Home
Posted By: JoeyWommack Help getting started - 03/15/22
I apologize if this is in the wrong section but it seemed to fit here best.

I am looking to get started reloading. I have been threatening for many years to do it. Can y’all point me to a good resource for what you would recommend?

I’m a buy once cry once type so spending the money on good stuff is not a problem.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Help getting started - 03/15/22
A kit is a good way to go to start with. I helped a 18 yr old get into reloading recently. He went with a Hornady kit, forget which one but it had the auto powder dispenser, OAL gauge etc. It really is a good kit, but you definitely don't need one that expensive. I started with a used RCBS kit, and still use it. One question, are you talking high volume, or more hobby level? I load about 800 rounds a year on my single stage press, but if I was shooting higher volume I would definitely upgrade. Pistol? Rifle?
If I could offer some advice it would be to read/ find videos before you start. Even better would be to find a handloader local to you, and get him to show you the basics.
Posted By: Torque Re: Help getting started - 03/15/22
If you are looking at pistol cartridge reloading, I would look at the Lee Classic Turret. It is easy to use and does a good job of pumping out rounds quickly. I do not worry about pistol ammo being super precise. So, a higher end pistol reloading press has never been a concern of mine. Spend the money on good dies. Take a look at Mighty Armory pistol dies. They are bullet proof and the owner is great to work with.

If you are looking at rifle cartridge reloading, and money isn't and issue, take a look at the Turban CNC Prazipress 120MM. Superb engineering and manufacturing. The Forster Co-Ax is never a bad idea and is quite a bit cheaper. I like the Forster quite a lot because of its ease of die change. The MEC Marksman is a newer press, but it also makes some very precise ammo. Forster and Redding dies are my go to for Rifle reloading.

With all due respect to other posters, I would stay away from kits. While they are an attractive way to start reloading, a lot of the things in the kits won't be used, or at least used for long. The Lyman kit is probably the best kit out, in terms of items you will use for a longer period of time before upgrading.

If you aren't worried about money, the CPS Bench Primer is outstanding, especially if your hands fatigue easily or are arthritic. The Frankfort Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand primer is a good tool also. It is on the heavy side for a hand primer, but has adjustable seating depth.

The RCBS Chargemaster series is great for weighing charges. There are more precise scales out, mainly laboratory scales with reloading accessories, but they will be much, much more expensive.

There are several stand mounted powder dispensers out with quite a bit of variation on how they dispense. I have never used one of these, as I weigh each rifle charge individually, but they are very popular and would definitely speed the process.

Really take a look and Inline Fabrication's line of press stands and accessories. They are very high quality and the owner is very easy to work with and responsive. I love their products.

Mitutoyo Calipers are always a good tool to have on hand. As well as the Hornady, Sinclair, or Short Action Customs Comparator kits.

Get the Lee Reloading manual as well as what ever bullet manufacturer you prefer's manual. Get a good log book for your loads and be religious about writing down your data accurately. A pen with indelible ink is always a good idea too.

IMO, an excellent source on Youtube is Gavin Toobe, Erik Cortina, Johnny's Reloading Bench, and Bolt Action Reloading.
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Help getting started - 03/15/22
Personally, I have not had good luck at all with almost all the Lee stuff I have ever purchased.
Lee would be my last choice of equipment.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Help getting started - 03/15/22
I guess it depends on how involved you plan on getting from the beginning as to whether you will use the entire kit or not. The guy I referred to read quite a bit and talked to quite a few guys, and jumped right in loading 30-30, 7mm mag, and 270 Win. I believe he used everything that came in his kit, even the comparator as he measures to ogive. In my first post I accidently said OAL gauge but meant comparator kit. He also bought a Frankford Arsenal SS tumbling kit so he can load shiny brass like I do. I guess my point is some will find a kit like that to be great for their needs, he certainly does.
As to brand, I would go either Hornady or RCBS
Posted By: JoeyWommack Re: Help getting started - 03/15/22
Thanks for the info so far.

