case, so I punched it out with a Lee universal depriming die. The primer had went off on impact, yet there was no indentation of any kind on the back of the primer.

Never say never!
For stubborn bullets .
Probably already mentioned , but throw it out there anyway .
Set your seating die up till the seating stem touched the bullet , lower ram , turn stem in another 3/4 turn and seat bullet just a shade deeper .
Go through all you are intending to pull and then set your collet or what ever device you’re using and start pulling , the slight seating helps break the bullet loose on stubborn cartridges.
Kenneth
I have made several of those, one for each caliber I have. 3/8 aluminum plate, 5/8"x 3". Drill a hole the size of the bullet. About 1/2"from one end centered. Band saw up the middle from the other end to the hole.

Place round in shell holder, lift ram. Fit over bullet when it comes up thru the press. Squeeze other end with channel locks or vise grips. Pull ram down. Out comes the bullet. Doesn't cost $40 either
Posted By: nanuk Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 04/15/23
Like others have said regarding kinetic pullers

put a foam plug in the bottom
bump the bullets down a several thou into the case with a seating die
use a hardwood endgrain, or a big chunk of lead. that tiny bit of give saves your puller

I made one using PVC and it works good
I also made a homade Grip-N-Pull years ago with hardwood. didn't work too well. (gonna try that one again, but using grit embedded into the wood hole for grip)
So made one with steel. worked good

Next time I get a "rountuit" ima use thin pieces of leaf spring to make more G-N-Ps for each caliber, so I can have the hole very near the end for max leverage

^This in spades^

Kinetics take forever.
Posted By: JD7 Re: Need to buy a bullet puller, - 04/16/23
I have rcbs bullet puller die but that grip and pull looks like a good back-up. I had two inertia styles have the plastic crack so I went to the rcbs on the press
Had a primer pop out of the end of a case on me too with my RCBS inertia puller, but didn't ignite the charge, about 10 years ago. I didn't use it for a long time after that. I later found out about pushing the bullet in a little to break the neck to bullet adhesion which helps a lot.

That’s the quickest and easiest way that I have found when I’m doing more than one or two.
RCBS puller w/ collets and occasionally a kinetic. Seating bullets slightly deeper on old loads definitely helps.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I pull them by putting the cartridge in my press and going all the way up. Then grab the bullet firmly with side cutter pliers. Slowly pull the cartridge down and let the pliers settle evenly on the top of your press.

Gentle pressure takes the bullet out without damage and the case still has neck tension and you can reuse everything.

And no primer in your brain.

My most used method
© 24hourcampfire