Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
In an 06, a 220 grainer with H4831SC, can be pushed a lot faster that 2600... like 10% more than that speed, in the 2800 to 2850 fps, depending on barrel length....If you search the campfire archives that has been discussed several times over the years I've been on here.. which dates back to 2004. I've personally tested that fact for myself...

and have even reloaded brass with that load, 10 times and the 11th reload, the primer pocket was still tight...

and those velocities are still within SAAMI specs...

You now have the 30-06 shooting higher velocities than the 300 Weatherby? I thought your 180g velocities were entertaining….

Also, SAMMI “specs” puts the 30-06 with a 220g bullet at 2400fps. For the 308 a 200g bullet at 2440fps. SAMMI doesn’t even list the 220g for the 308.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, Quickload puts 46 grains LVR at 72k pressure at 2524 fps and 45 grains at just under 67k at 2471 fps, pretty close to the velocities you were getting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Also, SAMMI “specs” puts the 30-06 with a 220g bullet at 2400fps. For the 308 a 200g bullet at 2440fps. SAMMI doesn’t even list the 220g for the 308."

While you are correct on the SAMMI specs for the 30-06, remember that they're taking into consideration those old potentially weak early 1903 Springfields that may or may not be properly heat treated. If one loads the 30-06 at .270 Win. or .300 mag pressure levels, it's a totally new ball game. The last time I used a 30-06 on game was on an elk hunt a few years back. The scope on my .35 Whelen had turned toes up, like where in hell are the crosshairs? I'd thrown the 06 in as a backup but the ammo was the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond loaded close to 2900 FPS. No matter as it put a nice juicy cow elk down with one shot. Bullet not recovered. That load what not planned as an elk load but was all I had loaded up at the time. Rifle was a custom on a commercial FN action, 24" barrel 1 in 12" twist. Usually a 1 in 12" will handle 180 gr. bullets but this one absolutely will not, thus the use of the 165 gr. Nosler.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Fury01
Bugger,
No; not quite the message. The MSG is that LVR powder and a 220 in the 308 is a terrific load as described. The '06 loading manual loads for the 220 are found up to 2600 and likely there are some powders that can beat that. I frankly don't think it matters much as both the 308 and 30-06 are terrific big game rounds and both can aptly handle the heavies.
Happy hunting!
F01
I think this is an pretty accurate assessment. Years ago I read a book titled The Grizzly Bear whose author hunted with an Winchester HI wall he specifically had chambered in 45-100. On one hunt his partner has acquired technology that was ultra new for the time in the form of an 30-40 Krag using smokeless powder. Anyway they ended up shooting a grizzly and I can recall the guy in awe of the wound where 30-40 krag bullets hit. I'm certain these bullets would've been most likely 220gr, but I wouldn't know if they were expanding or otherwise. The 308win is built in stronger rifles than the antique Krag so I'd suspect those old timers would be quite impressed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Fury01
Bugger,
No; not quite the message. The MSG is that LVR powder and a 220 in the 308 is a terrific load as described. The '06 loading manual loads for the 220 are found up to 2600 and likely there are some powders that can beat that. I frankly don't think it matters much as both the 308 and 30-06 are terrific big game rounds and both can aptly handle the heavies.
Happy hunting!
F01

In an 06, a 220 grainer with H4831SC, can be pushed a lot faster that 2600... like 10% more than that speed, in the 2800 to 2850 fps, depending on barrel length....If you search the campfire archives that has been discussed several times over the years I've been on here.. which dates back to 2004. I've personally tested that fact for myself...

and have even reloaded brass with that load, 10 times and the 11th reload, the primer pocket was still tight...

and those velocities are still within SAAMI specs....

Wow, that seems awfully fast for a 30-06/220 load. If such loads are within SAAMI specs, then why does published data not approach this velocity? What barrel length did you use?

tested it in the five 06's I own... so 22, 24 and 26 inch barrels...

as to why doesn't published data approach that velocity... my take is that it is a compressed load and must be crimped....
the thread I worked that up on was followed by Nosler's Chief Ballistician at the time... he was the one who came on and verified that you can't get enough 4831 or SC version in an 06 to exceed SAAMI max pressure, regardless of bullet weight...

I think it was Hornady that had a load commercially that would run like 2800 fps with a 220 grain RN for a while... but myself, I'm a handloader.
and I test ammo, for both extremes, low end performance for low recoil loads, to what can be a max punch out of a cartridge..

My method of testing the upper limits, is to reload 5 rounds, ten times... and on the 11th if the primer pocket is still tight, I consider it good.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

and those velocities are still within SAAMI specs...

You now have the 30-06 shooting higher velocities than the 300 Weatherby? I thought your 180g velocities were entertaining….

Also, SAMMI “specs” puts the 30-06 with a 220g bullet at 2400fps. For the 308 a 200g bullet at 2440fps. SAMMI doesn’t even list the 220g for the 308.

Research that a little more...Nosler tested it over in Bend.. done by their chief ballistician at the time.. and he made the statement that their pressure testing equipment came up with that it was below SAAMI max pressure for an 06.. so your argument is with them, I am just passing on their assessment.