My intention is mainly for rifle. I shoot a good bit of pistol(10mm) so it’s in the back of my mind, for sure.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Help getting started - 03/15/22
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
Personally, I have not had good luck at all with almost all the Lee stuff I have ever purchased.

And that is why a guy should start out with a good kit. Nothing too expensive or complicated either. Something like the RCBS Rock chucker supreme reloading kit. Keep it simple, no need for an electronic scale. Start with a beam scale and become PROFICIENT with its use. Learn when you can just drop powder with the powder measure and when you need to trickle charges in. Each powder is different, where some will allow just the use of the uni-flow and other long kernel (extruded) powders won't. Buy a few different reloading manuals and take the time to read through the how to sections. They all have them and can be quite helpful for a new hand loader. You don't need a lot of fancy gadgets either. Learn how to "soot" the bullet and find your lands and set OAL. Learn how to adjust your die sets so you have minimal shoulder set back and TIR. You can do this easily with out comparators etc.. Develop a routine that makes it easy for you. Don't try to cut important corners or steps, like in properly prepping your brass. Again, the reloading manuals go over brass prep and how to's. Proper handloading can be an art and it shows on the targets downrange. Over time, you'll learn to trust your handloads over any factory made stuff out there because you know exactly what the load consists of and how precise it is. My best advice is to keep it simple, even though there are many guys out there that are going to try to steer you into buying chidt you don't need and making it more complicated.. Trust me on this...
I see both sides of the kit debate, but only came to that stance after several years of reloading. Since I hadn't done years of research before I began, I didn't yet know what I didn't know. As relatively inexpensive as kits are, any "wasted" items the kit will be few, but the new reloader will be fairly well assured to have just about everything they need to get started.

Yes, get a reloading manual. Or use your library, & get [access to] ALL the reloading manuals. I used our statewide interlibrary loan program, & got manuals from all around the state. I'd also HIGHLY recommend Mule Deer's The Big Book of Gun Gack, along with his Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading. Great writing, with even better information. He's distilled the parts that matter most when handloading, saving us from having to waste time & fund$ on stuff that doesn't matter.

Good luck,

FC
Yes, John's books are well worth having and you buy a manual (or two); I like Lyman's.

A kit is the way to start, get an O-frame or a Turret, don't go cheap. RCBS is never a bad choice; a Rock Chucker will out last you, your kids and your grandkids. A friend of mine bought a low-end Lyman a couple of years back, the little c-frame press is OK for pistol rounds, but really lacks the leverage for rifle rounds, I'm sure their bigger presses are fine. If you decide to go progressive, buy a Dillon, don't even consider anything else.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I see both sides of the kit debate, but only came to that stance after several years of reloading. Since I hadn't done years of research before I began, I didn't yet know what I didn't know. As relatively inexpensive as kits are, any "wasted" items the kit will be few, but the new reloader will be fairly well assured to have just about everything they need to get started.

Yes, get a reloading manual. Or use your library, & get [access to] ALL the reloading manuals. I used our statewide interlibrary loan program, & got manuals from all around the state. I'd also HIGHLY recommend Mule Deer's The Big Book of Gun Gack, along with his Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading. Great writing, with even better information. He's distilled the parts that matter most when handloading, saving us from having to waste time & fund$ on stuff that doesn't matter.

Good luck,

FC

I second the recommendation of JB’s books. Great advice all around.
Posted By: mathman Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yes, John's books are well worth having and you buy a manual (or two); I like Lyman's.

A kit is the way to start, get an O-frame or a Turret, don't go cheap. RCBS is never a bad choice; a Rock Chucker will out last you, your kids and your grandkids. A friend of mine bought a low-end Lyman a couple of years back, the little c-frame press is OK for pistol rounds, but really lacks the leverage for rifle rounds, I'm sure their bigger presses are fine. If you decide to go progressive, buy a Dillon, don't even consider anything else.

I've been using one of the small Lyman C-frame presses for a couple of years now. With rifle cartridges up to 30-06 size cases I've had no trouble whatsoever.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
Originally Posted by mathman

I've been using one of the small Lyman C-frame presses for a couple of years now. With rifle cartridges up to 30-06 size cases I've had no trouble whatsoever.

