Home
Posted By: Buckbandit LabRadar back in the game - 01/20/24
Yep LabRadar LX. Looks a lot like the Garmin.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by Buckbandit
Yep LabRadar LX. Looks a lot like the Garmin.

Link to it? Don't see it on their page?
I didn’t see it on labs radar site either. Comes out this week for price of $599.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/20/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Should add that the scuttle on the app it uses is that there is also a firmware update to the older models allowing it to use the same app.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
Pretty interesting.
Posted By: BadHabit Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
Has anybody on here fondled one yet?
Can you replace the batteries in it?
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
glad to hear it... i hope competition leads to better products & lower prices...
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Can you replace the batteries in it?
And that's what I want to know too. If you can't, I'm not buying. That's why I'm not buying the Garmin.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
The Garmin will run off a battery block plugged into the charging port. I’m as anal about stuff like this as anyone, but I can’t recall the last device that had a battery crap. I strongly suspect Garmin will service their unit if it comes to that.

Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy the convenience of the Garmin and worry about something else.

The new LR looks good. Didn’t take them long to shoot back…..
I’ve had several rechargeable lithium battery devices quit on me. Not to mention tool batteries.

Also as I mentioned in another post running a device with a dead battery via another external battery draws a LOT of power.

I don’t like the idea of an internal battery. There are lots of inexpensive, good, power packs out there that are easy to use, easy to recharge, the charge lasts a long time for a device like a chrono, and readily replaceable.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The Garmin will run off a battery block plugged into the charging port. I’m as anal about stuff like this as anyone, but I can’t recall the last device that had a battery crap. I strongly suspect Garmin will service their unit if it comes to that.

Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy the convenience of the Garmin and worry about something else.

No Pappy they wont, and if you look at the warranty the battery isnt covered, and as soon as you hook up that battery your warranty is null and void. Check item ii and vi.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
I said “service” not necessarily under warranty.

IF I used a battery block, I’d connect it with the supplied cable. Can’t imagine any way they could tell that from any other 5V source.

No plans to use that aux power unless the battery dies, and if it craps I’ll send it back for service and pay if I have to.

Meanwhile, I’ll borrow gnoahhh’s ballistic pendulum to tide me over.
Posted By: Bugger Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
I’d sure like to see someone like Mule Deer do an exhaustive side by side between the Garmin and the new Labradar.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
The new LR has an aiming port on top of the unit. That would lead me to believe the unit is much more picky about "aiming" the beam down range. The Garmin is not picky at all. LR probably got tired of Garmin kicking their asss.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24

Agree on all counts.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
The use of a power bank is not going to void any warranty.
This should be interesting
Posted By: rockdoc Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/21/24
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’d sure like to see someone like Mule Deer do an exhaustive side by side between the Garmin and the new Labradar.

Me too.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/22/24
It should be fairly easy for a couple of guys to get together with their units(!) and do a side by side. JB’s trying to retire…..
Posted By: beretzs Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/22/24
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The new LR has an aiming port on top of the unit. That would lead me to believe the unit is much more picky about "aiming" the beam down range. The Garmin is not picky at all. LR probably got tired of Garmin kicking their asss.

Man, it is so nice, toss it on the bench or ground, generally pointed down range and shoot.. They nailed it.

This battery thing is kinda a non issue. How many of you have ever had to replace a battery in a cell phone or other similar item. It ain't going to be that difficult and chances are you may have to pay a fee and it'll be done. One thing to note, run the batteries down before charging. It exercises the battery. If you constantly charge it, they develop a memory.
Posted By: Deans Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/23/24
This battery thing is kinda a non issue. How many of you have ever had to replace a battery in a cell phone or other similar item. It ain't going to be that difficult and chances are you may have to pay a fee and it'll be done. One thing to note, run the batteries down before charging. It exercises the battery. If you constantly charge it, they develop a memory.[/quote]

The battery is lithium-ion and it is my understanding it is best not run it down just keep it charged. Lithium-ion does not develop memory like older batteries.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by Deans
This battery thing is kinda a non issue. How many of you have ever had to replace a battery in a cell phone or other similar item. It ain't going to be that difficult and chances are you may have to pay a fee and it'll be done. One thing to note, run the batteries down before charging. It exercises the battery. If you constantly charge it, they develop a memory.

The battery is lithium-ion and it is my understanding it is best not run it down just keep it charged. Lithium-ion does not develop memory like older batteries.[/quote]
Please run this issue to ground guys. Sounds like some disagreement here and the "correct" answer is pretty important for the user of the product to know, as the two procedures recommended here are pretty much opposite each other.

