Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
My old Lee hand priming tool is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with a functionally similar tool. Lee no longer makes that model, and the folding primer tray on the new Lee model is too cheesy for my liking. What are y'all using and what shell holders do they take?
Posted By: DubThomas Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
I'm using the old Lee hand priming tool as well. I hope it never breaks cuz I sure don't like the ones out there in the market now.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
I've got the new Lee hand priming tool.
It's okay as far as feeding/priming, but the tray sucks. I only dump in 50 primers at a time as I don't enjoy picking them up off the floor, and it's a bit more aggravating than it should be just to dump in 50. I'll keep using it, and hope for a replacement tray to come out someday. At least now I'm not tied to priming on my press and can prime in the living room while watching TV.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
I bought a used one of these off flea bay about 15 years ago or so for 20 bucks. RCBS sent me all the parts to refurbish it to new for free.
Never have looked back.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19

Hello Paul, for over twenty years I have used a bench mounted Forster priming tool but earlier this year one of the forum posters put me on to the 21st century tools.

[Linked Image]

And I will say that I am pleased with the purchase.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
Have been using the RCBS hand held primer for about 25 years now. Mine is the older style that uses RCBS shellholders and different inserts for small and large primers. The newer model has a universal shellholder but you still have to change the insert and priming plug for each primer size.

I'm sticking with the older model since a) I have it and it works just fine and b) looking at videos, the new one requires a couple of tools to change over while the older one needs no tools. 90% of my loading is for large rifle .473" case heads so it stays set up for that and only needs changing for .223 or .357 Magnum loading. Takes about 10-15 seconds to switch over depending on your dexterity. Only drawback I can think of is that it only uses RCBS shellholders but that's not a really big deal since 3-4 shellholders will cover 99% of loading chores.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
+1 on the RCBS pictured above, I have two of them one for handgun and one for rifle that way I don't have to switch shellholders back and forth.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
I used the Lee tool til it died. Been using the RCBS tool with the universal shell holder for many years since. Works great! Mac
Posted By: lotech Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/01/19
Another 21st Century fan, and I've tried others over many years.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Hello Paul, for over twenty years I have used a bench mounted Forster priming tool but earlier this year one of the forum posters put me on to the 21st century tools.

[Linked Image]

That looks like a quality tool. How does it feed and what kind of shell holders does it use?
Posted By: shinbone Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19

[Linked Image]

+1

Fair warning - The 21st Century tool is the only priming tool I have ever used. I researched hand primers on the internet before making my purchase, and this tool was universally praised and had no complaints. In use, I have found that it is indeed simple, reliable, easy on the hand, and precise in its primer setting capabilities. Its high quality makes it a pleasure to use.

The only complaint I could possibly see is that each primer must be individually inserted by hand into the priming cup, so it may not be the best for high volume priming. Though, I have primed up to 120 cases in a sitting and have not found this to be a problem.
Posted By: mathman Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
21st Century makes first class gear.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My old Lee hand priming tool is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with a functionally similar tool. Lee no longer makes that model, and the folding primer tray on the new Lee model is too cheesy for my liking. What are y'all using and what shell holders do they take?

Don't give up so easily, I replaced one and got a spare off E-Bay and found another at a gun show.
Originally Posted by shinbone

[Linked Image]

The only complaint I could possibly see is that each primer must be individually inserted by hand into the priming cup, .

I won't do one at a time primer loading. That doesn't fit the "functionally similar" requirement I laid out in my OP.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
I haven't owned it long, but I'm happy with the Frankford Arsenal priming tool so far. It replaced a couple of worn out LEEs. The FA offers much better leverage. Closing in on 1000 rounds and no problems so far. Seems to be well built, it's heavy.

I'll get back to you in 10 years to confirm though... wink
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I haven't owned it long, but I'm happy with the Frankford Arsenal priming tool so far. It replaced a couple of worn out LEEs. The FA offers much better leverage. Closing in on 1000 rounds and no problems so far. Seems to be well built, it's heavy.

