Home
Posted By: RickBin Finally got the .375! - 09/19/00
Ladies and Gentlemen:<P>Finally, after a couple of years of searching and saving, I finally broke down and bought a .375 H&H. Save the comments about it being too big for North America ... I wanted it and I got it.<P>I chose the M70 in Synthetic/Stainless, and am planning on mounting Dave Talley's QD rings and bases, and a Leupold VXIII 1.5x6 in matte finish. Love to hear comments on these choices before I drop the bucks.<P>Also, I think I might restock it if I can find something with a bit more length of pull. I figure before I spend $125 on pillar bedding a factory Win stock, I may as well buy an aftermarket that fits better and has an integral bedding block. Anybody have any suggestions. I like H&S and MacMillan, although they seem a little pricey, and am a bit intrigued by the Hogue overstock concept. Are these latter ones heavy? Any opinions on the Hogues? I don't know too much about them?<P>Thanks for the help in advance.<P>Rick
Posted By: teacher Re: Finally got the .375! - 09/21/00
Rick:<P>Congratulations on the new rifle. I won't ask what you're planning to use it on.<P>Why not the Leupold rings and bases to go with the scope? I have always used Leupold products and found them to be outstanding.<P>Also, I don't know too much about the Hogues, but my impression is that McMillan are the best stocks out there. I'd leave the factory stock on the rifle until you can afford the best. But that's just me.<P>Let us know how it shoots!<P>Teach
Posted By: WyomingJack Re: Finally got the .375! - 10/02/00
Rick:<P>WOW, that is a BIG gun. I can't see why you'd want a thing like that for American hunting. <P>But since you got it, I think you should put the best bases and rings you can get on that sucker. I would go with the Taleys or with the Warnes. Forget the Leupolds. Teacher is crazy. They'll do allright on less powerful guns, but on a 375 you'd be crazy to go with the cheapos. The scope is a great choice though. So, why DID you buy that thang.<P>way
Posted By: RickBin Re: Finally got the .375! - 10/12/00
Call me crazy.<P>I get all caught up in reading stuff by Capstick and Ruark, pick up a few magazines with pictures of Boddington and Alaska hunts, and see a gun on one of my many visits to a gun store, and there you go.<P>Also, I plan on hunting Alaska in the next few years, and I also hunt elk outside of Yellowstone. When in grizzly country, I like to be prepared BOTH with bear spray and a bear gun. Hell, the .375 is a great elk caliber to boot.<P>Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Linked Image]<P>Rick
Posted By: jimbo Re: Finally got the .375! - 10/17/00
I would love to have a 375. I wonder why you chose the Winchester instead of the Remington (or other). Did controlled round feed have anything to do with it? I started a thread on this topic, so if you want to respond over there, that's cool.<P>Also, did you consider the .338 Ultra Mag, and if so, why didn't you buy it?<P>Jim
Posted By: Critr Gitr Re: Finally got the .375! - 10/19/00
Congratulations on your rifle. I killed my first two bull elk with a .31 Arisaka (approx same ballistics as a 30-06), and they each piled up after about a 100 yard run. Both were one-shot kills. Then about 1954 a pre-64 Model 70 in 375 H&H sort of fell into my hands. (The previous owner could not handle the recoil.) I hunted mule deer and elk with that rifle for 36 years. Same trajectory with a 270 grain bullet as a 30-06 with a 180 grain. Jack O'Conner called the 375 H&H The Queen of Rifles. Awesome caliber! I loved it! No elk ever moved over 15 steps from where I hit it, even on a lung shot. Enjoy your gun. Ignore those who have no experience with "The Queen". (And no, I cannot imagine what O'Conner would have considered the king!)
