Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Ive used an inertial bullet puller on hundreds of rounds. Never had one go off yet. After about 40 years my RCBS came apart. They replaced it with a new one.
Same here. No way to have a round go off unless the operator does something wrong.

Until it happens there is no way. I've use an inertia puller for close to 30 years and last spring I had a round blow up. Luckily I was not standing directly over the puller when I hit it on the floor. Bullet came out, unburned powder went everywhere, it blowed the puller body into, just behind the handle, the screw ring was broken in 2 pieces and the 3 collets? were scattered on the floor. The bullet was still in the front end of the puller, but the brass was out on the floor. Parts of the puller were scattered all over the room. The primer was still in the case, so I punched it out with a Lee universal depriming die. The primer had went off on impact, yet there was no indentation of any kind on the back of the primer.

Never say never!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
For stubborn bullets .
Probably already mentioned , but throw it out there anyway .
Set your seating die up till the seating stem touched the bullet , lower ram , turn stem in another 3/4 turn and seat bullet just a shade deeper .
Go through all you are intending to pull and then set your collet or what ever device you’re using and start pulling , the slight seating helps break the bullet loose on stubborn cartridges.
Kenneth

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have made several of those, one for each caliber I have. 3/8 aluminum plate, 5/8"x 3". Drill a hole the size of the bullet. About 1/2"from one end centered. Band saw up the middle from the other end to the hole.

Place round in shell holder, lift ram. Fit over bullet when it comes up thru the press. Squeeze other end with channel locks or vise grips. Pull ram down. Out comes the bullet. Doesn't cost $40 either

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/23/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Online Content
N
Like others have said regarding kinetic pullers

put a foam plug in the bottom
bump the bullets down a several thou into the case with a seating die
use a hardwood endgrain, or a big chunk of lead. that tiny bit of give saves your puller

I made one using PVC and it works good
I also made a homade Grip-N-Pull years ago with hardwood. didn't work too well. (gonna try that one again, but using grit embedded into the wood hole for grip)
So made one with steel. worked good

Next time I get a "rountuit" ima use thin pieces of leaf spring to make more G-N-Ps for each caliber, so I can have the hole very near the end for max leverage

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ghostman
RCBS with collets. Much better than a kinetic puller

^This in spades^

Kinetics take forever.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

J
JD7 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have rcbs bullet puller die but that grip and pull looks like a good back-up. I had two inertia styles have the plastic crack so I went to the rcbs on the press

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Had a primer pop out of the end of a case on me too with my RCBS inertia puller, but didn't ignite the charge, about 10 years ago. I didn't use it for a long time after that. I later found out about pushing the bullet in a little to break the neck to bullet adhesion which helps a lot.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ghostman
RCBS with collets. Much better than a kinetic puller

That’s the quickest and easiest way that I have found when I’m doing more than one or two.

NRA Endowment Member
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
RCBS puller w/ collets and occasionally a kinetic. Seating bullets slightly deeper on old loads definitely helps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I pull them by putting the cartridge in my press and going all the way up. Then grab the bullet firmly with side cutter pliers. Slowly pull the cartridge down and let the pliers settle evenly on the top of your press.

Gentle pressure takes the bullet out without damage and the case still has neck tension and you can reuse everything.

And no primer in your brain.

My most used method

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.