Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rick: great choice! I have a 375 H&H SS win-70 classic with Leupold 1.75-6 also? Great minds think alike. That sounds better then asking if you are sick and twisted like me?<P>I let E4E have it, and (you will hate this part) and I had a B&C thumhole stock with both the answer products pad and brake installed. He cleaned up the action and hand lapped the barrel etc..<P>Kicks somewhere between a 270 and 30-06. Its sooooo fun. And thats the name of the game right?<P>I am working on a matching set. I have money down on a ss win-70 30-06 with Pac Nor barrel and accurizing treatment. Trajetory is similiar to the 375 H&H. I want them to both look and feel the same. I have a Weaver grand slam scope for the 30-06 up at Pats (e4e) already, waiting to be mounted. But I am thinking about a fancy wood thumbhole for this one. Either a laminate or walnut? The way E4E can hollow out the forend and action areas, refilling with steel or plastics, you can now (with a lot of work) make a gun that will hold up to the weather and be very very stable.

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
GB1

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick,<BR>Great rifle,Great Chambering!!!!!!!!!<BR>Lets get you corrupted!!!<BR>First it's not too big for north america!!!!<BR>Folks with lace on their panty's think that way!Heck it's smaller than a .50cal muzzle loader,and kicks less than the .300UM for pete's sake!<BR>Next I want you to run to the local house of howitzers(Gun shop)and get the new Sierra Manual and then go to the .375H&H data.<BR>There you will find data for using the 200gr Sierra bullet for the .375 Win,in your .375H&H.<BR>Why? Because you CAN!<BR>first you can load the bullet @ 3100fps(same as a .223) for Varmints...ever see a woodchuck get hit with a 3100fps freight train?Bring a rain coat!<BR>Next you can load it down to 2100fps and you will have a venison CQB load for bambi in the woods.<BR>Next check out the Barnes offerings in the XLC line up,and if you notice the way things are layed out,you can duplicate the trajectory of an 06' with 180gr bullets all the way out to 400yds or so using several different bullets.<BR>From mouse to BUFF! The ultimate cartridge for the ultimate hunter!<BR>If ya need a longer LOP,I might be able to help ya.You have my E-mail addy somewhere.<BR>Also the Hogue overmoulded stocks are too cool! You will still want to skim the bedding block with some Decon,but they are a DROP IN and go for 90% of folks.<BR>While you are breaking the thing in,be sure to pull the striker out of the bolt and get the factory spooge lube off of it.The evil gorp just collects grit and grime,and then freezes on you at the wrong time.<BR>I'm still on stand by after selling my M70 .375,as I am looking for a LH model,and really only want the action.I'm a bit "Different" when it comes to stocks and barrels so it only makes sense.<BR>Theres a bunch of us .375,.416Rem,taylor,Rigby,.458win,Lott,Watts freaks over on the biggame page.<BR>Are you planning on visiting some place proper to use the new toy?<BR>If so lemme tell ya about Nyala...........<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Rick, I bet the Coffee Shop is where I've seen you. I had technical difficulties with them recently and have given up for a while. You'll have lots of fun with your .375. Good luck, Troy.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Troy: Cool to see you guys stoping by. <P>thanks <P>tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E4E:<P>My wife sees your post, the only Nyala I'll be seein' is runnin' from the divorce lawyers!!<P>Man, the FIRST thing she said when I brought the .375 home was "Don't even THINK you're goin' to Africa before I get a Volvo Station Wagon." Since then, I noticed all my Ruark and Capstick is missing.<P>So, Alaska it is, probly next year, 'bous and bears, maybe moose.<P>In the meantime, I'm goin' with a MacMillan, I think, because LOP is an issue with that stock piece of crud Winchester stock. All the factory goo is out of the bolt assembly (first day, Dude), and if you know a nice PD town, I have some good 200 grain Sierras I'd like to introduce them to.<P>I gotta go. I got a cheap Volvo to find.<P>Rick<P>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rick: You did the right thing! I love my 375H&H. In fact I whacked my last two white tail with it! (you gotta love knockdown power). Yeah, it IS overkill for white tail but let me tell you, when I was sleeping in a tent in Alaska 100 miles from the nearest "town" and seeing fresh grizzly tracks in the mud, I was DARN glad to have a 375!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Africa is a far away dream for me, but when I get there I'll have my rifle. More importantly if I use it for deer and bear here, it will be natural to snap shoot on lion if I need to!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
B
B
Hey ,Rick.<BR>Glad to see you got a decent rifle.You know Im waiting for you on this side of the Atlantic.I wont harp on too much,I also live in fear of my wife!By the way I have the same rifle and scope combination it works.I chose the warne mounts,I dont like those levers that stay on the bases of the leupolds.Ive also seen a set come loose on a 416Rem.E4E breathed over mine for a while and "the treatment"is highly recommended.Enjoy your medium calibre!