Posted By: elian Re: Finally got the .375! - 10/21/00
I've always wanted one of those things, but it seems like there is always another rifle or shotgun I need more. To be honest, everyone should probably have a good .375.<P>But now I have a question for you. If you get charges by a grizzly bear, do you go for the spary or the Winchester first?<P>I'm just asking cuz I don't think you'll have time for both, pard. [Linked Image]<P>Anyways, congratulations from me too, and check out the Swarovski ProHunter scopes. They are very expensive, but if you have the money, I hear they are real nice.<P>elian
Posted By: RickBin Re: Finally got the .375! - 11/03/00
Thanks all.<P>Elian: I'd like to think I'd go for the spray if I could. I hear it's really powerful stuff.<P>There's a new show called Jackass in which a few guys who really ARE jackasses do outrageous, stupid, dangerous things for the camera. Anyway, in one episode, a guy lets himself get stun-gunned, tasered, and pepper sprayed. The stun gun left him unconscious. As to the taser, you should have seen how much trouble it took for them to get those barbed prongs out of his skin. Yeee-ouch! I thought for sure that would take the cake, but the Jackass said that the pepper spray was the worst of the three by far. Go figure.<P>I'll tell you what, though, he ain't been hit by a .375 yet! And as a lifelong hunter and shooter, I know my first instinct if a bear is charging will be to shoulder the gun and try to break him/her down. That's just honest.<P>Truth be told, I hope I never have to shoot a charging grizz ... unless I pay for the hunt of course! [Linked Image] But that's giving myself credit for more b@!!$ than can rightfully claim as of now. Again, just being honest.<P>Thanks to all for the congrats. Still breaking in the barrel. I'll let you all know how it shoots.<P>Rick<P>
Posted By: Elkhunter Re: Finally got the .375! - 11/15/00
Rick, <BR>Thanks for sending me over. I will let you know how I like the 375 H&H. I also hunt just outside of Yellowstone and in griz country. I will not get a scope for it until next year and will also go with the VARI X III. Just can't get everything at once. This is my third since spring. Got a lever 45-70 in May and a .454 in Sept. and now the Win M70 in .375. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, I would buy you a cup of coffee.
Posted By: Rust Re: Finally got the .375! - 11/15/00
I might consider the .375 as backup to the pepper spray but not the other way around. Should you be unfortunate enough to get between a sow and cubs, don't bother with the pepper spray.<P>If you are close enough to pepper spray a bear in the first place, you have probably screwed up in a big way. If you get out in one piece, you should seriously reconsider what you have been doing. After pepper spraying a bear I would want to leave in a hurry because there will certainly be one irritated bear.<P>This could pose a serious risk to others because if a very irritated big boar grzzly happened across anyone else, the results could be most unfortunate. Pepper spray is an interesting thought, but I wonder how much field testing has been done. I can see it now, "Batch number 5 was ineffective, need new testing personnel". I wonder how many of those marketing this stuff have gone out and hosed down an attacking bear with it.<P>Kind of like the Wall Street trader that went fishing in Alaska a few years ago. When queried by his aquaintances as to what sort of bear protection he would be carrying he scoffed at the idea that a large coastal grizzly could be dangerous. Mr. outdoor expert made it to the river and there were indeed plenty of bears. Seeing an empty point that was the best fishing spot on the river, one that all the other bears were avoiding, he marched right out and started fishing. <P>Needless to say, the other bears were avoiding that point for a reason as it had been staked out by the biggest boar in the area. The bear popped out of the brush and was not impressed with the stock traders shouts or his standing his ground. The bear promptly attacked and killed the stock trader.<P>The pity is that the bear had to be destroyed because of an idiot who apparantly got his knowledge of the outdoors from watching cartoons.<P>Bears tend to not confront humans, but this should not give the false impression that they fear humans. As with any large predator, they are cautious and will not risk injury which could be fatal in the wild, unless threatened or in the case of a large boar, challenged.
