Home
This 742 carbine is virtually mint, with only the slightest signs of wear. A 99% gun if there ever was. Made in 1980. It is chambered in .30-06. It has an 18.5" barrel with a single tiny ding on top behind front sight. The stocks are flawless, as far as I can tell. It is topped with a Weaver V7-1 2.5-7.5 scope in a tip-off mount. Crisp optics and duplex reticle. Nice woven sling. More photos than I want to post here available to your email. Asking $800 SHIPPED.

Attached picture IMG_20210428_125146577.jpg.8f28ac89e48624a917de48f0668ddf30.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20210428_124817429.jpg.a899188056b6a84d24b5c8266f8bc9c7.jpg
Interested, where are you located?
Clinton, AR. I ship guns regularly and pack them to survive the USPS system. Email me at [email protected] for more photos, etc. I might not get right back to you, though.
Any chance we could get a picture inside the receiver where the bolt slides back. thx.
Originally Posted by Dusty246
Any chance we could get a picture inside the receiver where the bolt slides back. thx.
Sure.

Attached picture IMG_20210428_125833475.jpg
Magazine shows very little wear.

Attached picture IMG_20210428_130720514.jpg
From the bottom looking up (rails) preferably
Do you have references from other forums? Just joined yesterday and selling two rifles.
What Jahrs said.
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Do you have references from other forums? Just joined yesterday and selling two rifles.
Certainly. This site was recommended to me as an alternative to Gunbroker which wants to bleed me dry. But You can check my feedback on Gunbroker under username rudybolla. Guns for sale there, with opening bids essentially same as here, but buyers pay shipping. Also, inquire on the Single Action Shooting Society classifieds page. Ask if Dusty Morningwood is a good pard to deal with. Ebay also rudybolla. Nothing for sale there now, I don't believe.
Welcome aboard...

Nice rifle!

Don't see Carbines very often..

From the bottom looking up (rails) preferably

How about lying the carbine down bottom of the receiver face up with a quarter (heads up) next to the receiver while zooming in on the rails that the bolt rides on.
Not that I don’t believe you and who you are just a lot of scammers around!
Lots of scammers, to be sure. And you? Just a tire kicker or are you actually interested in the carbine? Pretty elaborate scam I am running. Should probably run more high dollar stuff with my skills. I can take photos later today. Any particular year quarter you want? Sorry. Not gonna dig around in grubby change jar. Will use first one I come up with. I have a giant brush pile to burn and have to meet the volunteer FD at 7.
Originally Posted by harleyguy02
Welcome aboard...

Nice rifle!

Don't see Carbines very often..

Thanks. Nicest one I have seen. I'm a Husqvarna guy myself and mostly hunt with my model 458 topped with vintage Pecar Berlin scope. Yeah. I'm a fudd and proud of it
Me, nope not interested. Have a 308 carbine like yours but I am familiar with them and what to look for. Their only good for 200-300 rounds and then the carrier rails need to be replaced. I am looking out for the rest of the potential buyers. No hard feelings but frankly you should be understanding and accommodating being new and selling on your first post.
Me, nope not interested. Have a 308 carbine like yours but I am familiar with them and what to look for. Their only good for 200-300 rounds and then the carrier rails need to be replaced. I am looking out for the rest of the potential buyers. No hard feelings but frankly you should be understanding and accommodating being new and selling on your first post.

GOOD FOR 200-300 SHOTS? What a line of bullshit! Nope, your not interested, just want to give the Guy GRIEF.
Looking out for the rest of potential buyers ? Another line of bullshit!
Keep the insides of the gun CLEAN--NO PROBLEMS!

Dirty Harry
Originally Posted by dirtyharry

GOOD FOR 200-300 SHOTS? What a line of bullshit! Nope, your not interested, just want to give the Guy GRIEF.

Dirty Harry

Thanks Dirty Harry. Always a few on every forum who have nothing better to do.
Their only good for 200-300 rounds and then the carrier rails need to be replaced.

I agree. I spoke with a number of reputable gunsmiths while trying to help a friend with his badly galled 742. None of the gunsmiths would touch the rifle. Remington screwed up the heat treat and had poor engineers involved in the development of these rifles. Friends don't let friends shoot a Rem 742.
Originally Posted by Dinny
Their only good for 200-300 rounds and then the carrier rails need to be replaced.

