Home
Few months back, had some great velocity from leverevolution and 200 grain hot cors in the little 308:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-308-win-200-grain-hotcor-leverevolution

Decided to test the forbidden fruit: 220 grainers from a 308 winchester in a standard Ruger American, standar COAL.

I started at 42 grains and worked up to 46 grains in some range rubbish brass using standard primers.

I saw 2515 fps from 46 grains of powder. Easy extraction all the way through 42-46 grains.

Lerevolution shows a very sneaky sign of pressure: extraction like butter, but loose primer pockets. At 46 grains of powder, I got 3 firings before the primer pockets loosened.

Read my other thread posted above for more detailed info on the loose primer pockets.

Backed down to 45 grains, accuracy improved from 1.5" groups to 3/4 " groups. 2480 fps, still tight primer pockets loaded up for the 4th firing.

Few things I learned:

The supposed 220 grain 30-06 advantage is non-existant.

The 220 grain partition does not impede powder capacity in the 308 winchester.

A specialized ball powder giving similar performance to a 30-06 in a shorter cartridge, is history repeating itself.

Plenty of powder capacity @ 45 grains in my range-rubbish winchester brass. So a feller doesn't need to worry about which ever brass or cartridge over-all length. Leverevolution is the densest ball powder I've ever used, perfect for the 308 win under-dog.

Recoil from the light rifle was WAY less than a 30-06. This was a sporterized Mauser using 30-06 federal blue box 220 grain ammo.

And as always, the 6.5 douch-nozzle-creedmoor will never out-do the 308 winchester.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thank you again! My hunting load is the 200s at 2450. I must try this load for spring bear. Heavies rule
It's getting close to the time of year where it's a concern, so I'll just throw it out there:

You'll shoot yer eye out.
Awesome Pard! I was going to load a little Mauser in .308 with the Speer 200HC, but the rifle had a super tight chamber/short throat length. At the time I needed something else and sold it. I was going to use it in the timber on cow elk. I like the big heavy round nose bullets.
Thanks gents, leverevolution is THE 308 winchester powder.

It has a very narrow window of performance. It is a weird powder. I bet it would make a very potent powder for the 300 savage as well.

Was hoping to use this load on the creeks for moose this past fall, but unfortunately the plastic mags weren't holding up to all the 200 and 220 grainers.

Need to go boyds laminated stock to get that nice aluminum bottom metal and steel ai mags.

Anyhow, just a basic do-all general purpose Alaskan load.

Just read Richard Mann's stupid fkn moose hunting story. He was hunting my native mi'kmaw country. Dude dropped prone and crippled a small bull moose with a 150 grain partition. A frontal shot. Arrogant fkn minimilists.

I've communicated with him and he thinks 200 grain bullets or 220 grain bullets arent necessary and don't expand properly in the 308 winchester?

Who the fk drops prone at 50 yds for a moose?!:

"From the prone position and with a target at only 60 yards I was prepared for a precision shot. I placed the tip of the Trijicon post reticle just under the moose’s nose and at the center of his chest. Then I touched off the shot I had been waiting for.

The rifle roared and the moose twisted and turned into the thickness. As expected with a chest shot, there was little blood. That and the fact that the forest was wet made tracking difficult. We looked for an hour and then went back to the scene of the encounter. Gordon took the place of the moose and I retraced the shot. The investigation did not reveal good news. The Nolser Partition had hit a branch about the size of a pencil and even though the moose was only about 15 feet behind that branch, there was no confidence in where the bullet actually struck the bull.

Another hour and a half of searching turned up only a few drops of blood."

https://empty-cases.com/blog/spruce-branch-moose/
That same year he crippled that mulligan bull, I called a big boy right into camp. Slapped some leafy willow brush with a 275 grain woodleigh. Behind that willow brush was the most pissed off, rut-raged bull I've ever shot. Frontal shot.

Anyhow, the bullet got sideways. It didn't expand and was near the diaphragm. It looked like a banana.

That was a 358 winchester. This same author had the audacity to describe the 358 winchester in a nosler reloading manual. He don't know jack mother fkn sht about the 358 winchester, or whats a proper moose bullet..........

