Home
Posted By: Jason280 Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/06/20
EMAILS ONLY!
EMAILS ONLY!

Please send ALL messages to [email protected]

Kimber (Oregon) M96 in 6.5x55, built with an 1899 Gustav M96 receiver/barrel and Ramline synthetic stock. Drilled/tapped for scope bases, comes with 2pc weaver bases. Timney aftermarket trigger, and low profile safety. Safety does contact bell of scope when engaged, but still locks firing pin. I *believe* these guns were offered by Kimber in the 90's, and are decent shooters. SCOPE AND RINGS ARE NOT INCLUDED.

$450 + shipping

PayPal (discreet) or USPS Postal MO only

[email protected]

Will consider trades for: (+/- cash where needed)
-Rifles in .250-3000 or .257 Roberts
-T/C Contender easy open frames, barrels, etc
-hunting scopes (Bushnell Elite 4200, Sightron SII or Big Sky, Leupold 6x42 or 6x38, etc)
-Ruger 3 screw revolvers
-H&R Buffalo Classic .45-70

I will consider other trades, email me.

[email protected]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/06/20
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/06/20
Tag....
tag
Posted By: koger Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/08/20
I have a 45/70 Buffalo classic, that I will trade even up, with your rings, depending on the bore condition of your barrel, seeing rust on the reciever and bolt. Each one pays the shipping. Mine is in very good shape, case is still goot on the receiver, original rear sight, front sight has a tube with a bead in it, works well. Wood is in good shape. you can contact meat 606-307-2079 or email me at [email protected]
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/08/20
We sold truck loads of these in the late 90's when Kimber was trying to break into the rifle world.everyone that bought one said they were shooters. Bump for a good shooter
Originally Posted by gemby58
We sold truck loads of these in the late 90's when Kimber was trying to break into the rifle world.everyone that bought one said they were shooters. Bump for a good shooter

Fail. These were first converted in early 2005, prior to that, "Kimber" was not anything but rifles since the early 80s.
Posted By: PSH Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Fail. These were first converted in early 2005, prior to that, "Kimber" was not anything but rifles since the early 80s.

I got no dog in this fight, but I ran a pawnshop from 1987 to 1994 and I can remember seeing these in the gun rags that came in. Ramline stock and rebarrelled. Seems to me they came in other short action calibers, and I always thought it was dumb i didn't pick one or two up because they were cheap. I'm by no means a kimber expert, but it seems to me they left Oregon and went to NY prior to 2000. Regardless, nice lassie rifle.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/09/20

We were selling the Kimbers in late 90's, we got them in 6.5x55, 22-250, 220 swift, 243, 308
Posted By: PSH Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/09/20
I do recall them in 22 250 and 308 as well
Great little deer rifle. Very accurate. Friend has one I’ve tried to talk him out of several times.
I bought one in 6.5x55 back in the late 90s from one of the Carter's Country stores in Houston. Added a Timney trigger. Was a sweet shooter with just about anything I fed it, and a moderate charge of Re-22 along with the 140 grain Hornady was consistently in the 0.7 to 0.8" range for 3 shots at 100 yards. That's one rifle I regret parting with.
Originally Posted by PSH

I got no dog in this fight, but I ran a pawnshop from 1987 to 1994 and I can remember seeing these in the gun rags that came in. Ramline stock and rebarrelled. Seems to me they came in other short action calibers, and I always thought it was dumb i didn't pick one or two up because they were cheap. I'm by no means a kimber expert, but it seems to me they left Oregon and went to NY prior to 2000. Regardless, nice lassie rifle.

I personally set up the facility where the conversions occurred in Colton Oregon. However, I partied a lot and my brain missed a decade. Indeed the conversions started early 1995. Sorry dudes

We were selling the Kimbers in late 90's, we got them in 6.5x55, 22-250, 220 swift, 243, 308

Yes. You are correct, I was tripping. Sorry. Before pistols for sure though... They were prototyping 1911s in the spring of '95 btw at Kimber of America.

Kimber of Oregon 1982ish-1991.
Kimber of America 1994-1996.
Kimber Manufacturing 1996-current.

Where the hell was I between 95 and 05? Oh yah, college. Carry-on.
Originally Posted by PSH

I personally set up the facility where the conversions occurred in Colton Oregon. However, I partied a lot and my brain missed a decade. Indeed the conversions started early 1995. Sorry dudes

Its ok where all getting old lol, I just knew it was late 90's that I bought a truck load of these, I confirmed that by my hard bound book. The only thing I didn't like about these rifles where the ram line stocks, they even came with walnut stocks i think from [bleep] or Richards. I have a 22-250 with a walnut stock with a 26" fluted barrel from kimber, if I remember right it was a 1/2" shooter, havet fired it in 20 years. Counted how many I sold 681, thats a truck load
somebody buy this off this man, there great shooters, heck of a deal
Having been purveyors of good walnut, the Ramlines sickened us on the crew. $6 each they got them for. Thru May 1995 all stayed 6.5x55s. The Swedes made some dandy barrels.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/10/20
Still available... wink

[email protected]
What was fun, one of those if I only knew then deals, was when two 28' conexes showed up stacked with hundreds of these rifles fresh from customs. Employees choice, no limit, $68 iirc..