Thanks to all who engage in the discussion.
Rex
Posted By: beretzs Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by Deans

The battery is lithium-ion and it is my understanding it is best not run it down just keep it charged. Lithium-ion does not develop memory like older batteries.[/quote]

We use alot of Lithium Ion's for our work and any battery will develop memory. Lead Acid will do it faster but Li-Ion will as well. Our practice is to use the batteries fully then recharge them in order to maintain their life. The great part about Li-Ions is their ability to provide power (voltage) from full to almost out whereas a lead acid will have about 70% of its usable capacity when new and never gets any better.

I still don't think charging/using them in either method will hurt them for a very long time. It doesn't seem to be a big power hog. Last trip on the range it was 15 degree and I was out shooting for 3 hours or so and from a full charge the units battery life barely came off full. I was pretty impressed by that.
Posted By: pete53 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/23/24
well guys keep using these units and letting us know more if you can .Thank you ,Pete53
Lithium batteries can go bad prematurely. It’s not uncommon. The cordless tool manufacturers probably have more experience with lithium batteries under tough conditions than any other industry out there. Once in a while a battery will go bad prematurely.

I’d still be using my iPhone 8 if it wasn’t for the battery becoming weak. I’d much rather not spent the $950 on a new phone—that money would’ve bought a lot of smokeless powder……

The Doppler radar chrono’s don’t seem to use a lot of power. I have a 10,500 mAh Iniu battery pack (that replaced a 10,000 mAh Anker battery after it died less than two years after I bought it) that runs my LR. I leave my LR on the entire time I’m at the range and record any shot send down range to the 100 or 200 yd targets. After 5 hours I still have 75% charge on the battery pack.

Not to mention I’m sure a chunk of the cost of a internal battery in these new units adds a lot more to the cost of the unit, when an external battery source would be less expensive and easy to replace.

I've had batteries crap out in several phone, and my laptop going on its 3rd.
Posted By: Popap Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/24/24
OOOOOH CHYT......LabRadar said "HOLD ya horses" lol!
Posted By: pete53 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Popap
OOOOOH CHYT......LabRadar said "HOLD ya horses" lol!

>i pulled back on the reins ! now what ???

i also have had batteries crap out on phones the last phone pissed me off so much i had grandson shoot that phone with his 257 Roberts at 100 yards !
With the few drawbacks it has,, I think I'll stick with my old LabRadar or my old Chorny's.

Posted By: TRexF16 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/26/24
Mine shipped today. Will report anything of note.
Rex
Posted By: Hudge Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/26/24
Looks like Caldwell has a new one out that gives the bullets down range BC. $499 is what I saw.
^^^
Yep. Rolled out at Shot show, and will be available in a few months.
Posted By: Torque Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Hudge
Looks like Caldwell has a new one out that gives the bullets down range BC. $499 is what I saw.

The FX True Ballistics Chrono does the BC calculations also, but it is much more expensive. I have one, and it is a great chronograph. Super easy to use.
Posted By: Hudge Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Torque
Originally Posted by Hudge

The FX True Ballistics Chrono does the BC calculations also, but it is much more expensive. I have one, and it is a great chronograph. Super easy to use.

I’ll stick with my Garmin, I can put that thing in my pocket.
For those who may not see Rick Bin's post with some answers straight from the horse's mouth.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...different-take-on-the-labradar-lx#UNREAD
Any Garmins for sale for $300 yet? whistle
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/27/24
You can buy a cheap aiming point and clip it right on top of the current Labradar i believe i got mine off of ebay, I also have a remote battery that clips onto the side using the USB port the battery lasts forever. I have zero issues with my current Labrador i see no reason to spend 600.00 on another
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/27/24
3. What’s with the sight on top. Is the field narrow?

No, we used to have a 4 by 4 degree beam opening, now we have a 32 x 16 beam opening, so you don’t need the sight at all. We just put it there because some customers are used to it and like to have it. Just put the unit on the table, point it downrange shoot within 12-18 inches, and it will pick up all your shots.

The old units narrow beam allowed for velocity readings out to 100 yards or maybe a bit more with some calibers. That can still be useful for rimfire and air rifle applications. This new unit’s more forgiving wider beam allows for readings out to 25 yards, and also, allows users to pick more than one point (multiple readings) x say at muzzle and at. 25 yards.
Posted By: Bugger Re: LabRadar back in the game - 01/27/24
Among the things I like about this is being able to determine BC. It should come in handy with cast bullets and custom molds. I’m guessing that I’ll have a new chronograph some time this year.

When the speed gun 8 came out, I tested it and we got the Rapid City police to accept it. The acceptance beam on that was 45 degrees if I remember right. I think that cops thought that they were picking up the vehicle they were pointing at, though it could have been a vehicle with in that 45 degree beam.