Posted By: Old Timer Re: Finally got the .375! - 11/25/00
RickBin,<BR>Just a question, did you consider Burris sig series in a 1.5x6 with posilock?<BR>I have tried both under the same conditions and the Burris is brighter and clearer, pluss a little less costly.<BR>Congradulation on your 375 i traded a 340 W for my 375 Win, and prefer it over all.<BR>Old Timer
Posted By: Saeed Re: Finally got the .375! - 11/26/00
RickBin,<P>I saw a link to this page on Huntamerica, right next to ours.<P>You have picked a great cartridge. There is nothing that walks this earth that you cannot hunt with it.<P>I have hunted with many different calibers, and finally settled on a 375/404 of my own design. Now I use this one to hunt Africa every year, shooting everything from duikers to elephants with it. Never felt I needed anything bigger.<P>For those of you gentlemen who like big bores, you might like to visit our site and have a look at the Humor and Video section. We have a number of braves enjoying shooting the 577 Tyrannosaur on video. I hope you enjoy watching them.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.accuratereloading.com" TARGET=_blank>www.accuratereloading.com</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Saeed (edited November 26, 2000).]
Posted By: POP Re: Finally got the .375! - 12/02/00
Congrats on the new rifle. Great choice! There is nothing wrong with the 375 for N. American game. But then again this is coming from a 378 Wby Mag fanatic! I love big rifles. Both bull elk that I shot with the 378 traveled four feet....vertically! Your choice of scopes is truly outstanding. As far as the mounts I use Leuopold quick Detachable on he 378 but hey, I do not think there is a wrong choice. As far as the stock...McMillan all the way! Stronger stock in the world and man can they bed a rifle. I just rebuilt my 378. I had a Pac-nor ultra match stainless steel barrel installed, completely blueprinted the action, accubrake installed and fully cryoed. As we speak McMillan has the barreled action and they will pillar bed it in their McMillan Classic WBY MKV stock which will be painted battleship grey. This gun should be a one holer. Good luck.
Posted By: Finley Re: Finally got the .375! - 12/03/00
I also have this same rifle and it is by far my favorite rifle. Don't let anyone tell you it is overkill. I have used it on both hogs and deer and it does no more damage than the good ole 30-06 and if you load it down to around 2500fps w/270-300gr it will do less. My other rifles are gathering dust as this rifle will do it all! I plan on putting a set of QD rings on my scope as well. It feels great with just the open sights. Well have lots of fun. I just bought a new Marlin guide gun so I will be taking a break from the .375 for hunting pigs this winter. But I'm sure it won't be for too long!
Posted By: Critr Gitr Re: Finally got the .375! - 12/15/00
Hey, Rick. You probably saw my post about the pre-64 Win Model 70s. I loaded ammo for that 375 H&H a few years ago, and test fired it. Shot 3 shot groups under MOA. [Linked Image] And I still have the load data for it!! [Linked Image] <BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>
Posted By: swarf Re: Finally got the .375! - 12/18/00
I am about to make up a 375 Ackley with a number 5 Shilen barrel. I have been wondering if I am not going too heavy in the barrel department. I would like to hear from some of you 375 users what dimensions the factory is useing. I worked in a store where we got in a 700 Clasic in the year's caliber of 375 H&H. It had what to me looked like Remington's standard magnum barrel, and I don't think that I'd have wanted to shoot it.<BR> Anyhow, if someone out there owns a 375 and a set of calipers I'd like to hear from you. Re-inforce area, infront of the inside curve, muzzle diameter, and length. Also let me know if it isn't a straight taper.
Posted By: Critr Gitr Re: Finally got the .375! - 12/17/00
Maybe I can measure one, after Christmas ....... [Linked Image] <BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A> <BR> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1305003&a=9758335&p=32537492&Sequence=3[/img]
Posted By: stv Re: Finally got the .375! - 12/21/00
I have known 2 guys who owned 375's. One broke the front stock bolt on it when sighting in. ( get ready for a real wake up jolt). The second said his was the best shooting rifle he ever had in terms of accurracy. Different bullet weights went to nearly the same point of impact at 100yds, held tight groups and reached out to long ranges with ease. Good luck - it is not too big for coastal grizzlies in the bruch alders by the way.