I'd ask you if you ever tried it, but I am sure the answer would be NO and like most others, you'd tell me you're too smart to try it, because some load manual tells you to stop at a certain charge weight, but I noticed when those manuals list the pressure they registered on their equipment, it was definitely below the pressure limits SAAMI puts on an 06. Hence why I worked it up beyond that and looked for pressure signs...

if the primer pocket is still tight on the 11th reload, do you think something is wrong? do you believe what a load manual tells you? or what the brass tells you? If you don't care to use those loads, then that is an individuals prerogative. but telling everyone else not to, because you won't, seems a little self centered, don't it...

all I do is share what I have found out by testing it...others can draw their own conclusions.. and no one is forcing anyone to do anything .

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
when I use to spend my time over on accurate reloading web site,

there was a thread with a lot of input, about how the game dept of several African countries, used 308 Winchesters loaded with 220 grain RN bullets, to control rogue elephants by putting them down with a head shot to the brain...

a load manual is not a Bible.. its just a reference... a lawyer approved reference.

I've had starting loads of one powder pop primers , yet another load from the same page could be pushed beyond their max limit by quite a bit... 10 to 15%.

but then most of my hunting is done with reduced loads anyway.. but then people criticize those loads also if they can't find them in their latest greatest load manual...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
220 gr in a .308 WCF - meh. Load a 250 Barnes Original and you're onto something smirk

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Research that a little more...Nosler tested it over in Bend.. done by their chief ballistician at the time.. and he made the statement that their pressure testing equipment came up with that it was below SAAMI max pressure for an 06.. so your argument is with them, I am just passing on their assessment.

I'd ask you if you ever tried it, but I am sure the answer would be NO and like most others, you'd tell me you're too smart to try it, because some load manual tells you to stop at a certain charge weight, but I noticed when those manuals list the pressure they registered on their equipment, it was definitely below the pressure limits SAAMI puts on an 06. Hence why I worked it up beyond that and looked for pressure signs...

if the primer pocket is still tight on the 11th reload, do you think something is wrong? do you believe what a load manual tells you? or what the brass tells you? If you don't care to use those loads, then that is an individuals prerogative. but telling everyone else not to, because you won't, seems a little self centered, don't it...

all I do is share what I have found out by testing it...others can draw their own conclusions.. and no one is forcing anyone to do anything .

Hodgdon lists pressures. None of them come close to your 220g velocity claims while staying less than 60k psi.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/206.pdf

Check out page 29. Plus there is a winter's reading worth of semi-useful info.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

If you're arguing that SAAMI data limits 220gr bullets in the 30-06 to 2400 fps, you are missing at least half a dozen chromosomes.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome thread.

Precovid I bought a yuge can of lever lotion at a store in ND at 40% off!

Can not wait to try this out!

What do you think about the 30/40 krag?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Awesome thread.

Do you mean leverevolution powder?

I've thought about it for the Krag but darnit h4350 shoots so darn well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lever lotion 40% off. On sale at good vibrations you say?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

If you're arguing that SAAMI data limits 220gr bullets in the 30-06 to 2400 fps, you are missing at least half a dozen chromosomes.

The guys at SAMMI don't know diddley squat, neither do the bullet and powder manufacturers with their fancy smanchy ballistics labs. It's us handloaders who have the real scoop on velocities and pressures. We always have, just ask us.

Next up, the highly accurate Case Head Expansion method vs those goofy transducer driven pressure receivers.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Awesome thread.

Fill the case to the brim with Lever Lotion, crimp in a 200g cast bullet and let 'er fly. 2800 fps minimum.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks

I got the gun room named The Lever Lounge

My auto spell wanted lever lotion……..

It’s all good!

Merry Christmas

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

The guys at SAMMI don't know diddley squat, neither do the bullet and powder manufacturers with their fancy smanchy ballistics labs. It's us handloaders who have the real scoop on velocities and pressures. We always have, just ask us.
P
Next up, the highly accurate Case Head Expansion method vs those goofy transducer driven pressure receivers.........
Apparently, you don't know what SAAMI is or does. And apparently, you've not actually looked at handloading data or factory ammo specs.

A quick glance at Nosler's load data shows R-22 producing 2600 with 220gr Partitions. Another glance at Hogdon's data using Sta-ball 6.5 shows 2523 fps at 59k psi and change.

Bbbbbuuut.....It's almost like velocity at max pressure is dependent on powder choice....derp. I can't believe I have to type these words on this forum.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Hodgdon lists pressures. None of them come close to your 220g velocity claims while staying less than 60k psi.

Nosler's Test Equipment said different, and I also trust brass being loaded 11 times with those loads, and still being tight on that 11th reload....

but if you are happy with 2400 fps with a 220 out of an 06, then I think you should stay with that...

Myself, I have no personal problem using 4831SC to push the bullet to 2800 fps or more...if that is what I think I might be needing.

Every handloader is responsible for the choices they make... you make your decisions for you and I'll make my decisions for me..

Fair enough?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Man, this sht is getting weird as fk!

I never knew that over-priced, potato-shaped bullets @ 2480 fps from a cheap budget rifle, would cause such bizarre conversation.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Man, this sht is getting weird as fk!

I never knew that over-priced, potato-shaped bullets @ 2480 fps from a cheap budget rifle, would cause such bizarre conversation.
Wecome to the 24 Hr Campfire. GFY.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 64 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,734
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.