Thank you for this writeup. I happen to have Leverevolution powder I use for another cartridge and am going to try and duplicate your findings.
Good post, thanks.
you can never go wrong with a 220 gr RN...used them on Northern MN and Northern Wisconsin deer, when I lived in the upper Midwest...
Yeah, from an 06, but a 308 will do the exact same job...at North Woods distances...

that much sectional density will bulldoze itself thru quite a bit of animal anatomy.
Never really needed a tracking job with the 220 RN.. Hornady or Sierra.

The Nosler is just a lot more of a good thing....

Congrats on the Moose and as Flintlocke said "Good Post"!
I have often wondered why Hodgdon has been so very cautious about expanding their reloading data to a wider array of cartridges with LeveR. I have cautiously tried it in several cartridges unlisted in Hodgdon data...it seems to fall pretty close to H380 on burn rate...and I haven't experienced any unpleasant surprises. It absolutely blew me away with accuracy and velocity in the 7.62x54R (tested in a scoped 39 Finn). In the rural west, we don't get the latest wonder powders, more like I wonder where they are, but LeveRevolution was one that showed up out here and powder is powder in these times. For those rare few riflemen who are fond of the 8x57, give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.
So, the 30-06 has a lot more recoil but no more power???
Thanks for sharing your research Mainer. A load like that makes alot of sense down here in southeast. I've been shooting 200s at 2350 in the little Kimber, but may have to dip into my supply of 220s now. Does your Ruger have a 22" barrel?
Bugger,
No; not quite the message. The MSG is that LVR powder and a 220 in the 308 is a terrific load as described. The '06 loading manual loads for the 220 are found up to 2600 and likely there are some powders that can beat that. I frankly don't think it matters much as both the 308 and 30-06 are terrific big game rounds and both can aptly handle the heavies.
Happy hunting!
F01
I looked at your post date and I gotta know where you are in Alaska that still has green stuff on the ground and bushes??? It's been gone in Kodiak for for 2 months already!!
Dennis,
Middle of August was when I started working up the load, then settled on 45 grains of LVR and loaded up 150 rounds of the heavies. Just now got around to posting it up.

PA, yep 22" barrel. I hope 220s work well for you. Still haven't done that roofing job down in Sitka, fella is behind on a remodel of another place.

Seafire, flintlocke, jeeper, fury,
Thanks. It's the loaner rifle for guests, sighted to 220 grainers.

Happy Thanksgving everyone
Good deal, thanks. That’ll help me plan what velocity I should look for.

Lemme know when you’re headed down, we’ll kill some stuff or go see some places.
My 1-9 twist barrel came in. Looks like new tube for the 308 . Maybe 2 weeks I'll have time. That should stabilize anything i wave to shoot
Originally Posted by Fury01
Bugger,
No; not quite the message. The MSG is that LVR powder and a 220 in the 308 is a terrific load as described. The '06 loading manual loads for the 220 are found up to 2600 and likely there are some powders that can beat that. I frankly don't think it matters much as both the 308 and 30-06 are terrific big game rounds and both can aptly handle the heavies.
Happy hunting!
F01

In an 06, a 220 grainer with H4831SC, can be pushed a lot faster that 2600... like 10% more than that speed, in the 2800 to 2850 fps, depending on barrel length....If you search the campfire archives that has been discussed several times over the years I've been on here.. which dates back to 2004. I've personally tested that fact for myself...

and have even reloaded brass with that load, 10 times and the 11th reload, the primer pocket was still tight...

and those velocities are still within SAAMI specs....
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
It's getting close to the time of year where it's a concern, so I'll just throw it out there:

You'll shoot yer eye out.

Good one!
Originally Posted by Seafire
Bugger,
Happy hunting!
F01

In an 06, a 220 grainer with H4831SC, can be pushed a lot faster that 2600... like 10% more than that speed, in the 2800 to 2850 fps, depending on barrel length....If you search the campfire archives that has been discussed several times over the years I've been on here.. which dates back to 2004. I've personally tested that fact for myself...

and have even reloaded brass with that load, 10 times and the 11th reload, the primer pocket was still tight...

Wow, that seems awfully fast for a 30-06/220 load. If such loads are within SAAMI specs, then why does published data not approach this velocity? What barrel length did you use?

and those velocities are still within SAAMI specs...

