Home
Posted By: Pdubya76 Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
I’m looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced chronograph. I shoot a decent amount but just want something that I can use for initial load data. The guns I’ll be testing are hunting rifles.
Posted By: Elkbelch Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
I have the basic Magnetospeed and it does everything I want and easy to use. Only problem is you really can't test for accuracy while using it because it mounts on the barrel. If I had it to do over I would buy another. If you are working up loads it's a bit of a pain but in aint $500 either. I think I gave around $160. The ones on stand are OK I guess, never used one.

Shawn
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
Originally Posted by Pdubya76
I’m looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced chronograph. I shoot a decent amount but just want something that I can use for initial load data. The guns I’ll be testing are hunting rifles.

Advise

when you get it

Do not loan it out !
Posted By: Feral_American Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
My son and I just bought a Garmin....because we had....well....a teeny bit of an issue with the MagnetoSpeed V3.

Kinda glad because I have some handgun workup I would like to do and the MagnetoSpeed can't do any of that short barrel semi auto stuff.

Looking forward to finding out this weekend that everybody has been right about the Garmin.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
The Garmin is the real deal. Small, light and works very well. Kinda pricey but awesome machine
Posted By: Fotis Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438152?pid=988434
Posted By: Hipshoot Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
Used ones are all over the place----CHEAP! Due to Garmin coming out with theirs. Pick and choose---CHEAP!!!
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Need a chronograph - 03/15/24
They all have there draw backs & good sides. If you like to shoot the small stuff like 17 or 20 Caliber the radar units may not be for you. If you want to test for accuracy & velocity at the same time the magneto speed may be lacking. then if you wish to shoot with low light the optical units may be compermised.

competition is making prices a bit more attractive. only you can decide. Good to see you are doing your research.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
I have a Labradar and really like it never drops a shot but like Hunterapp said it will not pick up 17 and 20 cal.
I bought a 3D printed aiming that clips to the top makes it simple to line up with a target. The remote battery pack lasts forever.
Posted By: Pdubya76 Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
They all have there draw backs & good sides. If you like to shoot the small stuff like 17 or 20 Caliber the radar units may not be for you. If you want to test for accuracy & velocity at the same time the magneto speed may be lacking. then if you wish to shoot with low light the optical units may be compermised.

competition is making prices a bit more attractive. only you can decide. Good to see you are doing your research.

Good to know. My son has a 204 Ruger that I have all the components for.
Thank you all for the advice. It’s much appreciated.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
I just got a Garmin and retired my Oehler after nearly 40 years. Amortizing the $600 I paid for the Oehler over that time it cost me about $15/year to have accurate data. Quality and accuracy don't come cheap but are worth it in the long run.
If you were closer I would give you the Oehler. Good luck with your search.
Posted By: rabst Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
Another vote here for the entry level Magnetospeed for basic load development on a hunting rifle.

Sure, I'd love to own a new Garmin. But, if cost is a an important factor in your decision, the Magnetospeed is a pretty good option.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
The basic magnetospeed works for the basic stuff, entry level unit at a entry level price,

Bought the Garmin and sold the Mag,

The Garmin now does everything I need it to do, which means the magneto was actually the expensive one .

Buy once cry once.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
Hint............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Hudge Re: Need a chronograph - 03/16/24
Get the Garmin and don’t look back. Too easy!
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Need a chronograph - 03/17/24
I have a Shooting Chrony, one of the lower end units with less features. It is the third Shooting Chrony I have owned and have had it well over 30 years. I think it is either the Alpha or Beta it is Green. You have to buy a remote button to look at data, which I have. The remote button is very handy (and necessary). It works very well except in bright sunlight.

I had an older, original, red colored Shooting Chrony that that the card board sky screens. It showed way more errors than recorded shots!

Then I bought a Blue colored Shooting Chrony that had tones of features. It was so complicated to just test some velocity of loads. I traded it even up for the one I have currently. I do not miss it one bit.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Need a chronograph - 03/17/24

What is it that you really need? Just something to tell you your velocities? I see a lot of guys thinking they need the ones that give you all kinds of data. I just need one to tell me the velocity. Others mileage may vary greatly.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I probably have the oldest chronograph here, but it works, it was cheap, and it tells me everything I need or want to know.
Posted By: Pdubya76 Re: Need a chronograph - 03/17/24
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What is it that you really need? Just something to tell you your velocities? I see a lot of guys thinking they need the ones that give you all kinds of data. I just need one to tell me the velocity. Others mileage may vary greatly.