I would agree - I started with a Lyman Spartan & had no issues with cases up to 30-06. 300 WM needed extra encouragement but still not bad
Originally Posted by mathman

Really? One of the newer Brass Smith models? I guess I should throw away his spray lube and gift him some Imperial because it seems excessively hard to size his .223 brass.
Posted By: mathman Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
I've used Imperial for years. Full length resizing 30-06 is no sweat in the little press. 223 is a small base die is easy too.

Added: Yes, it's the small Brass Smith press.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
Originally Posted by Torque
If you are looking at pistol cartridge reloading, I would look at the Lee Classic Turret. It is easy to use and does a good job of pumping out rounds quickly. I do not worry about pistol ammo being super precise. So, a higher end pistol reloading press has never been a concern of mine. Spend the money on good dies. Take a look at Mighty Armory pistol dies. They are bullet proof and the owner is great to work with.

If you are looking at rifle cartridge reloading, and money isn't and issue, take a look at the Turban CNC Prazipress 120MM. Superb engineering and manufacturing. The Forster Co-Ax is never a bad idea and is quite a bit cheaper. I like the Forster quite a lot because of its ease of die change. The MEC Marksman is a newer press, but it also makes some very precise ammo. Forster and Redding dies are my go to for Rifle reloading.

With all due respect to other posters, I would stay away from kits. While they are an attractive way to start reloading, a lot of the things in the kits won't be used, or at least used for long. The Lyman kit is probably the best kit out, in terms of items you will use for a longer period of time before upgrading.

If you aren't worried about money, the CPS Bench Primer is outstanding, especially if your hands fatigue easily or are arthritic. The Frankfort Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand primer is a good tool also. It is on the heavy side for a hand primer, but has adjustable seating depth.

The RCBS Chargemaster series is great for weighing charges. There are more precise scales out, mainly laboratory scales with reloading accessories, but they will be much, much more expensive.

There are several stand mounted powder dispensers out with quite a bit of variation on how they dispense. I have never used one of these, as I weigh each rifle charge individually, but they are very popular and would definitely speed the process.

Really take a look and Inline Fabrication's line of press stands and accessories. They are very high quality and the owner is very easy to work with and responsive. I love their products.

Mitutoyo Calipers are always a good tool to have on hand. As well as the Hornady, Sinclair, or Short Action Customs Comparator kits.

Get the Lee Reloading manual as well as what ever bullet manufacturer you prefer's manual. Get a good log book for your loads and be religious about writing down your data accurately. A pen with indelible ink is always a good idea too.

IMO, an excellent source on Youtube is Gavin Toobe, Erik Cortina, Johnny's Reloading Bench, and Bolt Action Reloading.

Well, he did say price was no object…….sheesh…..
Posted By: DugE Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
I got an old Lyman single stage press, Lyman powder dispenser, Lyman case trimmer, Lyman powder trickler, Lyman digital scale, Lyman manual scale and Lyman 600 tumbler from a buddy who picked it up for me at an estate sale. It was a kit, of sorts.

I then bought several Lee die sets and 2 RCBS in calibers I wanted to load. Mixed in a few hand tools like brushes and chamfer reamers…

I bought a Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer, hand primer, and later on a FA power trimming station.

Other than the tumbler, the FA power trimming station is by far the best purchase. Hand trimming wasn’t fun at all.

I’ve only been reloading about a year now. Many people may tell me I’m not doing it right or bought the wrong stuff. But, so far, I’m having a BLAST and I’ve built some crazy accurate rounds that harvested multiple whitetail this year for me, my family and close friends.

I hope you have as much fun as I am with it.
Posted By: Torque Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
Originally Posted by DugE
I got an old Lyman single stage press, Lyman powder dispenser, Lyman case trimmer, Lyman powder trickler, Lyman digital scale, Lyman manual scale and Lyman 600 tumbler from a buddy who picked it up for me at an estate sale. It was a kit, of sorts.