You now have the 30-06 shooting higher velocities than the 300 Weatherby? I thought your 180g velocities were entertaining….

Also, SAMMI “specs” puts the 30-06 with a 220g bullet at 2400fps. For the 308 a 200g bullet at 2440fps. SAMMI doesn’t even list the 220g for the 308.
FWIW, Quickload puts 46 grains LVR at 72k pressure at 2524 fps and 45 grains at just under 67k at 2471 fps, pretty close to the velocities you were getting.
"Also, SAMMI “specs” puts the 30-06 with a 220g bullet at 2400fps. For the 308 a 200g bullet at 2440fps. SAMMI doesn’t even list the 220g for the 308."

While you are correct on the SAMMI specs for the 30-06, remember that they're taking into consideration those old potentially weak early 1903 Springfields that may or may not be properly heat treated. If one loads the 30-06 at .270 Win. or .300 mag pressure levels, it's a totally new ball game. The last time I used a 30-06 on game was on an elk hunt a few years back. The scope on my .35 Whelen had turned toes up, like where in hell are the crosshairs? I'd thrown the 06 in as a backup but the ammo was the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond loaded close to 2900 FPS. No matter as it put a nice juicy cow elk down with one shot. Bullet not recovered. That load what not planned as an elk load but was all I had loaded up at the time. Rifle was a custom on a commercial FN action, 24" barrel 1 in 12" twist. Usually a 1 in 12" will handle 180 gr. bullets but this one absolutely will not, thus the use of the 165 gr. Nosler.
PJ
Bugger,
Happy hunting!
F01
I think this is an pretty accurate assessment. Years ago I read a book titled The Grizzly Bear whose author hunted with an Winchester HI wall he specifically had chambered in 45-100. On one hunt his partner has acquired technology that was ultra new for the time in the form of an 30-40 Krag using smokeless powder. Anyway they ended up shooting a grizzly and I can recall the guy in awe of the wound where 30-40 krag bullets hit. I'm certain these bullets would've been most likely 220gr, but I wouldn't know if they were expanding or otherwise. The 308win is built in stronger rifles than the antique Krag so I'd suspect those old timers would be quite impressed.
Originally Posted by WMR
Bugger,
Happy hunting!
F01

Wow, that seems awfully fast for a 30-06/220 load. If such loads are within SAAMI specs, then why does published data not approach this velocity? What barrel length did you use?

tested it in the five 06's I own... so 22, 24 and 26 inch barrels...

as to why doesn't published data approach that velocity... my take is that it is a compressed load and must be crimped....
the thread I worked that up on was followed by Nosler's Chief Ballistician at the time... he was the one who came on and verified that you can't get enough 4831 or SC version in an 06 to exceed SAAMI max pressure, regardless of bullet weight...

I think it was Hornady that had a load commercially that would run like 2800 fps with a 220 grain RN for a while... but myself, I'm a handloader.
and I test ammo, for both extremes, low end performance for low recoil loads, to what can be a max punch out of a cartridge..

My method of testing the upper limits, is to reload 5 rounds, ten times... and on the 11th if the primer pocket is still tight, I consider it good.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

and those velocities are still within SAAMI specs...

You now have the 30-06 shooting higher velocities than the 300 Weatherby? I thought your 180g velocities were entertaining….

Also, SAMMI “specs” puts the 30-06 with a 220g bullet at 2400fps. For the 308 a 200g bullet at 2440fps. SAMMI doesn’t even list the 220g for the 308.

Research that a little more...Nosler tested it over in Bend.. done by their chief ballistician at the time.. and he made the statement that their pressure testing equipment came up with that it was below SAAMI max pressure for an 06.. so your argument is with them, I am just passing on their assessment.

I'd ask you if you ever tried it, but I am sure the answer would be NO and like most others, you'd tell me you're too smart to try it, because some load manual tells you to stop at a certain charge weight, but I noticed when those manuals list the pressure they registered on their equipment, it was definitely below the pressure limits SAAMI puts on an 06. Hence why I worked it up beyond that and looked for pressure signs...

if the primer pocket is still tight on the 11th reload, do you think something is wrong? do you believe what a load manual tells you? or what the brass tells you? If you don't care to use those loads, then that is an individuals prerogative. but telling everyone else not to, because you won't, seems a little self centered, don't it...

all I do is share what I have found out by testing it...others can draw their own conclusions.. and no one is forcing anyone to do anything .
when I use to spend my time over on accurate reloading web site,

there was a thread with a lot of input, about how the game dept of several African countries, used 308 Winchesters loaded with 220 grain RN bullets, to control rogue elephants by putting them down with a head shot to the brain...

a load manual is not a Bible.. its just a reference... a lawyer approved reference.

