Home
A serious question. I have tried every source that I know to get Small Rifle Primers and have come up empty. Are all those primers being produced for manufacturers loaded ammo? Lack of material to produce them? Government intervention? The gunshops in my area say they haven’t had them in over 3 months.
Anyone???
I was called and told that SR and SP were available at our local Acadamy sports. I figured they are starting to show up.
Hasbeen
Sure hope so. This is crazy.
They have been coming & going at Midway, Brownell's, & a few other places fairly regularly the last few weeks. They go out almost as fast as they appear. At $85/1000 plus shipping & hazmat they have been lasting a bit longer but still sell out quickly. Only CCI & Federal have shown up so far, but a bit of everything small & large, rifle & pistol has been available.
Originally Posted by Stevens223
A serious question. I have tried every source that I know to get Small Rifle Primers and have come up empty. Are all those primers being produced for manufacturers loaded ammo? Lack of material to produce them? Government intervention? The gunshops in my area say they haven’t had them in over 3 months.
Anyone???

Manufacturers are saying they're making more primers, powder, bullets, and guns than ever.

People are hoarding. It's like toilet paper--only on a grander scale........
I saw small rifle, small rifle magnum, small pistol, large pistol, and large pistol magnum in the last few days. Even a few boxes of large rifle and shotgun which I haven’t seen in a long time. They sell out in less than a day even with a 1k minimum.

Have only seen cci and federal. I would be astonished if I saw Winchester or Remington as I haven’t seen them in over a year.
I just bought some Federal 205 yesterday morning. Bought some CCI500 about a month ago. You just gotta be quick when they pop up these days because they sell fast. I was going to grab some Fed 215 yesterday too, but I was too slow getting them in the cart.

Originally Posted by Futura
I saw small rifle, small rifle magnum, small pistol, large pistol, and large pistol magnum in the last few days. Even a few boxes of large rifle and shotgun which I haven’t seen in a long time. They sell out in less than a day even with a 1k minimum.

Have only seen cci and federal. I would be astonished if I saw Winchester or Remington as I haven’t seen them in over a year.

Yeah, the only thing I am really low on is WSR, and I haven't seen those come in stock anywhere yet. With the whole Remington breakup last year, on top of this whole shortage, I doubt Rem will be showing up anywhere for a long time. Rem ammo (via Vista) has been in stock more and more of late, though, so that is a good sign.
I walked into the LGS yesterday and found most sizes of primers on the shelf, limit five.

No problem....except the price was " adjusted for inflation"...
Yeah, not cheap these days. The 205s yesterday were $87/1000 plus the hazmat shipping. The box of CCIs I got last month were $65/1000 but it was at a lgs, so no shipping to pay, at least.
Someone here posted about primers available at Midway. I picked up a couple of bricks of ones I was low on, SR and LP, at “Market Price”. I suspect more will follow, but you gotta be vigilant and or jump on your product notifications quickly. Was really surprised how long those remained available. Prices on the same ones at Grafs were slightly lower, but out of stock.

Update: Just checked, and Midway and Natchez both have LP available. Those are probably the least in demand now.
Midway had some CCI LP this morning.

I'm pretty good now, aside from WSR. The 215 I missed are for a friend, not my own personal use. I'm not into punishing my shoulder and neck anymore.
For you Virginians, my son saw CCI 400 and Fed LP at Greentop this a.m. Market Price.
I was at my local Academy store last week and they had four cartons of Federal Large Rifle primers for $39.99 each,so looks like things may start to get better.I left them on the shelf because I'm using magnum primers and wasn't going to hoard primers when someone else is in serious need for them.
They are available. Picked up 5k the last two weeks. Small rifle, large rifle. Pistol primers available as well
Must be somewhere else. I haven't seen any in over a year here. Now that I think of it there were some SR primers a few months ago, but were limited to 400 and at high prices.
OrangeDiablo & Stevens223: I live "somewhere good" but it is remote and at the end of all supply lines for everything from Bananas to new vehicles - let alone munitions and reloading supplies!
I have NOT seen primers on a shelf with 75 miles of my home in many months.
Luckily I learned a couple of shortages ago (was that 12 or 15 years ago?) to keep and maintain a lifetime supply of reloading components.
Supplies are very short in my neck'o the woods.
In fact two weeks ago I decided to sell a carton (1,000) of the standard Federal small Rifle primers at the Whitehall, Montana gunshow.
I use the Federal small Rifle "Match" primers and have plenty of them but had no need/use for the standards.
Anyway I did NOT even make it into the door of the gunshow and a fellow WCSM member offered me $100.00 cash for them - sold!
I don't know how much I could have gotten for them but he offered and I accepted.
My direct but non-specific answer to your question ("Are primers ever going to be available again"?) is - I don't know, but I am sure that they will never be the same price they were a couple years back!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Academy Sports here in central KY had primers the last few days. CCI small pistol and rifle and Federal small pistol and rifle. CCI's were 6.99 and the federals were 5.99. Not cheap like they used to be, but not as bad as I have seen elsewhere.
I picked up a box of CC! #41's at Sportman's Warehouse about 1 hour ago. It's the first primers I have seen in 3 months at Sports Man's. I really need some large rifle primers . I guess I better get back to Sports Man's more often.

I forgot to add $39 plus tax.

kwg
Feeling the same way. The only thing I can suggest is sign in on different sites and click the “notify me when available” link.
Originally Posted by kwg020
I picked up a box of CC! #41's at Sportman's Warehouse about 1 hour ago. It's the first primers I have seen in 3 months at Sports Man's. I really need some large rifle primers . I guess I better get back to Sports Man's more often.

kwg

Yeah, sportsman's around here has been getting shipments as well, but you have to be fast. They don't last long. $39 isn't bad, considering..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

kwg

Yeah, sportsman's around here has been getting shipments as well, but you have to be fast. They don't last long. $39 isn't bad, considering..

It was my lucky day.

kwg

kwg

It was my lucky day.

kwg

Excellent. You did very well. The last time I bought CCI41's, I paid more than that for them. I believe they were about $45.00/brick. That was 2 years ago and I bought 3 bricks. It wasn't sportsman's, but an AR specific shop I frequent.
Good news!!! I was able to purchase some Federal 205 Small Rifle Primers. I would have preferred CCI 41 but I’ll take what I can get.

kwg

It was my lucky day.

kwg

k,

If you're really needing things, you need to call or PM me.

Barter/swap, whatever.
Saw lots of CCI SR at local Scheels four days agp, $99 per 1000. Don’t need any that bad.
© 24hourcampfire