Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I apologize if this is in the wrong section but it seemed to fit here best.

I am looking to get started reloading. I have been threatening for many years to do it. Can y’all point me to a good resource for what you would recommend?

I’m a buy once cry once type so spending the money on good stuff is not a problem.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A kit is a good way to go to start with. I helped a 18 yr old get into reloading recently. He went with a Hornady kit, forget which one but it had the auto powder dispenser, OAL gauge etc. It really is a good kit, but you definitely don't need one that expensive. I started with a used RCBS kit, and still use it. One question, are you talking high volume, or more hobby level? I load about 800 rounds a year on my single stage press, but if I was shooting higher volume I would definitely upgrade. Pistol? Rifle?
If I could offer some advice it would be to read/ find videos before you start. Even better would be to find a handloader local to you, and get him to show you the basics.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you are looking at pistol cartridge reloading, I would look at the Lee Classic Turret. It is easy to use and does a good job of pumping out rounds quickly. I do not worry about pistol ammo being super precise. So, a higher end pistol reloading press has never been a concern of mine. Spend the money on good dies. Take a look at Mighty Armory pistol dies. They are bullet proof and the owner is great to work with.

If you are looking at rifle cartridge reloading, and money isn't and issue, take a look at the Turban CNC Prazipress 120MM. Superb engineering and manufacturing. The Forster Co-Ax is never a bad idea and is quite a bit cheaper. I like the Forster quite a lot because of its ease of die change. The MEC Marksman is a newer press, but it also makes some very precise ammo. Forster and Redding dies are my go to for Rifle reloading.

With all due respect to other posters, I would stay away from kits. While they are an attractive way to start reloading, a lot of the things in the kits won't be used, or at least used for long. The Lyman kit is probably the best kit out, in terms of items you will use for a longer period of time before upgrading.

If you aren't worried about money, the CPS Bench Primer is outstanding, especially if your hands fatigue easily or are arthritic. The Frankfort Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand primer is a good tool also. It is on the heavy side for a hand primer, but has adjustable seating depth.

The RCBS Chargemaster series is great for weighing charges. There are more precise scales out, mainly laboratory scales with reloading accessories, but they will be much, much more expensive.

There are several stand mounted powder dispensers out with quite a bit of variation on how they dispense. I have never used one of these, as I weigh each rifle charge individually, but they are very popular and would definitely speed the process.

Really take a look and Inline Fabrication's line of press stands and accessories. They are very high quality and the owner is very easy to work with and responsive. I love their products.

Mitutoyo Calipers are always a good tool to have on hand. As well as the Hornady, Sinclair, or Short Action Customs Comparator kits.

Get the Lee Reloading manual as well as what ever bullet manufacturer you prefer's manual. Get a good log book for your loads and be religious about writing down your data accurately. A pen with indelible ink is always a good idea too.

IMO, an excellent source on Youtube is Gavin Toobe, Erik Cortina, Johnny's Reloading Bench, and Bolt Action Reloading.

Last edited by Torque; 03/15/22. Reason: Added reloading books and log

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Personally, I have not had good luck at all with almost all the Lee stuff I have ever purchased.
Lee would be my last choice of equipment.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I guess it depends on how involved you plan on getting from the beginning as to whether you will use the entire kit or not. The guy I referred to read quite a bit and talked to quite a few guys, and jumped right in loading 30-30, 7mm mag, and 270 Win. I believe he used everything that came in his kit, even the comparator as he measures to ogive. In my first post I accidently said OAL gauge but meant comparator kit. He also bought a Frankford Arsenal SS tumbling kit so he can load shiny brass like I do. I guess my point is some will find a kit like that to be great for their needs, he certainly does.
As to brand, I would go either Hornady or RCBS

Last edited by Jevyod; 03/15/22.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the info so far.

My intention is mainly for rifle. I shoot a good bit of pistol(10mm) so it’s in the back of my mind, for sure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
Personally, I have not had good luck at all with almost all the Lee stuff I have ever purchased.
Lee would be my last choice of equipment.

