Home
I'm looking at different powder dispensers that will throw an accurate charge (hopefully to +/- 0.1 grain or better). I was looking at a Frankfort Arsenal Intellidropper on Amazon and I was wondering how it would work with extruded powders (like IMR 4064). What other options do I have that would work with extruded powders and are other 300 bucks or so? Thank you.
I use a lyman Gen 6 and have been happy with it. Almost all of the powders I use are extruded. I double check about every 8-10 charges with a balance scale and normally both agree.
RCBS Chargemaster Link $299 most everywhere.
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I use a lyman Gen 6 and have been happy with it. Almost all of the powders I use are extruded. I double check about every 8-10 charges with a balance scale and normally both agree.
I got one too. It’s great most of the time. I’ve sent it in three times for repairs. Make sure if you buy one of these keep your sales receipt. There’s no warranty w/o a receipt.
I have been using the RCBS version. The only issue I ever experienced with erratic reading was due to static electricity. I was instructed to wipe the unit down with a Bounce clothes dryer sheet. Problem solved. No problems with extruded powder.
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I got one too. It’s great most of the time. I’ve sent it in three times for repairs. Make sure if you buy one of these keep your sales receipt. There’s no warranty w/o a receipt.

That gives me warm fuzzy feelings. You guys can keep using those POS.
I have had a Lyman DPS IIIfor years and have gotten good service from it. On two occasions (not while in use) a nearby lightning strike caused it appear dead. I was thinking that it was a goner but I thought to unplug it for a minute or so. That worked both times. If I had to buy another, I wouldn’t hesitate.

I almost always use the “auto repeat” function so after a charge is dispensed I pour it into the case and as soon as the pan is replaced the machine starts throwing the next charge. I glance into the case to check the powder level and seat the bullet. Depending on the weight of the charge it’s either done or nearly so, ready to go in another case.
IMR-4064 meters like broken sticks.

I throw 0.1-0.2 gr short on my RCBS Chargemaster, and trickle the extra 4-6 kernels.
If my Lyman throws a charge that’s a little light, I just gently tap the feed tube to drop a few kernels into the pan.
This will po a bunch of people I guess. I bought one years ago. It would not hold zero, took way to long to dispense, and was not all that accurate. It did not take me long to discover that it was no faster than using a powder drop and scale considering the time to set up, wait for dispense, and clean the thing out. I'm happily living in the dark ages with much less frustration. Sothlice.
I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle - the less complicated the better. A quality powder measure (Harrell's in my case) and an RCBS 10-10 scale (with a set of check weights to periodically test accuracy - superfluous over 30 years of use) serves my needs. The rig isn't any cheaper than a fancy-schmancy electronic rig, but it soothes my Luddite soul to know that there's little that can go wrong.
I've had 2 chargemaster, the first one the scale stopped working but it was under warranty so RCBS replaced it. The replacement they sent me work for a little over a year, just enough to be out of warranty before the dispenser stopped working. I packaged it up in it's original box, placed it on a shelve out of the way, broke out the uniflow dispenser and the balance beam scale and never looked back.
I had a Lyman DPS several years ago, it was an absolute PITA to use....erratic drops, inaccurate, and just overall worthless. Sent it back to Lyman, and avoided auto dispensers for a while. Picked up a PACT a few years ago, and it was completely opposite of the Lyman. I haven't used it in a while, but I have a lot more confidence with the PACT.
My RCBS was the original unit bought when they first came out. Its still going strong. However, it is nothing compared to my Supertrickler.
I just started messing with a Supertrickler, and it is nif-ty!

There’s still a long way to go before I am ready to come to any conclusions, but first impressions ... yowza!
Originally Posted by NVhntr
RCBS Chargemaster Link $299 most everywhere.
I’ve been very happy with mine. I’ve had a few overthrows, but still 97% less than the Hornady Lock N Load one I had. Even with all of the tricks, changes settings, the Hornady still over threw quite often.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. principle - the less complicated the better. A quality powder measure (Harrell's in my case) and an RCBS 10-10 scale (with a set of check weights to periodically test accuracy - superfluous over 30 years of use) serves my needs. The rig isn't any cheaper than a fancy-schmancy electronic rig, but it soothes my Luddite soul to know that there's little that can go wrong.

Bingo
Originally Posted by bighunter7x57
I'm looking at different powder dispensers that will throw an accurate charge (hopefully to +/- 0.1 grain or better). I was looking at a Frankfort Arsenal Intellidropper on Amazon and I was wondering how it would work with extruded powders (like IMR 4064). What other options do I have that would work with extruded powders and are other 300 bucks or so? Thank you.

Are you doing some long range target shooting?
© 24hourcampfire