Home
Both of my Lee die sets have locking rings with no set screw instead relying on an O-ring.

This is OK with me except that is difficult if not nearly impossible to screw them into or out of my press without incurring some movement of the ring.

Reference marks on the ring as well as the die body have born this out.

I really don't want to go the locktite route instead I'll go to a conventional lock ring.

Not a flame against Lee products but it seems they have a small learning curve when compared to other die sets.

You ????

TIA, Denny.
Well, I've been using Lee's O lock rings since they came out. Not crazy about 'em but I follow Lee's instructions and find they work as well as others.
Lock rings on the die? Why not just order some lock rings that will tighten down with a screw & be done? I believe RCBS sells 'em. I don't for the life of me, see how the same setting can be achieved with a rubber "grommet" every time you screw the die in.
Bear in Fairbanks
You can use the lock rings off the LFC dies as a jam nut against the other lock ring and not get any movement at all.
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Lock rings on the die? Why not just order some lock rings that will tighten down with a screw & be done? I believe RCBS sells 'em. I don't for the life of me, see how the same setting can be achieved with a rubber "grommet" every time you screw the die in.
Bear in Fairbanks

My point, edzachary.
Originally Posted by boomtube
Well, I've been using Lee's O lock rings since they came out. Not crazy about 'em but I follow Lee's instructions and find they work as well as others.

Please share.

TIA, Denny.
The only trick is that to loosen the die you turn the lock ring rather than the die.
Tried that and still got movement. Only a few thou but movement just the same.
The only Lee product I have ever owned is several sets of Factory Crimp Die... They are OUTSTANding products.... but I hate the ring.

Thinking of getting some Horn Lock rings to replace them

T
yea...me too. I hate the rubber o-rings. I stumble across lock rings at gun shows and such. that Ed Zackary puts a stop to the nonsense. I am one a them tootless rednecks that loves to suffer with Lee Eqyipment. Why? cause they work and the price is right.
I turn em upside down so when screwed in it's metal to metal contact and you don't have a few extra thousands difference here and there because of the oring.
Sometimes it's hard to get the oring perfectly seated but with a little fiddling it seems to get done. I guess if it was moving alot I might try a dab of glue or something to hold it in the keeper.
The locking ring is one of the reasons I use the LEE turret press. Once I get'em right, that's the last time I have to mess with them. Extra turrets are only about $8 so I have one for each cartridge I load.
I think this one works a little better than the RCBS which forces the set screw into the threads. But at $4.99 a piece?!?! Ouch

Denny, I have good luck with the locking rings as is, if you don't trust them, flip them over or use two rings - one as a jam nut.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. grin
I grasp the lock ring and die body as a unit and turn 'em together. IF one actually changes a thou I don't believe that in the over-all great scheme of things it will make a bit of difference on targets. Variations between individual cases and primers, or bore fouling, will swamp a tiny change in a die!
I wrap my hand around to grasp the lock ring and die body as a unit and turn 'em together. IF I actually change one a thou I don't believe that in the over-all great scheme of things it will make a bit of difference on targets. Variations between individual cases and primers, or bore fouling, will swamp a tiny change in a die!

And, since I got a few precision type case shoulder and bullet seating gages, I KNOW that small variations in how firmly and quickly we work the press lever easily induces 2-3 thou of change in both sizing and seating.
Just toss the Lee rings and buy some Forster rings.
Look at Hornady locking rings. Very similar to the Forster but with wrench flats.
Originally Posted by Bill.338
The locking ring is one of the reasons I use the LEE turret press. Once I get'em right, that's the last time I have to mess with them. Extra turrets are only about $8 so I have one for each cartridge I load.

+1000.....Huge time saver no matter whose dies you are screwing in and out.
Lee dies are just great aren't they? Nothing like spending $8 on lock rings for the dies that are $5 cheaper................DJ
I chuck the lee lock rings and replace them with Hornadys, I found a bunch of them on sale for $1.99.
You find me a die as accurate and easy to use as the Lee Collet die and I'll use it.

