Home
Posted By: Teal Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
Anyone know of a good tool to use a Magnetospeed without strapping it to the barrel? I'd think some sort of little stand to do so next to it. Probably easily built but spending 150 at Home Depot with 3-4 trips there to assemble vs simply buying something for 99.99 has little appeal to me.

Thought I'd ask if this mousetrap exists. Yes - am aware of the item that allows you to hook onto a pic rail on a chassis - not going to work as I own zero chassis.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
Do a search on here or maybe MD will respond as he modified an old front rest to do such.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
Dirtfarmer has posted pics of a similar set-up.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
This has been brought out before. There are some platforms out there home made and commercially. Do a google search.
The only reason I do not one one is the barrel strapping.
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnetospeed+stand
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by Fotis
This has been brought out before. There are some platforms out there home made and commercially. Do a google search.
The only reason I do not one one is the barrel strapping.

I've seen accuracy degrade by strapping them on the barrel. I'm sure everyone else here has seen that as well. I watched one of the new club members fight with one at the range one day and I asked why he doesn't just use a damn regular chronograph. Then he goes on to tell me that it tells him everything he needs to know to develop his loads. IE: SD'S, ES'S etc. etc. I told him I just shoot the fuggin target to find that out... To each their own.. I then asked how long he had been hand loading. His answer: "5 months"...
Exactly. Once you introduce weight or pressure to the barrel harmonics change.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
The ONLY reason to own one is for use at a public range - so you don't have to get out front to set up like with a conventional chrono with screens.

Spend the extra coin for a LabRadar.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Magnetospeed - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by Teal
Anyone know of a good tool to use a Magnetospeed without strapping it to the barrel? I'd think some sort of little stand to do so next to it. Probably easily built but spending 150 at Home Depot with 3-4 trips there to assemble vs simply buying something for 99.99 has little appeal to me.

Thought I'd ask if this mousetrap exists. Yes - am aware of the item that allows you to hook onto a pic rail on a chassis - not going to work as I own zero chassis.

Originally Posted by Swifty52
Do a search on here or maybe MD will respond as he modified an old front rest to do such.

Teal, here is a link to the thread with Mule Deer's mount referenced by Swifty52 and other suggestions and ideas:https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15014555/1/magneto-speed-mounts
© 24hourcampfire