I've had starting loads of one powder pop primers , yet another load from the same page could be pushed beyond their max limit by quite a bit... 10 to 15%.

but then most of my hunting is done with reduced loads anyway.. but then people criticize those loads also if they can't find them in their latest greatest load manual...
220 gr in a .308 WCF - meh. Load a 250 Barnes Original and you're onto something smirk
Research that a little more...Nosler tested it over in Bend.. done by their chief ballistician at the time.. and he made the statement that their pressure testing equipment came up with that it was below SAAMI max pressure for an 06.. so your argument is with them, I am just passing on their assessment.

I'd ask you if you ever tried it, but I am sure the answer would be NO and like most others, you'd tell me you're too smart to try it, because some load manual tells you to stop at a certain charge weight, but I noticed when those manuals list the pressure they registered on their equipment, it was definitely below the pressure limits SAAMI puts on an 06. Hence why I worked it up beyond that and looked for pressure signs...

if the primer pocket is still tight on the 11th reload, do you think something is wrong? do you believe what a load manual tells you? or what the brass tells you? If you don't care to use those loads, then that is an individuals prerogative. but telling everyone else not to, because you won't, seems a little self centered, don't it...

all I do is share what I have found out by testing it...others can draw their own conclusions.. and no one is forcing anyone to do anything .

Hodgdon lists pressures. None of them come close to your 220g velocity claims while staying less than 60k psi.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/206.pdf

Check out page 29. Plus there is a winter's reading worth of semi-useful info.

If you're arguing that SAAMI data limits 220gr bullets in the 30-06 to 2400 fps, you are missing at least half a dozen chromosomes.
Awesome thread.

Precovid I bought a yuge can of lever lotion at a store in ND at 40% off!

Can not wait to try this out!

What do you think about the 30/40 krag?
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Awesome thread.

Do you mean leverevolution powder?

I've thought about it for the Krag but darnit h4350 shoots so darn well.
Lever lotion 40% off. On sale at good vibrations you say?

If you're arguing that SAAMI data limits 220gr bullets in the 30-06 to 2400 fps, you are missing at least half a dozen chromosomes.

The guys at SAMMI don't know diddley squat, neither do the bullet and powder manufacturers with their fancy smanchy ballistics labs. It's us handloaders who have the real scoop on velocities and pressures. We always have, just ask us.

Next up, the highly accurate Case Head Expansion method vs those goofy transducer driven pressure receivers.........
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Awesome thread.

Fill the case to the brim with Lever Lotion, crimp in a 200g cast bullet and let 'er fly. 2800 fps minimum.........
Thanks

I got the gun room named The Lever Lounge

My auto spell wanted lever lotion……..

It’s all good!

Merry Christmas

The guys at SAMMI don't know diddley squat, neither do the bullet and powder manufacturers with their fancy smanchy ballistics labs. It's us handloaders who have the real scoop on velocities and pressures. We always have, just ask us.
P
Next up, the highly accurate Case Head Expansion method vs those goofy transducer driven pressure receivers.........
Apparently, you don't know what SAAMI is or does. And apparently, you've not actually looked at handloading data or factory ammo specs.

A quick glance at Nosler's load data shows R-22 producing 2600 with 220gr Partitions. Another glance at Hogdon's data using Sta-ball 6.5 shows 2523 fps at 59k psi and change.

Bbbbbuuut.....It's almost like velocity at max pressure is dependent on powder choice....derp. I can't believe I have to type these words on this forum.

Hodgdon lists pressures. None of them come close to your 220g velocity claims while staying less than 60k psi.

Nosler's Test Equipment said different, and I also trust brass being loaded 11 times with those loads, and still being tight on that 11th reload....

but if you are happy with 2400 fps with a 220 out of an 06, then I think you should stay with that...