Posted By: Troy Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
RickBin, your handle seems familiar. If you've heard this before ignore me. A while back I to purchased my first .375 and I've never regretted it. Mine is a stainless Model 70 Classic. I had it tuned up a bit and it now wears a Rimrock stock that has been bedded and free-floated. A Leupold 2.5-8X mounted in Leupold QD rings and bases contributes to sub-MOA all day long with its preferred loads. There's no doubting that you have some power in your hands but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying it is one of the easiest magnums to shoot. My rifle weighs about 8 1/2 lbs empty. An accurate .375 is a truly versatile piece of hardware. Good luck, Troy.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
Troy:<P>I been around a bit. Used to post on AllOutdoors back in the old days befor it got commercialized and fancy. Used to be a good crowd. Perused shooters of and on for the last couple of years, under different handle the rare times I posted.<P>Ring any bells.<P>Rick
Posted By: texas_hunter Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
Rick: great choice! I have a 375 H&H SS win-70 classic with Leupold 1.75-6 also? Great minds think alike. That sounds better then asking if you are sick and twisted like me?<P>I let E4E have it, and (you will hate this part) and I had a B&C thumhole stock with both the answer products pad and brake installed. He cleaned up the action and hand lapped the barrel etc..<P>Kicks somewhere between a 270 and 30-06. Its sooooo fun. And thats the name of the game right?<P>I am working on a matching set. I have money down on a ss win-70 30-06 with Pac Nor barrel and accurizing treatment. Trajetory is similiar to the 375 H&H. I want them to both look and feel the same. I have a Weaver grand slam scope for the 30-06 up at Pats (e4e) already, waiting to be mounted. But I am thinking about a fancy wood thumbhole for this one. Either a laminate or walnut? The way E4E can hollow out the forend and action areas, refilling with steel or plastics, you can now (with a lot of work) make a gun that will hold up to the weather and be very very stable.
Posted By: E4E Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
Rick,<BR>Great rifle,Great Chambering!!!!!!!!!<BR>Lets get you corrupted!!!<BR>First it's not too big for north america!!!!<BR>Folks with lace on their panty's think that way!Heck it's smaller than a .50cal muzzle loader,and kicks less than the .300UM for pete's sake!<BR>Next I want you to run to the local house of howitzers(Gun shop)and get the new Sierra Manual and then go to the .375H&H data.<BR>There you will find data for using the 200gr Sierra bullet for the .375 Win,in your .375H&H.<BR>Why? Because you CAN!<BR>first you can load the bullet @ 3100fps(same as a .223) for Varmints...ever see a woodchuck get hit with a 3100fps freight train?Bring a rain coat!<BR>Next you can load it down to 2100fps and you will have a venison CQB load for bambi in the woods.<BR>Next check out the Barnes offerings in the XLC line up,and if you notice the way things are layed out,you can duplicate the trajectory of an 06' with 180gr bullets all the way out to 400yds or so using several different bullets.<BR>From mouse to BUFF! The ultimate cartridge for the ultimate hunter!<BR>If ya need a longer LOP,I might be able to help ya.You have my E-mail addy somewhere.<BR>Also the Hogue overmoulded stocks are too cool! You will still want to skim the bedding block with some Decon,but they are a DROP IN and go for 90% of folks.<BR>While you are breaking the thing in,be sure to pull the striker out of the bolt and get the factory spooge lube off of it.The evil gorp just collects grit and grime,and then freezes on you at the wrong time.<BR>I'm still on stand by after selling my M70 .375,as I am looking for a LH model,and really only want the action.I'm a bit "Different" when it comes to stocks and barrels so it only makes sense.<BR>Theres a bunch of us .375,.416Rem,taylor,Rigby,.458win,Lott,Watts freaks over on the biggame page.<BR>Are you planning on visiting some place proper to use the new toy?<BR>If so lemme tell ya about Nyala...........<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>
Posted By: Troy Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
Hey Rick, I bet the Coffee Shop is where I've seen you. I had technical difficulties with them recently and have given up for a while. You'll have lots of fun with your .375. Good luck, Troy.