I laid eyes on one in Sportsman's Warehouse. It looked pretty robust. I don't need and don't think I want adjustable primer seating depth. Does that one have it? What shell holders does it use?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
I have 2 Sinclair hand primers for many years with 0 problems
Posted By: kingston Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
I use a 21st Century that uses the Folding Lee priming trays.

Posted By: kingston Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
Why would you not want adjustable seating depth?
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
I have 4. A Lee that was reworked for 223.
2 RCBS, one with universal jaws the other uses standard shell holders.
Forster bench mounted. Hasbeen
Posted By: Tejano Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/02/19
I liked the old Lee and still use it, but I got tired of miss placing the shell holder and bought a RCBS universal model which has worked just fine. If I were to get another it would be the 21st century model with the Lee tray. I like the greater feel of a hand tool compared to a bench mounted one and the tubes are fiddllesome and don't let you know if you have a reversed primer until it is seated. Others love them and they may be more uniform than a hand tool.
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
Broke another old Lee , bought the Frankfort arsenal setup . Super pleased !
Posted By: JGray Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
I've had both versions of the RCBS hand primer in the past and more recently the Hornady. The Honrnady sometimes allows primers to flip or turn on their side going from the tray into the tool which has been frustrating. I bought the Lyman hand primer the other day and it doesn't have enough stroke to fully seat primers. If I can find a way to modify the Lyman, I think I'd be satisfied.
Posted By: lastround Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
I bought repair parts for my old Lee priming tools (2) several years ago. I hope to make them last as long as I do.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19

I laid eyes on one in Sportsman's Warehouse. It looked pretty robust. I don't need and don't think I want adjustable primer seating depth. Does that one have it? What shell holders does it use?

Yes, it does have the adjustable depth. I just set mine to bottom out in the primer pockets.

Mine came with a bunch of shell holders. They look identical to the LEE shell holders, but I haven't tried them for fit yet.
Originally Posted by kingston
I use a 21st Century that uses the Folding Lee priming trays.

That is an interesting option for sure.
Posted By: kingston Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
It looks like they stopped making them, I don’t know why.

http://www.xxicsi.com/auto-feed-ss-priming-tool-for-the-lee--new-auto-prime-tray.html
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19

Great tool, all I need.

MM
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by kingston
Why would you not want adjustable seating depth?

I have always seated 'em up snug and been happy enough with my results. It may be beneficial to qualify my reloading experience and objectives. I am a casual reloader. I bought a Lee Anniversary kit many years ago and have been very happy with it. I have added a few little odds and ends along the way. Almost all of my dies are Lee. I read the Lee manual when I bought the kit. I have revisited it a time or two. I have also read tidbits here and there. I get the basics, but when I read some of the more technical aspects it goes over my head. I have always learned best in a master/apprentice environment. I suck at self-learning. I have never had access to a master to teach me the finer points of handloading. So for that reason I keep things as simple as possible. I started reloading because 257 Roberts ammo was hard to come by. Impossible with Partitions. I have added a few more oddball calibers along the way. I don't shoot competitively and am content with good accuracy. I don't need bench rest accuracy, though I certainly appreciate it.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19

Yes, it does have the adjustable depth. I just set mine to bottom out in the primer pockets.

Mine came with a bunch of shell holders. They look identical to the LEE shell holders, but I haven't tried them for fit yet.

I think Frankford is going to get the nod. Thanks for the info.

I think Frankford is going to get the nod. Thanks for the info.

You bet. Hope it works well for you.
Posted By: JGray Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
I just ordered the FA unit as well and will be returning the Lyman...
Posted By: hanco Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
I have several RCBS hand held.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/03/19
I have only ever used the RCBS hand held. There may be better ones, but it works fine for me.
Posted By: hanco Re: Hand Priming Tools - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by Slope77
I have only ever used the RCBS hand held. There may be better ones, but it works fine for me.

I’ve used all kinds, the RCBS hand held are very good in my opinion. I shucked the rest of them.
© 24hourcampfire