Myself, I have no personal problem using 4831SC to push the bullet to 2800 fps or more...if that is what I think I might be needing.

Every handloader is responsible for the choices they make... you make your decisions for you and I'll make my decisions for me..

Fair enough?
Man, this sht is getting weird as fk!

I never knew that over-priced, potato-shaped bullets @ 2480 fps from a cheap budget rifle, would cause such bizarre conversation.
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I never knew that over-priced, potato-shaped bullets @ 2480 fps from a cheap budget rifle, would cause such bizarre conversation.
Wecome to the 24 Hr Campfire. GFY.
I have no doubt that a 220 grain RN in a 308 will work. Did one get 500 free from the late Uncle’s stash? What about 180 grain bullets in the 308? I’m kinda thinking they work too.

You've never had a manual say one thing and observed an opposite result? I darn sure have.. Manuals are a reference, not a bible.

I've seen and observed starting loads, pop a primer consistently in a rifle, then take another load off the same page and at max velocity the same rifle digests it just fine... I let a manual suggest me to what results will work... I let my rifle tell me what it will digest and work with... and that has NEVER steered me wrong. Blindly following a manual's One Size Fits ALL has...

We each walk our own path.. you follow yours, I'll follow mine...

Handloading involves using your head.. not someone else's.. because each rifle barrel is an entity unto itself.

well we have one member who has never pushed a load beyond what a manual has told him to...

and then someone else who has, by noting the pressure listed in manual, and it being much lower than SAAMI specs, so worked up from there to find that limit... in 5 different rifles... and EACH one gave the conclusion that a much higher charge was safe and was not only giving tight primer pockets after 10 reloads....

then it was verified by a Nosler guy from the factory, that noted the thread and posted that having tested the load on their pressure testing equipment, found that the max load found, still did not exceed SAAMI specs.. stating, you can't get enough 4831SC in an 06 case with ANY bullet weight, to exceed SAAMI specs....

but since its not in a lawyer approved load manual, it is rejected by some who think a reload manual is a Bible, and sing that tune from the highest mountain tops....not even entertaining the fact they might be wrong...

just another day at the campfire.... someone who has tested it and shared results... and argued with by someone who hasn't tested it, but just uses a manual at gospel...

to each their own....
Another great thread. Curious if you’d be open to sharing your best loads in LVR in a 308 for various bullets?
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Another great thread. Curious if you’d be open to sharing your best loads in LVR in a 308 for various bullets?

Yes, the useful content and context of this thread is super-interesting and I would also be interested in LVR 308 loads for different bullet weights as I am going to load some for this weekend to try out.
Holy sht! I'm gonna try to revive this drifted madness back to 220 grainers:

Milled up some buttery soft green spruce for testing media. Will build a 4ft stack making sure no knots.

I'll test the 308 win 220 partition against other .33 cal 225 grain bullets and against the 308 win 180 grainer.

From left to right:

308 win 180 gr partition (federal high energy factory load)

308 win 220 gr partition handload

338 rcm 225 gr partition handload

338 rcm 225 gr fusion handload

338 rcm 225 gr interbond (hornady factory load)

Will get numbers on expanded diameter and weight retention tomorrow. Will post up pictures tomorrow.

30 caliber 180 partition and 220 partition penetrated exactly the same distance: 11 inches of spruce board. Both bullets expanded nicely, in great shape.

.338 225 gr partition failed to expand and drilled right through. Very little damage to the boards. Good ole discount blem bullets!

.338 225 gr fusion penetrated about 10.5" of spruce board. Much larger diameter hole in the boards and more damage, over the .308 bullets.

And surprisingly, the .338 interbond penetrated the furthest! This bullet made it to a little over 12" of board and showed the earliest expansion in the boards. Diameter of the hole and damage to the boards was even better than the .338 fusion bullets.
I love these kind of home grown tests! The 180 penetrating the same as the 220 is interesting.
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
I love these kind of home grown tests! The 180 penetrating the same as the 220 is interesting.

Yep, definitely thicker copper jacket and higher muzzle velocity on that 180 grain partition load. That old "high energy" federal was some hot stuff.

Those 220 grain partitions have thinner copper jackets,the partition is further down and because of this, they loose more lead.

But the expanded 220 grain bullet probably still weighs more than the expanded 180 grain partition. It's slightly longer.

