Home
Posted By: Jeffrey 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/16/22
I just picked up a couple of boxes of these and was wondering if any of you have any loads for this combination. The box says 8.5” twist or faster, which I was unaware of when I purchased the bullets from Midway. Believe my rifle has a 1-9” twist. Should I be alright here?
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/17/22
Just tried loading a few of these up and looks like a big fat no-go. I’ll be selling the remaining 194 bullets if anyone wants them. Please send a pm if you’re interested.

$100 shipped for one unopened box and the other with 94 remaining bullets out of 100.
my 280AI shoots handloaded 162 ELD-X great
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Just tried loading a few of these up and looks like a big fat no-go. I’ll be selling the remaining 194 bullets if anyone wants them. Please send a pm if you’re interested.

$100 shipped for one unopened box and the other with 94 remaining bullets out of 100.

What happened when you shot them?

My 9tw shoots 180 ELD-M/180 & 184gr. Berger Hybrids, friends 9tw shoots 190gr. A-Tips fine.

How about a little background? Just exactly makes them "big fat no-go?" COAL too long for the magazine/chamber? Inquiring minds want to know . . . . .
Posted By: Axtell Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/20/22

You could tell that in 6 rounds?

With an 8.5 twist you may not realize the full BC potential but that does not mean they won't shoot well.

An 8 twist 280ai with a 175 ELD-X does fine for accuracy as will an 8.5.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by Axtell

You could tell that in 6 rounds?

With an 8.5 twist you may not realize the full BC potential but that does not mean they won't shoot well.

An 8 twist 280ai with a 175 ELD-X does fine for accuracy as will an 8.5.

Yeah, I think it's only like a couple of percent, nothing to fret over.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/20/22
The mag box length (3.300”) seating to SAAMI specs, heavy powder compression to the point of deforming bullet tips (not the plastic tip, but the jacket immediately behind the plastic tip).

Just too much bullet and not enough case capacity given my mag box limitations is the crux of the issue.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/20/22
The mag box length (3.300”) seating to SAAMI specs, heavy powder compression to the point of deforming bullet tips (not the plastic tip, but the jacket immediately behind the plastic tip).

Just too much bullet and not enough case capacity given my mag box limitations is the crux of the issue.

My brothers Kimber would be the same. Not enough mag space with the longer bullets.
You might need to change out your bullet seating (tip, plug, tool.) VLD This will have a better contact to the end of your bullet.
That may help, but when you see how much bullet is stuffed into the case verses outside of the case I start to think that it’s just not meant to be. That 175 ELD-X is a looooong bullet.
The Kimber Montucky 84L,is an exceptionally POOR 280AI platform,due mechanics. The COAL is simply horrid,which derails the train. At BEST on an '06 length case,it makes a fair to middlin' 6-06 Donor. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

RPM makes zero fhuqks,if it won't meld COAL. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Simply roll to a 700 and you reap nearly 3.700" COAL,which grants .838 BC magfed Smooches,with room to chase lands. Montucky max COAL illustrated,ala Six Twat-Six. Hint.

Same .838 BC 280 SALAMI Smooches pictured above,in OEM 700 box for conversation and because I have a "few". Hint.

Now connect 84L .838 BC dots and reap a Seven Times Fifty-Seven Mouser Improved and keep the shank/boat tail juncture in a happy place,inside the 3.325" trite Montucky 84L OEM confines. Hint.

IF you actually fhuqking shoot,such things are KNOWN,welllllllllllll before the first shot or boolit purchase. Hint.

You ladies REALLY should be taking fhuqking notes,prior to purchase. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Just sayin'....................
So, the 7x57 Imp is nested about perfect for the Kimber. Why wouldn't the 284 Win work real well on the same rifle? I get I'd lose a round of capacity, but otherwise?

Just thinking Lapua brass is pretty easy to find in the 284.
The nuances of CRF and it's geometry,don't play NEARLY as nice as PF do,when skirting the mainstream. 284 Win Dummies felt like a HotDog "sliding" past a 40-grit sleeping bag,only to hit a wall dead headed. Hint.(grin)

It's ALL about connecting mechanical dots,less getting greedy in ANY direction. Hint.

Though I'm guilty of multiple 6-284's,25-284's and Vanilla 284's on PF Big Green's. Hint..............(grin)
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The nuances of CRF and it's geometry,don't play NEARLY as nice as PF do,when skirting the mainstream. 284 Win Dummies felt like a HotDog "sliding" past a 40-grit sleeping bag,only to hit a wall dead headed. Hint.(grin)

It's ALL about connecting mechanical dots,less getting greedy in ANY direction. Hint.

Though I'm guilty of multiple 6-284's,25-284's and Vanilla 284's on PF Big Green's. Hint..............(grin)

Gotcha, makes sense. I was just thinking when you posted the 7mm Mauser Improved, the easy would be the 284 would be nearly the same case space, but if feeding sucks then X57 would be slick as well..
Stick,

That is useful information packed in a mildly dickheadish package. I’m glad to see you trying. I think the 7x57 Ack is an interesting concept, but I don’t think I’ll be throwing the baby out with the bath water yet.

