Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I was shopping along at one of my favorite Gunshops this morning when I see on the rack a Rifle in caliber 222 Remington according to the hang tag!
I was shocked and interested and at first did not recognize the Rifle by its stock and metal finish.
I got it down and sure enough it turned out to be a Ruger Model 77 "HawkEye" in caliber 222 Remington!
It was a nifty looking and handling Rifle with a sturdy feeling synthetic stock.
The finish was a grayish matte type - certainly it would be non-glare!
The barrel was 22 inches long and of sporter weight.
The action worked relatively smoothly and the Rifle came with rings for the M-77's integral base type action.
The price was $576.00 for this new Rifle and I did not think that was to high - high but NOT to high.
I have to say thank you to the Ruger folks for offering this fine caliber for the "walking Varminter" crowd!
There is EXCELLENT brass available for this caliber and the brass as we all know lasts forever in this caliber.
I see NO reason why this Ruger Rifle would NOT be capable of excellent accuracy with a good 4x12 or 3.5x10 scope on it!
The trigger was not to bad either!
I could NOT find an offering from the Remington folks in 222 caliber at all in their 2,010 catalog.
Hmm....?
Thanks again Ruger folks - I hope this model sells well for you all! What a great "walking Varminter" or "starter Rifle" this 222 HawkEye should be!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
awesome, good to know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I'm glad someone is chambering it. I've got a .222 and I wouldn't trade it for all the .223's made. It's a great little cartridge and deserves to be way more popular.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We sure do like our .222 Remington caliber CZ rifles with set triggers! The only problem we have had lately is finding Hornady factory ammo in 50 grain Moly. It seems like nobody has that particular ammo. Now I suppose I am just going to have to reload our own for these rifles.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its not in Ruger's catalog.

Special run from a distributor?

IC B2

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've read that Ruger 222 rifles (77, #1, mini-14) sold in this country are usually overruns from an order from France, where military calibers aren't legal for hunting.

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That little package of truffles in with the scope rings is how you tell...

wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bcp
I've read that Ruger 222 rifles (77, #1, mini-14) sold in this country are usually overruns from an order from France, where military calibers aren't legal for hunting.

Bruce

Imagine, France not wanting any military chamberings for civilian arms for hunting. Kinda sets the tone for the country as a whole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their are as many COMMIES in France as their are in North Korea!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I was shopping along at one of my favorite Gunshops this morning when I see on the rack a Rifle in caliber 222 Remington according to the hang tag!
I was shocked and interested and at first did not recognize the Rifle by its stock and metal finish.
I got it down and sure enough it turned out to be a Ruger Model 77 "HawkEye" in caliber 222 Remington!
It was a nifty looking and handling Rifle with a sturdy feeling synthetic stock.
The finish was a grayish matte type - certainly it would be non-glare!
The barrel was 22 inches long and of sporter weight.
The action worked relatively smoothly and the Rifle came with rings for the M-77's integral base type action.
The price was $576.00 for this new Rifle and I did not think that was to high - high but NOT to high.
I have to say thank you to the Ruger folks for offering this fine caliber for the "walking Varminter" crowd!
There is EXCELLENT brass available for this caliber and the brass as we all know lasts forever in this caliber.
I see NO reason why this Ruger Rifle would NOT be capable of excellent accuracy with a good 4x12 or 3.5x10 scope on it!
The trigger was not to bad either!
I could NOT find an offering from the Remington folks in 222 caliber at all in their 2,010 catalog.
Hmm....?
Thanks again Ruger folks - I hope this model sells well for you all! What a great "walking Varminter" or "starter Rifle" this 222 HawkEye should be!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Did you buy it?

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hawk1: The gunshop where this Rifle is at is closed on Mondays - I will check it out tomorrow and see if the owner of the shop is aware of it being a non-catalogued item.
Maybe I should add this little gem to my arsenal as an investment?
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
28lx: Negative, I did not buy it (as yet anyway!).
I have a wonderfully accurate pair of Remington 700 Classic's in caliber 222 Remington for my "walking around 222's".
I am trying to remember the price I believe it was $539.00?
I will double check that tomorrow afternoon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are still new 222 out they're not made this year the 223 has cut way down on a demand for them. I found a couple of the Remington 799 and my friend even bought one in a 22 Hornet and loves it. Tried to find one of them lately? The new Icon I bought back in November had been on the shelf since the first year they came out. Four digit serial #50XX. If you want a good 222 get a Savage and let Shilen make you a barrel. No problem to change out and their best match barrels are under 400 dollars. My brother in law took a long action and with the change of a bolt head and barrel has a tack driver. It was one of the much older single shots but it works well. The round looks strange laying in the action, almost like a toothpick in the forest. If they are going to stop making them and I had one or wanted one it would be a good time to start stocking up on some brass, it's not fun trying to make it out of 223. As the economy shrinks we may see more and more calibers that fade. If they don't sell well no one wants products on the shelf that they can't move so some of the old favorites may become a thing of the past.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I went to my pawn/sport shop just before it closed this afternoon.
And like someone intimated/guessed the HawkEye Model 77 in 222 Remington is not a catalogued item and was made in a special run for the jobber/wholesaler "Davidson's"!
The price is $536.00 and I kind of like the nifty little rig.
I did not learn how many of these "limited" edition 222's were made though - no one knew right off hand.
If it was 100 Rifles I would be tempted to buy it and tuck it away.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd buy it, but alas its not in the catalog...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I couldnt find it on their website, or Davidsons website...cause I was thinkin' I'd buy it too!!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Saw one on GB, NIB, but the guy thought it was gold plated.....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll bet....I want one to shoot...not one to sit in a box and appreciate...I'm sure you are the same....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Oh yeah.....

My first 222 became my second 222 Magnum...

Still have 2 222's......and I am my own grandpa (grins)

I would like a Ruger in the deuce.

Thought about a Mini-14 in 222, but they just ain't me.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My mentor is a fellow who likes to find stuff new, unfired, Colt's particularly.....

We have fun. I expect to get all of his "worthless" stuff, or at least have a crack at it first (grins).

Life's too short to let someone else shoot your guns.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 46 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.