As for the locking rings, many folks have exactly zero problem with them and actually prefer them to other types.

The ridiculous RCBS rings being the absolute worst.
nsaqam, loosen the screw 3/4 turn and give the ring a sharp tap right at the screw. Free as a bird. There's a piece of shot in the set screw hole that prevents damage to the die threads when the screw is tightened.

Try it. smile
All of my RCBS dies have the stupid brass setscrew that strips and doesn't hold.

I usually replace them with the Hornady lock rings from their sizing dies since I don't often use the Hornady FL sizers. I do really like the Hornady seaters though.
A simple change to a steel set screw is your salvation.
Or the well designed Hornady lock rings which I already have on hand.
Many of the cartridges I load for I have the Lee Collet die set, the RCBS FL set, and the Hornady FL set.
I always use the Hornady seater, mostly use the LCD, and rarely use the RCBS FL sizer.

Sure wish one company sold all three of those dies in one set but they don't.

Gotta try the Redding body die people rave about soon though.

At least I've been getting free bullets from Hornady the last two years with their die sets.
I've used the RBD for my 270 for quite a few years. Love it. Just bump the shoulder back a skoshe and you're where you wanna be.
Originally Posted by nsaqam
You find me a die as accurate and easy to use as the Lee Collet die and I'll use it.

Forster dies are more accurate. Get the necks honed and they are easier to use too. Cheaper they aren't.....................DJ
While I doubt Forster dies are more accurate than the Lee Collet dies any die that you need to use case lube with isn't easier to use than the LCD.

As for honing necks, well not so much.
+ 1 on that. I use a Bonanza/Forster set in 7/08.
Hornady copied their sliding seater.

Wilson bushing die.
Never used an arbor press die before.
While I doubt Forster dies are more accurate than the Lee Collet dies any die that you need to use case lube with isn't easier to use than the LCD.

As for honing necks, well not so much.

Fair point about case lube but Collet dies only work with rounds that can be neck sized, they won't work for all guns..........................DJ
The main thing I believe that Lee could improve and I can't imagine cost is a factor as one would be about as expensive as the other.
Hornady lock rings, 6 for $20... Don't have any yet, but thanks to this thread I know about them now and will be picking them up. grin

http://www.hornady.com/store/Sure-Loc-Lock-Ring-6-Per-Pkg/

[Linked Image]
While I do purchase RCBS lock rings for some of my Lee dies, I must say that the Lee rings don't loosen like other lock rings. I often have std lock rings back off.
Originally Posted by temmi
Thinking of getting some Horn Lock rings to replace them

That's what I did.

Originally Posted by HaYen
I think this one works a little better than the RCBS which forces the set screw into the threads. But at $4.99 a piece?!?! Ouch

I still prefer the Hornady's to the Forsters...

Originally Posted by shootem
Look at Hornady locking rings. Very similar to the Forster but with wrench flats.

And that's why I prefer them over the Forsters!

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hornady lock rings, 6 for $20... Don't have any yet, but thanks to this thread I know about them now and will be picking them up. grin

[Linked Image]

Much better deal then buying them one at a time for $4.00 a piece.
Thanks for the link Calhoun. Gettin me some!!!
"Fair point about case lube but Collet dies only work with rounds that can be neck sized, they won't work for all guns..........................DJ"

That's true of neck dies as a type so it's not limited to Lee's Collet Dies.

That is just what I am looking for THANKS

HaYen, loosen the screw 3/4 turn and give the ring a sharp tap right at the screw. Free as a bird. There's a piece of shot in the set screw hole that prevents damage to the die threads when the screw is tightened.

Try it. smile
Originally Posted by Calhoun

[Linked Image]

Try Midsouth they are much cheaper about $15 for 6.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005044606
I went to midsouth's website and if you just want the lock rings they charge you $14 for shipping in addition to the $15 for the lock rings!!

There's a guy on ebay selling them for $17 but the shipping's $4, comes out cheaper in the end.
0Good excuse to find something else you NEED. laugh
© 24hourcampfire