Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The new LR has an aiming port on top of the unit. That would lead me to believe the unit is much more picky about "aiming" the beam down range. The Garmin is not picky at all. LR probably got tired of Garmin kicking their asss.
You can buy a cheap aiming point and clip it right on top of the current Labradar i believe i got mine off of ebay, I also have a remote battery that clips onto the side using the USB port the battery lasts forever. I have zero issues with my current Labrador i see no reason to spend 600.00 on another

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3. What’s with the sight on top. Is the field narrow?

No, we used to have a 4 by 4 degree beam opening, now we have a 32 x 16 beam opening, so you don’t need the sight at all. We just put it there because some customers are used to it and like to have it. Just put the unit on the table, point it downrange shoot within 12-18 inches, and it will pick up all your shots.

The old units narrow beam allowed for velocity readings out to 100 yards or maybe a bit more with some calibers. That can still be useful for rimfire and air rifle applications. This new unit’s more forgiving wider beam allows for readings out to 25 yards, and also, allows users to pick more than one point (multiple readings) x say at muzzle and at. 25 yards.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Among the things I like about this is being able to determine BC. It should come in handy with cast bullets and custom molds. I’m guessing that I’ll have a new chronograph some time this year.

When the speed gun 8 came out, I tested it and we got the Rapid City police to accept it. The acceptance beam on that was 45 degrees if I remember right. I think that cops thought that they were picking up the vehicle they were pointing at, though it could have been a vehicle with in that 45 degree beam.

Makes me wonder if the next-shooter-over’s bullets might be picked up and if that would be an issue.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
Among the things I like about this is being able to determine BC. It should come in handy with cast bullets and custom molds. I’m guessing that I’ll have a new chronograph some time this year.

When the speed gun 8 came out, I tested it and we got the Rapid City police to accept it. The acceptance beam on that was 45 degrees if I remember right. I think that cops thought that they were picking up the vehicle they were pointing at, though it could have been a vehicle with in that 45 degree beam.

Makes me wonder if the next-shooter-over’s bullets might be picked up and if that would be an issue.

The new LRLX reads bullets out to 25 yds. The old LRV1 reads bullets out to around 65 yds or more. When determining BC the longer range of the LRV1 hypothetically would be more accurate at determining BC.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now if they could just get the price down!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by martentrapper
My cynical thought process says the price on either of these won't come down, but more capabilities may be added for the same price. Then again, nothing stays the same or goes down in price it seems.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by martentrapper
My cynical thought process says the price on either of these won't come down, but more capabilities may be added for the same price. Then again, nothing stays the same or goes down in price it seems.

Garmin is notorious for holding a stiff line on prices with their dealer agreements. I don’t see the price going down unless Infinition starts blowing their doors off.

Of course, the eBay sellers can be pretty good at workarounds……😁

Infinition primarily sells to commercial and government entities, so retail isn’t their primary gig. The jury is still out on how they will deal with competition.

The LRV1 is now $400? And contrary to the breathless reports of the Xero first adopters, the LRV1 works very well.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is one of the eBay workarounds the lack of a warranty?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Is one of the eBay workarounds the lack of a warranty?

Sometimes it is!….lol….
Sometimes I suspect the eBay goods walk out the back door of the Chinese factory.
The LR’s are assembled in Canada, and not likely to be happening with the LR’s.

Some eBay sellers are “dealer authorized” though.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The new LR has an aiming port on top of the unit. That would lead me to believe the unit is much more picky about "aiming" the beam down range. The Garmin is not picky at all. LR probably got tired of Garmin kicking their asss.
You can buy a cheap aiming point and clip it right on top of the current Labradar i believe i got mine off of ebay, I also have a remote battery that clips onto the side using the USB port the battery lasts forever. I have zero issues with my current Labrador i see no reason to spend 600.00 on another

Sherm,

hate to say this, but I had the exact same thoughts until today.

Today I saw the new Garmin in action. A fellow shooter bought his like 4 weeks ago.

It wasn't much bigger than my Flip Cell Phone....and his come with a small tripod, with legs like 2 inches long.

He just puts in on one side or the other from his barrel muzzle, and turns it on... and that is about it.

Watching he use it for about 2 minutes, and I'm sold.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

Changes all the rules when it is no longer just hearsay doesn't it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART

You aren’t kidding. Nice when stuff works like it’s supposed to.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's somewhat comical how people react to new products these days. When the new Garmin came out guys started dumping their Labradars for three or four hundred bucks almost immediately as though they are too inconvenient and ungainly to use on the bench anymore. I waited several years to get a Labradar, but bought mine a just a bit too soon and paid close to full price, IIRC. Whatever.

I think back to the middle 70s when microwave ovens were a new thing. The first time I used one was at the snack bar (in Navy speak, it's "the gedunk") in the building where my "A" School was at NAS Memphis. I bought a frozen or refrigerated chili dog and stuck it in that newfangled contraption, and had a nice hot snack about a minute later. I thought that was pretty cool. It wasn't very long at all before I'd find myself standing on front of the microwave oven tapping my foot and murmuring "come on, you pokey-assed sunovabitch, get done already!"

We humans are funny critters.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Amen to that. I have a new Labradar, still new in the box... I haven't used it yet, because I haven't had time to go thru it all. And I've had it at least 6 to 8 months....

I am still going to pick up the Garmin....I'll either keep them both or let one go...

ON the flip side, I've been using an old Shooting Chrony for like forever. Its done everything I've wanted it to do..
I've had it so long, the price I originally paid for it was $69, and then $25 to $30 for a camera tripod to mount in on at the range.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got the Garmin. Its a game changer. No regrets, although, if I were in the market today, I’d wait for a 3-way shootout with the LR and the Caldwell. Just makes sense.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.