Agreed.. almost makes me want another.
.308 220 partition:

154.3 grains expanded to .49 caliber, 70% weight retention

.308 180 grain partition:

138.8 grains expanded to .55 caliber, 77% weight retention

.308 220 partition:

I’d have never guessed that Mainer!
Will have to dig those .338 bullets out tomorrow, they're still in the boards.

The .338 fusion bullets were $18 a box of 50, vs $100 a box of 50 220 grain .308 partitions.

Wecome to the 24 Hr Campfire. GFY.

That's how it's done.
They need to move the partition forward on that 220.
Thanks, Mainer. Good test. Not what I would have expected in several ways. Any idea why the .338 Partition penciled?
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I agree. I've never gotten any for that reason. And the 200's have nearly always been plenty of bullet. I'd buy and hunt a 220 that lost little of its weight in front core.
PA, Hunt n Shoot,

I agree. I would design the 220 grain partitions differently:

Like the swift a-frame pistol bullets, where the A-frame is higher up, the petals are thicker, but the tip has short skives.

Those A-frame pistol bullets penetrate amazingly well, and retain all their weight.

Sure is a lotta embellished bllsht out there about these 220 partitions.
.308 220 partition:

So after seeing this, does the 220 offer any real advantage over the 180 in a hunting application? Given they are both the same design? Thanks for the test.
Thanks for sharing, Mainer! Interesting stuff.
[well we have one member who has never pushed a load beyond what a manual has told him to...

and then someone else who has, by noting the pressure listed in manual, and it being much lower than SAAMI specs, so worked up from there to find that limit... in 5 different rifles... and EACH one gave the conclusion that a much higher charge was safe and was not only giving tight primer pockets after 10 reloads....

I'm rolling with you Pard, ha. Done this for a tad over 40yrs. No blowups either.
but the tip has short skives.

I bought some Gold Country .30cal 220 round nose that has a bunch of lead tip showing and the skives in the jacket. I just have to try them in an '06. I don't trust them, at this point, to stay together from a 300WM. Time will tell. I love those big heavy round nose bullets!
.308 220 partition:

Very interesting!
Mainer - Thanks for putting the time & effort into these tests!
Now that I think about it, Phil Shoemaker found the 220 partition penetrated very well on a whale carcass and he’s not found them lacking on bears. I still think they should be designed more like the .338+ partitions so they retain more shank however.
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
.308 220 partition:

So after seeing this, does the 220 offer any real advantage over the 180 in a hunting application? Given they are both the same design? Thanks for the test.

Something softer, like moose/bear, the smaller diameter expansion would certainly give better penetation. .49" expansion, dunno how long an animal would stay upright though, that not very wide.

Good bullet, but not $100 good. .338 fusion bullets did almost as good, at $18 a box. More damage too.

Just the same, the 308 loaner rifle will still stay sighted to the 150 count, 220 gr handloaded cartridges, that were 3 times more expensive than the rifle itself,ha!
Only problem I had with Nosler 220s was in compressed powder loads. In the short magazine of a Mod 70 Fwt, I had to seat them pretty deep. No LEE FCD back then. But to get any real speed ( I was shooting for 2450 or so) the compressed powder cause my seating die to deform the nose. I was afraid I had compromised the integrity of the jacket/nose. Plus, this caused them to not be as accurate, at least for me.
Mainer, I have been using the 180 grain Nosler Partition for decades in the 30 06 at around 2700 fps and while I haven't, I would have zero issue loading them in the .308. In that use case in the USA, Canada, and Africa, they performed perfectly every single time. Farthest shot was 280 yards on a Zebra and the bullet was discovered as a lump on the hide on the other side. So for me I am sold on the 180 partition design for the 30 06. I would expect more energy from the 220 grain partition and therefore more penetration. Your results are quite interesting.

This is my favourite thread here excusing the earlier BS.

I have a supply of LVR powder and am looking forward to some loads for different bullet weights with that powder.
Left to right, 220 partition and 180 partition in the board they stopped in. Please excuse the peeled-away wood on the 220 hole, I had already started to dig the bullet out.

Look down below at the lighter colored board, they even left similar dents in the next board:

Nice work Mainer.
Also glad to see you still running the RCM..that’ll hunt.
Update:
Finally dug out the 338 225 grain fusion and 225 interbond.