Posted By: texas_hunter Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
Troy: Cool to see you guys stoping by. <P>thanks <P>tex
Posted By: RickBin Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/28/01
E4E:<P>My wife sees your post, the only Nyala I'll be seein' is runnin' from the divorce lawyers!!<P>Man, the FIRST thing she said when I brought the .375 home was "Don't even THINK you're goin' to Africa before I get a Volvo Station Wagon." Since then, I noticed all my Ruark and Capstick is missing.<P>So, Alaska it is, probly next year, 'bous and bears, maybe moose.<P>In the meantime, I'm goin' with a MacMillan, I think, because LOP is an issue with that stock piece of crud Winchester stock. All the factory goo is out of the bolt assembly (first day, Dude), and if you know a nice PD town, I have some good 200 grain Sierras I'd like to introduce them to.<P>I gotta go. I got a cheap Volvo to find.<P>Rick<P>
Posted By: Mssgn Re: Finally got the .375! - 02/11/01
Rick: You did the right thing! I love my 375H&H. In fact I whacked my last two white tail with it! (you gotta love knockdown power). Yeah, it IS overkill for white tail but let me tell you, when I was sleeping in a tent in Alaska 100 miles from the nearest "town" and seeing fresh grizzly tracks in the mud, I was DARN glad to have a 375!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Africa is a far away dream for me, but when I get there I'll have my rifle. More importantly if I use it for deer and bear here, it will be natural to snap shoot on lion if I need to!
Posted By: Bwana Rick Re: Finally got the .375! - 02/12/01
Hey ,Rick.<BR>Glad to see you got a decent rifle.You know Im waiting for you on this side of the Atlantic.I wont harp on too much,I also live in fear of my wife!By the way I have the same rifle and scope combination it works.I chose the warne mounts,I dont like those levers that stay on the bases of the leupolds.Ive also seen a set come loose on a 416Rem.E4E breathed over mine for a while and "the treatment"is highly recommended.Enjoy your medium calibre!
Posted By: RickBin Re: Finally got the .375! - 02/11/01
Bwana Rick:<P>I've got a line on a couple of Volvos already! [Linked Image]<P>Rick (scrambling)
Posted By: memtb Re: Finally got the .375! - 02/12/01
Congradulations! If this is your first ( I assume so), I don't think you'll be dissapointed. If not your first, you already know!-memtb
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by swarf:<BR><B>I am about to make up a 375 Ackley with a number 5 Shilen barrel. I have been wondering if I am not going too heavy in the barrel department. I would like to hear from some of you 375 users what dimensions the factory is useing. I worked in a store where we got in a 700 Clasic in the year's caliber of 375 H&H. It had what to me looked like Remington's standard magnum barrel, and I don't think that I'd have wanted to shoot it.<BR> Anyhow, if someone out there owns a 375 and a set of calipers I'd like to hear from you. Re-inforce area, infront of the inside curve, muzzle diameter, and length. Also let me know if it isn't a straight taper.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Swarf. I had a 375 H&H Ackley Improved built a few years back and I went with a 5 1/2 contour barrel. I have no reason to beleive that a #5 contour wouldn't work just fine. As you can tell I am not into those "whippy" barrels. My barrel finished at 27 1/2" long. I put a Schmidt & Bender 1.5 to 6 X 42 scope on it because I like clear scopes that aren't eye critical. <P>Good luck, Don [Linked Image]
Rick, I am not in the travel business, but you can have a great hunt in Africa for about the same money as an Alaskan hunt, if you use any kind of discretion on your trophy selection(spelled trophy fees). You should consider it, it is an experience that everyone deserves to give themselves if they can possible afford it. Good Shooting.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Finally got the .375! - 02/21/01
IIFID:<P>The Dark Continent is in the works!!<P>By the way ... seen any good deals on Volvo station wagons around???<P> [Linked Image]<P>Rick
Posted By: Partsman Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/01/24
Still using your 375?
