Home
I was shopping along at one of my favorite Gunshops this morning when I see on the rack a Rifle in caliber 222 Remington according to the hang tag!
I was shocked and interested and at first did not recognize the Rifle by its stock and metal finish.
I got it down and sure enough it turned out to be a Ruger Model 77 "HawkEye" in caliber 222 Remington!
It was a nifty looking and handling Rifle with a sturdy feeling synthetic stock.
The finish was a grayish matte type - certainly it would be non-glare!
The barrel was 22 inches long and of sporter weight.
The action worked relatively smoothly and the Rifle came with rings for the M-77's integral base type action.
The price was $576.00 for this new Rifle and I did not think that was to high - high but NOT to high.
I have to say thank you to the Ruger folks for offering this fine caliber for the "walking Varminter" crowd!
There is EXCELLENT brass available for this caliber and the brass as we all know lasts forever in this caliber.
I see NO reason why this Ruger Rifle would NOT be capable of excellent accuracy with a good 4x12 or 3.5x10 scope on it!
The trigger was not to bad either!
I could NOT find an offering from the Remington folks in 222 caliber at all in their 2,010 catalog.
Hmm....?
Thanks again Ruger folks - I hope this model sells well for you all! What a great "walking Varminter" or "starter Rifle" this 222 HawkEye should be!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
awesome, good to know.
Yeah, I'm glad someone is chambering it. I've got a .222 and I wouldn't trade it for all the .223's made. It's a great little cartridge and deserves to be way more popular.
We sure do like our .222 Remington caliber CZ rifles with set triggers! The only problem we have had lately is finding Hornady factory ammo in 50 grain Moly. It seems like nobody has that particular ammo. Now I suppose I am just going to have to reload our own for these rifles.
Its not in Ruger's catalog.

Special run from a distributor?
I've read that Ruger 222 rifles (77, #1, mini-14) sold in this country are usually overruns from an order from France, where military calibers aren't legal for hunting.

Bruce
That little package of truffles in with the scope rings is how you tell...

wink
Originally Posted by bcp
I've read that Ruger 222 rifles (77, #1, mini-14) sold in this country are usually overruns from an order from France, where military calibers aren't legal for hunting.

Bruce

Imagine, France not wanting any military chamberings for civilian arms for hunting. Kinda sets the tone for the country as a whole.
Their are as many COMMIES in France as their are in North Korea!
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I was shopping along at one of my favorite Gunshops this morning when I see on the rack a Rifle in caliber 222 Remington according to the hang tag!
I was shocked and interested and at first did not recognize the Rifle by its stock and metal finish.
I got it down and sure enough it turned out to be a Ruger Model 77 "HawkEye" in caliber 222 Remington!
It was a nifty looking and handling Rifle with a sturdy feeling synthetic stock.
The finish was a grayish matte type - certainly it would be non-glare!
The barrel was 22 inches long and of sporter weight.
The action worked relatively smoothly and the Rifle came with rings for the M-77's integral base type action.
The price was $576.00 for this new Rifle and I did not think that was to high - high but NOT to high.
I have to say thank you to the Ruger folks for offering this fine caliber for the "walking Varminter" crowd!
There is EXCELLENT brass available for this caliber and the brass as we all know lasts forever in this caliber.
I see NO reason why this Ruger Rifle would NOT be capable of excellent accuracy with a good 4x12 or 3.5x10 scope on it!
The trigger was not to bad either!
I could NOT find an offering from the Remington folks in 222 caliber at all in their 2,010 catalog.
Hmm....?
Thanks again Ruger folks - I hope this model sells well for you all! What a great "walking Varminter" or "starter Rifle" this 222 HawkEye should be!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Did you buy it?
Hawk1: The gunshop where this Rifle is at is closed on Mondays - I will check it out tomorrow and see if the owner of the shop is aware of it being a non-catalogued item.
Maybe I should add this little gem to my arsenal as an investment?
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
28lx: Negative, I did not buy it (as yet anyway!).
I have a wonderfully accurate pair of Remington 700 Classic's in caliber 222 Remington for my "walking around 222's".
I am trying to remember the price I believe it was $539.00?
I will double check that tomorrow afternoon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
There are still new 222 out they're not made this year the 223 has cut way down on a demand for them. I found a couple of the Remington 799 and my friend even bought one in a 22 Hornet and loves it. Tried to find one of them lately? The new Icon I bought back in November had been on the shelf since the first year they came out. Four digit serial #50XX. If you want a good 222 get a Savage and let Shilen make you a barrel. No problem to change out and their best match barrels are under 400 dollars. My brother in law took a long action and with the change of a bolt head and barrel has a tack driver. It was one of the much older single shots but it works well. The round looks strange laying in the action, almost like a toothpick in the forest. If they are going to stop making them and I had one or wanted one it would be a good time to start stocking up on some brass, it's not fun trying to make it out of 223. As the economy shrinks we may see more and more calibers that fade. If they don't sell well no one wants products on the shelf that they can't move so some of the old favorites may become a thing of the past.
I went to my pawn/sport shop just before it closed this afternoon.
And like someone intimated/guessed the HawkEye Model 77 in 222 Remington is not a catalogued item and was made in a special run for the jobber/wholesaler "Davidson's"!
The price is $536.00 and I kind of like the nifty little rig.
I did not learn how many of these "limited" edition 222's were made though - no one knew right off hand.
If it was 100 Rifles I would be tempted to buy it and tuck it away.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'd buy it, but alas its not in the catalog...
I couldnt find it on their website, or Davidsons website...cause I was thinkin' I'd buy it too!!

