Home
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Magnetospeed chonograpghs - 09/06/17
I finally got my Magnetospeed V3 today. I used a cleaning rod to find which spacers to use with 4 rifles and wrote it down. Any tips on setting up or using my chronograph will be great appreciated.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Magnetospeed chonograpghs - 09/07/17
The biggest flaw I have found is in the design of the strap clamp. Pay attention to it while firing a long string of rounds as it tends to slide to the muzzle a little with each recoil. I burned the strap when it slid far enough to the end of the barrel. I'm just about ready to replace it with some kind of rubber jawed C clamp or something.
Posted By: prm Re: Magnetospeed chonograpghs - 09/07/17
Install over barrel with the strap as tight as you can get and then get the knob as tight as you can. Check after every shot. Check after every shot.

I've had them slide or come a bit loose, but caught prior to shooting. I watched one (not mine) go flying down the range, twice, in one session!
Thanks for the tips. I wonder if wrapping some tape a few wraps around the barrel ahead of the strap would help?
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Magnetospeed chonograpghs - 09/08/17
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Thanks for the tips. I wonder if wrapping some tape a few wraps around the barrel ahead of the strap would help?

Just make sure it's blue.

Should work. laugh

In fact, I might even try that.
Heading to the range in the morning. I wrapped all four barrels with duct tape on the rifles I'm taking. I set the bayonet on the barrels and measured from the muzzle to the rubber pad on top of the unit and gave the barrels 3 wraps around (and trimmed the excess) for a stop. I'll still check the strap tension after each shot even if it doesn't slip. I'm taking a tape measure to check for slippage. Since the tape is gray instead of blue it prolly won't work. blush

If it doesn't work I may get some tape with glue on both sides and put a strip on top of the barrel with the strap cinches on it.
Posted By: spud06 Re: Magnetospeed chonograpghs - 09/08/17
After I get the right "stack" of spacers, I remove the tightening knob, shorten the strap to where I can just get the stud back through hole and thread the knob on. I get more slack out that way. This is for a gun with a front sight.
Posted By: prm Re: Magnetospeed chonograpghs - 09/08/17
Tape does help. I've had some on after hunting, and it does help keep it from sliding forward.
most of the time we put it on a tapered barrel that promotes it sliding forward and getting loose. I have used the tape idea and also wrapping a few rubber bands in front of it when o forgot tape.. a fellow at the range one day secured his with double sided tape on the mounting surfaces and the strap.
The tape worked perfect for me today. I did tighten the knob more after a couple of shots. No problems at all today on my 4 rifles.
DirtFarmer & I built stand alone pedestal bases for ours. We like them. MagnetoSpeed was happy to modify my bayonet for my application. DF did his own.
The Magnetospeed is by far the most convenient chrono I have used....BUT... the strap clamp and knob doohickey can be frustrating. As has been noted by prm above, Check it after every shot.
© 24hourcampfire