And that is why a guy should start out with a good kit. Nothing too expensive or complicated either. Something like the RCBS Rock chucker supreme reloading kit. Keep it simple, no need for an electronic scale. Start with a beam scale and become PROFICIENT with its use. Learn when you can just drop powder with the powder measure and when you need to trickle charges in. Each powder is different, where some will allow just the use of the uni-flow and other long kernel (extruded) powders won't. Buy a few different reloading manuals and take the time to read through the how to sections. They all have them and can be quite helpful for a new hand loader. You don't need a lot of fancy gadgets either. Learn how to "soot" the bullet and find your lands and set OAL. Learn how to adjust your die sets so you have minimal shoulder set back and TIR. You can do this easily with out comparators etc.. Develop a routine that makes it easy for you. Don't try to cut important corners or steps, like in properly prepping your brass. Again, the reloading manuals go over brass prep and how to's. Proper handloading can be an art and it shows on the targets downrange. Over time, you'll learn to trust your handloads over any factory made stuff out there because you know exactly what the load consists of and how precise it is. My best advice is to keep it simple, even though there are many guys out there that are going to try to steer you into buying chidt you don't need and making it more complicated.. Trust me on this...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I see both sides of the kit debate, but only came to that stance after several years of reloading. Since I hadn't done years of research before I began, I didn't yet know what I didn't know. As relatively inexpensive as kits are, any "wasted" items the kit will be few, but the new reloader will be fairly well assured to have just about everything they need to get started.

Yes, get a reloading manual. Or use your library, & get [access to] ALL the reloading manuals. I used our statewide interlibrary loan program, & got manuals from all around the state. I'd also HIGHLY recommend Mule Deer's The Big Book of Gun Gack, along with his Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading. Great writing, with even better information. He's distilled the parts that matter most when handloading, saving us from having to waste time & fund$ on stuff that doesn't matter.

Good luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, John's books are well worth having and you buy a manual (or two); I like Lyman's.

A kit is the way to start, get an O-frame or a Turret, don't go cheap. RCBS is never a bad choice; a Rock Chucker will out last you, your kids and your grandkids. A friend of mine bought a low-end Lyman a couple of years back, the little c-frame press is OK for pistol rounds, but really lacks the leverage for rifle rounds, I'm sure their bigger presses are fine. If you decide to go progressive, buy a Dillon, don't even consider anything else.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I see both sides of the kit debate, but only came to that stance after several years of reloading. Since I hadn't done years of research before I began, I didn't yet know what I didn't know. As relatively inexpensive as kits are, any "wasted" items the kit will be few, but the new reloader will be fairly well assured to have just about everything they need to get started.

Yes, get a reloading manual. Or use your library, & get [access to] ALL the reloading manuals. I used our statewide interlibrary loan program, & got manuals from all around the state. I'd also HIGHLY recommend Mule Deer's The Big Book of Gun Gack, along with his Rifle Trouble-Shooting and Handloading. Great writing, with even better information. He's distilled the parts that matter most when handloading, saving us from having to waste time & fund$ on stuff that doesn't matter.

Good luck,

FC

I second the recommendation of JB’s books. Great advice all around.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yes, John's books are well worth having and you buy a manual (or two); I like Lyman's.

A kit is the way to start, get an O-frame or a Turret, don't go cheap. RCBS is never a bad choice; a Rock Chucker will out last you, your kids and your grandkids. A friend of mine bought a low-end Lyman a couple of years back, the little c-frame press is OK for pistol rounds, but really lacks the leverage for rifle rounds, I'm sure their bigger presses are fine. If you decide to go progressive, buy a Dillon, don't even consider anything else.

I've been using one of the small Lyman C-frame presses for a couple of years now. With rifle cartridges up to 30-06 size cases I've had no trouble whatsoever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

I've been using one of the small Lyman C-frame presses for a couple of years now. With rifle cartridges up to 30-06 size cases I've had no trouble whatsoever.

I would agree - I started with a Lyman Spartan & had no issues with cases up to 30-06. 300 WM needed extra encouragement but still not bad

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mathman

Really? One of the newer Brass Smith models? I guess I should throw away his spray lube and gift him some Imperial because it seems excessively hard to size his .223 brass.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used Imperial for years. Full length resizing 30-06 is no sweat in the little press. 223 is a small base die is easy too.

Added: Yes, it's the small Brass Smith press.

Last edited by mathman; 03/15/22. Reason: added text
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Torque
If you are looking at pistol cartridge reloading, I would look at the Lee Classic Turret. It is easy to use and does a good job of pumping out rounds quickly. I do not worry about pistol ammo being super precise. So, a higher end pistol reloading press has never been a concern of mine. Spend the money on good dies. Take a look at Mighty Armory pistol dies. They are bullet proof and the owner is great to work with.

If you are looking at rifle cartridge reloading, and money isn't and issue, take a look at the Turban CNC Prazipress 120MM. Superb engineering and manufacturing. The Forster Co-Ax is never a bad idea and is quite a bit cheaper. I like the Forster quite a lot because of its ease of die change. The MEC Marksman is a newer press, but it also makes some very precise ammo. Forster and Redding dies are my go to for Rifle reloading.

