Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wondering how an after market muzzle brake factors into the resale price of a used rifle. Plus or minus? And how much? This is a removable brake, but it didn’t come with a thread protector for when the brake would be removed.

Specifically, a somewhat collectible rifle - a New Haven model 70 stainless classic.

Some consider it an added value if they prefer a muzzle brake on a bigger bore. But it obviously is a major alteration from original condition.

I just don’t know how much, plus or minus, to factor it in to a sale price if I sell the rifle. Is there a rule of thumb?

Cheers

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Unless it is the factory BOSS system then I would definitely say it would decrease value especially on a scarce or out of production rifle. I don’t know a good rule of thumb for how much though

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Was the barrel threaded originally? If not, I would add the cost of the threading and brake in with your price. Maybe say, “if you don’t want the brake, deduct $x.xx.”

Barrel threading is a DEFINITE PLUS for me because I prefer to shoot with suppressors.

You can always come down on price. Kinda hard to go up after someone claims it.

That’s what I’d do anyway…

Last edited by Joe_S; 01/05/23.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
No. Was not threaded originally

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would add 200.00, about the price of a brake installed, shooters will probably be happy with it, collectors probably not so much

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the life of me, I do NOT understand the need for a muzzle brake/ suppressor? Maybe knitting would be a good alternative to shooting a gun.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe some people do not like recoil and loud noise, and some people have no feeling in their body and their hearing is already shot. To each their own

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd guess the threaded barrel with brake would decrease the value of that particular hunting rifle.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If im not keeping it "forever" I would not alter a factory barrel based on resale disaster. If it's a forever gun to you, do it. If your going to sell it, don't do it. My .02

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve been shopping for a rifle and I want a brake. Anything without is not an option.
But I’m not buying anything collectible I’m buying a hunting rifle and don’t want the [bleep] kicked out of me

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What caliber? There is a reason so many rifles are threaded right from the factory , people want them. Do you have the box? Paperwork? All these things add value to the rifle. I have thought about adding a brake to my classic in 338 stainless. I have the box and all the paperwork so I probably wont.
If buying I would rather have it original.
So I think it’s going to come down to the individual and what they are looking for. Some guys will go “ oh its got a brake” and others will go “ Hey Its Got a brake”. Priced right it wont matter, there is a butt for every seat as my dad would say.
Oh and I bet you can get a thread protector on one of the auction sights.

Last edited by 338reddog; 01/06/23.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I only own one rifle with a brake a Kleinguenther k15 improved in a 270 weatherby mag It came from Kleinguenther that way... I’m sure it’s a kdf brake Wasn’t crazy about the look but I adore the rifle it’s beyond accurate and the recoil is comparable to a 243 I wouldn’t dare take it off v have never shot it without hearing protection.....:

Last edited by Live2hunt941; 01/06/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an open mind regarding suppressors, as they definitely have their uses for some, maybe even me someday, so I didn’t avoid some new rifles that came threaded. I detest brakes on anything larger than a .22 LR or less than something like a .50, and carefully removed one that came on a .308 and put it carefully away.

Personally, I’d be wary of an aftermarket threading unless I go to examine or shoot it, or the identity of the smith was known, as they do get futzed up on occasion. It would definitely affect the value of anything “collectible”, though I don’t regard the NH Classics as such myself.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
For the life of me, I do NOT understand the need for a muzzle brake/ suppressor? Maybe knitting would be a good alternative to shooting a gun.
I've been shooting suppressed since 2015 and I can't stand to shoot any other way. Once you get a suppressor, your biggest regret is that you didn't get one sooner.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Agree with Pappy about who did the barrel threading. Treaded for a break is one thing but if you put a suppressor on the barrel, everything has to be perfect to avoid a baffle strike / poor accuracy. Most shooters do not like muzzle breaks and I would never buy an aftermarket threaded barrel with a break. I fear you would need to offer a big discount to make a sale.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks everyone. I have plenty of information to go on

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Wouldn’t buy or want a gun with a muzzle brake

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

turbine1
Life Member of the NRA
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G.I "One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!" You might want to pass this on, as many seem to forget both of them!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by turbine1
There is a lot more going on there than the brake. Like the two holes on on the barrel with what looks like pitting and the sight blank missing sights

Last edited by 338reddog; 01/06/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I prefer a brake personally on my hunting rifles for several reasons. I would see it as a plus unless it's on a classic rifle.

Live and die by the Browning...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,486
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.