Home
Wondering how an after market muzzle brake factors into the resale price of a used rifle. Plus or minus? And how much? This is a removable brake, but it didn’t come with a thread protector for when the brake would be removed.

Specifically, a somewhat collectible rifle - a New Haven model 70 stainless classic.

Some consider it an added value if they prefer a muzzle brake on a bigger bore. But it obviously is a major alteration from original condition.

I just don’t know how much, plus or minus, to factor it in to a sale price if I sell the rifle. Is there a rule of thumb?

Cheers
Unless it is the factory BOSS system then I would definitely say it would decrease value especially on a scarce or out of production rifle. I don’t know a good rule of thumb for how much though
Was the barrel threaded originally? If not, I would add the cost of the threading and brake in with your price. Maybe say, “if you don’t want the brake, deduct $x.xx.”

Barrel threading is a DEFINITE PLUS for me because I prefer to shoot with suppressors.

You can always come down on price. Kinda hard to go up after someone claims it.

That’s what I’d do anyway…
No. Was not threaded originally
I would add 200.00, about the price of a brake installed, shooters will probably be happy with it, collectors probably not so much
For the life of me, I do NOT understand the need for a muzzle brake/ suppressor? Maybe knitting would be a good alternative to shooting a gun.
Maybe some people do not like recoil and loud noise, and some people have no feeling in their body and their hearing is already shot. To each their own
I'd guess the threaded barrel with brake would decrease the value of that particular hunting rifle.
If im not keeping it "forever" I would not alter a factory barrel based on resale disaster. If it's a forever gun to you, do it. If your going to sell it, don't do it. My .02
I’ve been shopping for a rifle and I want a brake. Anything without is not an option.
But I’m not buying anything collectible I’m buying a hunting rifle and don’t want the [bleep] kicked out of me
What caliber? There is a reason so many rifles are threaded right from the factory , people want them. Do you have the box? Paperwork? All these things add value to the rifle. I have thought about adding a brake to my classic in 338 stainless. I have the box and all the paperwork so I probably wont.
If buying I would rather have it original.
So I think it’s going to come down to the individual and what they are looking for. Some guys will go “ oh its got a brake” and others will go “ Hey Its Got a brake”. Priced right it wont matter, there is a butt for every seat as my dad would say.
Oh and I bet you can get a thread protector on one of the auction sights.
I only own one rifle with a brake a Kleinguenther k15 improved in a 270 weatherby mag It came from Kleinguenther that way... I’m sure it’s a kdf brake Wasn’t crazy about the look but I adore the rifle it’s beyond accurate and the recoil is comparable to a 243 I wouldn’t dare take it off v have never shot it without hearing protection.....:
I have an open mind regarding suppressors, as they definitely have their uses for some, maybe even me someday, so I didn’t avoid some new rifles that came threaded. I detest brakes on anything larger than a .22 LR or less than something like a .50, and carefully removed one that came on a .308 and put it carefully away.

Personally, I’d be wary of an aftermarket threading unless I go to examine or shoot it, or the identity of the smith was known, as they do get futzed up on occasion. It would definitely affect the value of anything “collectible”, though I don’t regard the NH Classics as such myself.
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
For the life of me, I do NOT understand the need for a muzzle brake/ suppressor? Maybe knitting would be a good alternative to shooting a gun.
I've been shooting suppressed since 2015 and I can't stand to shoot any other way. Once you get a suppressor, your biggest regret is that you didn't get one sooner.
Agree with Pappy about who did the barrel threading. Treaded for a break is one thing but if you put a suppressor on the barrel, everything has to be perfect to avoid a baffle strike / poor accuracy. Most shooters do not like muzzle breaks and I would never buy an aftermarket threaded barrel with a break. I fear you would need to offer a big discount to make a sale.
Thanks everyone. I have plenty of information to go on
Wouldn’t buy or want a gun with a muzzle brake
This might be of help:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963767131
Originally Posted by turbine1
There is a lot more going on there than the brake. Like the two holes on on the barrel with what looks like pitting and the sight blank missing sights
I prefer a brake personally on my hunting rifles for several reasons. I would see it as a plus unless it's on a classic rifle.
It kinda depend on a few factors
If it a big kicker it may help
The sale
A varmint rifle may help the sale
If it’s a say 270 or any standard cal. It will defiantly hurt
Also depends on how nicely the brake was installed.
A brake on a 6.5 Swede seems like a waste. If you like the rifle, it could be an opportunity to buy at a good price, cut the brake and threads off. Get the pitting repaired, action blueprinted, cerakote, put it back together with a good bedding job, and you could have a heck of a rifle that looks fairly stock but will probably shoot twice as good with a 21” barrel instead of 22”
I wouldn’t even worry about the slightly shorter barrel and the 25 fps velocity loss. From what I hear all the time you can probably load up some 199 grain .264 Berger or something and it will probably only drop about 2 feet at 1000 yards when you are out hunting 😁
And for what it’s worth, I went through this same dilemma when I wrecked on a snowmobile with a 5 digit featherweight classic strapped to my back. No brake, but I damaged the muzzle a little. I did these exact steps on a 280. I didn’t give a shizzzz about the resale value because I will never sell it.
A Muzzle Brake on a Rifle is like a Poly Choke or Cutts on a Shotgun.
It Reduces its Value { A LOT }, BUT, once in a while You may meet a Guy
that likes either one, BUT, I do not know any one who would Admit that
HE Likes Them.

Dirty Harry
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
My neighbors prefer me shooting suppressed. It keeps them from complaining and calling the cops on me so I don’t mind it. My wife prefers me shooting suppressed, especially if she is working. My folks on the front of the place prefer me shooting suppressed, especially if they are napping. And shooting suppressed at the range is better for anyone around. It’s doesn’t always have to be about me. wink
I would like to get a suppressor.I have no use for a muzzle brake as nothing I shoot now is big enough to need one and I would like to keep what hearing I have left.I think a muzzle brake is a detriment to a rifles value.
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Wondering how an after market muzzle brake factors into the resale price of a used rifle. Plus or minus? And how much? This is a removable brake, but it didn’t come with a thread protector for when the brake would be removed.

Specifically, a somewhat collectible rifle - a New Haven model 70 stainless classic.

Some consider it an added value if they prefer a muzzle brake on a bigger bore. But it obviously is a major alteration from original condition.

I just don’t know how much, plus or minus, to factor it in to a sale price if I sell the rifle. Is there a rule of thumb?

Cheers

It decreases the value of the rifle. Even though the classic is not as collectible as a pre 64, they are still desirable to collectors when they are in all original condition. When I see one with a brake on it, I always say what a stupid fu ck that put that on there, and generally keep walking. Those rifles are always priced lower, when I see them locally. However, sometimes you get someone that thinks they upgraded the rifle and wants more money on places like gunbroker. Even cutting the barrel and messing with the crown reduces value sometimes. Depending on the quality of work. There's one in the classifieds here that is an example of that. It's only had 1" cut off of it, but it's been cut. I asked why just 1" and the seller said something to the affect that the crown was damaged. What he didn't know was some guys would rather have a 23-24" barrel vs the 25" that he reduced it to. If you are going to cut it, cut it to suit more peoples needs and think of versatility and resale value. However, he has that rifle priced right, considering it has a nice Mcmillan on it as well. If I needed a 300WM, I'd be on that one like stink on a turd..
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Originally Posted by turbine1
There is a lot more going on there than the brake. Like the two holes on on the barrel with what looks like pitting and the sight blank missing sights

It's also not described properly. They are calling it a "classic", but it is an XTR push feed. Whoever bought that rifle was not the brightest around.
© 24hourcampfire