Posted By: wyosteve Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/01/24
I have 2 .375's and use them on pigs in Texas! Oh, and on brown bear.
Posted By: SakoAlberta Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/01/24
Originally Posted by WyomingJack
Rick:<P>WOW, that is a BIG gun. I can't see why you'd want a thing like that for American hunting.

Anyone who doesn't see why a 375 makes sense in NA, hasn't hunted much for big bears, AY moose, etc. We use 375's a lot and they are hardly too much gun (whatever that is) Recoil is very gentle making them really easy to shoot.
Posted By: memtb Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/01/24
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
Originally Posted by WyomingJack
Rick:<P>WOW, that is a BIG gun. I can't see why you'd want a thing like that for American hunting.

Anyone who doesn't see why a 375 makes sense in NA, hasn't hunted much for big bears, AY moose, etc. We use 375's a lot and they are hardly too much gun (whatever that is) Recoil is very gentle making them really easy to shoot.

QUOTE: We use 375's a lot and they are hardly too much gun (whatever that is) Recoil is very gentle making them really easy to shoot.

Absolutely!

And, for some of us, at least one of us…..it’s all we have! 😉 😁 memtb
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/05/24
I too have recently joined the .375 fraternity. However, mine is a .375 Ruger. Haven't shot anything with it yet other than paper, but looking forward to it! I am pleased at the recoil of it. My M-1903 Springfield .30-06 kicks more than the .375 Ruger Alaskan. Go figure.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/05/24
Damn, new record I believe. Resurrected a 23 year old thread.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/05/24
My oldest brother settled on a 700 Remington chambered in 375 H&H for his elk rifle. I don’t recall what his preferred load was. I’m thinking any bullet appropriate for the H&H would work well.
I have not yet worked up many loads for my pre-64 375 H&H AI yet, though a few loads are really good, IMHO. They are basically 375 Weatherby loads. I sold my 375 H&H because the stock on the rifle didn’t fit me well. The Winchester stock was pretty much a perfect fit for me. The AI version sends the bullet maybe 200 fps faster but shooting it feels like less kick.
I’ve been having a lot of fun with the 375 Whelen AI. When the weather gets nicer I’ll be working with the 375’s more. I’m getting to be a whimp in nasty weather. Shooting bench has a good layer of ice on it.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/05/24
Congratulations.

I been told a fixed power scope is inherently has better performance on heavy recoiling rifles.

I like my houge stock, and heavy might be good?

If you need some inexpensive 375 bullets I got a bunch of 300; grain Hornaday round nose I will sell.

PM if you want.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Finally got the .375! - 01/05/24
Originally Posted by Bugger
My oldest brother settled on a 700 Remington chambered in 375 H&H for his elk rifle. I don’t recall what his preferred load was. I’m thinking any bullet appropriate for the H&H would work well.
I have not yet worked up many loads for my pre-64 375 H&H AI yet, though a few loads are really good, IMHO. They are basically 375 Weatherby loads. I sold my 375 H&H because the stock on the rifle didn’t fit me well. The Winchester stock was pretty much a perfect fit for me. The AI version sends the bullet maybe 200 fps faster but shooting it feels like less kick.
I’ve been having a lot of fun with the 375 Whelen AI. When the weather gets nicer I’ll be working with the 375’s more. I’m getting to be a whimp in nasty weather. Shooting bench has a good layer of ice on it.

I have a 375 H&H Improved as well. Started out as a rechambered 300 Wby. Put it in a Legend and man, its been a ripper. Right now I use 250 TTSX's at around 3K and it's a darned good rifle.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
© 24hourcampfire