Bump for a capable Swede and GoodGuy seller.
I have one of theses in a Swede. Good shooter and a solid rifle. IMO, it’s worth $450.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/12/20
The brain child of Leslie Edelman IIRC, everyone else involved was not nearly as thrilled.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/12/20

I think the 96 conversions were offered well before 2005. I would be interested in the barrels they used ...beside the 6.5's
Originally Posted by 10at6

I think the 96 conversions were offered well before 2005. I would be interested in the barrels they used ...beside the 6.5's

You are right, that was addressed above. I was wroooonnnngggggg by a decade. Early 1995, Sooooorrrrryyyyyyy.

Wilson maybe. (Says guy with proven faulty memory.)

Bump
Originally Posted by cas6969
The brain child of Leslie Edelman IIRC, everyone else involved was not nearly as thrilled.

LOL

Although there were definitely dollar signs flashing in Greg and Jack's eyes!

Mentioned elsewhere. They pulled me from stock work to be a handyman to set things up for this Fall 94, back in the Colton facility that had previously been used for KoO expansion 88-91. Working along side Jack, the brains of the operation, is a cherished memory. He'd send me to Platt Electric to buy some chit and the electricians would be like WTF, you can't install that! I was pretty wild, 25, dude. Ol' Jack tig welded the bluing tanks himself. I never did hear of his demise but gotta figure so. He was producing, prototyping Warne Rings then in Clackamas. He liked that a vertical split allowed function with one less part than horizontal split rings. Helping Greg per usual. We were getting walnut dust all over his nrw CNCs and he was eager to move the Kimber of America woodshop to Colton as well.

That Riverside Fire is nipping at the heels of that old factory building which originated as a saw blade factory in the 50s.

For amusement. I originally got hired on, after all the other available locals, in 88 soon after moving back to the area. I would drive up FAST every day in my blown motor smoking oil leaking 63 Corvair asking for that boss guy as I couldn't remember the name Greg, dude. Eventually Greg, a fairly party friendly sort, took a liking to me and said I could help the landscape lady dig the koi pond. I was wild but hardworking. After a few days I was invited to join the SwingShift woodshop, where the two of us would work up 75 Govt 82 stocks a night so the third guy could go dink around on the machinery making special things. In a couple of months, onto dayshift making sporter stocks. The rest is history.

Bump
Swede collectors/purists may cringe a little, but bottom line these are really nice deer rifles. I just have too many right now or I would be buying this too - especially at that price.

My earliest is 1903, so it would be really cool to hunt with a rifle born in 1899!

Good luck on the sale, somebody will be getting a nice rifle
Carl Gustav Stad too.
absolutely - an Obendorf or later Husky are very nice too, but Gustav with the crown always seem more refined... I really don't need another, but this is grinding on me....
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/12/20
Originally Posted by 10at6

You are right, that was addressed above. I was wroooonnnngggggg by a decade. Early 1995, Sooooorrrrryyyyyyy.

Wilson maybe. (Says guy with proven faulty memory.)

Bump

Was Wilson barrels
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
absolutely - an Obendorf or later Husky are very nice too, but Gustav with the crown always seem more refined... I really don't need another, but this is grinding on me....

Being relatively poor, I couldn't stock up on loads of them. I sorted through the conexes and found an unissued all matching Carl Gustav Stad from 1907, the year my paternal great grandfather emigrated from Sweden. I suck, and sold it a few years later. Nary a ding on it. Kicking self. Family name being Carl too. Dohhh.
Jason is a pretty good guy for letting me reminisce!

Bump
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/12/20
Only one I ever saw in person was a VZ24 .280 in the used rack of an LGS. Stll had the military guard with the swivel hole, plus a miltary trigger by the feel of it. Stainless barrel IIRC.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/12/20
I think the 6.5X55s were just turned down military barrels.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/12/20
I worked for Kimber of America and Greg Warne in the front office in Clackamas,OR. 1995-till they closed shop there and moved to Yonkers, NY.

These rifles were sold then. They're a good solid rifle.

fwiw, the Kimber 1911's were ALL manufactured in Yonkers and then shipped to Clackamas to be distributed from there. They were stamped Clackamas because they thought it better sales appeal.

Yeah, Jack was a good man but mama held the purse strings to the whole op.
Originally Posted by Huntz

Of course.

Bump

Oh, what were these Swede 96s twisted?
Posted By: Huntz Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/13/20

Of course.

Bump

I think 1-7.

Of course.

Bump

I think 1-7.

Those Scandinavias were ahead of the curve.

Wanting one now.

Bump

Saw this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876519036
I always wanted one of these.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/14/20

Of course.

Bump

I think 1-7.

Those Scandinavias were ahead of the curve.

Wanting one now.

Bump

Saw this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876519036

I stand corrected .The twist was 1-7.817,they used a 156 grain round nosed bullet.Thoses babies are super long and most 96 Mausers have a long throat to accommodate that bullet.I think later they went to a 140ish grain bullet.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Kimber M96 6.5x55 Swedish - 09/17/20
Rifle has been sold...
Originally Posted by Jason280
Rifle has been sold...

Congrats!
© 24hourcampfire