Bwana Rick
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bwana Rick:<P>I've got a line on a couple of Volvos already! [Linked Image]<P>Rick (scrambling)

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congradulations! If this is your first ( I assume so), I don't think you'll be dissapointed. If not your first, you already know!-memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by swarf:<BR><B>I am about to make up a 375 Ackley with a number 5 Shilen barrel. I have been wondering if I am not going too heavy in the barrel department. I would like to hear from some of you 375 users what dimensions the factory is useing. I worked in a store where we got in a 700 Clasic in the year's caliber of 375 H&H. It had what to me looked like Remington's standard magnum barrel, and I don't think that I'd have wanted to shoot it.<BR> Anyhow, if someone out there owns a 375 and a set of calipers I'd like to hear from you. Re-inforce area, infront of the inside curve, muzzle diameter, and length. Also let me know if it isn't a straight taper.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Swarf. I had a 375 H&H Ackley Improved built a few years back and I went with a 5 1/2 contour barrel. I have no reason to beleive that a #5 contour wouldn't work just fine. As you can tell I am not into those "whippy" barrels. My barrel finished at 27 1/2" long. I put a Schmidt & Bender 1.5 to 6 X 42 scope on it because I like clear scopes that aren't eye critical. <P>Good luck, Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick, I am not in the travel business, but you can have a great hunt in Africa for about the same money as an Alaskan hunt, if you use any kind of discretion on your trophy selection(spelled trophy fees). You should consider it, it is an experience that everyone deserves to give themselves if they can possible afford it. Good Shooting.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
IIFID:<P>The Dark Continent is in the works!!<P>By the way ... seen any good deals on Volvo station wagons around???<P> [Linked Image]<P>Rick

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Still using your 375?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have 2 .375's and use them on pigs in Texas! Oh, and on brown bear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyomingJack
Rick:<P>WOW, that is a BIG gun. I can't see why you'd want a thing like that for American hunting.

Anyone who doesn't see why a 375 makes sense in NA, hasn't hunted much for big bears, AY moose, etc. We use 375's a lot and they are hardly too much gun (whatever that is) Recoil is very gentle making them really easy to shoot.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
Originally Posted by WyomingJack
Rick:<P>WOW, that is a BIG gun. I can't see why you'd want a thing like that for American hunting.

Anyone who doesn't see why a 375 makes sense in NA, hasn't hunted much for big bears, AY moose, etc. We use 375's a lot and they are hardly too much gun (whatever that is) Recoil is very gentle making them really easy to shoot.

QUOTE: We use 375's a lot and they are hardly too much gun (whatever that is) Recoil is very gentle making them really easy to shoot.

Absolutely!

And, for some of us, at least one of us…..it’s all we have! 😉 😁 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/01/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I too have recently joined the .375 fraternity. However, mine is a .375 Ruger. Haven't shot anything with it yet other than paper, but looking forward to it! I am pleased at the recoil of it. My M-1903 Springfield .30-06 kicks more than the .375 Ruger Alaskan. Go figure.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, new record I believe. Resurrected a 23 year old thread.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My oldest brother settled on a 700 Remington chambered in 375 H&H for his elk rifle. I don’t recall what his preferred load was. I’m thinking any bullet appropriate for the H&H would work well.
I have not yet worked up many loads for my pre-64 375 H&H AI yet, though a few loads are really good, IMHO. They are basically 375 Weatherby loads. I sold my 375 H&H because the stock on the rifle didn’t fit me well. The Winchester stock was pretty much a perfect fit for me. The AI version sends the bullet maybe 200 fps faster but shooting it feels like less kick.
I’ve been having a lot of fun with the 375 Whelen AI. When the weather gets nicer I’ll be working with the 375’s more. I’m getting to be a whimp in nasty weather. Shooting bench has a good layer of ice on it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations.

I been told a fixed power scope is inherently has better performance on heavy recoiling rifles.

I like my houge stock, and heavy might be good?

If you need some inexpensive 375 bullets I got a bunch of 300; grain Hornaday round nose I will sell.

PM if you want.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (16penny, 14idaho, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,991
Posts18,481,094
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.