Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My old Lee hand priming tool is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with a functionally similar tool. Lee no longer makes that model, and the folding primer tray on the new Lee model is too cheesy for my liking. What are y'all using and what shell holders do they take?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm using the old Lee hand priming tool as well. I hope it never breaks cuz I sure don't like the ones out there in the market now.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've got the new Lee hand priming tool.
It's okay as far as feeding/priming, but the tray sucks. I only dump in 50 primers at a time as I don't enjoy picking them up off the floor, and it's a bit more aggravating than it should be just to dump in 50. I'll keep using it, and hope for a replacement tray to come out someday. At least now I'm not tied to priming on my press and can prime in the living room while watching TV.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a used one of these off flea bay about 15 years ago or so for 20 bucks. RCBS sent me all the parts to refurbish it to new for free.
Never have looked back.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Hello Paul, for over twenty years I have used a bench mounted Forster priming tool but earlier this year one of the forum posters put me on to the 21st century tools.

[Linked Image]

And I will say that I am pleased with the purchase.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have been using the RCBS hand held primer for about 25 years now. Mine is the older style that uses RCBS shellholders and different inserts for small and large primers. The newer model has a universal shellholder but you still have to change the insert and priming plug for each primer size.

I'm sticking with the older model since a) I have it and it works just fine and b) looking at videos, the new one requires a couple of tools to change over while the older one needs no tools. 90% of my loading is for large rifle .473" case heads so it stays set up for that and only needs changing for .223 or .357 Magnum loading. Takes about 10-15 seconds to switch over depending on your dexterity. Only drawback I can think of is that it only uses RCBS shellholders but that's not a really big deal since 3-4 shellholders will cover 99% of loading chores.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the RCBS pictured above, I have two of them one for handgun and one for rifle that way I don't have to switch shellholders back and forth.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used the Lee tool til it died. Been using the RCBS tool with the universal shell holder for many years since. Works great! Mac

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Another 21st Century fan, and I've tried others over many years.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Hello Paul, for over twenty years I have used a bench mounted Forster priming tool but earlier this year one of the forum posters put me on to the 21st century tools.

[Linked Image]

That looks like a quality tool. How does it feed and what kind of shell holders does it use?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

[Linked Image]

+1

Fair warning - The 21st Century tool is the only priming tool I have ever used. I researched hand primers on the internet before making my purchase, and this tool was universally praised and had no complaints. In use, I have found that it is indeed simple, reliable, easy on the hand, and precise in its primer setting capabilities. Its high quality makes it a pleasure to use.

The only complaint I could possibly see is that each primer must be individually inserted by hand into the priming cup, so it may not be the best for high volume priming. Though, I have primed up to 120 cases in a sitting and have not found this to be a problem.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
21st Century makes first class gear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My old Lee hand priming tool is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with a functionally similar tool. Lee no longer makes that model, and the folding primer tray on the new Lee model is too cheesy for my liking. What are y'all using and what shell holders do they take?

Don't give up so easily, I replaced one and got a spare off E-Bay and found another at a gun show.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shinbone

[Linked Image]

The only complaint I could possibly see is that each primer must be individually inserted by hand into the priming cup, .

I won't do one at a time primer loading. That doesn't fit the "functionally similar" requirement I laid out in my OP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't owned it long, but I'm happy with the Frankford Arsenal priming tool so far. It replaced a couple of worn out LEEs. The FA offers much better leverage. Closing in on 1000 rounds and no problems so far. Seems to be well built, it's heavy.

I'll get back to you in 10 years to confirm though... wink

Last edited by Wrongside; 10/02/19.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I haven't owned it long, but I'm happy with the Frankford Arsenal priming tool so far. It replaced a couple of worn out LEEs. The FA offers much better leverage. Closing in on 1000 rounds and no problems so far. Seems to be well built, it's heavy.

I'll get back to you in 10 years to confirm though... wink

I laid eyes on one in Sportsman's Warehouse. It looked pretty robust. I don't need and don't think I want adjustable primer seating depth. Does that one have it? What shell holders does it use?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have 2 Sinclair hand primers for many years with 0 problems

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a 21st Century that uses the Folding Lee priming trays.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why would you not want adjustable seating depth?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 4. A Lee that was reworked for 223.
2 RCBS, one with universal jaws the other uses standard shell holders.
Forster bench mounted. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.