I agree. I spoke with a number of reputable gunsmiths while trying to help a friend with his badly galled 742. None of the gunsmiths would touch the rifle. Remington screwed up the heat treat and had poor engineers involved in the development of these rifles. Friends don't let friends shoot a Rem 742.

I have a REM. 742 -3006, BOUGHT IT IN THE 60's, fired well over 100 rounds a year, times 55 years=5500 rounds!
I KEEP it clean(inside&out) it still looks good,and it still groups around one&half in. at 100 yds.
And it does not jam. I also have owned at least Five more 742,s over the years and no TROUBLE!
JUST KEEP THEM CLEAN !

Dirty Harry
Originally Posted by Rolling_Block_Guy
Originally Posted by dirtyharry

Dirty Harry

Thanks Dirty Harry. Always a few on every forum who have nothing better to do.

Always a few douchbags on every forum.

Do you understand we’re talking 30’6 here and not a 6mm?
Originally Posted by Dinny

Yes it’s a well known problem. Supposedly corrected somewhat with the 7400 and model four but still best to see pics of rails on a hard hitting caliber!
Lots of scammers, to be sure. And you? Just a tire kicker or are you actually interested in the carbine? Pretty elaborate scam I am running. Should probably run more high dollar stuff with my skills. I can take photos later today. Any particular year quarter you want? Sorry. Not gonna dig around in grubby change jar. Will use first one I come up with. I have a giant brush pile to burn and have to meet the volunteer FD at 7.

1964 would be 👍
There were big problems with the 740. The 742 fixed those problems. I'm surprised to hear from any one who says they wear out. The 7400 was even better rifle, in my opinion - simpler with less parts.

GOOD LUCK with your SALE!

Dirty Harry.

[/quote]
What slays me about these forums is the know it all's who come in and step all over a thread for something they have no interest in. As if other potential buyers are children being preyed upon or aren't sophisticated enough to think for themselves. The 742 rifles and carbines have a strong and long track record for durability and reliability, in the hands of competent shooters. In the hands of idiots, not so much.
What slays me about these forums is the know it all's who come in and step all over a thread for something they have no interest in. As if other potential buyers are children being preyed upon or aren't sophisticated enough to think for themselves. The 742 rifles and carbines have a strong and long track record for durability and reliability, in the hands of competent shooters. In the hands of idiots, not so much.

smile

Jim

Get over it sock puppet or scammer whichever name more clearly fits you. Quit complaining about something that you should have posted in the first place.
Dusty246 asked for pics and I was clarifying what he wanted or needed. Stop with the sore butt and post up a pic of the rails with a quarter next to the receiver and let’s see the condition of your carbine. good luck with the sale!
Welcome to the 'fire!
I was interested in the carbine and have worked on these guns as a hobby taking them completely apart trying to figure them out as I grew up hunting with my mentors, WWII vets, that carried 30'06s up in Remington country, upstate NY. I've been around alot of these guns and owned a few. Good luck with the sale.
Jahrs is as good as they come.

If a new guy wants to come on here selling his wares for free, he might be a bit more accommodating and a bit less of a dick.
How am I a Dick kingston? Jahrs was being a complete tool. Asked for everything but a sperm sample. Maybe he secretly wanted one of those, too. I dunno. I resent the tone. He asked for references. I gave references. Did he or any of the others defending the simple minded victims of my "scam" check those? I suspect not. Anyone actually interested in the carbine and additional pics, PM me and I will gladly accommodate you. Should I include a photo of me with the gun and today's New York Times? Seems this campfire is surrounded by people who have nothing better to do than give newcomers grief. I need to have some words with the person who recommended this site.

Was the photo I posted not what you wanted?

He wants to see the top of the receiver taken from the bottom of the receiver so the rails that the bolt rides on can be checked.
Remove the magazine and trigger group and take a picture from the bottom showing the rails on the top of the receiver, like this:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by wink_man

He wants to see the top of the receiver taken from the bottom of the receiver so the rails that the bolt rides on can be checked.
Remove the magazine and trigger group and take a picture from the bottom showing the rails on the top of the receiver, like this:

Ah! A little more detail would have been useful, but I got distracted by one of the Hall Monitors.