I then bought several Lee die sets and 2 RCBS in calibers I wanted to load. Mixed in a few hand tools like brushes and chamfer reamers…

I bought a Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer, hand primer, and later on a FA power trimming station.

Other than the tumbler, the FA power trimming station is by far the best purchase. Hand trimming wasn’t fun at all.

I’ve only been reloading about a year now. Many people may tell me I’m not doing it right or bought the wrong stuff. But, so far, I’m having a BLAST and I’ve built some crazy accurate rounds that harvested multiple whitetail this year for me, my family and close friends.

I hope you have as much fun as I am with it.

I use the Lyman case prep station and it is a life saver. It was worth the expense 10 times over. I really hated trimming, too.
Posted By: RCflash Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
Some details learned in my 30+ years of reloading rifle cartridges... in no special order

Use internet to find data and basic procedures. Bullet makers often have data bases online.

Helps if you can have a dedicated reloading place...... especially if you have young kids.

Yes, record everything........... i use a notebook for each caliber.

Start with the fundamental equipment and later buy what you NEED.

Have at least 2 manuals..... again use online sources

Realize it takes a while to get your procedures learned and tuned. This is a great hobby.

Have fun.
Posted By: DugE Re: Help getting started - 03/16/22
AND... something I learned the hard way: small, digital powder scales do not like to be near cell phones or fluorescent lights. I thought my scale was going bad until I researched to find out it was my phone and an overhead fluorescent light causing it to turn off.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Help getting started - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by RCflash
Some details learned in my 30+ years of reloading rifle cartridges... in no special order

Use internet to find data and basic procedures. Bullet makers often have data bases online.

Helps if you can have a dedicated reloading place...... especially if you have young kids.

Yes, record everything........... i use a notebook for each caliber.

Start with the fundamental equipment and later buy what you NEED.

Have at least 2 manuals..... again use online sources

Realize it takes a while to get your procedures learned and tuned. This is a great hobby.

Have fun.

Good advice here.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Help getting started - 03/17/22
Starting out....

RCBS Rock Chucker Press

Lee or RCBS Dies

Lee Decapping Die

Lyman Tumbler and dry media

RCBS Chargemaster Powder Dispenser

Caliper

Bullet Tray MTM or other to hold cases

RCBS universal Hand Primer

Lee lock stud and cutter to trim brass

Chamfer

Reloading Manual
Posted By: LFC Re: Help getting started - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by TonyRumore

Mine also....I'd put Frankfort Arsenal handloading equipment at the very bottom of the barrel.
Posted By: Torque Re: Help getting started - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by Esox357
Starting out....

RCBS Rock Chucker Press

Lee or RCBS Dies

Lee Decapping Die

Lyman Tumbler and dry media

RCBS Chargemaster Powder Dispenser

Caliper

Bullet Tray MTM or other to hold cases

RCBS universal Hand Primer

Lee lock stud and cutter to trim brass

Chamfer

Reloading Manual

Good list, but IF he decides to go RCBS for a press instead of the Forster or MEC, wouldn't the Rebel be a better way to go instead of the Rock Chucker?
Posted By: Burr Re: Help getting started - 03/20/22
You asked.. As it relates to reloading bottle neck cases to be fired in bolt action type rifles:

After more than 40 years of handloading - I'll suggest those items that I got very early on, and still use to this day. The Rockchucker press will only be a bad choice if you wish to change to a progressive press, and the kit will fill out those simple items that you'll need to start, even if some of them don't endure into the future.

As others have stated, the reloading manuals have so much more in then than recipes for the different cartridges. Buy a few, and read the sections they have on how to reload.

Other items I'd suggest: Something to clean cases, a vibratory polisher is something I've always used. Even when I started washing brass, I still use the vibratory tumbler to polisher to this day. If you want to load clean brass, start with something.

I started out with a Stoney point OAL gauge, now owned by Hornady, and use it to this day for every cartridge I reload.

A chronograph can be had for under $100, and while I've changed tools to a different velocity gauge, a chronograph is a reasonably priced tool to start with. For me, knowing velocity on hand loaded cartridges is a safety step and worth the $100 investment.

