Home
Posted By: Fotis 22 hornet loads - 04/20/17
I bought a bunch of 35 gr v max bullets and I want to use them in my 22 Hornet CZ. Who has loads for this combination. Thanks
Posted By: ldholton Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/20/17
I had good luck with 13 gr lil gun and small pistol primer
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/20/17
In general, I've had better luck with H110 for bullets under 40 grains in the Hornet, and have had better luck with small pistol primers with H110.

With Li'l Gun have done better with small rifle primers, but don't use it anymore for sub-40-grain bullets. In fact I try to avoid sub-40's in the Hornet, because the ballistic coefficients suck. But if you have a bunch, why not shoot 'em up?
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/20/17
Thanks fellas
Posted By: T_Inman Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/20/17
I don't know the charge off hand, but H110 is what I use with the 35 VMAX in K hornet forming loads.

I want to say around 12 grains, but don't quote me.
Posted By: 28lx Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/21/17
12.8 gr H-110 and federal pistol primers for my 35 VMax load.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/21/17
Thank you all guys
Posted By: nick Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/21/17
Been a while, but my old Hornet liked them 35Vmax..I should check my records before I type this but H110 sounds right and maybe IMR4227?
Posted By: mistem Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/21/17
Tag
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 05/30/17
cool. I will start loading for it today!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 05/30/17
Do a search for JB's work with the Hornet. He likes CCI 450 primers. I know, that's the other extreme from pistol primers, but he's not the only one who likes those primers.

I opened my Hornet to K-Hornet and like it better. Did it myself with a rented reamer and a "T" handle.

Don't forget about Power Pro 300-MP. It's a good one for that round, meters well.

DF
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 05/30/17
Thank you!
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: 22 hornet loads - 05/30/17
12.5 grains of Lil Gun, CCI Small Rifle Mag primer, 40 grain V-Max.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 05/30/17
Here's a link to a lot of Hornet info.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11390994

DF
Posted By: powdr Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/02/17
Does anybody load 55 or 60gr bullets in the Hornet or K Hornet? powdr
Posted By: ldholton Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/02/17
hope the OP list his findings so we can compare notes
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/02/17
Thinking h110 is what I use in my hornet w/ 35 gr. Bullets.. what the heck w/ a poor bc? It kills gophers & p .dogs just fine.. if I need to shoot farther I pick up another rifle.. Enjoy a sweet round👍
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/02/17
Originally Posted by powdr

Twist would answer that question.

The older 16 twist guns, not worth the effort.

Doubt a 14 twist would stabilize bullets of that weight. !2's, just have to try them.

55-60 gr. bullets would be moving pretty slow out of such a small round.

My 16 twist CZ wouldn't stabilize 45 gr. Barmes, gunner's vintage Super Grade M-70 will. His twist is slightly faster, like 15+, just enough faster to make it work. That bullet is pretty long compared to C&C bullets of similar weight.

And of course, bullet lenght is the critical issue.

DF
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/03/17
My first attempt with LiL Gun didn't meet expectations, but I'm going to try again with the 450s. My near-max of H110, 40gr Vmaxes, and small pistol primers is stunningly accurate, but the LiL Gun pressures should be easier on brass. My falling-block allows me to seat them way out, which your CZ might not, unless you modify the magazine. Not sure if thats even an option for you, but seem to recall something about seeing that someplace. I invested in one box of 35gr factory loads when I bought my rifle, but it didn't like them much.

Good luck. Hornets rock.
Posted By: SEM Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/03/17
powdr, I have a 14" K on its way going to try it with 60gr cast, will have to remember to post the results, all of my Hornets have been 1-12 they shoot the 35 and 40 vmax's just fine 1680 and lilgun top powders here
Posted By: powdr Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/04/17
Thanks Sem and Dfarmer. powdr
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/05/17
I just read that Power Pro 300-MP was the same as H-110 and W-296. I knew the latter two were the same powder, first I heard about 300-MP.

Anyone know if that's true or not?

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/05/17
I sincerely doubt it. All the data I've seen for H110, whether in the .22 Hornet or handgun cartrdges, is considerably lower that the data for 300-MP.

The granules are very similar in size, but 300-MP is much grayer in appearance than the black of H110.

Both powders are made in the same factory, and probably are very similar in make-up, but am guessing 300-MP has a different coating to burn slower.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/05/17
Thanks, John.

You can read about anything on the internet, didn't really believe it when I read it, just wasn't sure.

Posted on the internet doesn't make it true, doesn't mean it's false, either.

What you said makes sense, there is a difference in appearance.

DF
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/05/17
I use 1680 and the Midsouth 34gr. HPs on top of Rem. 6 1/2 primers in my Hornet. I haven't chrono-ed it, but it shoots well, and I have other rifles if I want 'faster'. For my needs around here, that bullet's BC doesn't hurt me, ranges are short. The bullets are CHEAP, which allows a lot of practice, too. I use Sierra 40s, and other "Hornet specific" bullets, when I can find them, but never anything heavier than 45gr. No plastic tips, either, I have other rifles for that, like a .221 Fireball.

I barely touch the cases with a FL die, sizing maybe, MAYBE a 1/4" of the case neck (no lube needed) and after loading and seating, I use the LEE factory crimp die. It seems to help ignition and makes the groups "rounder".

They fit my little CZ 527's magazine, too.
. I seat the bullets as long as possible for working thru the magazine, or as short, depending on your point of view.
All in all, it's a fun little package. I work with what I have, I know I could do better with the 40 BTs and single-load, but I miss sometimes, and a second shot ain't a bad thing.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/07/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by powdr

Twist would answer that question.

The older 16 twist guns, not worth the effort.