Attached picture IMG_20210518_134944410.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20210518_134922371.jpg
Looks good.
Nice rifle.

Shoot the lighter bullets and it should run fine for a long while.

Heavies in a .30-06 are known to chew the rails. Not BS

Seller took pics of the insides, thats stand up right there smile

Good luck w sale. They are fun rifles (had a couple over the yrs).
Ran 150's in mine and they never jammed.
How am I a Dick kingston? Jahrs was being a complete tool. Asked for everything but a sperm sample. Maybe he secretly wanted one of those, too. I dunno. I resent the tone. He asked for references. I gave references. Did he or any of the others defending the simple minded victims of my "scam" check those? I suspect not. Anyone actually interested in the carbine and additional pics, PM me and I will gladly accommodate you. Should I include a photo of me with the gun and today's New York Times? Seems this campfire is surrounded by people who have nothing better to do than give newcomers grief. I need to have some words with the person who recommended this site.

If I was being a tool I apologize, thank you for getting it done.

Wasn’t hard to understand was it, thanks for the pic of your Rem. 👍
Any pics of this rifle? Location? Price?
Originally Posted by Stihl27

Thats funny.
Originally Posted by Stihl27

None.
Bocajnala. Did ya look at the first post? Don't lie to the guy. Stihl 27. I put two photos in original post. Price is there. Rifle located in Clinton, AR. Ships to FFL with asking price.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Nice rifle.

Hookeye nails it right there as far as what damages these rifles, but of course, he understands them.

I dunno, I see pics of the complete gun, pics of the receiver through the bolt opening, pic of the magazine, and when he realized the actual pictures of the inside of the receiver that were wanted he immediately put 2 pics of it up. So I don't get the "no pics" comments.

He's willing to send more pics to anyone interested. The price, location etc., are all there. Damn good price for a Carbine too.

He's getting his balls busted UNnecessarily as far as I can see.

If I didn't just buy a 7400 in .270 two weeks ago I'd have bought this once seeing the inside of the receiver, it is indeed a pristine 742..

And the Carbine is way more desirable then the standard model with the 22 inch barrel.

Free bump again for a good rifle !!!!!!!
Originally Posted by hookeye
Nice rifle.

Hookeye nails it right there as far as what damages these rifles, but of course, he understands them.

I dunno, I see pics of the complete gun, pics of the receiver through the bolt opening, pic of the magazine, and when he realized the actual pictures of the inside of the receiver that were wanted he immediately put 2 pics of it up. So I don't get the "no pics" comments.

He's willing to send more pics to anyone interested. The price, location etc., are all there. Damn good price for a Carbine too.

He's getting his balls busted UNnecessarily as far as I can see.

If I didn't just buy a 7400 in .270 two weeks ago I'd have bought this once seeing the inside of the receiver, it is indeed a pristine 742..

And the Carbine is way more desirable then the standard model with the 22 inch barrel.

Free bump again for a good rifle !!!!!!!

Thank you, wink man. My faith in humanity is restored. Not sure I have ever had a post trolled this way on any other forum. But there are always a few. If anyone still thinks the boobs in the thread are justified in thinking possible scam, here is the link for the gun on Gunbroker. My feedback tell the tale. NOTE: The opening bid does not include shipping. BuyNow does. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901076805. Would rather sell here, as it saves me GB fees.
THAT is one nice gun. Worth EVERY penny.....................................Plenty of pics on the GB auction site. Look there and buy here.
The man has a gun for sale. He described it honestly and didn't misrepresent it.

If you aren't interested in the gun, it's bad form to talk sheet about the gun.

Instead of playing internet cop and breaking his balls, best to just STFU.....
OK. I will offer it here for $750 SHIPPED. Gun show coming up where it will sell, but I hate toting rifles around. It will continue on GB at that price until ad expires in July.
Last Call this forum. $700 SHIPPED.
Good luck on the sale of a very nice Carbine!
I will take this carbine and scope combo for $700.00 shipped. PM coming,

Rich
Rolling Block Guy, check your messages, you have a PM. I will take your carbine and scope for $700 shipped as stated earlier in the above post.

Thank you Sir,

Rich
Thanks. Mark as SOLD. PM answered.
Rifle arrived today, SUPERB condition, great packing job, great communication, thank you Rolling_Block_Guy,

Rich
© 24hourcampfire