Ingwe
Saw one on GB, NIB, but the guy thought it was gold plated.....
I'll bet....I want one to shoot...not one to sit in a box and appreciate...I'm sure you are the same....

Ingwe
Oh yeah.....

My first 222 became my second 222 Magnum...

Still have 2 222's......and I am my own grandpa (grins)

I would like a Ruger in the deuce.

Thought about a Mini-14 in 222, but they just ain't me.
My mentor is a fellow who likes to find stuff new, unfired, Colt's particularly.....

We have fun. I expect to get all of his "worthless" stuff, or at least have a crack at it first (grins).

Life's too short to let someone else shoot your guns.....
Originally Posted by HawkI

+1

I wonder what twist that Ruger has....

Ingwe
Me too.

I know you like the 53 TSX, which I need to use on something like on a pig trip, but that 62 is the shiznit.

I need to find a Vixen action, a SS pencil tube with a 1-8 twist.

Prolly just steal a stock from my pard....

Oh, bettin 1-14 frown

A 1-12 would be encouraging, least for the 53 TSX. My 1-14's barely run the 50 XLC's; the 53's are a little erratic to hit meat with.

of his "worthless" stuff, or at least have a crack at it first (grins).

You wouldn't have a chance to ever shoot some of these if I didn't have that worthless stuff sitting around. Besides too old to collect and nice having pretty unfired shet on the range
Originally Posted by njs1230

You wouldn't have a chance to ever shoot some of these if I didn't have that worthless stuff sitting around. Besides too old to collect and nice having pretty unfired shet on the range

Corruption at its finest.... grin

Gotta admit, some folks would gasp at the things we do.....but just the snobs.
I got the 53 gr TSX to shoot well in my wifes Rem722 with a 1 in 14 twist...
But you and a couple others have me kinda scanning the AO for a 1 in 10 or 1 in 8 tube to stick on a .22-250 and drive some 62 TSXs....
Thinking about a build...a " Campfire Rifle" of sorts... grin

Ingwe
As a side note, I'm thinking of buying a 22 PPC barrel for someone to put on a somewhat valuable 6 PPC gun........

Hard on collector value, but no damn fun otherwise.
Originally Posted by njs1230

Corruption at its finest.... grin

Gotta admit, some folks would gasp at the things we do.....but just the snobs.

but it's fun and looks good smile
The ones I've recovered (not from any critters) show a nice frontal face and a heck of a lot of shank to push it through.

