Home
Posted By: Fotis Annealing - 04/03/19
Every how often is this necessary? Also what is the easiest way of doing this and the fastest way? I was looking at the different machines out there however they do not work for all chamberings for instance 17 hornet and 460 Weatherby
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Annealing - 04/03/19
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13614819/all/how-do-you-anneal
Posted By: Fotis Re: Annealing - 04/03/19
thanks
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: Annealing - 04/04/19
I hold my cases, by the base with my fingers, and rotate the necks in propane torch flame till they become too hot to hold. It averages about 10-12 seconds. I only anneal cases 308 or longer and hold my magnum cases a bit further up so as to get about the same time in the flame. Not real scientific, but it seems to work.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
I have an AMP MK II annealing machine. I’d be glad to anneal your brass. You’d simply have to buy the pilot(s).

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...uction-annealing-machine-prod122084.aspx
Posted By: pete53 Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
i just used a lit candle for annealing and a 5 gallon bucket with some cool water it ,works just fine
Posted By: Bater Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
Cordless drill w/ a socket to turn the brass over a propain torch does the trick for cheap asses like me
Posted By: Bob338 Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I hold my cases, by the base with my fingers, and rotate the necks in propane torch flame till they become too hot to hold. It averages about 10-12 seconds.

+1
I anneal every 4th firing. Best accuracy is with the second anneal. Been doing it this way for over 60 years.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
Too fumble fingered to use that method. I use a socket in a drill. I will check a couple by the finger method while counting the seconds, using the Mississippi method. Then just count on the others. I used to watch the necks change color in a semi dark room, but then I got to where I had trouble seeing it. Old eyes, I guess. miles
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Annealing - 04/05/19

Socket, drill, torch, bucket of water and a 5 Mississippi count.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
Originally Posted by pete53
i just used a lit candle for annealing and a 5 gallon bucket with some cool water it ,works just fine

Same here but I don't bother with the bucket of water. Drop them on a damp ancient towel or similar.
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Annealing - 04/05/19
Haven't done it for a long time now, but when I did I filled a pan with water up to the shoulders of
a bunch of brass standing up in the water. Got em all hot with a torch and tipped them all over.
Seemed to work as I remember.
Since then I got rid of, or don't shoot that often, any guns that were/are hard on brass.
Posted By: KMS Re: Annealing - 04/06/19
Originally Posted by hunter5325
Cordless drill w/ a socket to turn the brass over a propain torch does the trick for cheap asses like me

That's how I do it to.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Annealing - 04/06/19
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by hunter5325

That's how I do it to.

Me too but I use Tempilaq also.
Posted By: fredIII Re: Annealing - 04/09/19
[Linked Image]
Every three bangs then to the fire they go
When making improved cases like 280ai 7-08 ai or 243ai. It’s after fireform then every three
little bird saying a 378 is chambered and ready for coatting.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Annealing - 04/09/19
The AMP machine is awesome but $1500 is a bit much, I like the salt bath any day over the torch
Posted By: Fotis Re: Annealing - 04/09/19
Originally Posted by fredIII
little bird saying a 378 is chambered and ready for coatting.

Roger that!!!!!
Posted By: kingston Re: Annealing - 04/09/19
I anneal every firing. AMP is the bee’s knees, but I’m slumming it with a Bench Source Annealing machine. I have it set up with a single propane torch. I use a commercial plumber’s type turbo torch with a 1/2” head. It’s run off a 20lb tank. The large tank ensures a consistent flame. Adjustment, setup, and timing is pretty straightforward once you’ve got a good working theory of operation. Take notes and strive for consistency. I don’t switch calibers willy-nilly. With this type of machine, it’s useful to have a large supply of brass in each caliber you shoot. That way you can anneal in batches.

More later.
© 24hourcampfire