Home
Guys, I'm into the .204 Ruger with a couple of Kimbers and have tried 40gr V-Max, 40gr. 40gr. BTips and 40gr. Berger HP's. All are very accurate - no real winner as of yet but I'll be moving to the 200 yard line next week.
So, I want to standardize to one bullet and prefer the 40gr as it will buck the wind better. Convince me if I'm wrong on that.
Just a little unscientific survey on what the 204 shooters out there are using.
So far I have had good success with 27gr. Varget but there is a pound of Benchmark just sitting there.
Your thoughts?
If you are looking for small groups,at least with a Kimber, the 35 Berger and 39 BlitzKing shoot just silly.

BenchMark and H4895 worked well for me.
Bigwhoop: Using the top safe loads for the 32 grain Nosler bullet and the 40 grain Nosler bullet (source: Nosler Reloading Guide #6, published 2,007) out at 450 yards the 32 grain bullets are flying 4.7" FLATTER than the 40 grainers (24.1" vs. 28.8" with 100 yard zero's)! Thats a significant difference.
And in a ten m.p.h. crosswind out there at 450 yards the 40 grain bullet is flying ONLY 1.3" straighter than the 32 grainer (25.0" vs. 26.3"!). Thats a very minor difference.
I have 5 Varminters in 204 Ruger and use the 32 grain bullets now exclusively in each of them.
I have YET to find an "in-accurate" bullet for any of my 204's handloads!
AND this includes 3 very accurate varieties of factory ammo I have shot to some extent to date in all of my 204's!
I second someone elses appreciation of the superb accuracy of the 35 grain Bergers as well!
Over-all this is the most accurate bullet in 4 out of 5 of my 204's! I have as not yet used them in the fifth Rifle.
The reason I had to quit using them exclusively is because they are very hard to come by here in remote SW Montana!
Sounds like you MAY have your mind made up - but, I say spend some time on a good ballistics, computer site and compare the 32's, 35's and the 40's!
THEN use them all for several years (as I have) in the field, on Varmints!
I strongly suggest you give the 32 grain bullets a fair chance in your 204!
You may be surprised (pleasantly - as I was!) - go with the 32 grainers is my advice.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by HawkI
If you are looking for small groups,at least with a Kimber, the 35 Berger and 39 BlitzKing shoot just silly.

BenchMark and H4895 worked well for me.

X 2. The 39 BK is my all time favorite for the small critters and the 35 berger is my main staple for yotes.

I use the same powders above as well as RL-10X
Varmint Guy,
Thanks for your time in explaining the differences. I have Nosler #6. My mind isn't made up - I was just leaning in a direction. My local source (Gunstop: 952-474-0211)has stacks of Bergers so I'll be trying them. I will stick with the Varget for now so as not to cloud the results with testing more than one component at a time.
Hawk, Also thanks, more info to digest which is what I like.
My 204 Savage Predator prefers the 32gr Sierra Blitzking with benchmark.Rick.
I got the "best" results with the 32 and 39 BKs. One important factor is the BK has a shorter boat tail and longer shank, with that factory throat in the next county, it was the only bullet that didn't take a giant flying leap. (M77MK2TGT)
I've had the barrel replaced, then had THAT one set back and rechambered by Greg Tannel with a 233 neck. But like a moron, I didn't have Greg disappear the entire chamber...it's STILL way too fat at the back end.
I just got done doing a retest with my .204 since I ran out of the primers I'd been using and had to switch.

My gun's best load for accuracy is a 39 grain Sierra over 27.0 grains of Varget, OAL = 3.250. It shot very well with Fed 205Ms and WSRs in the past and now with Rem 7-1/2s.

With the WSR and Fed 205, 27.5 grains didn't shoot all that well with the Sierra, but with the Rem 7-1/2, it gave definitely useful accuracy, still under half inch for 5 shots.

My normal heavy bullet load is a Nosler 40 grain with 27.5 grains of Varget. Any of the above primers works well.

While I was at it, I did some testing with Benchmark. It did so-so with the Sierra bullet especially with the 24.0 grain starting load. Definitely opened up considerably as I worked up in half grain steps to the book max of 26.0. The Nosler didn't shoot well with Benchmark. Well, relatively speaking. It was still 3/4 MOA or better, but the Varget loads were in the .3s and low .4s.

Soon as I get some 40 grain Hornadys (currently on backorder) I'll run the same loads again with them.

For 32s, I shoot 28.0 grains of H335 under Nosler or Hornady bullets. Rem 7-1/2 primers. I've never had a problem with Varget, but I pierced primers shooting H335 and have destroyed 2 $225 Jewell triggers. frown frown

I haven't tried the 32 grain Sierras and I don't shoot the 39s much, they're not available over the counter here so I mostly shoot Hornady.

Tom
t o m, What brand of case stretcher are you using to get an oal of 3.25?.........
I'm sure that's a typo and he means 2.250".
Taking Varmint Guys suggestion, I tried some 35gr. Berger Hp's this morning. I used 28gr. of Varget with a WSR and an OAL of 2.250". Chrony averaged 3562fps. Center to center of a five shot group was 5/8". Sorry, I have dial-up and pics take a very long time.
That was is a new Kimber Pro Varmint.
I have had very good luck with the Sierra 39 BK and H4895 in my two Savage 204s. I admit that since the 39s shot so well I never played with the 32 grain bullets. I did try the Berger 35s and my group almost doubled in size, but is a better coyote round I think.
i've got another question about 204 bullets. my gun shoots 32 gr and 40 gr v max's great. theonly thing i've had a chance to shoot with the 204 so far is magpies with the 32 gr bullet. at 50 yards it explodes them, at a hundred yards it just puts a hole through them . i realize a magpie doesn't present a lot of resitance to upset the bullet. wondering how the various bullets compare on squirrels or p.d's

thanks Ed
My Savage likes 32gr hornady or Nosler over the 40gr ones and likes Benchmark.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
t o m, What brand of case stretcher are you using to get an oal of 3.25?.........

That would be Typo brand. I have a lot of that on hand and distribute it widely. smile

Sorry, think that was to say 2.35"
My 84M Varmint shoots the 39gr BK's very well using H322. I've not used them on any coyotes, but really like the Blitz Kings for prairie dogs!
For 32s, I shoot 28.0 grains of H335 under Nosler or Hornady bullets. Rem 7-1/2 primers. I've never had a problem with Varget, but I pierced primers shooting H335 and have destroyed 2 $225 Jewell triggers.

I am just getting into reloading for rifle and the 204. I shoot a tikka .204
Please explain the above comment.
I shoot a tikka .204 varmint rifle.
With factory ammo it likes the 32 g hornady the best by far.

I would assume the 32's and a gut, shoulder, spine or lung shot would equal dead dog. But haven't done it.

Does any guy with experience know the bigger bullets would do best on coyotes?
I think the 40 gr nosler will prove to be a good yote bullet , but I've only shot one with it so far......otherwise , the 35 and 40 gr Bergers have a good rep with those who have used them alot.
yuppers on the 40 gr. nozlers......... And less drift at range compared to the 32's. Of any flavor......

I go with 39 Grain Sierra's they group awsome and seem to be the most accurate for me.
My 77VT seems to prefer the 32 gr. Vmax.
© 24hourcampfire