Just exits on the critters, all out of proportion, really.

I'm sold....
Ive only recovered one of the 53Grainers from a critter( after right on 20+ kills..) and it looks like it came out of a magazine ad...
But Im hearing the sirens song of the 62, thinkin I could squeek a little more range out of it.... whistle

Ingwe
Yeah,

I know some yahoo who just built a fat barreled 220 Rocket with that pill and the 70, and range, in mind whistle grin

While some of us are plodding along with a 1 in 12 .223AI shooting 53 grainers.... frown

Ingwe
1-9, 222 Magnum here (grins)

Panache, plus P plus!

Some just run those 53's in a 22-250 tho, I hear, and even things up a bit.....

Some just run those 53's in a 22-250 tho, I hear, and even things up a bit.....

Im doin that too.....and I trust both the .223AI and the .22-250 to 300 yds....on deer sized critters..

But I just need something else to phool with...( the truth comes out...)

Ingwe
I had you in particular with the 22-250.

You need to 1-8, then Ack the 22-250's. Now THAT sounds like phun!

Really trying to beat my pard to a Forester action (he'll beat me), borrow the Rocket reamer and slap a 1-8 pencil tube on it....

Don't make me start lookin up what a "Rocket" is....

Ingwe
Does Roy Weatherby sound familiar??

Long for the 700, hence the Forester/57 Sako.....
Ohhhhhhhh....DAT Rocket!

No, I can't......I mean...I couldn't....

Dam you HawkI! laugh

Ingwe
I know someone with a reamer and gauges.....

So do I...I work with him...

But...I'm gonna resist...honest...I am...

Ill just start picking up pieces and parts for a build...

Yeah..thats what I'll do...

grin
Ingwe
Yeah.

Just buy a set of dies first! (grins)
Ruger made a few 77s in .222 a few years back w/stainless
metal and black synthetic stocks. I believe the floorplates
had engraving, they show up every now and then on GB and
AA.
Jericho: This 222 Rifle is definitely a "HawkEye" Model 77 and it has a black synthetic stock and IIRC it has some engraving (laser type?) on the floorplate!
I am dealing on a "rare" offering in a Remington 700 right now and if that falls through I may just pick up this handsome little Rifle.
Jericho do you remember at all what these Rugers in 222 Remington sold for?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Ruger made a few 77s in .222 a few years back w/stainless
metal and black synthetic stocks.

I'm aware of these, but was not aware they made some in the H'eye models. I'll try to find my notes, as I almost bought one of the former a few years ago. Was a special run but for who I can't recall. Price, IIRC was around $500 without shipping.
The 222s I am talking about are M77 MKIIs, I think they
came from Davidsons.
Biglmbass: I checked the Ruger 222 Rifle again today and into the receiver on the left hand side is DEEPLY engraved, the term - "HAWKEYE"!
Again its a handsome little Rifle and I appreciate Ruger/Davidsons both for going through the trouble and offering this fine caliber in a Rifle!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
If anyone is still reading this thread...I think you'll find Ruger sometimes makes runs of M77 II .222's for the Australian market...Even though France has a greater population that Australia I'm sure we have a lot more shooters.... Country kids are weaned on .222's in the Australian bush....!!!

.222 Mini's ???... yep.. probably for the Euro market ...I had a Mini 14 in .222 a good few years back (thinking it would shoot like a house on fire... as all .222's I'd ever shot)...Wrong.. it didnt shoot any better than a .223.... so off it went....

