Home
Does anyone here have experience or know someone that has experience storing firearms in bubble wrap? The firearms will be kept in an occupied home with central air and heat.

Thanks!

T.S.
I wouldn't wrap them in bubble wrap, even with central air and heat, and for sure not in South Central TX..

I'd get treated gun socks to keep moisure from building up, lightly coat them with a good rust preventive. I like Ballistol.

Then, if I thought I needed additional bubble wrap protection, I'd use it over the gun sock.

DF
Thanks DF. - T.S.
For longer term storage I like Collectors rust preventative or Eesox and a heavy wax coating. Gun socks or a breathable gun case or open storage. Mine are in a non HVAC area and I get condensation issues if I don't run a heater during the cooler months. I am also trying Dyna Gun Coat or (Kote?) and it seems to be working well so far. I have about the same weather you do.
I would also be concerned that the bubble wrap might melt or deteriorate due to some chemical that may be on the firearm. You could end up with a gooey mess.
I wouldnt put them in anything. Gunstores leave the firearms out.
Buy some Eezox off of Ebay and coat your firearms as per the directions. It works great for me.
Not a good idea to wrap firearms in plastic for a long period - and bubble wrap is plastic. Reason? Plastic is non-porous and any atmospheric humidity present at the time of wrapping will be trapped inside the package thus promoting rust.
Better choice would be to store the firearms in a secured cabinet with a can or large packs of dessicant.
Birchwood Casey Barricade/Sheath or for longer term storage RIG and store in knit sleeve type cases.
Back in the mid-90s, I remember seeing a Winchester Model 63 at Doc's in Pocatello that had been put away in mint condition and "protected" by Saran wrap. Completely screwed it up.
Another vote for not wrapping guns in plastic. Much better for them to be oiled and stored in open air in a gun cabinet, if possible.

Deteriorating polymers (as used in carpet, cheap holsters, gun socks, etc) can damage gun finishes as well. If you store guns in contact with that sort of thing, check them periodically.
Figure there is a reason military inventory is packed in grease before any sort of wrap is applied...
I'd stay away from bubble wrap...
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Figure there is a reason military inventory is packed in grease before any sort of wrap is applied...

And then they wrapped them in paper to keep the grease on the guns.
© 24hourcampfire