I’m not so concerned about velocity gains over a standard 280 and my rifle does shoot some lighter bullets very well, up to a 150 Sierra. I don’t feel the need to shoot the heaviest bullet out there, but I will still be looking for a little heavier weight and constructed bullet to take on elk duty, as that’s the role the rifle was intended to fill.

I’ve been using a 338F Montana for that (in my short, burgeoning elk hunting career) and wanted something with just a little more poke. Having said that, I don’t feel undergunned with the Fed. I still intend to keep shots reasonable and this 280 will still do what I bought it for, carry well and shoot as far as I need it to, even if I have to settle for a 160 grain Accubond or some similar ilk. Now if only Nosler and others can get some bullets on the market.
JawFree,

Gents that shoot,don't say the STUPID schit you do,nor ask those STUPID questions. Hint.

Mechanics ain't subjective and bullets simply matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,if only to your cud chewing chagrin. Hint.

Bless your heart for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/21/22
Okay stick. Go back to being a lonely miserable old hobbit. Thanks for playing.
JawFree,

Simply use your Imagination,to Pretend,that you didn't start this this Thread...or source what everyone but you knew,prior to your Dumbfhuqktitude.

You Sloppy Piece Of CLUELESS Schit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Jeffrey,

In your situation with the 84L, assuming you're just shooting moderate distances and don't wish to change chambering, you'd be better off with the medium weight bullets such as 140 to 160 grains. The longer, heavier high bc bullets are better for shooting longer distances in a longer magazine.
SniffleKchunt,

You've never even fhuqking SEEN one. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/21/22
That’s certainly what I’ll do. Didn’t have my heart set on the 175, but they were available so I thought I’d give them a try.

I have a few boxes of 140 Accubonds, but will be keeping an eye out for some 160s.
Posted By: TX35W Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/25/22

Dammit. Just ordered a Bart 1:8 to screw on an old 700 LA for a 3.7 COAL 280AI...
Rather nice melding,but make mine 280 SALAMI. Hint...................

Posted By: beretzs Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/25/22
Why 280 Rem over the Improved version? Easier start with no Fireforming?
EVERY round shot in a rifle,gets fireformed and many are quick to overlook same. For me,I'll happily take Lapooey Twat-Six Virgin's,wearing a positive headspaced false shoulder in said chambering and only trim cases once,in their life cycle. The "difference" in "load data"/velocity betwixt that forming operation and the second poke,is dick nothing and I'm quick to holster Sametitude. Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Hint.

You gotsta' make a pretty big case capacity increase,to whistle 180/90's to a very different velocity threshold and I'd rather have the extra round in the belly and don't fret a coupla extra "clicks" on an erector,dabbling in distant zipcodes. The wind makes zero fhuqks too,as I'm happy to simply let the projectile do the "work". Hint.

Going 7mm RemMag of course changes things and they roll off Big Green's shelf Race Ready,in regards to throat/COAL/RPM. They mate .796 BC 180's exceptionally,at Low Tide in all atmospheres. Hint.

I kept a 6x MQ on that one for Dissenters and often drove it to 1600yds+. Hell,that rifle alone sold alotta scopes. Hint.(grin)

Actually just peeled said glass last week,because a Sheep Hunting pard got in a bad way with Reupold(again),so I emergency Mailed it to him with the rings,a coupla zero-stops and turret covers. So I reckon I'll likely '16x Barkin' Arken said platform,because I don't have any 6x MQ's laying loose(never do). Hint.

It'll kinda/sorta match this 8" RPM 280 SALAMI,sipping from AICS DBM,beings I tossed it in of Ryan's Faux Five's and it being Bushy DMR'd. It is one of few,in which I never taped the fore 'cap,so Dissenters could see "6x" staring at them. Hint. LAUGHING!

Tough to beat Big Green L/A COAL. Hint....................
Posted By: TX35W Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/25/22
Rather nice melding,but make mine 280 SALAMI. Hint..................

Whelp...that makes it even easier as I have lots of 280 brass. I'll whip up some dummies and send to Shaen.
He's built me a couple 280 SALAMI's,that are simply fhuqking SENSATIONAL. Hint.

The little fhuqker KNOWS what's up and more importantly WHY. Hint.................
Originally Posted by beretzs
I dont get why people get hung up on " fireforming " if a AI cartridge is set up properly theres a .004 crush fit, and for giggles i put them into the lands anyway.
Do load development when you want to " fireform" just like any other case and its quite accurate.
I have " fireform" loads thst are .25 m.o.a.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 175 ELD-X in Kimber 280 AI - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by beretzs
I dont get why people get hung up on " fireforming " if a AI cartridge is set up properly theres a .004 crush fit, and for giggles i put them into the lands anyway.
Do load development when you want to " fireform" just like any other case and its quite accurate.
I have " fireform" loads thst are .25 m.o.a.

This rifle fire-formed sub MOA right off the bat with the 150 Sierras and h4895. Brass was Norma 280 Rem. Loaded up h4350 with the same bullet and got good results. Could probably go faster, but getting 2900 and good groups holding out to 600 yards.

I may give the 160 Speer Spitzer a try. They are available and I have to think that weight bullet at 2800-2900 fps will work well if I can get them to shoot.
© 24hourcampfire