Makes me wonder if the next-shooter-over’s bullets might be picked up and if that would be an issue.
Originally Posted by Bugger
Among the things I like about this is being able to determine BC. It should come in handy with cast bullets and custom molds. I’m guessing that I’ll have a new chronograph some time this year.

When the speed gun 8 came out, I tested it and we got the Rapid City police to accept it. The acceptance beam on that was 45 degrees if I remember right. I think that cops thought that they were picking up the vehicle they were pointing at, though it could have been a vehicle with in that 45 degree beam.

Makes me wonder if the next-shooter-over’s bullets might be picked up and if that would be an issue.

The new LRLX reads bullets out to 25 yds. The old LRV1 reads bullets out to around 65 yds or more. When determining BC the longer range of the LRV1 hypothetically would be more accurate at determining BC.
Now if they could just get the price down!
Originally Posted by martentrapper
My cynical thought process says the price on either of these won't come down, but more capabilities may be added for the same price. Then again, nothing stays the same or goes down in price it seems.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by martentrapper
My cynical thought process says the price on either of these won't come down, but more capabilities may be added for the same price. Then again, nothing stays the same or goes down in price it seems.

Garmin is notorious for holding a stiff line on prices with their dealer agreements. I don’t see the price going down unless Infinition starts blowing their doors off.

Of course, the eBay sellers can be pretty good at workarounds……😁

Infinition primarily sells to commercial and government entities, so retail isn’t their primary gig. The jury is still out on how they will deal with competition.

The LRV1 is now $400? And contrary to the breathless reports of the Xero first adopters, the LRV1 works very well.
Is one of the eBay workarounds the lack of a warranty?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Is one of the eBay workarounds the lack of a warranty?

Sometimes it is!….lol….
Sometimes I suspect the eBay goods walk out the back door of the Chinese factory.
The LR’s are assembled in Canada, and not likely to be happening with the LR’s.

Some eBay sellers are “dealer authorized” though.
Posted By: Seafire Re: LabRadar back in the game - 02/04/24
Originally Posted by sherm_61
You can buy a cheap aiming point and clip it right on top of the current Labradar i believe i got mine off of ebay, I also have a remote battery that clips onto the side using the USB port the battery lasts forever. I have zero issues with my current Labrador i see no reason to spend 600.00 on another

Sherm,

hate to say this, but I had the exact same thoughts until today.

Today I saw the new Garmin in action. A fellow shooter bought his like 4 weeks ago.

It wasn't much bigger than my Flip Cell Phone....and his come with a small tripod, with legs like 2 inches long.

He just puts in on one side or the other from his barrel muzzle, and turns it on... and that is about it.

Watching he use it for about 2 minutes, and I'm sold.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: LabRadar back in the game - 02/04/24
Originally Posted by Seafire

Changes all the rules when it is no longer just hearsay doesn't it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LabRadar back in the game - 02/04/24
Originally Posted by JSTUART

You aren’t kidding. Nice when stuff works like it’s supposed to.
I think it's somewhat comical how people react to new products these days. When the new Garmin came out guys started dumping their Labradars for three or four hundred bucks almost immediately as though they are too inconvenient and ungainly to use on the bench anymore. I waited several years to get a Labradar, but bought mine a just a bit too soon and paid close to full price, IIRC. Whatever.

I think back to the middle 70s when microwave ovens were a new thing. The first time I used one was at the snack bar (in Navy speak, it's "the gedunk") in the building where my "A" School was at NAS Memphis. I bought a frozen or refrigerated chili dog and stuck it in that newfangled contraption, and had a nice hot snack about a minute later. I thought that was pretty cool. It wasn't very long at all before I'd find myself standing on front of the microwave oven tapping my foot and murmuring "come on, you pokey-assed sunovabitch, get done already!"

We humans are funny critters.
Posted By: Seafire Re: LabRadar back in the game - 02/05/24
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Amen to that. I have a new Labradar, still new in the box... I haven't used it yet, because I haven't had time to go thru it all. And I've had it at least 6 to 8 months....

I am still going to pick up the Garmin....I'll either keep them both or let one go...

ON the flip side, I've been using an old Shooting Chrony for like forever. Its done everything I've wanted it to do..
I've had it so long, the price I originally paid for it was $69, and then $25 to $30 for a camera tripod to mount in on at the range.
Posted By: RayF Re: LabRadar back in the game - 02/05/24
Got the Garmin. Its a game changer. No regrets, although, if I were in the market today, I’d wait for a 3-way shootout with the LR and the Caldwell. Just makes sense.
© 24hourcampfire