I probably have the oldest chronograph here, but it works, it was cheap, and it tells me everything I need or want to know.

Yeah…pretty much just want to see MV. At least have a little info on what they are actually doing. I shoot for real world data but some numbers would be nice .
Posted By: CaveTrout Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
The new Garmin is fantastic. I have used many different chronograghs over the decades.
They all worked…..but…… they all had issues.
The Garmin checks all boxes. You get exactly what you paid for. Works for suppressed guns too.
Good luck to you Sir……
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I just got a Garmin and retired my Oehler after nearly 40 years. Amortizing the $600 I paid for the Oehler over that time it cost me about $15/year to have accurate data. Quality and accuracy don't come cheap but are worth it in the long run.
If you were closer I would give you the Oehler. Good luck with your search.

I've still got an Oehler 35P that I bought in the 90s that I keep for a back-up. The printer finally wore out and they replaced wit for the cost of labor. It's a tank that just keeps going.

It's just a little bit of a PITA to set up due to how my bench sits on my range:

A couple years ago I bought a LabRadar and won't look back. It's just so easy to set up that I can get MVs for varying temps while practicing.

IF/When it craps out I'll probably try the Garmin.
Posted By: okie john Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
You have to shoot at least 10 shots to get a clear idea of the average speed of a given load, and the more you shoot, the more accurate your idea will be. That's prohibitive for load development.

I've used the older-type versions from PACT and a couple of MagnetoSpeeds. The PACT-style units take while to set up and don't always work well on cloudy days. The MagnetoSpeed attaches to the barrel, which throws your POI, so you can't test for accuracy and speed at the same time.

I'm getting a Garmin so I can test for accuracy and velocity at the same time. I'm really interested to see what 100- and 200-shot averages look like with a couple of loads.

Okie John
Posted By: CaveTrout Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
Agree 100% with Okie John……..
My Pact skyscreen chronos were great……
Until the wind came up….. or if the sun was low in the sky…….. or the clouds rolled in….. (which sometimes helped!)
If you buy a skyscreen model, set it up as far from the muzzle as the cords allow. Muzzle blast has a negative effect on ES/SD. Too close and both numbers are skewed.
The Garmin is so easy and always works. I take everytime i go to the range. It has never once failed to record a shot. It is a significant improvement indeed.
I set up both the Lab Radar and the Garmin to compare……… velocities were within 5 fps of each other. A huge thing for me was the Garmin picks up shots from suppressed rifles. The Lab Radar did not.
FWIW: the Garmin is the way to go.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by okie john
You have to shoot at least 10 shots to get a clear idea of the average speed of a given load, and the more you shoot, the more accurate your idea will be. That's prohibitive for load development.

I've used the older-type versions from PACT and a couple of MagnetoSpeeds. The PACT-style units take while to set up and don't always work well on cloudy days. The MagnetoSpeed attaches to the barrel, which throws your POI, so you can't test for accuracy and speed at the same time.

I'm getting a Garmin so I can test for accuracy and velocity at the same time. I'm really interested to see what 100- and 200-shot averages look like with a couple of loads.

Okie John

How are you going to handle the temp changes??
Posted By: okie john Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

Okie John

I'll probably make notes and study how the changes correlate with the data, then ask a lot of questions on the 'fire. Fortunately, temperature swings here aren't very big and we rarely reach the extreme ends of the scale. Hunting seasons rarely get below freezing and summers rarely get above 90F.

Okie John
Posted By: Bugger Re: Need a chronograph - 03/20/24
Buy my fully functional magnetospeed so I have an excuse to buy a Garmin.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Need a chronograph - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

Okie John

I'll probably make notes and study how the changes correlate with the data, then ask a lot of questions on the 'fire. Fortunately, temperature swings here aren't very big and we rarely reach the extreme ends of the scale. Hunting seasons rarely get below freezing and summers rarely get above 90F.

Okie John

Cool, I'd be interested in seeing your results.

I make it a practice to get multiple chrono sets at different temps to upload into my ballistic software. Normally I just go for 10 shot strings, or for however many shots I'm practicing for. I've got some loads for a couple of my precision rigs that might have that many rounds total, but all were purposely shot at different temps.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Need a chronograph - 03/21/24
If you get a Garmin, please pay attention to the owners manual about operating it below 15F, they aren’t joking. I used it at 20F and it ate up the battery quickly. I went out last Friday and we used it in 37F temps for more than 4 hours and it only used 23% of the battery charge. When I used it at 20F it was for less than 2 hours and used over 30% of the battery life. I’m in no way complaining, as I know how batteries and cold temps do together. The older I get, the less I like to shoot in temps below 25F or so.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Need a chronograph - 03/21/24
If you can swing it, just buy the Garmin or the nearly-here new Labradar compact. No muss, no fuss, no futzing around with homemade stands for the MS, no bullet holes in your electronics, and no annoying other shooters with setting one up.