BTW At present there are quite a few new Ruger Hawkeye .222's for sale in Aussie gunshops and gun websites....
Ozzie: I just returned from an extended trip out to the west coast of the United States, whereupon I visited LOTS of gunstores/sporting goods stores/gunshows.
I saw literally hundreds of Ruger bolt action Rifles and to this day the 222 Remington in my local pawn/sport shop is the only one of these Ruger 77's I have come across.
The 222 Remington is one of the top 4 centerfire cartridges of all time!
That Mini-14 in 222 Remington is something I have never seen!
Good for you and thanks for your sharing your experiences from across the pond.
Long live the 222 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
For all you guys in the know, why is the 222 so much better than the 223 and other varmint cartridges? I have scene a couple around but was told it is designed for the European market.
Thanks.
The .222 is great; not better than the .223, just as good, almost...I own/shoot/reload both... that .222 long neck is unique.

With 40 gr. bullets, you will be surprised at the varmint-knockdown of the .222.
A year or so ago I wanted to try a Tikka rifle since so much has been written about their accuracy. Wanted a .223 but the local store had a special on .222's so I got one of them. Shooting that caliber again took me back 50 years or so when I started out. Its been fun trying out some of my early loads against some of the newer powders. In the rifle I have now the 40 grain Vmax bullets seem to work the best with I4227 powder. Haven't even chronied them since I mostly shoot paper. Not worried about how fast they go as long as they go into small groups.

Jim
The Olathe Gun Shop in Kansas has one of these stainless/synthetic .222 Hawkeyes on the shelf; tag says one of 250. I'm not sure if that's total production or just what was released in the U.S. If anybody is interested, their number is 913-782-6900. (They're great folks to deal with.)
Bigwhoop: I personally would not characterize the 222 Remington as being "so much better" than the 223 Remington - its just that the 222 Remington IS a splendid cartridge.
Its very mild of recoil and I have NEVER had to replace a barrel on any of the many 222's I have owned.
I think the 222 Remington is also a tad bit MORE accurate than the 223 Remington and over the years this increase in accuracy with the 222 Remington seems to run about 1/20th of an inch better groups (5 shots at 100 yards) than with similarly equipped 223's.
Having said that, I recently fired the best group I have ever fired with an all factory stock Rifle (non-40X types), that was in caliber 223 Remington.
That Rifle was a Remington XR-100 equipped with an 8.5x25 Leupold variable scope and shooting Berger 52 grain bullets.
That group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .121"!
Personally if I were to come across two similar "good deal" Rifles in each caliber (222 & 223) I would opt for the 222 Remington.
I know the 223 has a touch more velocity and that means flatter and straighter (which are two very important characteristics in a Varmint Rifle!) but still the 222 would have me more interested.
When the fine folks at Remington "designed" the 222 Remington I do not think they had the European Market as their main motivation.
Instead I think they were trying to "horn in" on the American Varminter market which had been dominated by Winchesters various models of Rifles in calibers 22 Hornet, 218 Bee and 220 Swift.
I do not know this for fact because "I" was just 2 years old back then - but from conjecture based upon my readings of period literature and talking to older shooters than myself that IS what I have gathered.
I am happy that many Europeans and Australians still enjoy this dandy cartridge BUT I don't think Mike Walker and the other folks at Remington Arms Company had a "significant" European Market in mind when they first sat down at their drawing boards and "designed" the 222.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Mesabi: Thank you for that interesting tid-bit of information!
1 of only 250 - that just might have some collectors value to it on down the line a ways.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VarmintGuy: My pleasure! I too have a fondness for the Triple Deuce; in my case is is a mannlicher-stocked SAKO AI.
Bigwhoop,

The 222 was brought about to bridge the 22 Hornet and 220 Swift, but more so to give Remington a foothold in varmint cartridges in factory rifles. It nearly killed the Swift and Hornet......

The 222 was so successful it turned up as a popular cartridge overseas and later became more so due to restrictions on owning firearms in countries where military cartridge chamberings were prohibited.

Sadly, the 222 here has been overshadowed by the 223 since the mid to late eighties due to cheap brass and ammo.

IMO the 222 AND 222 Magnum were and are a better compromise than the 223 that has replaced them.

Where the varmint fields and targets have want for accuracy, the military has been trying to push heavier bullets to greater speeds......

