Home
Posted By: woodson How do you anneal your brass? - 03/15/23
My reloading gear set is lacking the ability to anneal my brass. What do you guys use and or technique to anneal your brass? I’m not against spending for one of the automated machines but I am open to any creative ideas you guys have consistent success with.
Just like most people - very imprecisely, although I recognize and admit to the fact.
The El-cheap-o way. Candle, match, wet rag. As described in Gack.

A nice Saturday morning, big mug of wake up, and pile of brass.

'Aint it grand!
Gave up the candle method for DNA burner due to the soot. Still break out the torch and some drill adapter thingy when I feel like it.
Drill/socket/torch/5 Mississippi = annealed for me
I bought an ugly annealer of Amazon for about 200 clams. Works as advertised.
Candle and hot fingers
BC1000, about 500rds per hr. using a 5lb propane tank:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've been using a Woodchuck Den anneal tip on a Bernz-o-matic since '02. It's a piece of copper tubing that makes a loop at the end with perforations on the inside to create circumferential points of flame, so no need to rotate the cases. I just insert the necks of each case from below the loop right up to the shoulder, then drop them onto a damp rag when they're done (usually about 7-8 seconds). I use Tempilaq on the first couple of cases to get the timing right. Works for me. YMMV.
Set up small propane hand torch beside sink in bathroom.

Put small hand towel in sink and soak it with water.

Prepare all cases to be annealed in container handy to torch.

Ignite torch, take up case in thumb and two fingers.

Close bathroom door and turn off light.

Play cartridge SHOULDER of each case in flame with neck facing away from flame.

IMMEDIATELY drop case onto wet towel the moment the neck begins to barely glow. You do not want the necks to glow, as they will be too soft. frown

I just clean off the brass with dry paper towel or clean old rag.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ted
Ugly Annealer .. I will put some pictures up of mine and how it's set up as soon as I get somewhere with enough phone signal to do so..
This is a very good demo, and I recommend you listen to all the words too.

Regards,
Rex
Find a socket that the brass fits then light the propane torch,spin the brass in flame while watching color.

Then drop brass into a coffee can and continue.

It's easy once you get your rhythm.

I only do this for converted brass or if their is a problem with tension.
I use a simple propane torch with the pencil flame. I use my fingers for my temperature guide. I stick the brass in the flame and watch the color change while slowly twisting the brass. When I start to feel the heat on my fingers, I drop it in a metal coffee can and move to the next piece of brass. No drill and no waiting for the glow.

kwg
I've been using the candle method for quite a while now, but I think it's time to move up to the denatured alcohol lamp.
I've got an annealeez machine. It works really good on long action cartridges but the drive wheels start to melt on short action rounds. The torch has to be too close
I anneal my target rifle brass after every firing for consistency. Use an Amp annealer. It uses computer controlled induction process. I think any other way is such an in-exact sciance
1. Given a used propane tank, that many places won't fill because it is old school... know where to get around that.

2. Given a "A tree" that has multiple hook ups for attaching multiple propane items to one tank.

3. Got an old pair or two of needle nose pliers... rather heat them up than my fingers...

4. Plumbers torch... $6.00 at Grovers.. only money I really spent on the set up besides the propane I filled in the tank.. that original filled lasted me 10 to 12 years...just threw another $10 worth of propane in it a couple months ago..

5. hold case upside down in flame, count to 6 for 223 cases and to 7 or 8 for 243 cases and up..

6. most brass nowadays, anneal each reload. old method was every 4th reload.

7. decorative small bucket from Walmart to drop the brass in, I usually anneal ten to 20 pieces at a time.
Let them air cool in the bucket.. that cost me a dollar....

West Virginia hillbilly logic taught me all the above... it works and even Schtick can afford it...