You really only need one kidney you know………..
Posted By: JD45 Re: Need a chronograph - 03/21/24
I really like the Pro Chrono. They work great and are really durable. Price stayed at $99 for years. Pay a few dollars more and you can get one with all the latest wireless features.
Posted By: centershot Re: Need a chronograph - 04/03/24
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
The Garmin is the real deal. Small, light and works very well. Kinda pricey but awesome machine

Get one of these. Spend a little extra now and save in the long run.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Need a chronograph - 04/03/24
Ya know, looking at what you'd pay for some of Gamin's GPS units, I bet Garmin could sell their chronograph for $125 and make money. However since Lab Radar can get people to pay $600 for theirs, Garmin has proven it can charge $600 and sell them ALL DAY LONG.

Nice and simple, and convenient. I'll pick up one soon.

At least the high cost, is slowing down everyone buying one. IF they sold them for $125.00 I bet they'd be back ordered for the next 3 to 5 years.

so they get to $600.00 by $125.00 for the Chrony and $475 for instant availability. smile
Posted By: wkndwarrior Re: Need a chronograph - 04/03/24
I had a labradar and magnetospeed then sold them both and bought a garmin. The garmin is very simple but is a PITA to download data. I'd be willing to bet that prices will come down once the new caldwell and smaller labradar units become available. If I needed another chrono right now I think I'd take advantage of the depressed market for used labradars, if I could wait - I'd see if the caldwell technology is as good as they say it will be. Just my .02
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Need a chronograph - 04/03/24
My son bought one off amazon for a c note. Works good.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Need a chronograph - 04/03/24
Haven’t looked to see if it’s still there but there was a Labradar in the classifieds yesterday afternoon.

Not mine btw.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Need a chronograph - 04/05/24
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Used ones are all over the place----CHEAP! Due to Garmin coming out with theirs. Pick and choose---CHEAP!!!

That's the fact. Lots of very high quality chronos on the used market now because their owners bought Garmins.
If money is tight - buy one of those. If not - buy a Garmin (or be first in line for Lab Radar, et. al.'s response to the Garmin).
I wouldn't buy anything that attaches to the barrel. Regardless of its accuracy it's going to affect your groups and prevent doing velocity measurements and valid load work at the same time.

Best of luck,
Rex
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Need a chronograph - 04/05/24
Any speculation as to an availability date for the new LabRadar smaller unit and/or the new Caldwell Doppler units?
Thank you,
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Need a chronograph - 04/05/24
Originally Posted by FLPanhandle
Any speculation as to an availability date for the new LabRadar smaller unit and/or the new Caldwell Doppler units?
Thank you,
LabRadar shows an expected date on their pre-order page. They were originally expecting to ship them about now, so who knows.

https://buymylabradar.com/products/labradar-lx-new-product
Posted By: duke61 Re: Need a chronograph - 04/05/24
I had Garmin Xero for about six months now and in my experience it's the best one out there, double the price than Magneto which I have but well worth extra $300.
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Need a chronograph - 04/07/24
A question for those of you with the Garmin Xero: Is the rechargeable battery replaceable?
Thank you,
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Need a chronograph - 04/07/24
Documentation says it's not user replaceable. If it gets to that point, plug in an external battery pack.
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Need a chronograph - 04/07/24
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Documentation says it's not user replaceable. If it gets to that point, plug in an external battery pack.

One has to ask about the average life of the battery - If the unit has to be returned to a designated repair point, then that brings about a 2 way shipping, labor and parts bill that could cause one to resort to cheap beer for the rest of the month. Battery life is generally shaped around recharges=usage, and to some degree, shelf life. Interesting as to why Garmin designed this unit around a non user repair? Tnx Whttail In MT for the info,
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Need a chronograph - 04/07/24
Watch the use of battery packs as Garmin is a bit picky.

