Home
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks for sharing. Not really surprised by any of those results, with all the bullets behaving pretty well, considering their designs. The 130 TTSX is a mean little bugger....

Interesting to see that the 168NBT was such a good penetrator. I caught one of those on a hard-angle deer shot and it looked about like your bullet. It's a good choice in the .308win.

168NBT Recovery
I'm actually surprised the Interlokt's performed as poorly as they did. I expected them to do at least as good as the BT and ELDX.
The 150gr .30cal is a bit stubby, compared to the NBT and ELD-X, but I'd have guessed it to dig as deep and hold together a little better, given the sub-2700fps MV.
I would love to see a 150 TSX from the .308 tested for penetration and expansion! That is your weekend assignment! grin memtb
Originally Posted by JPro
The 150gr .30cal is a bit stubby, compared to the NBT and ELD-X, but I'd have guessed it to dig as deep and hold together a little better, given the sub-2700fps MV.

I also don't think the jacket of the 150 Hornady is as thick as that of the 168 BT either.
I’ll send you couple 30 cal 168 ttsx to try out next time to see how it does compare to the 130.
I've run a couple similar tests in the past, but didn't bother with Barnes since I figured I knew they would expand nicely, penetrate deeply and not lose any weight. I threw the 130 TTSX in the mix this time because it is so different in terms of velocity and weight from what I normally run in .308. I had also noticed when picking a few up from the dirt at my range that the hollow point seemed larger than other TSX or TTSXs that I've used. I was curious to compare the penetration and to see how big the expanded diameter would be.

I do load some other Barnes including 165 TTSXs in my 300 WSM at a little over 3100 fps. I also have some old leftover 30 cal 150gr MRX bullets that I could load up. I guess I could do a little Barnes vs Barnes test next time.

Just a couple other notes: I've run the 168 Ballistic Tip into the paper at over 3000 fps and it looked essentially the same as this test. Also, just about every un-bonded cup and core bullet I've tested this way has spit the core, but it is usually right by the jacket if I do find it. As long as the bullet doesn't completely flatten, fragment or fail to penetrate I consider it fairly stout - it's a pretty tough test of a bullet.
I always enjoy these tests and the good info. Thanks for your time and effort!
Thanks for this!
I'd love to see the .308 Winchester, 130 gr. TTSX (ideally the 168 gr.) at 400 yards. My fear is they won't expand at all.
Mirrors my results through milk jugs. Which speaks well of their respective consistency.
Originally Posted by Yuk
Thanks for this!
I'd love to see the .308 Winchester, 130 gr. TTSX (ideally the 168 gr.) at 400 yards. My fear is they won't expand at all.

Might take a few more yards than that to see no expansion. Impact at 400yd would be 2100fps with the 130gr load. I’ve seen hits on deer/hogs with the 7mm 120gr ttsx at impacts of 2250-2300fps and the expanded well enough for killing, even on broadside shots. Might not have been tremendous expansion, but was enough for good damage and blood trails.
Good read. A comparison at longer range would be useful. I've reviewed many bullet tests and always find them interesting. Thanks for sharing the results and for your time and effort.
Great work, and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the test data, working with newspaper is tough.
I hope the 175 LRX would
Thanks for the info, they all should kill deer and pigs well. I’m gonna try the 130 TTSX in a 300 Savage soon, try it on some 🐷 piggies.
This is good information.

Thank you for posting it.
I have really been liking those 168gr Ballistic Tips.
Neat post. I appreciate your time!

Todd
So FG... based on all your testing (thank you for that) which bullet are you sticking with for your primary .308 load?
I just bought my first .308 and looking for a do it all bullet and load.

Thanks
SH
Appreciate your efforts on this!! I'm surprised the NBT out-penetrated the NPT, albeit by a tad and it separated.

The 168nbt works well in the '06' too. I like it better than the 165 AB as I get better accuracy and a bit quicker kills with it over the AB's.

SD
Every one of those bullets would have done the job. It is amazing that there was only a couple inches difference in penetration, even with the heavier bullet.
Hmmmm, a shadow is cast upon the unearned reputation of the ELDX. And the aura of light properly returned to the Nosler Partition. smile
Great Tests Fall Guy, Thank You.

Any one of those bullets would work at any range under 250 yds. in a 308 Winchester. The ELD-X and Nosler BT will also work better and retain more weight at longer ranges.

Considering only the two the better weight retaining bullets, you need to consider looking at minimum expansion thresholds at longer ranges. Both the 30 caliber 165 Nosler Partition and the 30 caliber Barnes 130 Grain TTSX have minimum expansion thresholds of somewhere between 2000 and 1800 FPS.

The 165 gr Nosler Partition, started at 2650 FPS, hits 2000 FPS at about 290 yds at sea level. 1800 FPS is reached at about 380 yds.

The Barnes 130 gr TTSX, started at 3150 FPS hits 2000 FPS at about 440 yds. at sea level. 1800 FPS is reached at about 530 yds.

Nothing earth shattering about those numbers, but something that should be considered when choosing the correct bullet for how and where you hunt.
A friend of mine just killed a 5by5 elk with a 143 x bullet from a 6.5prc. 175 yards . Touched rear of shoulder blade and proceeded to come apart. Blew a2inch hole in the rib cage and made it just far enough to bruise the first lung. Blood shot meat all the way up to backstraps. The bull went a little ways and laid down and died. Bullet failure? Dead elk! No holes into heart or lungs. Ed k
I think I came across as a bit of a smart ass above. It was really just my own response to my experience with the 145 ELDX in 270. For years I shot nothing but 150 Partitions for everything which made for an all around load for deer, antelope and elk. Over the years that load took over twenty antelope and several deer but ironically, no elk.

Last year I loaded up with the ELDX but shot only a coyote with it with a straight on shot at about 20 yards. It blew up in fairly spectacular fashion. The Partition would have made a full pass through and exit.

Accuracy of the ELDX in my rifle did not live up to the billing. Probably because the sleek shape and length left it a ways off the lands when loaded as long as the magazine allows. Accuracy wasn't poor, but didn't come up to what the Partition did.
Originally Posted by Longcruise
I think I came across as a bit of a smart ass above. It was really just my own response to my experience with the 145 ELDX in 270. For years I shot nothing but 150 Partitions for everything which made for an all around load for deer, antelope and elk. Over the years that load took over twenty antelope and several deer but ironically, no elk.

Last year I loaded up with the ELDX but shot only a coyote with it with a straight on shot at about 20 yards. It blew up in fairly spectacular fashion. The Partition would have made a full pass through and exit.

Accuracy of the ELDX in my rifle did not live up to the billing. Probably because the sleek shape and length left it a ways off the lands when loaded as long as the magazine allows. Accuracy wasn't poor, but didn't come up to what the Partition did.

A lot of bullet hype, is just that-hype. Most hunting situations don't call for mega-bc bullets and that is all that the ELDX has to offer. A friend gave me some to test, and they were good in my .260, but nothing spectacular. I prefer the plain old Interlock bullets. I shoot the 147 ELDM in my Creed, and it hammers deer and steel with authority. If you don't shoot past 500 yards, the fancy shmancy bullets really don't bring that much to the table. The 129 and 140 Interlocks shoot 1/2-3/4 moa in my rifles and the 150 Interlock is a 1/2 moa bullet in my 308 and -06. They have killed a lot of deer for me, with no doubt as to the outcome.
Got to agree with that thinking.
© 24hourcampfire