Home
Posted By: powdr What's a good DIGITAL SCALE? - 06/13/17
Need an inexpensive scale to do what little reloading I do now days. Please, something that hasn't been a problem unit. Help me out here guys. powdr
Posted By: WiFowler Re: WTB DIGITAL SCALE - 06/13/17
Prolly have better luck posting the above in the classified . . . . just sayin'
Posted By: Azar Re: WTB DIGITAL SCALE - 06/14/17
Rule of reloading scales: Good, Digital, Inexpensive; pick any two.
I've seen reports of this being the best budget model out there:

bullets.com Bald Eagle Scale
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What's a good DIGITAL SCALE? - 06/14/17
I know that I'm being obtuse, but a 5-0-5 Ohaus or RCBS.
Originally Posted by powdr
Need an inexpensive scale to do what little reloading I do now days. Please, something that hasn't been a problem unit. Help me out here guys. powdr

Depends what you call inexpensive. I've been using the same Dillon digital scale (D-Terminator IIRC??) for ~15+ years now and it's been completely problem free and accurate. I do calibrate it when I move it or haven't used it in a while, but that's really easy.

Dillon lists them for $140 now, and that's going to be cheaper in the long run than trying several el-cheapo low end scales. I watched several friends do that, all of them eventually went to the Dillon they should have bought in the first place.
Powdr, I really like my Lyman Gen 5. They make 2 different sizes. Gen 5 and Gen 6. Might want to look at them. Thanks Daniel
Cabelas (made by RCBS I believe??) But I'm not 100% confident in electronic scales.

Seems like I weigh a charge then take it off and re-weigh and there's a discrepancy.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/reloading/powder-handling%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/544895280/hornady-gr-electronic-scale/2225617.uts
Don't trust them in my limited experience. Powder dropper or even Lee scoops and balance beam is faster and more accurate. A digital scale is great for sorting cases but I usually don't do that so I currently don't have one.

No experience with the Dillon scale but all of their other products I have used were good.
I think both the older RCBS scales I have are actually made by Ohaus. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with others as well. Never had an issue with mine. I calibrate occasionally, just because, but only HAD to do it once when it got "confused" somehow. As an extra check, I occasionally weigh bullets, just to see if it's in the ballpark. I use Lee dippers to load the pan, and "trickle" up or take a few grains out. With practice, I get pretty close most of the time, and right on the money fairly often. My regular tricklers haven't been out of the box in years.

Eventually, I want to get one of the power scales that trickle the charge into the pan on an electronic scale, but there's some other goodies I need first.
Posted By: powdr Re: What's a good DIGITAL SCALE? - 06/18/17
Thanks Guys, I just don't load 200 rounds a year anymore. Usually just an extra box or two for the rifles I've shot through the year. I'll shop around but at my age I don't need the Dillon. I'm sure it's a nice unit. powdr
I'm looking to buy an Ohaus 10-10 should anyone have one to sell.
If you are going digital, don't go cheap.

The cheap one's will try to kill you.

Midway has the Charge Master on sale for under $300 with free shipping.
Jennings
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar118.htm
Posted By: jwall Re: What's a good DIGITAL SCALE? - 06/20/17
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Midway has the Charge Master on sale for under $300 with free shipping.

Yes, that's in my latest Midway flyer. I'm very tempted.

I used a PACT II for many yrs before it became erratic. I don't know if they're still available.
IF they are, based on the one I had, I'd recommend them.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: What's a good DIGITAL SCALE? - 06/20/17
I found this on Ask Gunwriters Forum, under Best Reloading Investments, by Doc Rocket on P 10. This is a short excerpt from a long post but note his take on the Pact Digital Scale.
--------------------------
Curiously, I've determined in the sporadic reloading sessions I've had since 2013 that my electronic powder dispensers (yes, plural... I've tried PACT and Lyman, both) are not what I need, at all... and I've gone back to my old green RCBS powder thrower,
.........<<<<< although I'm keeping the PACT electronic scale.>>>>>

Since my previous post I checked the Midway site and they list the Pact Digital Scale, less than 150.$ Out of stock but backorder is available. I'll probably get on the backorder list. I like the Pact II and it worked very well for more yrs. than I remember. Quite a few.

Jerry
Originally Posted by powdr
Thanks Guys, I just don't load 200 rounds a year anymore. Usually just an extra box or two for the rifles I've shot through the year. I'll shop around but at my age I don't need the Dillon. I'm sure it's a nice unit. powdr

Do you already have a balance beam scale? That's a pretty low round count per year.
I'm a big fan of Pact. Have scale, despenser and chrony
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This. If you don't want to buy a good one, don't buy one at all, just stick with a balance beam scale. Especially for only 200 rounds per year.

Low round count does not mean a cheap digital scale will serve you well. The difference between a good digital scale and a cheap one is not speed, it's accuracy and dependability.
I've been using an RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale for a number of years and it's worked fine. However, the 750 is discontinued and it looks like the replacement is the Rangemaster 2000. I haven't used the 2000.
I've got a charge master I use for rifles. I've just bought a rangemaster 2000 I use under a Harrell pistol measure. I weigh each charge. So much faster than a beam scale. Hasbeen
I bought one of these for $24:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BDOHNA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[Linked Image]

I bought it for loading at the shooting bench. I figured that if I could find a scale that would agree with my 5-0-5, then I would not have to take the latter along with me. It registers fairly close and consistent on known checkweights. So I took it with me on my next trip to the range.

What I found was that it was darn close in the ranges I was using it for. I used it for the first time working up a .223 load last summer. It's one shortcoming is that it was sensitive to wind, but it was still less so than the 5-0-5. I built a case for it so I could trickle powder into the pan while keeping the scale itself out of the breeze.

Most recently, I've been using it to check the the throws of my new Hornady LNL AP. It's faster than the 5-0-5.
I bought the Hornady for use at the loading table when wanting to check bullet weights, brass and certain loads. Mine calibrates well and doesn't take up much bench space.
Like you I had no idea where to start with a digital scale. I shopped midway and read the reviews users posted there. What I saw was that high cost doesn't = high satisfaction. The Lyman Micro got great reviews through a high number of reviewers. I tried it and have been perfectly happy with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/electronic-reloading-scales/br?cid=19933
© 24hourcampfire