Then, much more optional - but a hand priming tool fits what I described. I started with one, and while I now have several different hand priming tools, it's an improvement over priming on-the-press that is worth it from day 1.

A work area, bench, etc. Even if it's a micro-small work station for reloading, consider where you'll set these things up and make it convenient if you have some time to just go to your work area, with the basics setup, and organized, and you'll have the number 1 reason why people start reloading, but don't stick with it defeated. Plan a space that will be reserved for reloading activity. If you need to build a bench to mount the press, build it. Make the tools accessible, so the process is accessible.

Shooting "stuff". If you're going to reload, you're going to shoot more, so consider if there are some things you'd really like to have for those trips to the range, be aware those trips to the range are going to become more frequent.

My other suggestion, you don't need to load 100,200, or 300 rounds once you've identified the recipe. If you stick with the reloading hobby, you'll likely evolve, and want to try some different things for the same gun you first reloaded. Load 20, or 40. If you use them up, you can pull out your recipte and load another 20. I reloaded my 7 mag back when I was a teenager, and once the recipe was identified, I loaded 100 rounds. Granted I have several rifles now, and some years I don't pull my 7 mag out - but I've still got 50 of those 100 left to shoot, 4 decades later. If I was itching to try a different bullet, or try any change in components, may as well not have an ammo supply already loaded that will last decades into the future, which is what 100 rounds will be for a hunting rifle.
Posted By: 450BM Re: Help getting started - 03/23/22
I’ve been loading for 44 years, started when I was 12… I have 3 presses on my bench, an RCBS rockchucker, a Forster Co-ax and a Dillon 550. If I could only have one, it would be the Forster. With it’s universal shell holder and priming attachment, it will load most cartridges as it is from the factory. For odd stuff you need to buy another shell holder but I believe that one would handle everything else. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong here. Dies can be inserted and removed very quickly. Priming attachment will also fit (just about) any cartridge base and the only downside is you have to hand feed one primer at a time. But, they are seated perfectly every time. Leverage is superb as are the fit, finish and spent primer catching. There is nothing I dislike about the Forster.

I still use the RCBS though. When I’m loading a few test loads for my 44 magnum I use the RCBS so I don’t have to change “stuff” on the Dillon or changeover things on the Forster. I also use it with a Lyman Ram Prime die, again so I don’t have switch the Forster over. It’s also my bullet sizing station and works perfect with Lee bullet sizing dies. Yeah, I cast, for all my pistols and for many of my rifles but that’s an entirely different part of the reloading bug…

My Dillon I can setup to load all my pistol cartridges and also 223 (I added a carbide expander so I don’t have to lube the inside of the neck on these) All other pistol dies have carbide sizers so no lube on any of them. I load 45 acp too and I could set it up for rifles with the same base but I never have because I don’t load enough at a time to warrant that. That and I have the other two single stage presses and will use them both sometimes for different operations.

I have two beam scales and I never worry about them being accurate. They always are and if I do measure something wrong it’s completely my fault.

I also have two powder throwers and a set of the Lee measuring cups that work well for small batches. Everything get’s thrown light and then I use a manual powder trickler to make them perfect. The Dillon has a powder thrower and those charges are not weighed and trickled. I trust the Dillon and I’m not worried about precision accuracy with those loads, it’s all about quantity and speed.

I have 2 or 3 manual trimmers and hate that process. This is one place I should spend some money and upgrade…

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is a good solid bench. I built my own, I’m very proud of and I’ve never seen anything that quite measures up to it. It’s 30 inches deep, about 84 inches long and 2 3/4” thick sugar (hard) maple. It’s glued up pieces so it won’t warp or move. And it doesn’t, this thing is SOLID! I like watching reloading videos on Youtube and my biggest pet peeve is seeing a weak bench top (usually plywood) that flexes a lot with every pull of the handle. Makes me cringe… I even offered to build one for one of the channels if he lived closer and could come to my shop. But, he’s 2000 miles away and the shipping kind of kills that deal… Anyways, get a good bench top. If you can’t, put a 3/8” steel plate under the press and anchor that well to the bench top. I did that before I built my current one and the press was as solid as what I have now. My bench top sits on a custom “table” with 20 drawers with 3/4” extension slides. I spend a lot of time reloading and I enjoy the space I have.