With all due respect to other posters, I would stay away from kits. While they are an attractive way to start reloading, a lot of the things in the kits won't be used, or at least used for long. The Lyman kit is probably the best kit out, in terms of items you will use for a longer period of time before upgrading.

If you aren't worried about money, the CPS Bench Primer is outstanding, especially if your hands fatigue easily or are arthritic. The Frankfort Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand primer is a good tool also. It is on the heavy side for a hand primer, but has adjustable seating depth.

The RCBS Chargemaster series is great for weighing charges. There are more precise scales out, mainly laboratory scales with reloading accessories, but they will be much, much more expensive.

There are several stand mounted powder dispensers out with quite a bit of variation on how they dispense. I have never used one of these, as I weigh each rifle charge individually, but they are very popular and would definitely speed the process.

Really take a look and Inline Fabrication's line of press stands and accessories. They are very high quality and the owner is very easy to work with and responsive. I love their products.

Mitutoyo Calipers are always a good tool to have on hand. As well as the Hornady, Sinclair, or Short Action Customs Comparator kits.

Get the Lee Reloading manual as well as what ever bullet manufacturer you prefer's manual. Get a good log book for your loads and be religious about writing down your data accurately. A pen with indelible ink is always a good idea too.

IMO, an excellent source on Youtube is Gavin Toobe, Erik Cortina, Johnny's Reloading Bench, and Bolt Action Reloading.

Well, he did say price was no object…….sheesh…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got an old Lyman single stage press, Lyman powder dispenser, Lyman case trimmer, Lyman powder trickler, Lyman digital scale, Lyman manual scale and Lyman 600 tumbler from a buddy who picked it up for me at an estate sale. It was a kit, of sorts.

I then bought several Lee die sets and 2 RCBS in calibers I wanted to load. Mixed in a few hand tools like brushes and chamfer reamers…

I bought a Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer, hand primer, and later on a FA power trimming station.

Other than the tumbler, the FA power trimming station is by far the best purchase. Hand trimming wasn’t fun at all.

I’ve only been reloading about a year now. Many people may tell me I’m not doing it right or bought the wrong stuff. But, so far, I’m having a BLAST and I’ve built some crazy accurate rounds that harvested multiple whitetail this year for me, my family and close friends.

I hope you have as much fun as I am with it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DugE
I got an old Lyman single stage press, Lyman powder dispenser, Lyman case trimmer, Lyman powder trickler, Lyman digital scale, Lyman manual scale and Lyman 600 tumbler from a buddy who picked it up for me at an estate sale. It was a kit, of sorts.

I then bought several Lee die sets and 2 RCBS in calibers I wanted to load. Mixed in a few hand tools like brushes and chamfer reamers…

I bought a Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer, hand primer, and later on a FA power trimming station.

Other than the tumbler, the FA power trimming station is by far the best purchase. Hand trimming wasn’t fun at all.

I’ve only been reloading about a year now. Many people may tell me I’m not doing it right or bought the wrong stuff. But, so far, I’m having a BLAST and I’ve built some crazy accurate rounds that harvested multiple whitetail this year for me, my family and close friends.

I hope you have as much fun as I am with it.

I use the Lyman case prep station and it is a life saver. It was worth the expense 10 times over. I really hated trimming, too.

Last edited by Torque; 03/16/22.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Some details learned in my 30+ years of reloading rifle cartridges... in no special order

Use internet to find data and basic procedures. Bullet makers often have data bases online.

Helps if you can have a dedicated reloading place...... especially if you have young kids.

Yes, record everything........... i use a notebook for each caliber.

Start with the fundamental equipment and later buy what you NEED.

Have at least 2 manuals..... again use online sources

Realize it takes a while to get your procedures learned and tuned. This is a great hobby.

Have fun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
AND... something I learned the hard way: small, digital powder scales do not like to be near cell phones or fluorescent lights. I thought my scale was going bad until I researched to find out it was my phone and an overhead fluorescent light causing it to turn off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RCflash
Some details learned in my 30+ years of reloading rifle cartridges... in no special order

Use internet to find data and basic procedures. Bullet makers often have data bases online.

Helps if you can have a dedicated reloading place...... especially if you have young kids.

Yes, record everything........... i use a notebook for each caliber.

Start with the fundamental equipment and later buy what you NEED.

Have at least 2 manuals..... again use online sources

Realize it takes a while to get your procedures learned and tuned. This is a great hobby.

Have fun.

Good advice here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.