Home
I just purchased a custom .284 Winchester built on a stainless Winchester Model 70 action. It has the 3.095" magazine box and I have tried to reach the lands with all the bullets I have for this rifle and have come to the conclusion that the chamber has a moderate throat (the 140 TTSX and the 150 Scirroco are both about 0.025" from the lands when seated at 2.980" anbd fit in the box). If any hard core .284 fans would give me their pet load(s), I'll start low and begin working up. This is going to be a great winter project...
Oh, and for the curious, the rifle is a custom jobby built by Bill Leeper in British Columbia. It is a blue-printed Model 70 stainless SA, with a Pac-nor barrel, and Bansner Stock. It has low stainless QD Leupold bases and rings with 8-40 screws I believe. The current scope is a 2-7x33 VXII with LR reticle. This is bound to be my "do-it-all" rifle for the future. Thanks ahead for any input.
Here's a thread, and especially browse the pdf mentioned. Somebody went to a lot of work.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2402264/page/1
Thank you very much, I'll get on it now!
My rifle is a savage model 11f rechambered from 7mm-08 to 284.
140 gr barnes ttsx
54 gr IMR 4831
2875 fps

140 gr Barnes xlc
56 gr IMR 4831
2900 fps
You may have a problem finding the xlc bullets, they are no longer made.
I'm the guy that had that rifle built. Send me a PM with your phone number, and I'll call you and try to help out.

This winters project will be easy, that's a very accurate rifle.

Rick
I am the one who started the referenced thread above. I used my 284 Win to kill a button buck and a 9 pointer this season using 56.5 gr I-4350, WLR primers, WW Brass, and 140 gr TTSX (2.985" COL). MV was about 3060 fps. I also had very good results using 54.5 gr W-760 with WLRM primers and the same bullet and brass. Great cartridge. Don't know if I like it or the 7-08 better. For deer, I'd call it a wash. For elk hunting next year, the little bit more added oomph from the 284 will be welcome. 150 gr NBT also gave pretty good accuracy, just not as consistently accurate as the TTSX.
I wish I could get 3060 out of my 284, best I could do is 2900 with the Barnes xlc, the ttsx were slightly slower. The problem is that my gun has a long throat, don't know if it was like that in it's origional chambering or if the rechambering caused it. Most of the bullets I have tried touch the lands at 3.125, however I have to keep the oal at 3.000 or less due to the magazine length, I could seat the bullets out farther but then I would have a single shot rifle. It has a 22 inch barrel, I have reached 3030 fps with 58 gr IMR 4831 with the xlc but extraction was sticky. I have tried IMR 4350 and Rl 19 with the ttsx bullets but ran into high pressures even before I could get to 2850 fps. I did kill a wild hog last April with one shot using the 140 gr ttsx at about 2850, guess I should not complain to much.
© 24hourcampfire