Numbers have changed:
.338 225 grain fusion was within 1/4" penetration of the two 30 caliber partitions.

The .338 interbond was 1/4" more penetration as well.

Wait one and I'll measure/ weigh these.338 bullets
.338 225 grain fusion:

185.1 grains expanded to .75 caliber
82% weight retention

.338 225 grain Interbond:

187 grains expanded to .66 caliber
83% weight retention

Left to Right:
.30 220 gr part, .30 180 gr part, .33 225 gr fus, .33 225 gr inter
Definitely a torture test.

I'd be curious to know how the 200 NP would stack up to the 180 and 220...
Great test Mainer.. all seem like great killers.

Brad, I’d bet that 200 would be as good as any. That thing has a lot going for it, other than price nowadays.
Mainer, I'll put some 30 caliber 200 grain Nosler Partitions in the mail to you if you would perform this exact same bad ass green spruce test using them.

I'll take this Green Spruce test over ballistic gel any day of the week.
Jeeper,,

It's 30 below zero down at river. will hold off for now. Fingers were stinging-cold, working with tools and hardware.

Brad,
Spruce is very soft, but certainly stops the bullets quick. Building with it, I have to run 3.5" framing screws or 3.5" nails in my fraining gun, 3" framing nails don't hold the wood very well

It's good stuff though, and doesn't shear off petals or damage the bullets.

Beretz,
Yep, all good bullets except those blemish 225 partitions.

Weight retention, expanded diameter and penetration, none of the partitions outdid the federal fusion, or the interbond.

I won't even bring out my 275 grain swift a-frame 338 RCM handload. It will annialate any insinuation that the 30-06 or 308 with 220's, performs like a fkn 338 or 375.

In spite of this bllsht you read on 24hr campfire, Elmer Keith already told yah it aint the case, with .333 kynoc bullets......
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
[well we have one member who has never pushed a load beyond what a manual has told him to...

I'm rolling with you Pard, ha. Done this for a tad over 40yrs. No blowups either.

I won't even bring out my 275 grain swift a-frame 338 RCM handload. It will annialate any insinuation that the 30-06 or 308 with 220's, performs like a fkn 338 or 375.

In spite of this bllsht you read on 24hr campfire, Elmer Keith already told yah it aint the case, with .333 kynoc bullets......

That's a curious couple of statements. May contain a few errors.
I've found it isn't a good idea to question others' results without good reason. There were some folks on here that questioned the velocity I was getting with my AR 15 and 77 gr SMKs. I decided to shoot it on camera and five rounds averaged exactly 1fps slower than what I claimed in the thread. Every barrel is an individual and so is the load itself.
... and every chronograph....
Anybody have 5-10 200 grain 308 swift a-frames they could spare?

I'd like to test those against 220 partitions. Can't find any.

I'll send you some .308 200 grain Swift A-Frames if you'll also test some .308 200 grain Nosler partitions I'll include.

PM me your address and I'll get them in the mail.
Excellent test and results. I'll guess the 30 cal, 200 NPT wins the penetration contest. I could send ya a few 33 cal 185 TTSX if your so inclined. I run them at 2700 in my 338 Federal. They look good shot into a clay bank.

Thanks for putting this together.
Originally Posted by bwinters
Excellent test and results. I'll guess the 30 cal, 200 NPT wins the penetration contest. I could send ya a few 33 cal 185 TTSX if your so inclined. I run them at 2700 in my 338 Federal. They look good shot into a clay bank.

I just picked up a 338 Federal and that was one of the ones I was pretty interested in trying out first Bill. I'll have to bend your ears about the Federal soon.
Jeep,
Thanks

bwinters
I'm all set, not really into sub 225 stuff in .338

Beretz,
How about a 225 gr federal in a federal?

Those things expand so dmn nicely! With the right powder,you might see better than 2550 fps.
Jeep,
Thanks

bwinters

Beretz,

Those things expand so dmn nicely! With the right powder,you might see better than 2550 fps.

That’d work fine Mainer. I haven’t even gotten the rifle yet so I was just thinking a bit for the rifle.