Don't need a $100 to $200 solution to a 10 cent problem.
Originally Posted by kwg020
I use a simple propane torch with the pencil flame. I use my fingers for my temperature guide. I stick the brass in the flame and watch the color change while slowly twisting the brass. When I start to feel the heat on my fingers, I drop it in a metal coffee can and move to the next piece of brass. No drill and no waiting for the glow.

kwg
Exactly. Easy greasy lemon squeezy.
My fingers don't work so good, so I use a socket in a drill and count the seconds, using mississippi's. miles
I am far from an expert, and I am not trying to convince anyone to do it the way I do it. After a bunch of internet research and a little personal experience, I settled on an AGS Custom Parts Annealer 3.0 ($280), which is a flame annealer that uses two torch heads. I started off with a one-torch flame annealer, and I found that it took a long time to heat up the bigger magnum cases. Because the two-torch annealer reaches the final anneal temperature faster, less heat migrates to the case head, with the added convenience of speeding the whole process. It is easy enough to use that I anneal after every firing. My one-torch annealer is now reserved for my smaller cases such as 22-250, for which it works fine. I am not saying the AGS 3.0 is the best annealer on the market, but it is very good for my needs and budget as an accuracy-minded hunter.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Here it is in action in a darkened room:

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/202...5432-4291237505415774645--1920.mp4[/img]

AGS website:

https://agscustomparts.com/product/ags-brass-annealer-3/
I fire up the Bench Source and feed it until I'm done. Easy Pezee...

kwg

Been doing it this way since 1958 and have never seen a reason to change. Temp on fingers is about as precise as you can get. I do mine in the shop, all lights out except the torch, necks at the 3/4" blue cone, roll brass in fingers and drop into a bucket of water under the vise where I lock my torch.
Originally Posted by ldholton
Ugly Annealer .. I will put some pictures up of mine and how it's set up as soon as I get somewhere with enough phone signal to do so..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]boracay wallpaper
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]temari wallpaper

https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store1/Rifle-Brass-Annealing-Mandrels-c32941141

Gonna go with that and get a trimmer while I’m at it.
AMP
Originally Posted by devnull
AMP

That’s what I want.

kwg

Same, except I use a metal paint tray to drop them in
Originally Posted by woodson
My reloading gear set is lacking the ability to anneal my brass. What do you guys use and or technique to anneal your brass? I’m not against spending for one of the automated machines but I am open to any creative ideas you guys have consistent success with.

I use a Mike’s Reloading Bench annealer and think very highly of it. It’s a shame that he’s not going to be producing any more, but he does have a couple left.

https://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_006.htm

John
I don’t
i just do the candle method works fine for hunting brass. but i might start using the torch / drill for my bench rest brass. very good video , thanks for posting,Pete53
Drill and torch for me.
I built an amp annealer set up on a timer that anneals to the 10th of a second. When I dial in shooting for groups I can add 1/10 of a second until 500 yard groups tighten up or the proverbial fliers disapear. I've found flame annealers difficult to maintain consistency since the flame always becomes less as the tank empties and adjusting the flame to the same intensity everytime is a bit of a crapshoot

Trystan
Originally Posted by Trystan
I built an amp annealer set up on a timer that anneals to the 10th of a second. When I dial in shooting for groups I can add 1/10 of a second until 500 yard groups tighten up or the proverbial fliers disapear. I've found flame annealers difficult to maintain consistency since the flame always becomes less as the tank empties and adjusting the flame to the same intensity everytime is a bit of a crapshoot

Trystan

Invent a thermometer that reads the brass, or the tip of the flame,

You’ll be famous.

That AGS for under 300 looks interesting.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I've been using the candle method for quite a while now, but I think it's time to move up to the denatured alcohol lamp.

I created a denatured alcohol candle from a meltonian boot polish jar and a tiki wik been working well for 5 years or more. My brass does not look as good as Yukoners though. I don't reload as much as some.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]boracay wallpaper
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]temari wallpaper

What kind of setup is that on your propane tank?
rookie
I use a Giraud Annealing Machine and use Templac to get it adjusted. I never annealed until the shortages of 2007-2008. Winchesters QC got so bad that I was loosing brass to neck splits on the first firing. To the tune of 10-12%.
12mm deep drive socket, cordless drill & a blowtorch.
Lights out. Count of 6 or until there barely a glow, then dump into a bucket of water.

Cos I'm poor.
You don't need the water.
Deep socket, drill, dump cases on a welding blanket.
With the lights out using interrupted heat

© 24hourcampfire