The one thing about the .222 Remington is that it was top of the "totem pole" for many years in the 1950's & 60's, setting many bench rest records in it's time of glory. It is still a great varmint caliber and often very accurate with just using factory ammo. I have such a rifle and it shoots 1/2 MOA or under with Hornady Ammo in 50 grain moly bullets. It so friggin accurate out to 200 yards that it gets a bit boring sometimes!!!
Tonk: Which model and brand of Rifle is your 222 Remington?
And this - every once in a while I hear rumors that the 222 Remington still holds one of the records in the bench rest game.
I think its the all time smallest 100 yard grouping - I don't know for sure but I hear this "fact" mentioned from time to time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Tonk: Which model and brand of Rifle is your 222 Remington?
And this - every once in a while I hear rumors that the 222 Remington still holds one of the records in the bench rest game.
I think its the all time smallest 100 yard grouping - I don't know for sure but I hear this "fact" mentioned from time to time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmitGuy:

The 222 Remington stills holds the record for the smallest 100yd group ever recorded in benchrest competition.
It was shot by Mac McMillan on 9-23-1973 (on his 59th birthday).
Five shots literally into one hole = 0.000 inches as measured with a caliper with a plexiglass insert with a .22 reticle circle on it.
After inspection under a 60x microscope it still was measured at 0.000.
It was then sent around to seven different members of the NBRSA Records Committee for measurement. They decided the official measurement was to be 0.009 inches (one one-thousandth larger) for the record books.
Everyone who witnessed the group shot was disapointed and was sure it was indeed the the first and only perfect group ever shot in recorded in competition.

The brothers McMillan(Mac, Pat and Gale) are still famous around shooting circles today.
Gale stopped making a few fiberglass stocks out of his garage and are on sale here on the "fire" as we speak/type.

Mac's equipment was as follows:
A mostly McMillan rifle -- 10.5 lb Light Varmit Class
Action designed by Pat and built by Mac.
Barrel built by Pat.
Stock built by Gale.
Straight 12x Leupold converted to 24x.

Dies built by Pat used by Mac to make his own 50gr bullets out of J-4 jackets.
Remington Peters cases.
23.5 grs of BL-C powder(Lot #1).
Prototype primers that went on to become CCI BR-4 primers.

Just offhand, I'd have to agree that the "Triple-Deuce" is capable of fine accuracy!

Best Regards,
Ted
PaleRider: Ted, Thank you very much for the detailed synopsis of that 222 Remington record.
I am simply going to print out your reply and tuck it in my records - as my memory is not what it once was!
For that "feat" to be done with a 24 power scope and a 10.5 pound Rifle is just flat out astounding!
The record has been intact for 37 years now - again just astounding.
Thanks again for the info.
Long live the "triple deuce"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I also like the 222. I own 2 of them. 1 being a 1962 700 20" ADL 4 digit serial number which I just recently purchased about 5 months ago. It was an estate sale. Hardly used. The second one is a Remington 600 with vent rib completely stock. Both love the factory Remington 50gr pill.

Ken
I doubt the 222 Rem is any better than a 223, and it certainly isn't as fast with any of the 22 caliber bullets so it won't shoot as flat, at least from a technical standpoint..

All that said, One of my favorite varmint guns is a .222 Rem and it does about anything I ask of it, even shot a lot of deer with it and the 60 gr. Hornady over the years, as did all my kids..I don't presently have a .223. and may never own another one, who knows..

To me the 222 is like my 7x57, 375 H&H, 9.3x62m that is it's part of the nostalgia and that's important to me. These guns are old friends. I doubt that I will ever see an instance wherein the I will wish I had a .223 as opposed to my 222, it hasn't happened yet and if I miss a rockchuck or PD because I didn't have a 223, I guess I can live with it! smile smile Both however are excellent choices and if I were a new shooter out there then I'd probably opt for a .223, its as good as a 22-250 for that matter!! smile smile
© 24hourcampfire