Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Both of my Lee die sets have locking rings with no set screw instead relying on an O-ring.

This is OK with me except that is difficult if not nearly impossible to screw them into or out of my press without incurring some movement of the ring.

Reference marks on the ring as well as the die body have born this out.

I really don't want to go the locktite route instead I'll go to a conventional lock ring.

Not a flame against Lee products but it seems they have a small learning curve when compared to other die sets.

You ????

TIA, Denny.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I've been using Lee's O lock rings since they came out. Not crazy about 'em but I follow Lee's instructions and find they work as well as others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lock rings on the die? Why not just order some lock rings that will tighten down with a screw & be done? I believe RCBS sells 'em. I don't for the life of me, see how the same setting can be achieved with a rubber "grommet" every time you screw the die in.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can use the lock rings off the LFC dies as a jam nut against the other lock ring and not get any movement at all.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Lock rings on the die? Why not just order some lock rings that will tighten down with a screw & be done? I believe RCBS sells 'em. I don't for the life of me, see how the same setting can be achieved with a rubber "grommet" every time you screw the die in.
Bear in Fairbanks

My point, edzachary.

IC B2

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boomtube
Well, I've been using Lee's O lock rings since they came out. Not crazy about 'em but I follow Lee's instructions and find they work as well as others.

Please share.

TIA, Denny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only trick is that to loosen the die you turn the lock ring rather than the die.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tried that and still got movement. Only a few thou but movement just the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only Lee product I have ever owned is several sets of Factory Crimp Die... They are OUTSTANding products.... but I hate the ring.

Thinking of getting some Horn Lock rings to replace them

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
yea...me too. I hate the rubber o-rings. I stumble across lock rings at gun shows and such. that Ed Zackary puts a stop to the nonsense. I am one a them tootless rednecks that loves to suffer with Lee Eqyipment. Why? cause they work and the price is right.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I turn em upside down so when screwed in it's metal to metal contact and you don't have a few extra thousands difference here and there because of the oring.
Sometimes it's hard to get the oring perfectly seated but with a little fiddling it seems to get done. I guess if it was moving alot I might try a dab of glue or something to hold it in the keeper.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The locking ring is one of the reasons I use the LEE turret press. Once I get'em right, that's the last time I have to mess with them. Extra turrets are only about $8 so I have one for each cartridge I load.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I think this one works a little better than the RCBS which forces the set screw into the threads. But at $4.99 a piece?!?! Ouch

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Denny, I have good luck with the locking rings as is, if you don't trust them, flip them over or use two rings - one as a jam nut.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I grasp the lock ring and die body as a unit and turn 'em together. IF one actually changes a thou I don't believe that in the over-all great scheme of things it will make a bit of difference on targets. Variations between individual cases and primers, or bore fouling, will swamp a tiny change in a die!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wrap my hand around to grasp the lock ring and die body as a unit and turn 'em together. IF I actually change one a thou I don't believe that in the over-all great scheme of things it will make a bit of difference on targets. Variations between individual cases and primers, or bore fouling, will swamp a tiny change in a die!

And, since I got a few precision type case shoulder and bullet seating gages, I KNOW that small variations in how firmly and quickly we work the press lever easily induces 2-3 thou of change in both sizing and seating.

Last edited by boomtube; 01/11/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just toss the Lee rings and buy some Forster rings.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Look at Hornady locking rings. Very similar to the Forster but with wrench flats.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bill.338
The locking ring is one of the reasons I use the LEE turret press. Once I get'em right, that's the last time I have to mess with them. Extra turrets are only about $8 so I have one for each cartridge I load.

+1000.....Huge time saver no matter whose dies you are screwing in and out.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee dies are just great aren't they? Nothing like spending $8 on lock rings for the dies that are $5 cheaper................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,202
Posts18,485,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.