This Limited Warranty does not apply to: (i) cosmetic damage, such as scratches, nicks and dents; (ii) consumable parts, such as batteries, unless product damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (iii) damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, water, flood, fire, or other acts of nature or external causes; (iv) damage caused by service performed by anyone who is not an authorized service provider of Garmin; (v) damage to a product that has been modified or altered without the written permission of Garmin, (vi) damage to a product that has been connected to power and/or data cables that are not supplied by Garmin or damage to a product that has been connected to AC adapters and cables that are not certified by UL (Underwriters Laboratories) and are not labeled as Limited Power Source (LPS).
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Need a chronograph - 04/08/24
It's always a great idea to spend time worrying, wondering, and speculating on things that may never happen. The Garmin unit plain kicks asss.
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Need a chronograph - 04/08/24
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's always a great idea to spend time worrying, wondering, and speculating on things that may never happen. The Garmin unit plain kicks asss.

Rather than worrying and wondering I had rather use the term researching, and the battery in that Garmin will die. So, it's not over something that may not happen, as it will happen and when it does die your options are limited.
If and when I spend $600 on one of these units I'll know what I'm buying and won't be worrying and wondering what I'm going to do when the battery eventually dies. I'll be 85 in July and I've lived the last thirty years with a Pact unit that still works!! So, I think I can make it another couple of months and see what improvements LabRadar adds to their new unit, if any, and see what Caldwell comes up with.
Meanwhile, I'll continue researching what's available and the Pros & Cons offered from this Forum has been a big help. Thanks to all....
Posted By: Feral_American Re: Need a chronograph - 04/08/24
People fret over a Garmin's battery life on a phone that costs twice the money and has the same potential issue........
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Need a chronograph - 04/09/24
Originally Posted by FLPanhandle
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Rather than worrying and wondering I had rather use the term researching, and the battery in that Garmin will die. So, it's not over something that may not happen, as it will happen and when it does die your options are limited.
If and when I spend $600 on one of these units I'll know what I'm buying and won't be worrying and wondering what I'm going to do when the battery eventually dies. I'll be 85 in July and I've lived the last thirty years with a Pact unit that still works!! So, I think I can make it another couple of months and see what improvements LabRadar adds to their new unit, if any, and see what Caldwell comes up with.
Meanwhile, I'll continue researching what's available and the Pros & Cons offered from this Forum has been a big help. Thanks to all....

IF it eventually dies, I'll plug in a cheap battery pack and keep rockin'. Some people will still be researching I guess.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Need a chronograph - 04/10/24
That Garmin must pack a hellacious battery. I've tried to order one from three different outfits - no one will ship to my location in Alaska - PO Box or street address. Does it need a frickin' hazmat?
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Need a chronograph - 04/10/24
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
That Garmin must pack a hellacious battery. I've tried to order one from three different outfits - no one will ship to my location in Alaska - PO Box or street address. Does it need a frickin' hazmat?

Seems like it can be done.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Pdubya76 Re: Need a chronograph - 04/13/24
I purchased a ProChrono DLX here earlier this week. Looking forward to it arriving.
Thanks to all that provided helpful information. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Nail Re: Need a chronograph - 04/13/24
Grabbed the Garmin Xero a couple weeks ago and it is great. I am coming from a CED Millenium chronograph. It's like going from the stoneage to the Jetsons.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Need a chronograph - 04/13/24
I have a magnetospeed that I’d sell you pretty cheap. I’m planning on a Garmon or new Radar
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Need a chronograph - 04/13/24
Originally Posted by Nail
Grabbed the Garmin Xero a couple weeks ago and it is great. I am coming from a CED Millenium chronograph. It's like going from the stoneage to the Jetsons.
Me too. Crazy difference in the operation and set up between the two. Buy once and cry once.................
Posted By: Disseminator Re: Need a chronograph - 04/21/24
I have had a ProChrony DLX for years but recently bought the Garmin Xero.

I doubt I will ever use the DLX again as one range session with the Xero has me sold on it. I also have concerns about the non replaceable battery, and the comments on the use of battery packs is probably due to the lack of good charge control in the Xero, but I have a big battery for my GoPro that should work or any of the other USB-C batteries once the internal gets weak.

The competition will be hard pressed to match the Garmin, but a replaceable battery would be a smart addition for them.

I took my Xero to the local 50 yrd indoor range to function check a new AR10 build I did and the guy right next to me was shooting an AR15. The Xero did pick up his shots as well as mine but they were easy to identify since he was 200 FPS faster than me. I used the APP to select his shots and delete them and it was like he wasn't even there.

Keep in mind he was three feet to my left.

Works great for the 9mm and 45 pistols as well.
© 24hourcampfire