Bullet manuals are great when you’re sticking to one bullet manufacturer. I started out with Sierra but have 6 different ones right now. The Internet changed this need a lot of course as you can find pretty much anything you want there. I still refer to my manuals though and like my Lyman(s) because they aren’t specific to one bullet manufacturer and it’s easier for to compare things.

A bullet puller is handy (I use mine a lot playing with different bullets and loads) so is a stuck case remover, which I’ve never had to use but it’s comforting having it.

I don’t save money by reloading but I sure do shoot a lot more for the same money! I’ll shoot thousands of rounds with my rifles I shoot cast in this year. it’s a great hobby if you like “building” stuff and then you get see if it really works!

Lots of great advise from the guys here, kits or by the piece, get what you want and can afford. Components are another story…
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Help getting started - 03/23/22
Originally Posted by 450BM

. . . One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is a good solid bench. I built my own, I’m very proud of and I’ve never seen anything that quite measures up to it. It’s 30 inches deep, about 84 inches long and 2 3/4” thick sugar (hard) maple. It’s glued up pieces so it won’t warp or move. And it doesn’t, this thing is SOLID! I like watching reloading videos on Youtube and my biggest pet peeve is seeing a weak bench top (usually plywood) that flexes a lot with every pull of the handle. Makes me cringe… I even offered to build one for one of the channels if he lived closer and could come to my shop. But, he’s 2000 miles away and the shipping kind of kills that deal… Anyways, get a good bench top. If you can’t, put a 3/8” steel plate under the press and anchor that well to the bench top. I did that before I built my current one and the press was as solid as what I have now. . . .

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^
I guess that makes 2 of us
Trying to load with a flimsy flexy bench is
only slightly better than trying to use the
press in your lap
A good piece of plate underneath and
some good bolts make a difference even
with a proper thick bench top
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Help getting started - 03/24/22
There's already been a lot of good information here so I will just get into some specifics off of the top of my head. First, pretty much any press will do. To those who've been reloading for years, some of this is basic; but, a new reloader might not know. Different brands of dies will work in other brands of presses. The same applies to shell holders. Just note that the shell holder numbers aren't universal. That's no problem, just make a little chart on a notecard of what number for what brand goes for what cartridges.

Additionally, although press mounted priming sounds great in theory, to me, it's a pain and not as effective or even as fast, in my opinion, as a hand priming tool. Since you said you are a buy once, cry once guy, I would highly suggest the Frankford Arsenal Hand Priming Tool (https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/perfect-seat-hand-primer/110006.html). I also highly recommend that you get a stuck case remover right away. If you stick one, you are done until you remove it. I would also recommend a universal decapping die. It is very handy, inexpensive, fast and effective.

Get a reloading bench. Any old workbench will work and setting up and tearing down your equipment will work. However, a designated area is more convenient, more organized and, frankly, safer. You can build your own or buy one. My most recent purchase after a move was one from Harbor Freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-...n-4-drawer-hardwood-workbench-63395.html). You probably can't buy the raw materials today for the price of that thing.

There are a lot of good resources on the internet. I always recommend that if you find something on a forum, verify it elsewhere also. Just because someone with an aggressive personality publicly asserts that his way has worked forever, he sees no need to do anything different and anybody who does it differently is a stupid mf'er, doesn't mean he's right. It may not mean he's wrong, but it doesn't mean he's right.

Youtube really is your friend and there are a lot of good simplified demonstrations of all of the tools and equipment needed on youtube posts. You will learn to weed through them quickly. Some will be the "pa says we don't need no book learnin'" types and some will be professionally done. You will quickly find ones you like, of either of those types, which get down to brass tacks and in two to ten minutes show you the ins and outs of a particular tool, process or device without yucking it up in between for an additional 1/2 hour or so of what they think is entertaining filler. Good luck and enjoy and, most importantly, be safe.
© 24hourcampfire