Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have the RCBS collet style works well. I also have the Grip n Pull which is very convenient and faster.

HR IC

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
If you want the bullets to be as close to perfect condition as possible, then use an inertia, and jamb a cotton ball in the bottom of it.
The collet pullers can mar the bullets pretty bad, especially if there is heavy neck tension or crimp.
But, they get marred the instant they touch the rifling, so probably not too much of a worry as far as losing accuracy.

Ken, is correct. The bullet damage from the collet pullers does very little if anything to the accuracy of the bullets in my experience. I currently have some 55 grain VMax bullets that were difficult to remove to the point that I had to really bare down on the RCBS collet puller to where it squashed a new connelure around the bullet. Have been shooting those in a 22-250 with no noticeable difference in accuracy. They shoot great as long as the marring is concentric. If it is eccentric then all bets are off but that usually is not the case.

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 03/15/22.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So far I’m liking the looks of this grip n pull, One tool for calibers .17 up to .30
Seems handy.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for the Grip-N-pull. Best ever.

Last edited by sbhooper; 03/15/22.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep collet or grip and pull. Stay away from the hammers

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
RCBS collet puller works well for me. I have an old hammer style but prefer the collet type.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hornady Cam-Lock

The inertia pullers setting off primers is a lot like ADs with Walker triggers: the fact that it has not happened to someone means that it has never happened, nor could it ever happen to anyone else. The instances when primers have gone off with inertia pullers are no doubt the result of idiots who should not be allowed to handle tools more complicated than a lead pencil either tampering with the sear of the puller or else having their finger on the trigger of the puller. If everyone just followed the basic safety rule of never having the muzzle of the puller pointed at anything that you don't want to shoot, the whole issue would be moot.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Grip n pull on the way.

Thanks to all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had the inertia style. Read about the grip-n-pull here. Bought it. GLAD I did!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've gone both ways, but prefer the kinetic as it does not marf up ones slugs. If I had serious volume I'd go with a collet.

1Minute
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Grip n pull on the way.

Thanks to all.

Good choice

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Steve, I ruined one collet early on, but it was my fault (I grabbed the case mouth). I have pulled hundreds of .224, .270, 7mm, & .308 bullets with no problems. I will add I have found bullets that have bonded to the case neck and or seated so you only have the ogive to grip are good candidates for the kinetic pullet to get the bullets started out. IME the kinetic pullers are ok but separating the powder from the bullet can be messy. I don't have collets larger than .308.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for that, Dave. Like you, I used kinetic pullers. I went with the Grip and Pull because it wasn’t noisy and was less fuss smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I've used the kinetic puller a few times and found it was a royal PIA so I avoid it unless I have a bunch of 223 or other small cases to deal with- which did a few months ago. For just a couple I have used a lineman's pliers and gripped the bullet like the grip and pull does, and it works great but damages the bullets. This looks like the best way to go so I ordered one already...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by KenMi
If you want the bullets to be as close to perfect condition as possible, then use an inertia, and jamb a cotton ball in the bottom of it.
The collet pullers can mar the bullets pretty bad, especially if there is heavy neck tension or crimp.
But, they get marred the instant they touch the rifling, so probably not too much of a worry as far as losing accuracy.

Same here....

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Have the Grip N Pull and depending on the bullet profile you can't get a hold of the bullet. With these I use a Kinetic puller to get them further out of the case to get a better hold of them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You might consider who is claiming the most knowledge on pulling bullets as someone you may not want to listen to.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use an inertial puller I bought from Midway many years ago when dealing with smaller quantities, and a Hornady camlock type for larger quantities. There's a bit of a learning curve with the Hornady puller, but once it's set up and adjusted properly it's easy to pull bullets without damaging them.

If you use an inertial puller, just drop a foam earplug in it to prevent damage to soft points. Much better than a ball of cotton.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve had two inertia bullet pullers they work great until they break. Less marks on the bullets is the main thing. I have two styles of bullet pullers now. They both clamp on the bullet and are used in a press - both work equally well. Well maybe the RCBS version is slightly better. On calibers that I don’t have covered with those I use a pliers - clamp onto the bullet when the case is exposed and lower the ram. That works too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This is my annual notice regarding intertia bullet pullers. In the pic below you’ll see I have a nice “racing stripe” that goes from a quarter inch past the crease of my eye to back in my hairline. This happened years ago and the scar has diminished just a little bit.

This was the result of my intertia puller inadvertently setting off a large rifle magnum primer belonging to a 300 Win Mag. I made a habit of slightly turning my head away when the hammer hit the floor. I was fortunate….it missed my right eye by a quarter inch. The doctor treating me was a hunter and a reloader so he was naturally able to understand what happened. He told me how fortunate I was and that had it been worse, losing my eye could have been the least of my worries. The path of the magnum primer could have conceivably took it straight into my brain after going through my eyeball. Dayum!

When the primer detonated, for some reason it did not ignite the powder in the case. Probably because it was on its way out the backside of the case.

No comments on what a naturally ugly face I have please.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.