Doubt a 14 twist would stabilize bullets of that weight. !2's, just have to try them.

55-60 gr. bullets would be moving pretty slow out of such a small round.

My 16 twist CZ wouldn't stabilize 45 gr. Barmes, gunner's vintage Super Grade M-70 will. His twist is slightly faster, like 15+, just enough faster to make it work. That bullet is pretty long compared to C&C bullets of similar weight.

And of course, bullet lenght is the critical issue.

DF

Powdr,

I need to revise my post.

I did some research on Load Data. They have 55 gr. loads for the Hornet and K-Hornet.

No data for 60 gr.

Some 55's are pretty short and stubby, which as you know, length is the critical value for twist.

Some data used 16 twist, and although they didn't mention accuracy, they did publish loads.

With 55's, seems around 2,100-2,200 fps is max and top loads were with H-110 and Vv n-120.

In the K-Hornet, there was one load for 55 gr., 13.5 gr. RL-7, Rem 7 1/2 primer, velocity around 2,500 fps.

So, maybe 16 twist will work some 55 gr. bullets if the bullet is semi spitzer, doubt it would work with a sleek, long bullet.

DF
Posted By: Gadfly Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/07/17
DF- I've been loading Sierra 55gr SMP's for years in a 14" Ruger. Load is 12.5 gr of Lil' Gun with WSR primers. The SMP is the stubbiest 55 grainer that I'm aware of. You might try it with a 16" twist and see if it will stabilize.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 hornet loads - 06/07/17
My first .22 Hornet "rifle" was a T/C Contender carbine barrel with a 1-12 left-hand twist. With 10 grains of Li'l Gun it shot the 60-grain Nosler Partition into considerably less than an inch at around 2400 fps.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My first .22 Hornet "rifle" was a T/C Contender carbine barrel with a 1-12 left-hand twist. With 10 grains of Li'l Gun it shot the 60-grain Nosler Partition into considerably less than an inch at around 2400 fps.

That 12 twist really helped.

Wonder how those 60 gr. NPT's would work in a 14 or 16 twist?

DF
In my experience they're marginal in a 14 twist even at .22-250 and .220 Swift velocities. I heard when the 60 Partition first appeared that it was designed primarily for the .223 Remington, and at the time the standard .223 twist was 1-12.
I remember Gunner500 shooting 45 gr TSX in his vintage Super Grade Hornet. My 16 twist CZ Hornet keyholes them.
Gunner checked his twist and the vintage Winchester with cut rifling measured 15+ twist. Seems that tiny bit of extra twist was just enough to stabilize those bullets. His target shows clean round holes, no keyholes and good accuracy.

The 45 gr TSX is around .69" long, IIRC. So bullets must be shorter than that for 16 twist.

DF
Yeah, twists tended to vary a little more when factory barrels were cut-rifled, primarily because sine-bar rifling machines were used, which are infinitely adjustable for twist-rate within their upper and lower limits. But they need to be checked and adjusted now, and depended on operator competence. Have mentioned this here and there before that I once owned an old Savage 99 in .250-3000 that drove me nuts for a while, since it averaged around 3" with 100-grain Speer Hot-Cors, and they've always worked for me in 1-14 twist .250's, since they're probably the shortest 100-grain .25 spitzer around. The bullet holes in the targets didn't show any sign of tipping, but accuracy sucked.

Well, after trying a bunch of stuff I finally measured the twist, and it was right around 1-15. Switched to 87-grain Hot-Cors and groups immediately shrank to 1-1/2"--and that was with iron sights.

The trouble with rifling twists that are just enough to stabilize bullets, however, is if elevation or temperature get much lower, accuracy goes south.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 07/01/17
shortly will be shooting these!
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/02/17
Well, went out yesterday with the CZ hornet.

No 35 gr Vmax did really well but I did get one great group at 100 with the 40 gr Semi sptz Sierra at 2775 fps and 13 gr LILGUN. Velocity was a little disappointing. 4 shot group

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/02/17

That is K-Hornet
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/03/17
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/03/17
You by-God got it now Fotis, that will work.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/03/17
I am happy too, but I have over 500 of the 35gr v-maxes now with no use! LOL

HMMM maybe in the other CZ 527 the 222 rem..... for short range use??????
Posted By: LowerRiver Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by Fotis
I am happy too, but I have over 500 of the 35gr v-maxes now with no use! LOL

HMMM maybe in the other CZ 527 the 222 rem..... for short range use??????

[quote=Fotis]

I use the 35 v maxs for blue dot 223 loads. They are perfect for short range plinking.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 hornet loads - 08/03/17
Originally Posted by Fotis

That is K-Hornet

That and Hornet data, too.

Lots of info.

I like your Hornet load and agree with gunner.

That'll work...

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 22 hornet loads - 04/29/18
I remember Gunner500 shooting 45 gr TSX in his vintage Super Grade Hornet. My 16 twist CZ Hornet keyholes them.
Gunner checked his twist and the vintage Winchester with cut rifling measured 15+ twist. Seems that tiny bit of extra twist was just enough to stabilize those bullets. His target shows clean round holes, no keyholes and good accuracy.

The 45 gr TSX is around .69" long, IIRC. So bullets must be shorter than that for 16 twist.

DF

Alright DF, I went OLD school today, finally got all those 45 gr TSX's shot up, ordered a couple hundred 46 gr Speer flat nosed bullets for my Hornet, 13 gr lil-gun, cci-450 mag primer, in new WW brass sent em to 2833 fps, and I'll be damned into another couple of half inch groups, no wind this afternoon, happy to report my rifle doesn't appear to care what you feed it, perfect day for new load testing.

Need to find a coyote asap! smile
© 24hourcampfire