Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I’m looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced chronograph. I shoot a decent amount but just want something that I can use for initial load data. The guns I’ll be testing are hunting rifles.

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have the basic Magnetospeed and it does everything I want and easy to use. Only problem is you really can't test for accuracy while using it because it mounts on the barrel. If I had it to do over I would buy another. If you are working up loads it's a bit of a pain but in aint $500 either. I think I gave around $160. The ones on stand are OK I guess, never used one.

Shawn

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pdubya76
I’m looking for recommendations on a reasonably priced chronograph. I shoot a decent amount but just want something that I can use for initial load data. The guns I’ll be testing are hunting rifles.

Advise

when you get it

Do not loan it out !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son and I just bought a Garmin....because we had....well....a teeny bit of an issue with the MagnetoSpeed V3.

Kinda glad because I have some handgun workup I would like to do and the MagnetoSpeed can't do any of that short barrel semi auto stuff.

Looking forward to finding out this weekend that everybody has been right about the Garmin.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Garmin is the real deal. Small, light and works very well. Kinda pricey but awesome machine

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Used ones are all over the place----CHEAP! Due to Garmin coming out with theirs. Pick and choose---CHEAP!!!

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
They all have there draw backs & good sides. If you like to shoot the small stuff like 17 or 20 Caliber the radar units may not be for you. If you want to test for accuracy & velocity at the same time the magneto speed may be lacking. then if you wish to shoot with low light the optical units may be compermised.

competition is making prices a bit more attractive. only you can decide. Good to see you are doing your research.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 03/15/24.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Labradar and really like it never drops a shot but like Hunterapp said it will not pick up 17 and 20 cal.
I bought a 3D printed aiming that clips to the top makes it simple to line up with a target. The remote battery pack lasts forever.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
They all have there draw backs & good sides. If you like to shoot the small stuff like 17 or 20 Caliber the radar units may not be for you. If you want to test for accuracy & velocity at the same time the magneto speed may be lacking. then if you wish to shoot with low light the optical units may be compermised.

competition is making prices a bit more attractive. only you can decide. Good to see you are doing your research.

Good to know. My son has a 204 Ruger that I have all the components for.
Thank you all for the advice. It’s much appreciated.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a Garmin and retired my Oehler after nearly 40 years. Amortizing the $600 I paid for the Oehler over that time it cost me about $15/year to have accurate data. Quality and accuracy don't come cheap but are worth it in the long run.
If you were closer I would give you the Oehler. Good luck with your search.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Another vote here for the entry level Magnetospeed for basic load development on a hunting rifle.

Sure, I'd love to own a new Garmin. But, if cost is a an important factor in your decision, the Magnetospeed is a pretty good option.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The basic magnetospeed works for the basic stuff, entry level unit at a entry level price,

Bought the Garmin and sold the Mag,

The Garmin now does everything I need it to do, which means the magneto was actually the expensive one .

Buy once cry once.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the Garmin and don’t look back. Too easy!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Shooting Chrony, one of the lower end units with less features. It is the third Shooting Chrony I have owned and have had it well over 30 years. I think it is either the Alpha or Beta it is Green. You have to buy a remote button to look at data, which I have. The remote button is very handy (and necessary). It works very well except in bright sunlight.

I had an older, original, red colored Shooting Chrony that that the card board sky screens. It showed way more errors than recorded shots!

Then I bought a Blue colored Shooting Chrony that had tones of features. It was so complicated to just test some velocity of loads. I traded it even up for the one I have currently. I do not miss it one bit.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

What is it that you really need? Just something to tell you your velocities? I see a lot of guys thinking they need the ones that give you all kinds of data. I just need one to tell me the velocity. Others mileage may vary greatly.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I probably have the oldest chronograph here, but it works, it was cheap, and it tells me everything I need or want to know.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What is it that you really need? Just something to tell you your velocities? I see a lot of guys thinking they need the ones that give you all kinds of data. I just need one to tell me the velocity. Others mileage may vary greatly.

I probably have the oldest chronograph here, but it works, it was cheap, and it tells me everything I need or want to know.

Yeah…pretty much just want to see MV. At least have a little info on what they are actually doing. I shoot for real world data but some numbers would be nice .

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The new Garmin is fantastic. I have used many different chronograghs over the decades.
They all worked…..but…… they all had issues.
The Garmin checks all boxes. You get exactly what you paid for. Works for suppressed guns too.
Good luck to you Sir……

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I just got a Garmin and retired my Oehler after nearly 40 years. Amortizing the $600 I paid for the Oehler over that time it cost me about $15/year to have accurate data. Quality and accuracy don't come cheap but are worth it in the long run.
If you were closer I would give you the Oehler. Good luck with your search.

I've still got an Oehler 35P that I bought in the 90s that I keep for a back-up. The printer finally wore out and they replaced wit for the cost of labor. It's a tank that just keeps going.

It's just a little bit of a PITA to set up due to how my bench sits on my range:

A couple years ago I bought a LabRadar and won't look back. It's just so easy to set up that I can get MVs for varying temps while practicing.

IF/When it craps out I'll probably try the Garmin.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,697
Posts18,475,205
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.