I was going to get a box of the Trophy Bonded Tip 200’s from Federal. At 100 bucks for a box of 20 I’ll just load my own. That’s like Safari ammo!
This is getting fun!

All bets are on the 200 grain Swift A-Frame beating them all but am super curious on how the 200 grain partition will do.

Attached picture 200 grainers.jpg
This is getting fun!

All bets are on the 200 grain Swift A-Frame beating them all but am super curious on how the 200 grain partition will do.

I’d bet a drink the PT goes deeper. But I’ll be watching to see. Both are good darned bullets.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bwinters

I just picked up a 338 Federal and that was one of the ones I was pretty interested in trying out first Bill. I'll have to bend your ears about the Federal soon.

338 Federal you say…

I’ll be pumped to hear more from both this thread and about that new rifle!
It’s a Kimber POC…. Seems like a helluva combo though.
Very nice!

I’m enjoying this thread - reminds me of the old Fire.
Very nice!

This forum seems to be the most reasonable in terms of mental retardation. Super helpful folks here all trying to better their game.
Jeep,
Thanks

bwinters

Beretz,

Would be interesting to see how the light mono's compare to the heavier cup n cores, though.

I could send some 168 ttsx's.
Really interested in how they perform at .308 win velocities compared to rhe heavies.
Very nice!

Very much this.

Okie John
When you test again, how about including the 200 grain Hot Core from the other thread? I’d be interested to see how they compare,in regards to penetration, to the others. Thanks.
Thank you Mainer!!!
Good suggestion hillbilly jake.
I’ve got some Speer 338/275 soft nose and solids off you’d like to test them in your 338rcm.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I agree. I've never gotten any for that reason. And the 200's have nearly always been plenty of bullet. I'd buy and hunt a 220 that lost little of its weight in front core.

My thought is that maybe Nosler designed it, to fit the type of velocity it would be getting, say out of a 30/06, in the 2400 fps range, as to be able to open earlier with a lower velocity, VS the average handloader loading them up in 300 Magnums, Winchester or Weatherby...

With a lot of experience in sales and marketing over my career, you aim for a target market... and in 30 caliber, the 06 would be a better target market in 30 caliber than say the 300 Mags. Yet the 200grainer is better targeted at the 300 Mag crowd, because it would be the bullet weight most folks would look for, in a faster cartridge... being a cross between the 180 Partition on one end, and the 220 on the other end...

I'll send you some .308 200 grain Swift A-Frames if you'll also test some .308 200 grain Nosler partitions I'll include.

PM me your address and I'll get them in the mail.

Mainer, did you ever get to test the 200 grainers?
Not yet,waiting on a bullet puller and some more 200 grain bullets, I'm gonna test all the 200 grain bullets from the 308 i can find.

Also just got my 308 back from the gunsmith:
Chopped to 20" and open sights installed.

Soon, very soon.....
I put a Williams shorty ramp with a Skinner front sight on my Kimber Adirondack and use a Talley peep. I'm getting 2350 with 200gr Partitions and big game. I maybe could wring out some more FPS, but life certainly has more important priorities as of late and the Nosler performs well at that velocity. That being said, I do enjoy looking for the next best thing....
Not yet,waiting on a bullet puller and some more 200 grain bullets, I'm gonna test all the 200 grain bullets from the 308 i can find.

Also just got my 308 back from the gunsmith:
Chopped to 20" and open sights installed.

Soon, very soon.....

Hoping the Hot Cor/Lever combo does well. I’ve invested heavily here recently. 😁
Will get numbers on expanded diameter and weight retention tomorrow. Will post up pictures tomorrow.

30 caliber 180 partition and 220 partition penetrated exactly the same distance: 11 inches of spruce board. Both bullets expanded nicely, in great shape.

.338 225 gr partition failed to expand and drilled right through. Very little damage to the boards. Good ole discount blem bullets!

.338 225 gr fusion penetrated about 10.5" of spruce board. Much larger diameter hole in the boards and more damage, over the .308 bullets.

And surprisingly, the .338 interbond penetrated the furthest! This bullet made it to a little over 12" of board and showed the earliest expansion in the boards. Diameter of the hole and damage to the boards was even better than the .338 fusion bullets.
Cool as soon as I start hunting boards I will know my partitions are up to the job!
© 24hourcampfire